(Topic ID: 160020)

Best Dremmel kit?

By billsfanmd

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nduewx_(resized).jpg
    2zhnus6_(resized).jpg
    2qs7b5e_(resized).jpg
    30xkens_(resized).jpg
    s689b8_(resized).jpg
    image_20274_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Looking to upgrade my 10 year old dremmel tool....Anyone have on they love. I have amazon prime so lots of good prices and free shipping.

#2 7 years ago

Well, I can't really recommend one, but I can tell you what I have not been happy with - battery operated! It never fails that whenever I need to use it the battery is dead (and I have 2 batteries). Bit me a gazillion times. I switched to a pneumatic grinder to use with my air compressor and haven't looked back. Although, it would be handy occasionally to have a chorded Dremel for indoor use.

#3 7 years ago

As sad as this sounds, the $6.99 one at Harbor Freight is unkillable.

I've got 3 different brands of "dremels" and usually the collet or the bearings kick the bucket pretty quickly.

You don't need to use the wrench to tighten the HF collet, and it STAYS TIGHT.

The brand name ones, even if you use the wrench, they tend to come loose in a few minutes of use.

But, save all your Dremel attachments, because they fit the other brands.

image_20274_(resized).jpgimage_20274_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

As sad as this sounds, the $6.99 one at Harbor Freight is unkillable.
    I've got 3 different brands of "dremels" and usually the collet or the bearings kick the bucket pretty quickly.
    You don't need to use the wrench to tighten the HF collet, and it STAYS TIGHT.
    The brand name ones, even if you use the wrench, they tend to come loose in a few minutes of use.
    But, save all your Dremel attachments, because they fit the other brands.

I find that thing doesn't have power to cut anything at all. Maybe mine is just a dud.
    My dremel brand was junk, bought the XPR 3000 or what ever and the thing died on me in less than a year. Bought the larger HF one and it works ok, though the speed is stuck on super high for some reason.

#5 7 years ago

I been meaning to try the larger HF one, but I always forget to pick one up.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I been meaning to try the larger HF one, but I always forget to pick one up.

It works great however like I said at 2 it runs closer to what 5 would. Up too high and it will cause the ends to bend. Not sure what happened to mine, used to work fine. Maybe I should change the brushes...

#7 7 years ago

I've had my dremel brand one for 13 years, and it has yet to let me down.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

I've had my dremel brand one for 13 years, and it has yet to let me down.

leaning that way

#9 7 years ago

I've had my corded dremel for 10 years and it's the bomb and I've put it through hell. I bought a backup battery driven dremel that is ok, but doesn't have the firepower of the corded model but still love them both.

#10 7 years ago

I bought I Black and Decker rotary tool from a value home store.
    It got lots of use and died (well the bearing noisy but it still worked). it took 10+ years. For 35$ I just went back and bought another. It was still exactly the same. I also remember buying a tooless replacement collet (home depot 10$) which I just changed over to the new unit it never caused me any problems.

I know the HF deal is really good just for the bit assortments. Even if the tool was crap. But nice to hear it is decent.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I bought I Black and Decker rotary tool from a value home store.

Just bought this a few days ago for $30 at Target. Worked for me. I think the 'Chicago Tools' brand is $26 at Harbor Freight.

#12 7 years ago

My good one is a 25 year old Sear Multi-Speed Rotary tool.

My throw in the suitcase / loan to others version is the $6.99 Harbor Freight version.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

My throw in the suitcase / loan to others version is the $6.99 Harbor Freight version.

Yep, I do the same thing.

I keep a bunch of junk tools for people who always seem to want to borrow something and take a month to bring it back.

B: Hey, can I borrow your Skill Saw.
    V: Yep, here you go (handing him a 7" circular saw with the ACE brand on it).
    B: Hmmm, I was hoping to borrow your actual "Skill Saw" (looking over the ACE suspiciously).
    V: Oh, you mean my $250 Magnesium Worm Drive saw? Yeah, that's at work in my van, and does not get lent out.
    B: I really wanted a **great** saw for putting the decking on my deck. I've got something like this at home...
    V: Try the rent-all, they rent Worm Drives for $30 a day.
    B: Wellllllll, I guess I'll just use what I've got.

#14 7 years ago

I like genuine Dremel stuff and use it all the time.

Here's my set-up:

Cordless Dremel Stylus & the D-Vise with the Dremel Toolbox
    s689b8_(resized).jpgs689b8_(resized).jpg

2zhnus6_(resized).jpg2zhnus6_(resized).jpg
    A nice assortment of tools and supplies
    2qs7b5e_(resized).jpg2qs7b5e_(resized).jpg

30xkens_(resized).jpg30xkens_(resized).jpg
    A standard corded Dremel with the cable stylus attachment.
    nduewx_(resized).jpgnduewx_(resized).jpg

I also have the router attachment someone gave me as a Christmas gift that I have never used but it looks cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-dremmel-kit?hl=williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.