(Topic ID: 338981)

Aside from code updates, do you use your Stern Insider Connected on your pin?

By PismoArcade

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Aside from code updates, do you use your Stern Insider Connected on your pin?”

• Yes 100 votes
    59%
  • No 70 votes
    41%

(170 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5713916D-1D23-40F7-8489-79024C7C22D1 (resized).jpeg
3jgukd (resized).png
DSC01057 (resized).JPG
DSC01059 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 7.47.58 AM (resized).png
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 months ago

This will probably come down to the age of the collector but I tried mine once, shugged and haven't used it since. I'm also old.

How about you? (Poll included.)

Edit: I absolutely love the software update feature.

#2 10 months ago

I do! I even added it to the one game I own that didn’t have it. I love achievements, and home team.

I really can’t wait for the home leaderboards

#3 10 months ago

I'm old and I use it. I love living in the future.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

This will probably come down to the age of the collector but I tried mine once, shugged and haven't used it since. I'm also old.
How about you? (Poll included.)

I am old and I use it.

So does my wife.

Set up home team, makes it much easier to use.

We have also put it on every game (Spike 2) that we have.

Bring on home leaderboards!

#5 10 months ago

My games dont have it, but i could retro fit it on one or 2. I cant be bothered. I refuse to use it on location too. Hate it. Trying to play, waiting for people to unlock their phones and swipe the damn app,then it dont work, do it again. I want to play pinball. If i want to play with a computer or get some stupid ass app to work, Ill go to work. And before anyone asks...im only 40.

#6 10 months ago

Hopefully people that are saying they don't use it are at least using it to do Wi-Fi software downloads?

#7 10 months ago

I set up home team on mine and only use it to track achievements. No online leaderboards or anything like that.

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hopefully people that are saying they don't use it are at least using it to do Wi-Fi software downloads?

Oh yeah...I love the software update feature! No more downloading to my Mac!

#9 10 months ago

Meh. The only achievement I care about is the GC score.

#10 10 months ago

No, i dont use it at all. For me it just seems like something else to hassle and keep up with. Plus I don't want to have to dick around with my phone when I play pinball. The achievements and stuff just doesnt interest me at all.
But, Im also old and dont like most new stuff anyway.

#11 10 months ago

Nah it’s dumb. But lots of people
Come over and use it.

And of course it’s awesome for software updates.

#12 10 months ago

Under 30, relatively new to the hobby, location player only.

I haven't bothered with it yet. As others have said, I don't wanna futz with my phone/wifi/apps/etc when I'm playing pinball. For me it's very specifically an activity removed from digital/social media and adding that component back in isn't for me.

#13 10 months ago

Just for achievements....fun stuff.

#14 10 months ago

I set it up with Home Team. Easy to just hold the flipper button & then track achievements. I’ve tried to get friends to sign up before they come over so they can scan their QR, but no one has yet lol

#15 10 months ago

I really only use it for updates over wifi. I was able to unlock Cygnus X-1: Hemispheres on Rush using it. Then I'm able to select that song on other IC Rush games. The achievements I don't really care about or keep track of.

#16 10 months ago

Yes, enjoy the achievements. Wish they’d do more with them though.

#17 10 months ago

Nope. No interest in it. Plus there is no way to know whether or not anyone has their glass off so who cares?

#18 10 months ago

Nope. The only achievements I care about I can see scroll by in attract mode.

#19 10 months ago

Sometimes…I forget to take my phone down to the basement, but when I do I scan the QR code. Also, I only have FF with insider connected.

#20 10 months ago

I scan almost every time on location but maybe once a month at home. I set up the home team but I'm to lazy to turn on my hotspot for it to connect.

#21 10 months ago

Yes.

#22 10 months ago

No. Just updates.

