Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-9 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_archive_1675_26007 (resized).jpg
    20240129_180952 (resized).jpg
    20240129_180910 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1690 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1689 (resized).jpeg
    image-1 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_archive_1679_1489880 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image-3.jpg
    image-4(1).jpg
    IMG_4384 (resized).jpeg
    image-12 (resized).jpg
    5909473B-F368-4434-A30E-79B23404ADAE_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1524 (resized).JPG
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 months ago

I feel like when most people answer "what is the best EM game?" the answers tend to be the games that most resemble modern pinball games, because they figured out how to make pinball fun better than others. I'm looking for the EM games that had the craziest designs, that were actually fun to play.

#3 3 months ago

Fireball and Four Million BC

#4 3 months ago

Spanish Eyes

#5 3 months ago

+1 for Four Million BC

#6 3 months ago

All Ted Zale pins

#7 3 months ago

The Wiggler.

But you want crazy? Check out some early 50s Williams games like Pinky, Skyway, Nine Sisters, and Thunderbird.

#8 3 months ago

+1 for Ted Zale games. Crazy geometry and super satisfying shots, areas of the playfield that are only accessible once certain sequences have been completed, brilliant and crucial skill shots, wild ball save gimmicks, ZIPPER FLIPPERS!, multi balls, mod artwork from Jerry Kelly, and replay games that could be switched to AAB by adding an optional relay…

And, relevant to recent pinball drama, I believe he designed the first pin to have a character physically eat the ball. 1973’s Nip-It, which had a second button next to the right flipper button that caused an alligator to come out from hiding under the swamp reed plastics, eat the ball, and send it to a high scoring zone of the playfield.

His games play differently than any others, and can be brutal until you learn how to nudge the slingshots ( which are angled to send the ball straight at the outlines). Once you wrap your head around controlling them and his wild layouts/ rules, they are an absolute riot to play.

He’s a legendary designer who seems to fly under the radar in popularity, but deserves to be up there with Krynski, Neyens and Williams in any pin collection.

#9 3 months ago

So going through the top 50 em machines on this website, the only ones I'd qualify with a level of craziness(and in some cases, they ain't enough crazy still) are:

8 ball

Heatwave

Nags

Skill Roll(I mean, it's on there, not sure how it plays and qualifies as a pinball machine, but if it's pinball it is crazy)

MELODY

KNOCK OUT

#10 3 months ago

I like BLY SkyRocket and BLY SeeSaw
    whether they are crazy EMs or not, not sure
    but they are a little out of the ordinary.

GTB Majorettes and GiGi are out of ordinary layout and rules set.

I find all above as enjoyable.

#11 3 months ago

Now there is one game I didn't mention on the EM top 50 that intrigues me as a person with a young daughter, which is Dancing Lady, which features a dancing doll on the backglass. But otherwise, not really crazy layout wise.

Most of what you guys have mentioned isn't there in the top 50, probably because tables with barely any reviews are on there.

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Now there is one game I didn't mention on the EM top 50 that intrigues me as a person with a young daughter, which is Dancing Lady, which features a dancing doll on the backglass. But otherwise, not really crazy layout wise.
    Most of what you guys have mentioned isn't there in the top 50, probably because tables with barely any reviews are on there.

I recently experienced a Dancing Lady in of all places, Hungary, and agree it's pretty cool for the back box animation.

#13 3 months ago

EM games that had the craziest designs, that were actually fun to play.

1948 Chicago Coin Crazy Ball

It's a hoot!

#14 3 months ago

#balls-a-poppin is awesome. One of my favorites

#15 3 months ago

Marble Queen.

Very clever game.

#16 3 months ago

Centigrade 37 has a couple of neat features. I like the parallel lanes to the right, the special kick out hole, and of course, the thermometer back box animation.

#17 3 months ago
    Quoted from tfduda:

1948 Chicago Coin Crazy Ball
    It's a hoot!

Looks tantalizing.

Honestly I think I even want to play the ones that are both totally different, and so not how anyone should be playing pinball just to experience the train wreck. But then the list probably gets too long and gangly. And we are really just recommending pain.

