(Topic ID: 109521)

Experience with Hemisphere Amusements?

By Jazman

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin (resized).png
    eddie-griffin-popcorn.gif
    Spaghetti (resized).png
    52bc7f057decaf8ee5c6b39f2369961106c4528181510c0c502391e49216f4c5 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hemispheres.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago

Ha.. We figured you'd pop up here. When I'm done dealing with customers who appreciate what we and how good we do it, I'll get back to you here and post a list of events of what REALLY happened here Joe. You can bet your bottom dollar with what you put us through I have every lick of documentation. I knew from the moment I started speaking with you I had a bad vibe. Hindsight is 20/20 and I should have trusted my gut. Any business owner knows there's good business in Bad Business. You my friend were bad business. Shame on me. Stay tuned and I'll be sure to report back here for a list of detailed events of what really happened with this transaction. Apparently you're having memory failure in your golden years.

TBC

#31 6 years ago

Thank you everyone.

darcangeloel, ForceFlow nailed it. We absolutely wanted to refund this customer the money. The problem was he immediately after rejecting the game opened up Paypal disputes on all six of his payments.
    This obviously caused PayPal to lock everything up. We cannot refund money once these cases are open. I don't know if it's because of the amount of the transactions or what but we simply did what PayPal asked because he filed these claims under "item not received" when in fact was at his doorstep. So when PayPal saw all the requested paperwork , bill of lading his rejection yada yada it just created a confusing drawn out mess for them because they're used to a box going UPS or Postal so they're looking for a tracking number/ delivery confirmation whatever. They literally had no clue what a bill of lading or a pro tracking number was. Unfortunately I let this customer talk me into PayPal and my policy is always been no PayPal. It will never ever happen again that is for sure. Anyhow, long story short, we gladly wanted him refunded so we can move on to other customers that know how we operate and appreciate what we do for them. Like it was posted in the other thread every once in awhile you just have to fire a customer. We as a distributor had made the decision to refund him because we just knew what we were in for with this particular customer. Once the game was on its way back we were done. We're over it and I just want to kill this so please don't make this a continuation on from the closed thread. there's plenty to read over there I'm just rebutting to what was posted here and moving on.

What I would absolutely like to do here to say a big thank you to the overwhelming support from the pinside community and everybody who understood what really went on and who we really are as a company. We have not been too involved with the pinside community over the years because we are simply slammed in restoration work and new sales as it is, so quite honestly I simply don't have the time to be on here. As it is I run 70 hour weeks and my wife is not happy about it. I did hire my brother for administrative and it has been on my list of things for him to do is to get on here and just say hello to everybody and let them know we're here. Since we're in the home town of pinball and have been in business for over two decades we have a very strong following and a very loyal customer base. Not to mention because of the dense population here always getting new people coming in the door and with the explosion of internet sales and the revamping of our website, it's just made it even busier. I just started posting around on our Facebook page a help wanted ad looking for experienced help to bring on a fourth guy. (so if anybody knows anybody in the Western burbs of Chicago we're hiring)

At the end of the day our loyal customer base absolutely knows how they're taken care of. This has been proven with multiple posts between both threads by people who know us well and have done business with us for years and newbies that were first-time buyers.

I can assure you just about every single new in the box game has some sort of issue. I've literally seen it all. When you own a new pinball it's not like plugging in a brand new Yamaha receiver for your home theater system walking away knowing every time you hit the power button it works. You will need to work on it at some point or another and if that's something you're not prepared to learn and do at the very least be prepared to pay somebody to do it. I have spent countless hours on the phone with people for free helping them out with their machines. It's really not difficult work as most of you know but some people just simply don't want to do it and we understand that as well.

Again please, I don't want to make this continuation of the other thread I just want to move on. I mainly came in to say hello and thank you for everybody's support over the years both from this community and outside of it. Some of you I consider really really good friends and you know who you are and I want to say thank you you guys have been awesome.

