Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Lethal_Inc
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lethal_Inc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

So Im playing a game and all of a sudden flippers go dead ball drains and no ball kick out. Go into coil test and none of my coils are working. The voltage cut off switch appears to be working as is shows it as disabled when coin door is open and goes away when you manually push the switch. Got to be a fuse somewhere, none in the back back appear to be blown, are there more in the cabinet and where?This sucks!

#3 8 years ago

Are there fuses in the cabinet? If so where are they located?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Check the ball trough opto connector

It's not just the ball eject, all coils and flashers are not working.

#7 8 years ago

Fuse F10 controls coils and flippers. Put a new fuse in and even without playing a game it burns that one out too. As soon as you turn the game on the fuse at F10 burns out. Something else is wrong, any ideas?

#8 8 years ago

I reseated the connectors and already went through 2 fuses. At $5.00 a pop for 2 fuses this could get expensive quick. No schematics come with game? Where do I go from here? Instead of playing this pin I'm troubleshooting a brand spankin new game. How depressing.

#11 8 years ago

Most likely there is a short circuit somewhere but where do you start? This fuse controls all coils and flashers in the game. Frickin ridiculous when you pay this kind of money for a game and I'm dealing with a pretty major issue.

#13 8 years ago

What advice and where in the thread?

#16 8 years ago

Yep game is on, all lamps working, display works, no coils and flashers. Fuse F10 blows shortly after turning game on.

#20 8 years ago

Yep called Stern service but they must be gone for the weekend. The schematic shows F10 associated with J1 and J17, reseated and checked both, still blows the fuse. As mentioned earlier this controls all coils and flashers so it's gotta be a playfield wiring issue or in the power driver board somewhere.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Actually, F10 controls low power solenoids and flashers, but on Metallica it seems to be all flashers except for the grave marker motor on the LEs. It doesn't have anything to do with the other solenoids and flippers.
According to the schematic, power (16VAC) comes in from the transformer at J17, pins 6 and 7. J17-7 then feeds the 5 amp slow blow fuse at F10 and out to bridge rectifier 2, where is rectified to 20VDC and feeds out of the driver at J6-10 (and J7-1 on the LEs). What makes it tough to diagnose is that J6 is also the transistor driver connector from many of the flashlamps. The flippers and other high power solenoids get the power from the transformer entering the driver board at J11 and leave through J10, fuses F5-F8. It's a different circuit all together.
Replace the fuse and pull J6 and J7 from the driver board and turn on the game. If F10 burns out without J6 or J7 connected, it's most likely bridge rectifier 2 that's bad. If it doesn't blow with J6 and J7 disconnected, turn game off and replace J6 and turn the game on. If nothing blows, turn the game of and replace J7 and turn the game on.
Report back with what causes the fuse to blow. If you raised the playfield after everything went dead, you probably shorted a flasher.
The game going dead and the flippers not working is probably trough related, either the opto connector, a poorly adjusted microswitch or microswitch connector issue under the playfield.

I believe you. Why can't I test any of my coils then? Even the label in the back box says F10-coils and flashers 20 VDC. So the low voltage coils and flashers obviously. From what I can tell it also feeds back to J1? I will try the above and report back as I stepped away from the frustration for a while.

#24 8 years ago

Ok tried the above and here are the results. F10 blows only when J6 is connected which are the flash lamps and low current solenoids correct? So now that is narrowed down what do I look for in that circuit? That is the playfield wiring to each of the flash lamps and low current solenoids correct? Once J6 is disconnected I can manually test the high voltage coils now so that's good. Another thing I noticed is that when J6 is disconnected the led lamp that shows below each fuse is off on F10 unless you engage the coin door then it gets power to the F10 circuit, thus when I plug J6 in it blows the fuse. Thanks for your help!

#26 8 years ago

Very possible and makes sense. Checking the associated flashers that are on the playfield and associated with J6 pin 10.

#31 8 years ago

Ace Hardware. Home Depot $4.00

#33 8 years ago

Solved! Since I was directed towards the flasher low current solenoid circuit on J6, I started testing continuity on the flashers. Ovfdfireman was right, it ended up being a bad 89 LED lamp on the right side of the sparky flashers. I was getting continuity on those flashers to the left and right. Removed each lamp and tested the lamps. The right one had continuity between the outer casing of the lamp and the center pin. Once the lamp was removed continuity on the socket was gone. Since I didn't have a replacement 89 LED I just used a incandescent lamp. Game fired up and no blown fuse. I don't get it though, wouldn't the lamp just burn out instead of shorting the circuit? Is this only in LED's because I ran the same test on the incandescent lamp and it also showed continuity. I was reluctant to put the lamp in but went for it and turned out ok. How could just playing the game make that flasher short out all of a sudden. Is this true for all LED's? If so this is definitely a concern with all of the LED's in the machine. Is this a drawback to using LED's then? Thanks for all the help and direction! I'm back in business and having fun.

3 months later
#40 8 years ago

What is the deal, experiencing more problems with Metallica...I keep blowing fuses, first F5 7 amp, and F8 3 amp. I was able to replace the 7 amp fuse in F5 and I removed J9 from the board and I am able to put the fuse in F8. Therefore since J9 is removed that tells me there is something going on with the play field wiring. J9 controls high current solenoids, left pop, right pop, bottom pop, snake jaw, left sling, right sling, left flipper, and right flipper. I can visually see all the blue -## going to each coil except the snake jaw? I don't see anything loose and I don't see any diodes? What is going on here? When I check all the pins on the connector of J9, none have continuity to ground but all pins 1-7 have continuity to each other. Any help would be appreciated.

#41 8 years ago

Anyone have a direction where I should troubleshoot next?

#42 8 years ago

Isn't anybody else having issues with blowing fuses?

2 months later
#44 8 years ago

Chaz with Stern went over the issue with me and he concluded that it was a bad power board issue associated with the right lower pop bumper. As a warranty issue, Stern sent me a new power board, new coil and sleeve for the lower right pop bumper. After I replaced all parts I have had zero issues. Thanks Chaz and Stern! good to know they support their customers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,600 (OBO)
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lethal_Inc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brand-new-met-led-pro-not-working-1?tu=Lethal_Inc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.