#23 10 months ago

I use it religiously ! If I don’t , for sure that next game will be my masterpiece for the
Pinball Gods , but then lost forever for the masses to witness ……

Also just pretty darn good to download game updates …

#24 10 months ago

Ya gotta wonder what kind of data mining Stern gets from this system and whom they sell that information too. It’s not for me.

#25 10 months ago

Yes, I like it.

Achievements are fun.
Software updates are super easy.

I find that I use it at home but not on locations. It’s a few to many clicks away from the opening of my phone. An app would fix that problem.

#26 10 months ago

Yeah, it’s there so why not? I wouldn’t pay to add it to my games but it’s a fun diversion.

#27 10 months ago

Abso F'n Lutely! We need bragging rights in my house!

#28 10 months ago

I login with my games that have it but wouldn't retrofit the ones that don't have it. For me it is game specific the achievements on Deadpool are not too hard to get almost all of them but on Rush more challenge and things to unlock like specific songs.

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I find that I use it at home but not on locations. It’s a few to many clicks away from the opening of my phone. An app would fix that problem.

An app would require a lot of extra development rather than just a mobile webpage page that should run on most anything and looks just like an app. Just put a link icon on your phone desktop to get there with one click. Or use the phone camera with the QR code on the location machine and your phone should go to the insider website directly to pull up your QR code.

#30 10 months ago

I really like it. Last week I was sitting at work when I got an email that new code dropped for Bond. I went into my Amazon account and remotely turned on my pinball machine via Alexa. My machine, once turned on, downloaded and installed the code. When I got home, I had a much better game with new modes to play instead of fidgeting with thumb drives and the like. I am also having fun getting the little achievements.

#31 10 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

An app would require a lot of extra development rather than just a mobile webpage page that should run on most anything and looks just like an app. Just put a link icon on your phone desktop to get there with one click. Or use the phone camera with the QR code on the location machine and your phone should go to the insider website directly to pull up your QR code.

If you have an iPhone you can just add the QR code to the Apple wallet app and it just pulls right up. Not quite as elegant as its own app but still one click and no login.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 7.47.58 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-06-27 at 7.47.58 AM (resized).png
#32 10 months ago

Tried it a few times but gave up when I realised there are no home leaderboards. No idea why Stern are so slow to implement this.

Chasing badges doesn’t interest me at all and as it is now, that’s pretty much it’s only feature for home use.

Having said that remote update is good but not exactly revolutionary.

#33 10 months ago

Yes. Achievements are here to stay. Getting 3 secret skills in one game on Aerosmith isn't easy. Got it done and got the award. Thing like this give you more reasons to play.

#34 10 months ago

My only real complaint at this point is the lack of a home leaderboard.
Using the Insider website to be able to find location games nearby wherever you are is really cool. I have friends who don't even have games that use it to find places to go and play. Operators who are not fully into Insider are definitely losing out.
The Wi-Fi updates alone are worth having it for. I'm not huge on achievements but I know I'm having a good game when I get some and it makes me feel good. One thing that I hadn't expected was how nice it is to actually see an accounting of how much I play each of my games. In the past there was some denial on when it was time to move on from a game because I wasn't playing it anymore. Now if I haven't played a game in a month or two, it's right there staring me in the face telling me it's time for a trade.

#35 10 months ago

Eh.

Even with Home Team, I probably only use it 30% of the time.

I do like not having to format a USB drive, download the software update, take off the backglass and plug something in every time new code drops. That's nice.

#36 10 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Meh. The only achievement I care about is the GC score.

Amen brother

I can't stand the ugly white butthole Stern decided to gum up the apron with. Totally ruins the esthetics and is an eye sore. I like to update my own games when I decide to do so(USB stick is easy). Sometimes I keep older code because I like it better and like to try and advance with current rules/settings. It seems to be good for tournament players with the TV screen showing standings but Stern should have made it a kit with two options for placement-total failure imo.

