Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by manadams
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 1 year ago

I'm thinking about picking up Elvira with the new run, but have only a few reservations.

I have played EHOH a good deal but not knowing fully the rules such as trailer trash (picking up the mode bonuses on completion) and probably have played it at a 70% understanding level. When I had one in my house (temp trade for a few weeks the code was super early not a lot of modes were in the game so I don't know how far it's come in the past 2-3 years).

I have 3 minor critiques:
1) it's fairly easy shooter (simple layout), seems like there are no interesting shots?
2) is it too long playing (the dreaded LotR long playing)?
3) is it a difficult game to get working (or problematic)? I know every pin has some issues but I did have EHOH for a temporary trade once and the house / diverter didn't and had to be repaired more than once.

However, it seems like it has a good number of positives
1) great code and theme (asset integration)
2) strong reputation and not super common at this point that might make it easy trade bait in the future
3) easy shooter (simple layout) this is a pro as well to me when some pins might struggle to get anywhere but this seems to be fairy easy to complete the modes. I can't tell you how many games which I like but I can't get any traction because the games are so difficult that it might be nice to have a softball game in my lineup and helpful for novice players.

#2 1 year ago

FWIW, we've had our elvira 3 yrs now, not a single issue, except crypt alignment. Far from an easy game, if you set pitch to 6.5 and open the out lanes. Have only been over a billion 2 times, but I'm old and an average player

#3 1 year ago

Maybe the best shaker integration I've ever played, game sounds phenomenal with pinwoofers too.

#4 1 year ago

It's one of my long term keepers. Going on 3 years and still a game I play a lot. No issues with mine with over 1000 plays on it

#5 1 year ago

EHOH was my ultimate “this is a GREAT game, I know it is, but I just don’t want to play it, ever.”
Layout is awesome.
Toys are awesome.
Ramps are butter.
Lighting is great.
Integration is awesome.
Theme is kind of quirky fun….(I’m 41 now)

But I never wanted to play, ever.

Technicals:
If you play frequently you WILL absolutely encounter alignment and opto issues.

Reference:
I think the following are a few magical 2-flipper masterpieces that I’m always down to want to play:
MET
SW
GOTG
DP
TWD
IM

#6 1 year ago

It’s really fun. It’s REALLY fun. Helps immensely if you are a fan of /ever watched Movie Macabre back in the day. You already know if you think the humor is funny and the creepy vibe is your thing. Do I stand there critiquing the fan layout as I’m playing it? No, I am too busy having a blast. Best theme integration since the Hobbit (which is a good thing, IMO the best ever). So if you hate fun, skip it!

My game was built Oct 2019, have not had any alignment or opto issues, ever. Had to make 1 adjustment out of the box (possibly a Stern record). Sorry to hear the other dude had some problems.

Edit: I mentioned this thread and my wife reminded me that this is one of THREE games I am never allowed to sell (TZ, GZ are the others).

#7 1 year ago

I think it's some of Lyman's best code (and that may be enough), it's very complete and if you like the quirky theme, it's great. I've had to deal with that house diverter a couple times (once on each machine I've had, an SLE and now 40th), but its usually just a screw coming loose. I sort of have to make myself play it, it doesn't call me over, but at the same time when I'm playing it, I love it. I'm hesitating on whether it's a $23k keeper, if I were into this theme more, yes 100%, but not sure. A premium or LE or something half has much, it would be bolted. My 2 cents. While some of the shots are easy, I don't think it's an easy game by any means, I've only gotten to the final wizard once, and sometimes it kicks my butt right out of the gate. the slings are way high power (even when turned down) and make getting control of the ball a little more difficult.

#8 1 year ago

It's great for intense play, if you want to try getting to the end...and great to play if you just want to chill and enjoy the campy vibe.

#9 1 year ago

Great game, easier fun shooter, Lyman and code complete. GAPPA ANGRY is one of the best modes ever.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Great game, easier fun shooter, Lyman and code complete. GAPPA ANGRY is one of the best modes ever.

I disagree, Gappa is the best!!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I disagree, Gappa is the best!!

have not owned it. but isn't the code deep? and it's a horror/monster theme. these themes, for whatever reason, seems to work well for pinball. i'd get it.

#12 1 year ago

I've had mine for almost two years, and it's my favorite game. And I have some good ones in my game room. I didn't buy one on release because I was also worried about the basic shot layout. Fear not. It just has so much more going for it. The theme, sounds, callouts, music, amazing rules (thank you, Lyman), three interactive ball locks, one of the best toys in pinball (the house), plus the crypt. Last but not least, one of my favorite toppers.

Get it, and you can thank me later.

#13 1 year ago

One of Stern's best to date. In the top 5.

#14 1 year ago

It’s amazing, almost a perfect pinball experience. Definitely get one!

#15 1 year ago

It's a no brainer to own one, just turn off the extra balls if you're a decent player. Would like to get one back but paying less than $8K a few years ago VS $10.5K now is a hard pill to swallow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edgemoor, DE
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-opinions-please?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.