That's said we will contribute around pinside where we can and after funds recover from Star Wars LE's (lol) I intend to make a decent contribution to this website just to help this community because there is such an awesome wealth of knowledge within these walls. We are a twenty-six-year-old business with extensive knowledge on the Bally/Williams Data East, Sega , Stern and JJP operating systems along with Distributing new Stern, Jersey Jack, and just about any other coin operated piece of equipment you're looking for we can get our hands on it. And generally at a damn good price. We absolutely bend over backwards for people to make this experience (especially for the first time buyer) as smooth as possible. Unfortunately in this particular situation we were dealing with somebody who is just completely unreasonable and I knew it from day one. And I absolutely knew when this went South he would be all over the Internet blasting us, and quite honestly I'm fine with it. You read one knuckle heads review and then every other single review is a five star positive you pretty much know what's what if you have half a brain. The only person I'm probably more upset with right now is myself for not following my instinct from day one with this particular customer.

Anyhow, sorry this was a bit long-winded. Maybe you'll be relieved to know it might be a bit before I get back on here lol... cuz I'm slammed but I do intend to get my brother Mark involved in this community to help answer any questions they may have for us. Please be easy on him (lol) he's pretty much a greenhorn in this business but has been a huge asset to me so far. If he doesn't have immediate answers he will come to me to get them. As mentioned we are a Stern and JJP distributor and have new in the box games in stock ready to ship. A few more Star Wars LE's remain. In stock games ship same day. We offer many promotions and as you saw from the previous thread we fully insure games third party at no cost to you so we're not relying on the complete garbage carrier insurance or their delays if there actually is a real situation where there is damage. We've had to use it and it is smooth as butter.

One last thank you to all of you again. Hope everybody has a great rest of their week!

Kurt Hill
    www.hemispheresamusements.com

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Am I the only one that thought this thread might be in regards to a Rush pinball machine?

I wish it was! Where do you think the name of my business came from?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow. As a small business owner myself, I TOTALLY get the situation. This is why home building vendors don't usually deal with the public. Way too much hassle, and the rules are different for big ticket items vs (for example) a Yamaha stereo bought at the nearest big box store. What a pain - for both of you.
    I will say though that this post from Kurt makes me want to buy from him. Good distributors are hard to find, in any industry.

Quoted from darcangeloel:

Yup me too. Next time I want to buy a machine I think Kurt will be my first call. Seems like a very cool and honest dude.

Thanks you guys. If you're ever ready to pull the trigger new or used I will absolutely give you outstanding service and the best possible prices and promos we can offer. I absolutely positively take customer service seriously. It's hands down my biggest pet peeve in this country. I can't stand getting run through the mill of an automated system just to get some idiot whos program by management to say what you want to hear but clearly doesn't know jack about what you're trying to get done. If you dial my number you're going to get me. If you get my voicemail you'll get a call back within moments. If you email me you're going to I got a response prompt. It's what I expect when I shop.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

PayPal is great if you're a buyer , but the more I hear about the hassles as a vendor, the more I want to find alternatives for big ticket items...