Now you see the white butthole-and now you dont

BTW-I got the apron cover from Wizard mods(looks really classy) Now I have to buy one for IMDN as well. Stern fudged up IMDN even worse with the generic bright red advertising that looks horrible.
DSC01059 (resized).JPGDSC01059 (resized).JPG
DSC01057 (resized).JPGDSC01057 (resized).JPG

#37 10 months ago

No - just updates.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I can't stand the ugly white butthole Stern decided to gum up the apron with.

I move it to the coin door. Very simple mod.

#39 10 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

I move it to the coin door. Very simple mod.

Yes but then you have to spend money to cover up the void and money for moving to coin door.
I have complained until I am blue in the face for Stern to move the damn thing(offer as a kit)-but they think gumming up the apron is a good idea for some reason-horrible idea Gomez

#40 10 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes but then you have to spend money to cover up the void

You already have the Wizard mod apparently (as do I). The mod is pretty cheap, but I admit that I designed and 3D print my own. It makes sense on the apron for operated games, but I do agree that I miss having the second lighted insert on the apron. Fortunately I seem to be going with Wizard mods on most games these days and that covers the empty hole.

#41 10 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Fortunately I seem to be going with Wizard mods on most games these days and that covers the empty hole.

Do you think if I write Gomez a letter-I can get reimbursed?

Dear Gomez, I have had to come out of pocket to purchase magnetic apron covers that cover the annoying Stern QR reader. After spending thousands of dollars on Stern pinball machines I should not have to spend monies to cover something up(insert-this is a slap in the face notation). Please send me a reimbursement check attention Quagmire. Yours truly

#42 10 months ago

NO!! We don't have reliable wifi here, and I wouldn't use it if we did!

#43 10 months ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

No, i dont use it at all. For me it just seems like something else to hassle and keep up with. Plus I don't want to have to dick around with my phone when I play pinball. The achievements and stuff just doesnt interest me at all.
But, Im also old and dont like most new stuff anyway.

Don’t need your phone anymore to use it fyi. Home team was a great update.

#44 10 months ago

IC has been a great feature added to Stern machines and the platform is still evolving. Features like special leaderboards are not available now may be available in the future. My 11 year old appreciates getting achievements and it seems the younger generations appreciate this video game like feature. Looking forward to what's to come from Stern IC platform

#45 10 months ago

It's fantastic! My only complaint is that they cornered the market, i wish all machines had it so I wouldn't look like a fool when on I'm on something else! It's really becoming muscle memory at this point.

#46 10 months ago

I changed the title to "Aside from code updates......"

#47 10 months ago

Insider Connected is an awesome and an evolutionary feature for pinball. Now Stern needs to take it to the next level and add more options to it for home players.

I know some people may be against this but I would also like to see DLC / season pass style content added to games. This is a slipperly slope and I say it's only good if a game already has a very deep and well established ruleset. Take Godzilla though at this point as it's code is very deep and polished. How about an expansion pass that adds say another 5 Kaiju modes, a multiball, and a new mini wizard mode? For $300 - $500 I think Stern would get a lot of buyers.

#48 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How about an expansion pass that adds say another 5 Kaiju modes, a multiball, and a new mini wizard mode? For $300 - $500 I think Stern would get a lot of buyers.

Horrible idea

I am already shaking my head with the additional GZ topper mode-I think it is bullshit

So basically we have been beta testers for new Stern machines for many years now. We pay thousands of dollars for pre-mature games with beta code and now you want to pay for polished code(often thanks to pinsiders)? Sorry Charlie but that is not the way it works

#49 10 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ya gotta wonder what kind of data mining Stern gets from this system and whom they sell that information too. It’s not for me.

If you have a phone in your hand you (and everyone) is fucked for data mining already man.

#50 10 months ago

I printed a wallet card of my code and leave it by my pins. But usually just use home team.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
BomberMods

5,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1,700.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Raiden Mods

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 349.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 210.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Muskego, WI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 139.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 499.00
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, VA
$ 24.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-use-your-stern-insider-connected-on-your-pin?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.