PXL_20200913_204358216 (resized).jpg
mars trek caisses (resized).jpg
E4F2594A-A635-4F42-8981-C2C16DFA2DE2 (resized).jpeg
MarsTrekComparison (resized).PNG
IMG_20180128_184911754_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg
IMG_20180128_184937833 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Howdy,

Snagged a nice Mars Trek last year from the Pacific Northwest and its finally up and running. One of the things that stands out with this machine is that the colors on the cabinet are not the normal white and red and blue. Instead this one has baby blue, blue and orange. Also note that the playfield is painted with a different pattern. Layout is exact same, but the design is dramatically different in some areas.

Looked around and found one other photo (with no source) that shows same cabinet. Also you can see that the original flyers have a playfield that matches this one. Did lots of searching around but don't see any mention on the web about different variations of this game. Am thinking maybe the first x number the rolled off the factory floor had different color and artwork, but would like confirmation and curious as to rarity.

Anyone have any leads?

IMG_20180128_184937833 (resized).jpgIMG_20180128_184937833 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180128_184911754_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20180128_184911754_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Bump, because pinballholder is a righteous dude and that mars Trek is a blast to play.

#3 6 years ago

Not much info on Sonics, but your guesses seem fine. Take some nice pics and send them to ipdb!

#4 6 years ago

Here is a good side by side of normal art and colors and what this one has...

MarsTrekComparison (resized).PNGMarsTrekComparison (resized).PNG

#5 6 years ago

i have owned two Mars Treks
and pretty sure both had standard red white blue CAB and
had the mainly baby blue large swirl around the red bonus lites.
Never noticed that the flyer had slightly different artwork than my game before.

#6 6 years ago

Interesting. Mine also has the “standard” colors on the cab and playfield. Pretty cool yours is unique.

I cant wait to play mine once we get it running!

E4F2594A-A635-4F42-8981-C2C16DFA2DE2 (resized).jpegE4F2594A-A635-4F42-8981-C2C16DFA2DE2 (resized).jpeg

#7 6 years ago

coolies
I think the art on your prototype is better than what they went with
the red on the upper playfield seems to be a guide to the shots

#8 6 years ago

Try contacting Jay of the IPDB. Regardless of the information that may be out there, it would be nice to add your photos and permanently document your find to the database.

#9 6 years ago

try calling 1-800-KICKERS

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

try calling 1-800-KICKERS

This would be funny if the game was a Stern.

And dude.. a proto Mars Trek? EPICALLY JEALOUS...

#11 6 years ago

I think I prefer the standard red,white & blue CAB color artwork
and also prefer the standard bottom half of the PF artwork with Red bonus insert lites,
but like the proto artwork scheme for the upper half of PF.

1 year later
#12 4 years ago

Hi,
You're not alone : https://www.flipjuke.fr/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=136715

mars trek caisses (resized).jpgmars trek caisses (resized).jpg

1 year later
#13 3 years ago

Bumping an old thread here with a sighting.
I'm repairing a Mars trek in Lodi Ca less than 3 miles from my house and notice it looks odd. It's another of the weird designs. That means 2 of these are in a 3 mile area.

This one one is in nice shape

PXL_20200913_204358216 (resized).jpgPXL_20200913_204358216 (resized).jpg
#14 3 years ago

Both styles of the different playfields were next to each other during gspf last year. Not sure who I was talking with but the explanation I got for the change in the playfield was that the way the rocket goes from left to right in the middle of the playfield the ball didn't travel in that direction so they changed it. It's definitely on my short list to buy if one ever becomes available local.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

Both styles of the different playfields were next to each other during gspf last year. Not sure who I was talking with but the explanation I got for the change in the playfield was that the way the rocket goes from left to right in the middle of the playfield the ball didn't travel in that direction so they changed it. It's definitely on my short list to buy if one ever becomes available local.

Highly recommended! I bought one locally for cheap, it was a disaster project (black mold) in an unheated farm cellar under the furnace’s main run.

I didn’t know anything but I thought it was kinda cool. I knew it was considered one of the fastest EMs. The longer I’ve had it and the more I play it, it’s clearly one of the top 10. Everyone who’s played it has enjoyed it, and it’s even turned on some collectors to EMs who never even bothered before!
If the chance ever comes up, would definitely grab the alternate artwork! That giant swirl is SO cool!!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

One is Mike Huntsman's, one (the prototype) is mine. Not sure of the 3rd one.

Not that know another one exists I'll try and get it for GSPF 2021

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-sonic-mars-trek-variations?hl=ballycrazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.