If you haven't run into a clown like this trust me when you do you have absolutely zero protection. Unless you want to lose your ass don't take PayPal. They will never be taken again for my business. The funny thing is that I've never taken it for big-ticket items because I've always known the buyer has all the rights the seller has none. And I told PayPal it if it wasn't for us you guys wouldn't even have a job because without the products being sold there is nothing. Unfortunately the one time I got my arm twisted into doing it I got Joe.... and we all know how Joe rolls. Honestly, I can't tell you how relieved I am I don't have to deal with him anymore. I seriously wish dealers had a black list because I would throw him at the top. I'm not joking when I tell you I wouldn't want anybody to go through what I did with this dude. Nobody will want to deal with this guy. I guarantee you... nobody. And unfortunately PayPal doesn't care. They're just a bunch of puppets on the phone. Unless you're willing to lose whatever money you collected don't use them. I was fortunate enough to know I was getting my goods back and that's why I cut the ties after I knew it was on the way back. I knew I wouldn't win PayPal and I didn't care... I just wanted my game back and this guy to be gone.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Just adding to the praises of Hemispheres - My story is that I bought my very first two pinball machines from Kurt back in 1997 at his original location. One machine was brand new & the other a clean 'used' machine. (don't think the term HUO was invented yet ) I remember not knowing anything about pinball & was hesitant to buy due to this. He showed me around the store as I tried numerous games while he explained the features, what to shoot for, etc. He didn't place any pressure on me to buy, and actually warned me that these require a bit of upkeep. He assured me that if I ran into issues or had any questions, he'd be happy to assist. I ultimately selected two machines, he loaded up my truck and went over with me how to install the legs and setup the games when I got home. I only had to call him once after that with a basic issue on one of the machines and he gladly walked me through the fix just as he promised. I left pinball for a decade or so following a divorce, but when I got back into it, (& joined Pinside) I reached back out to Kurt and bought a restored machine from him. His work was so good that when I put the 20+ year old machine in my new line up, most of my non-pinball friends couldn't tell that it wasn't brand new, like my other machines.
    Long story short - Kurt is honest, has integrity and can be counted on long after the sale. And from what I've seen in other instances, (pinball & otherwise) that type of business person appears to be a dying breed...

Thank you, your words are greatly appreciated. Although you're really starting to show my age LMAO..... Ugh.... where does the time go

Quoted from OilGuy:

I recently bought a WOZRR from Kurt and was very pleased with how he did business. When I was shopping around last year, Kurt was the only distributor to tell me to wait a few weeks for a 2.0 even though he could have sold me one of the the older versions that day. Using a reputable shipper was also important to him even if that meant cutting into his margin a bit. It made it to Colorado without issue. After the sale he helped me with a couple small issues that were quickly resolved.

Again guys really appreciated. It really makes the long hours worth it when I see stuff like this.

Quoted from nowakster:

I bought a ghostbusters from him. Being aware of the ghosting issues, he made sure there were none before picking up the machine from Stern. To this day, still absolutely no ghosting. Kurt is the cream of the crop when it comes to ensuring as perfect of a game as he can get.

I turned down a lot of sales because of that. But in my book it paid off because I only had one limited edition with ghosting. I try to stay away from GB for a while and stocked nothing. I knew Stern would resolve it I just told everybody that would call me hang tight don't by now and unfortunately I hated doing it but I did not want the headaches and the hassles. Who does?

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You should send an email to other distributors with a heads up about this guy. I'd imagine you know who most of them are.
    In my industry, we share this kind of information all the time. Most of my competitors, I'm very friendly with. We don't want to see each other get financially hurt.

I already did that. Unfortunately I don't know all the dealers but the ones I do deal with I absolutely notified them. I wouldn't want to see any of them hurt either. The good news is I finally got someone with some decision making authority at PayPal and got all my fees back. I was relentless. The bottom tier puppets are a joke. I finally got ahold of a woman who spoke English clear as a bell out of Nebraska and she was awesome. Very apologetic and said she don't know why this went the way it went but this is a case that we will absolutely review. Apparently they've been having a lot of issues with sellers bailing out because of the fact that as a seller you literally have almost no rights when these buyers lock up the funds like this. It is a very automated process and there's very little human decision-making involved. She said there's a computer system that basically takes in all the documentation it gets reviewed briefly but it's pretty regimented. That's a joke! I was relentless and it took me almost an hour on the phone to finally get to her and that was my 3rd attempt over the weeks to get to somebody who actually knew their @$$ from a hole in the ground over there. I'm sure I could probably fight the carrier for mishandling the box but quite honestly, I don't care. I'm just happy to be done and over with with this guy.

What kind of business are you in that you take PayPal?