#18 3 months ago

One vote here for Gottlieb Derby Day with those flippers 1/3rd of the way up the playfield!

#19 3 months ago

They were mostly all good.

#20 3 months ago

Downsized toward retirement a couple of years ago and sold several games. The only game I miss is my Spanish Eyes. I want another one.

#21 3 months ago

Not a pinball, but an EM. Bally "All the Way"
    The last shuffle Bally produced..

IMG_1524 (resized).JPGIMG_1524 (resized).JPG
    #22 3 months ago

Williams Wildcard. Another pin with a spinner in the center of the playfield leading up to a saucer up top, but the bumpers are offset unlike other pins with similar playfields.5909473B-F368-4434-A30E-79B23404ADAE_1_105_c (resized).jpeg5909473B-F368-4434-A30E-79B23404ADAE_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#23 3 months ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

They were mostly all good.

In the case of weird designs not used often, that may be true. If you mean EMs in general, they made too many EMS for that to be true, there are just too many lazy repeat designs. Though I guess if you throw them all in a tournament setting then, sure. I mean somehow there's a excel world championship, add competition to anything and we got something... exciting.

#24 3 months ago

Another fun, crazy 1954 EM.

Hawaiian Beauty.

image-12 (resized).jpgimage-12 (resized).jpg
    #25 3 months ago

Interflip dragon is pretty crazy and fun.

#26 3 months ago
    IMG_4384 (resized).jpegIMG_4384 (resized).jpeg
    #27 3 months ago

TreyBo69 Nine Sisters

Single flipper game with that neat little loopty-loop outlane kick back on the left. I would *love* to find one of these to try out...

Another one that looks interesting is Williams Thunderbird (not to be confused with the Homepin classic)...
    image-4(1).jpgimage-4(1).jpg

Edit: 1954 seems like a pretty interesting year over at Williams--check out Skyway as well!

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#28 3 months ago

The pitch and bat games I'd say quality and are generally fun to play.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #29 3 months ago

Agree with most of those listed, especially Fireball and Spanish Eyes. Another
    one I have here, a pre-flipper, is a Williams TORCHY. Most think pre-flipper
    games are dull. Not this one! It features two large electro magnets under
    the PF that are normally powered up. A button in the middle of each cuts power
    to that magnet causing the ball to fly off in unpredictable directions. Killer
    artwork too.

Other EM's that are a blast and a bit unusual; Williams Turf Champ and
    Formation. And of course Rockola World Series and JigSaw, two I'd like to find
    someday.
    Steve

#30 3 months ago

Norm Clark is another designer from the 60s and 70s that put out great designs. He wasn't as out there as Ted Zale, but Norm utilized pop bumpers in ways that most other designers wouldn't dare. Where as other designers used pop bumpers to block shots from certain flippers or to randomize ball movement Norm placed them between the flippers, which would allow players to nudge the ball into the pop bumper to send the ball back into play. I may be a little biased but I think Magic City is the superior NC middle pop bumper game when compared to Spanish Eyes.

Pinside_archive_1679_1489880 (resized).jpgPinside_archive_1679_1489880 (resized).jpg

#31 3 months ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Agree with most of those listed, especially Fireball and Spanish Eyes. Another
    one I have here, a pre-flipper, is a Williams TORCHY. Most think pre-flipper
    games are dull. Not this one! It features two large electro magnets under
    the PF that are normally powered up. A button in the middle of each cuts power
    to that magnet causing the ball to fly off in unpredictable directions. Killer
    artwork too.
    Other EM's that are a blast and a bit unusual; Williams Turf Champ and
    Formation. And of course Rockola World Series and JigSaw, two I'd like to find
    someday.
    Steve

Fun fact, when the flipper was introduced, it didn't immediately catch on.

Here's a fun read by Russ Jensen about the history of flippers in pins

http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russ_files/flip.html

#32 3 months ago

Kings & Queens and Fireball.

#33 3 months ago

Not that crazy, but the disappearing pop bumper on games like Gusher and a couple others were pretty unique.

