• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi-

On my Williams Fantastic, the ball spinner sometimes spins and never stops. It’s usually fine with the game is first turned on. But after a couple rounds the spinner just keeps going. I think I think if I the problem as the electronic delay timer has a capacitor that is not testing as it should

The manual calls for a capacitor with values of 50MFD-50 V.

I don’t have any of those at the moment.

The closest I can find in my stash is a
47UF - 100 V.

I know I’m OK to use one with a higher volts value, but I don’t know about the 47 UF versus 50 MFD compatibility

Am I OK to use this 47 UF in place of one that calls for a 50 MFD?
Thx
Pete

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

G-P-E Ed?

#3 2 years ago

I believe that MFD (Micro Farad) is the same as uF, and that uF is really µF (also micro Farad). So the units are the same.

As for the 47 vs 50, most common capacitors are only guaranteed to be about +/- 10% (or maybe 20%?) of the printed value anyway. So the original 50 MFD capacitor might be anywhere from 40-60 MFD. There might be a tiny difference in the delay with the replacement but I'd be surprised if it mattered.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago

47 is the new common value for the older 50. Higher voltage is fine.

#5 2 years ago

50 uf is an old standard value. It is superceeded by 47 uf in today's lingo.

#6 2 years ago

What style cap was the old 50uF one? Can you post a photo? Was it also polarized? If a cap is polarized you need to hook it up in the right spot or you’ll pop it

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

What style cap was the old 50uF one? Can you post a photo? Was it also polarized? If a cap is polarized you need to hook it up in the right spot or you’ll pop it

Yes - it was polarized. I installed the replacement properly. However - I’ve since realized it’s the transistor that’s bad. Had to order some.

Thx!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capacitor-compatibility?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.