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Kurt, thank you for posting what happened. You're the kind of businessman I want to deal with.
    Cheers.

We're here if you need ANYTHING. Customer or not. We are always willing to help. We are only 20 minutes from Stern.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from c508:

Adding my voice to the chorus of support for Kurt and Hemispheres!
    After comparing prices at several Midwest distributors I got my GB NIB from Kurt and have had no problems except for the plastic chunk that props the Scoleri drop targets up.
    He had replacements on the way the day after I called him (several of them since it's only a matter of time till it breaks again).
    Good prices, great service, and I'm able to support a local(ish) vendor too.
    Planning on going w/ Hemispeheres again if I get the new SW in 2018!

Thank you for your support. Much appreciated. We feel we really have proved over and over to our customers that our customer service and support is top notch. We WILL do what is needed and we WILL follow up. Thanks your your GB purchase and we will have SW soon! Just let us know when your ready!

ALL PINSIDERS, PLEASE MENTION YOUR A PINSIDER WHEN YOU REACH OUT TO US. NOT ONLY WILL YOU RECEIVE A PINSIDE DISCOUNT, BUT WE WILL BE WORKING ON DOING A PINSIDE PROMOTION WHERE WE WILL DONATE TO PINSIDE FOR ANY NEW IN THE BOX GAME SOLD FROM PINSIDE REFERRALS. ONCE I HAVE SOME TIME TO REACH OUT TO PINSIDE (heck we could not even PM them the first 24 hours...the system would not let us) WE WILL PUT SOMETHING TOGETHER AND ANNOUNCE THIS.

Thanks again for everyone's loyal support. We REALLY DO appreciate this.

#60 6 years ago

You guys are awesome. Really..... And I have to give my sincere thank you to pinpinpin for the business.....hahahaha were selling games because of this and the other thread. Thanks Joe. I made up the profit loss and aggravation from your transaction 4 fold thanks to you reviving this thread and starting the other. Have a beautiful day. We are!

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Paypal is a consumer demanded necessity, but agree with the difficulty they create for the vendor.
    I chose to use my banks policy, and Block paypal from removing any funds.
    Sure, I had a few disputes, and I pissed them off, they required I reinstate they could withdraw, which I did, but 30 days later, I flipped it back.
    To me, disputes will happen, but for the fees they charge for being a money charger, I feel any dispute should take 30 days at least, before funds are withdrawn, or longer, and if its faster, it should be advanced by the CC company.
    On another note, Kurt, youve gained a ton of respect, especially to share your issue was a customer who makes up their own rules!
    I have one to share, I had a customer who put a 6.3v in a 12v, on a HEP game. Their error.
    The smoke from the LED filled the playfield.
    Customer wanted me to pay shipping 2 ways of game and "smoke removal", etc.
    Ultimately, he wanted close to 2K, to cover his $.59 misapplication.....I too, fired the customer!

Thanks oldpinguy. Sounds like your a really reasonable guy as well. I will always work with anyone, but one hand washes the other and when respect is lost one one side or the other there is nothing left. Nobody gets anywhere on a one way street that ends with a brick wall.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

As a business owner I rather fight a contested charge with a bank card over PayPal any day. It's pure amateur hour when dealing with anyone at PayPal.

Nailed it. Ditto....

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have been contacted several times by "PayPal" to offer them as a payment option for my customers. I am in the automotive repair business and I could not tell them NO quick enough. If I have a problem customer, I can very easily demand cash only for payment.
    I had one recently where the wife authorized $500 in repairs and the husband called back 3 hours later and said we don't want the work done. Way too late, vehicle was 80% done by that time. He came in all bent out of shape and told me he was going to contest the charges. I told him sorry, no credit cards, no checks, cash only for your invoice. He went ballistic and said he was calling the police. I handed him the phone number for the non emergency line. He then told me he was just going to take his car and I explained the second the vehicle leaves my property, I report it stolen and will press charges for theft of services.
    He came back the next morning with cash. Wife was completely embarrassed by this jerko and I felt bad for her. I will probably never see these people as customers again, but as a business you have to protect what is right.

