(Topic ID: 198757)

Dialed In: Theater Magnet Shot = Shadow's Lock Effect. Did You Know That?

By delt31

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I just bought DI and all of the ones I've played had the magnet by the theater just let the ball drop down back to flippers. I see it this way on streams too however when it's configured correctly, the magnet is designed to throw the ball down then up like the shadow lock. It's a really cool effect and I was surprised that it was even in the game (was on my game day 1). If it wasn't configured like this I wouldn't have even known that it's the right way or possible.

I've taken a short video of it but the magnet is so strong it rips the ball so fast, hard to see. What happens is the ball goes in the theatre, stops on magnet then the ball drops just for a second and is then pulled up super fast and out, leading to the top right flipper which has a super butter smooth shot to the right ramp.

This game is amazing.

#2 6 years ago

If anyone had a theater magnet that is not doing this go into settings and adjust your theater magnet stregnth to (-80) that's MINUS EIGHTY. If it still isn't working decrease the number to -90, -100, etc until it works properly in gameplay or test mode.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

the magnet is designed to throw the ball down then up like the shadow lock. It's a really cool effect and I was surprised that it was even in the game ...

Lawlor already used this in RBION.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Lawlor already used this in RBION.

Cool - didn't know. What shot is this?

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Cool - didn't know. What shot is this?

Shrunken head. It doesn't throw it all the way around but it's aboot the only way it gets into the pops in that game

#6 6 years ago

oh ok. yeah this theater shot really rips and throws. It's awesome and I didn't see it right until I got one myself. All of them usually just drop the ball back to the flippers which is so boring.

#7 6 years ago

Its also has different power options depending what is going on on the theater. Some times it stops and drops the ball.... sometimes it pulses slightly putting the ball in the pops or skill shot area...... most of the time it whips it back around to the upper flipper . Very cool new take on a old trick from shadow......

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

All of them usually just drop the ball back to the flippers which is so boring.

Yes it would be nice if the thing came set up correctly after spending 8k on it

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes it would be nice if the thing came set up correctly after spending 8k on it

Unfortunately every game is different and people set them up differently which drastically effects the setting of this magnet trick.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Unfortunately every game is different and people set them up differently which drastically effects the setting of this magnet trick.

Not only that but the power coming from your home electrical outlets (voltage, cleanliness, etc) might be different than that coming from the outlets in the Jersey factory. Didn't you notice how some of the game coils were not set to "factory" from the factory? The settings for the "factory" settings come from the Engineering office in Chicago, while the games are assembled and tested at the factory in Jersey. There is a difference in the power inside each of their buildings, which would mean that there is probably a slight variation from the power in your house.

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for pointing this out!! So much better now that I switched from -50 to -80.

Quoted from stpcore:

If anyone had a theater magnet that is not doing this go into settings and adjust your theater magnet stregnth to (-80) that's MINUS EIGHTY. If it still isn't working decrease the number to -90, -100, etc until it works properly in gameplay or test mode.

3 months later
    #12 6 years ago

I just got my dialed in and thought I had the magnet set correctly. It seemed to throw around very well after my initial adjustment to -75. It has only been a week since I got the game but I was then noticing that it grabbed the ball, pulsed and actually threw it downward a bit. (Yes, this was in something like package drop that is supposed to whip it around). I then readjusted with the magnet test and got it working. Then in gameplay, it acted up again. I then tried so many settings during the magnet test that the magnet actually stopped working completely for 5 or so minutes. I can only assume that it overheated.

I now have it working that it slowly throws it around but I have no faith that it will work again tomorrow. I am almost afraid to touch the settings. This is really bizarre. Could it be that my magnet is overheating and affecting the performance with gameplay? I have a call into Frank but I am completely puzzled as to why I would see such varied and inconsistent behavior.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

I just got my dialed in and thought I had the magnet set correctly. It seemed to throw around very well after my initial adjustment to -75. It has only been a week since I got the game but I was then noticing that it grabbed the ball, pulsed and actually threw it downward a bit. (Yes, this was in something like package drop that is supposed to whip it around). I then readjusted with the magnet test and got it working. Then in gameplay, it acted up again. I then tried so many settings during the magnet test that the magnet actually stopped working completely for 5 or so minutes. I can only assume that it overheated.
    I now have it working that it slowly throws it around but I have no faith that it will work again tomorrow. I am almost afraid to touch the settings. This is really bizarre. Could it be that my magnet is overheating and affecting the performance with gameplay? I have a call into Frank but I am completely puzzled as to why I would see such varied and inconsistent behavior.

Did u remove the mylar on the magnet? If not than thats what is causing the issue

#14 6 years ago

Nope. Got a fresh xacto knife yesterday but didn’t have a chance yet. I assume the easiest way is to take magnet out from underneath and cut out from bottom? At least that is what I saw suggested. I looked at the theater and it wasn’t clear to me on how to remove it to get to magnet from top.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

Nope. Got a fresh xacto knife yesterday but didn’t have a chance yet. I assume the easiest way is to take magnet out from underneath and cut out from bottom? At least that is what I saw suggested. I looked at the theater and it wasn’t clear to me on how to remove it to get to magnet from top.

Thst or the theater comes up easily

#16 6 years ago

I looked at the manual. Is the theater just 3 screws? It seems the magnet is definitely just 3 screws. If anyone has some details, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 month later
    #17 6 years ago

My magnet works on package and drone. It just locks and drops the ball on volcano and emp. Is that what should be happening? Seems like it should also throw ball on these two modes.

#18 6 years ago

That's correct. EMP drops it down with heavy magnets

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-theater-magnet-shot-shadow-lock-did-you-know-that?hl=insanity199 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.