(Topic ID: 215416)

Does anyone own a 3D TV?

By mcclad

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

I've always thought of 3D as a Fad. Was never sold on it. But when I had to get a new TV in 2012, I got one with 3D, mainly because they pretty much all came with it. Since then, I'd buy blurays with 3D if it was something decent. It was fun. Nothing I wanted to watch all the time. Just occasionally.
    But now that I've got a collection of 3D blurays, I'd be a little bummed if my TV went bad and had to get a new one without it. I feel that once it's gone. It's gone. There's no reason for it to make a comeback this soon. If it does come back, it will be 10+ years from now.

3D will be back, to a certain degree, when the new Avatar series starts rolling out. There are just some great titles out there: Avatar, Gravity and even Jurassic Park are just so good. I couldn't imagine watching Avatar in 2D.

Side note, I wonder how many people who don't like 3D movies also don't like 2D Virtual pinball?

#52 6 years ago

I watch 3D movies through the Playstation VR headset and it does a good job of simulating a theater experience. Hugo and the Transformers movies have very good 3D throughout. I also enjoyed Dial M for Murder in 3D, it was cool to see how Hitchcock used the effect. Relating back to pinball, I saw that CFTBL is available on 3D Blu-ray but I haven't picked it up yet. The Wizard of Oz 3D release is surprisingly well done too.

#53 6 years ago

They say it's dead but all the blockbuster films (Marvel, Solo, etc) are being released in 3D...and most animated films.....

#54 6 years ago

I watch every movie I can in 3d on my Epson projector (5025UB), and I've got a huge collection. Animated films work the best because everything is in focus front to back, and in general they're brighter. Plus they can do fun stuff to take advantage of 3d. Still, I love watching the Marvel films in 3D. My family tires of 3d but not me. Keep it coming!

Like other have mentioned, the best place to get new 3d movies is amazon uk. If you buy multiple movies, it's cheaper than the advertised price because you get a shipping discount. Pay in GBP with a cc that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. If you pay in USD, they charge a 3% premium over the current exchange rate (but they don't tell you that).

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Like other have mentioned, the best place to get new 3d movies is amazon uk.

Yes, most are Region Free!

#56 6 years ago

Ratatouille in 3D is Region B. So for that I have to use a computer with PowerDVD Ultra and set it to Region B.
    I also have some 3D movies from Russia, like Kung Fu Panda (1), Wonder Woman and the Shrek series. eBay for those. Can't read any of it but they have the original English audio tracks, and are region free.

#57 6 years ago

I am actually sad that nobody is making new 3d TVs today. I want to upgrade to a new 4k HDR tv from my 1080p plasma, but none of them support 3D. I may need to look at a 4k tv from 2016.

I'm probably going to end up keeping my current plasma TV even after I upgrade to a new 4k tv. I may need to build a second home theater system.

#58 6 years ago

It is a shame that new TVs don't have 3D, such as the Samsung QLEDs. But 4K projectors do- I've had good 3D experiences with the Sony 4K projector, and recently bought the Optoma laser 4K projector that has just come out... and has 3D! It's very bright and sharp focus, though I haven't tried 3D yet (which says it all, I guess).

I've bought a lot of 3D blurays from Amazon UK- as has been said, it's a good source of the 3D spice.

#59 6 years ago

Sony 850C 75" & Sony Z9D 75" 3D owner here. I love 3D, the Thor Ragnarok scene where Thor and Hulk fight in the arena, the size and depth, the green fireworks that come from the crowd and blast when hulk comes out.... OMG trumps the 4K verison, both run on my OPPO!

I think the biggest misconception is the distance to watch 3D from, I found that sitting further away "if possible" yields the best experience and reduces most ghosting issues that so many reviews talk about.

I been buying up all the 3D movies I can get my hands on & 4K to watch on my Z9D.

BTW, Sony still sales the Z9D (USA) or ZD9 (UK) its a 3D FALD LCD 4k from 2016, still for sale in 2017, 2018! 3 years!!!
    if you think its not up to par with OLED, buddy you better go see it in person... yeah it will shut you up, blacks for days, with some serious brights, makes HDR pop.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-own-a-3d-tv/page/2?hl=rivv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.