Isn't it sad how we (not just pinball dealers....I mean people) have to operate now? Everyone has to protect their ass. I sold a new Star Trek Premium pin today to a local. Long story short (he is a newbie) he wanted the game asap but was worried his check would delay things etc... I said better yet I will take it on delivery. Your word on the order (and your check) is good. (he is in a high dollar area so I knew he was not a crook) It should be right? I mean isn't that how it's SUPPOSED to be? You call me, you want the item, ok, I'll write it up and we will be there for the delivery. No problem. It really breaks the ice when you GIVE the trust. You then may actually get it back. I am a big believer in the golden rule. Treat those as you expect to be treated. This conversation started out with "are you sure this in new in the box" and can you send me a picture" etc. Who knows what has happened to him. Maybe it was not even a pinball but somewhere someone screwed the guy. I gladly took the pictures and sent them after the order was written up and I hung up the phone, but it just goes to show how everyone walks around covering their ass and the days of the handshake are past. There is a lyric I like. "Folks are basically decent, conventional wisdom would say...but we read about the exceptions in the papers everyday.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

The difference is that PayPus only requires a "difficult customer" to log on and click ONE BUTTON to initiate a dispute. TOO EASY TO DO!!
    A credit card chargeback 'usually' requires a person to front up at a bank with all paperwork in hand before a chargeback is considered.
    This is a VERY big difference IMO as it slows down frivolous chargebacks.

I only have ever had ONE case with someone trying to dispute on a visa and it was a long time ago so maybe things have changed a bit but all I had to do was present the invoice and the signed slip and it was case closed in my favor. It was a single fax and I was done. I will NEVER EVER take paypal again. They can go pound sand. I don't need them.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from mjenison:

I've had the pleasure of dealing with Kurt on multiple occasions. Besides running a stand-up business as mentioned, Kurt has helped me and many others in the collecting community in the area. Great guy who is an asset to the hobby.

Thanks Mark!

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crazypins:

Kurt is Aces in my book. I bought a TWD Premium from him. I'm sure he got a few chuckles from dealing with me. He gave me a great deal. This guy is way more than fair. Buy from him. I will be buying all my future machines from him. He is the best. Everything from Kurt was as promised. Thanks Kurt for everything. I wish all my pinball purchases went as well as this one did.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nah, the family got me a bunch of old, retired, grumpy shirts...so I changed my Avatar!
    Ill say one thing, if you were the distributor in my area, your presence here would deserve all my business!

Quoted from jrockne:

I ordered my SW premium from Kurt yesterday! Thanks Pinpinpin for putting Hemispheres on my radar. Kurt was super friendly and informative. Thanks Again!
    vdojaq: I've already got a Woz any other options?

Man...you guys are gonna give a fat head here...I'm just doing my job. Seriously, if dealers are that bad how the heck do they stay in business? I mean is it that hard to just do what your supposed to do? lol...

THANK YOU for all the kind words, but really, it's what I'm paid to do....

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Oiler2112:

Damn! I saw this and was going awesome!!! They are finally making a Rush pin!!!

Dude....don't tease me like that...

And thanks for the order!
    Rush on....

2 years later
    #83 4 years ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

Had another great experience with support from my distributor, Kurt @hemispheres Amusements. Had another occurrence of wires breaking under the Black Pearl mini playfield of my JJPOTC. He met me at his shop way outside normal business hours to solder them for me and then took a lot of extra time to come up with an idea to help bulletproof the area to lessen the chance of the issue recurring so often. Very nice to have Kurt’s experience on my side! He and Mark at Hemispheres have been amazing.

Hey Chris, Thanks so much. This is greatly appreciated as is your business! Thanks again!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hemispheres.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hemisphere-amusements?tu=Hemispheres and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.