#34 3 months ago

The pitch and bat games I'd say quality and are generally fun to play.

Really depends on which ones. Once they went to scoring flaps and not a full set of ramps in the 1960s, they lost a lot of charm for me.

The 1956 Williams 4-Bagger De Luxe has the look and features I like.

But if you really want over the top, United made some of the best.

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg
    #35 3 months ago

Daisy May had an unusual flipper layout and is fun to play. IMG_1689 (resized).jpegIMG_1689 (resized).jpeg

IMG_1690 (resized).jpegIMG_1690 (resized).jpeg
    #36 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bonk:

Daisy May had an unusual flipper layout and is fun to play. [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Those flippers eat the ball!

#37 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bonk:

Daisy May had an unusual flipper layout and is fun to play. [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

This does look like it’s fun to play!

#38 3 months ago

It's not, all those clamshell flipper games are super annoying to play, pretty much all the DC flipper games aren't much fun, showboat, I think champ, can't remember but while I appreciate it's difference, not fun.
    B

#40 3 months ago

Someone just listed a gottlieb Knock Out on pinside. I would HIGHLY recommend going after it. They very rarely come up. I had to look for mine for 10 years. The price is good too!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-knock-out-6#post-7993834

#41 3 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Someone just listed a gottlieb Knock Out on pinside. I would HIGHLY recommend going after it. They very rarely come up. I had to look for mine for 10 years. The price is good too!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-knock-out-6#post-7993834

Wow, wouldn't mind adding that to my collection.

#42 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mila:

Wow, wouldn't mind adding that to my collection.

You should reach out to him. I was looking HARD, and it took me a decade to find one.

#43 3 months ago

Some of these early games you can almost see the gears slowly turning in pinball designer's minds, trying to figure this out. It's fascinating to see and almost feels wrong how some things, while fun, just stopped being made because I guess they caused too much randomness and unpreventable drains.

#44 3 months ago

Video of apparently the first game to have flippers, 1932 Hercules Novelty Co "Double Shuffle Sr"

With 8 flippers and super helpful arrows.

#45 3 months ago

you guys are venturing into the pure mechanical games and not electro-mechanical

#46 3 months ago

A few really interesting games listed here. 1963 Williams Beat The Clock has a novel flipper arrangement, also you can lock a ball in the 'star hole'. The ball is released when another ball passes thru the top center lane or goes into a side hole. While playing 2 balls, the clock in the backbox ticks away. When it reaches '12', the 6 lites up. Reaching the lit 6 while still playing both balls awards a replay. I've never been able to do it.
    Notice there's no way to trap the ball on the flippers and once a ball leaves the playfield, the clock stops.

20240129_180910 (resized).jpg20240129_180910 (resized).jpg20240129_180952 (resized).jpg20240129_180952 (resized).jpg
    #47 3 months ago

How have I not seen or heard about some of these games?

#48 89 days ago

Another kinda odd ball game is WMS Solids N Stripes... a bunch of pops and 6 kickout holes emulating a pool table. Norm Clark's split bank allowed 2 players to shoot their own unique set of balls by completing kickouts.

Another time based game I thought was decent - WMS Time Travel.

2 weeks later
    #49 76 days ago

Williams Lucky Strike. Fun little game - the backbox has a trough that holds a ball, visible through the back glass. when you get a "strike" a plunger sends the ball across the back box and it rings a large bell

Pinside_archive_1675_26007 (resized).jpgPinside_archive_1675_26007 (resized).jpg
    #50 76 days ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Another kinda odd ball game is WMS Solids N Stripes... a bunch of pops and 6 kickout holes emulating a pool table. Norm Clark's split bank allowed 2 players to shoot their own unique set of balls by completing kickouts.
    Another time based game I thought was decent - WMS Time Travel.

We have one. Didn't restore the cab, just touched it up but the playfield was restored. That game is tough. The clock could be set to make it very easy or just about impossible. Yiu have to really adjust your thinking because at times you want to deliberately lose the ball.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craziest-em-games-that-were-good?hl=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.