BSD dracula mist opto intermittent

By pintris

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi.
I have a problem with my Dracula. When I power on the machine, the long beam opto which goes across the playfield used for mist multi ball does not work the first minute or so. After the machine is on for about a minute it starts working and stays working fine as long as the machine is on. But because it does not work the first minute after powering on, the game is constantly trying to load a ball in the right pocket and releases it again. After 4 attempts it stops doing it and disables the mist multi ball feature. Sometimes the opto starts working soon enough and than everything works fine.
Any ideas what could cause an opto not to work only the first minute that a machine has powered on? When the machine was on and I power it off for a short time, I don't have problems as well. It is only when the machine was powered off over night that the opto does not work the first moments.
Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Optos are usually all or none but make sure it's not working (use your phone camera unless you have something better). Make sure transmitter and receiver opto lenses are clean. Check for a bad solder connection. I've never had an intermittent opto problem, only transmitter (projector) burn out. I think the transmitter is on the right side and receiver on the left on BSD.

#3 4 years ago

Mine was working intermittently at one time. I reflowed the connectors, could see the opto with the camera, did a bunch of troubleshooting, blah blah blah. In the end I replaced the opto light and receiver and that fixed it. My take is replace as they are old anyway and fogedaboudit!

#4 4 years ago

One more idea-there are 2 wires to the opto transmitter on the right side. Use your meter and test the voltage here and start the machine from cold. You should see good DC steady voltage here from start up. If the voltage is not there but suddenly jumps up later you might have a bad capacitor on the driver board. If you have good, steady voltage from start up but the opto is stubborn just replace the opto.

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for your replies, guys. I measured voltage between the two pins of the connector on the opto board where the receiver mist opto is plugged in. I measure around 6.3-6.6 volt right away from the start when powering up. I could not test the voltage at the opto transmitter because I can't reach it. After testing voltage, I quickly tested the opto in switch test (manually going across the beam) and it did not yet work. Only after a minute it started to work. So I guess it really is the opto itself that for some reason needs "time" to warm up before it works. I guess I will need to replace it now. A pity because I will have to take a lot of parts of the playfield before I can access it
Thanks

#6 4 years ago

Often, something that takes time to warm up is due to a cold solder joint. I would reflow the all solder points on both opto boards.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-dracula-mist-opto-intermittent-?hl=pintris and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.