View topic image gallery

2015Sep05_015.jpg
2015Sep05_012.jpg
Gusher_cab_close_up.jpg
Gusher_head.jpg
Gusher_front.jpg
Gusher_side_cab.jpg
Gusher_playfield.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Craig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I am contemplating buying a woodrail with a playfield in decent but by no means excellent condition. If I do get it, I would end up replacing the backglass and plastics. (The backglass is shot, and the plastics aren't much better.) Going that far, I'd be interested in having the playfield brought up to a reasonable shape. My prior attempts at playfield restoration have convinced me that this work is not my forte. So, who is doing playfield restorations of this sort and at what price? As I said, the wear on this playfield is not extensive, mainly three fairly small areas (two about an inch square by the lower bumpers and the other surrounding an upper bumper), most of which are a single color--that is, where they aren't worn to the wood. Anyway, as I consider buying the pin, I am wondering what my options might be. As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

#3 8 years ago

Yikes! No, that wouldn't be worth it.

#7 8 years ago

It's a Williams Gusher. I like my pins to be nice (say, 9 on a 10 scale), but they don't have to be fully restored. The problem with this one is that I would have to put several hundred dollars into it anyway, so I was tempted to consider either going further or else pulling back entirely. I don't have a pic here, but I can post one later. This would be a no-brainer if I wasn't having to ship it halfway across the country. If I could pick it up myself, the deal would definitely be worth pursuing.

#10 8 years ago

Wow. This playfield is way, way better than what he had to work with. I tried calling Michelle B. today to get a shipping quote. She wasn't there, so I sent an email. We'll see whether that puts this in the "just too expensive to bother" category or not.

#16 8 years ago

This isn't a great picture, but it's what I have. You need to zoom in to see the wear well:
Gusher playfield.jpgGusher playfield.jpg
And yes, I do know that the flippers are upside down! Obviously, it needs new plastics, posts and rubber.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Nothing worse than bad touch up's.

I agree, which is why I wouldn't want to do it myself. I'd have it done only if I believed that someone was likely to do an excellent job. I know it's possible, but I also realize that it is likely to be expensive. I was curious to explore the options.

P.S. The worst wear is in the "Advances" yellow patches near the lower bumpers.

#21 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I am still waiting on pics of the cab. Assuming it is in reasonably good shape...I am going to have to figure out where to put it!

#24 8 years ago

Just received some pics of the cab. It is more scratched up than I expected. Hmmm...
Gusher side cab.jpgGusher side cab.jpgGusher cab close up.jpgGusher cab close up.jpgGusher front.jpgGusher front.jpgGusher head.jpgGusher head.jpg
What do you guys think? Par for the course? Better to pass and look for another example later?

#26 8 years ago

Well, if you put it like that...

Actually, it is an honest question. All of my other pins, including my EMs, are in considerably better condition than this one. Perhaps I just need to adjust my expectations.

#29 8 years ago

I don't think so. He has had this one for decades.

#32 8 years ago

You bet. Glad it's found a good home.

#37 8 years ago

The pin was close to Rod but a long way from me in a fairly remote location. The likely cost of shipping from the sticks meant that the deal would make far more sense for someone living up that way who could pick it up. Given that fact, I was willing to back out. There are many, many more pins out there. My problem is definitely not in having too few choices!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfields
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Craig.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-and-options-of-woodrail-playfield-restoration?tu=Craig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.