Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240308_185159704 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240308_155921237 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240308_164005871 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240308_163522461 (resized).jpg
#1 56 days ago

We have had this game for about a year now and it has been generally reliable. Recently the drop targets started acting up and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to troubleshoot. I'm much more familiar with EMs and I'd appreciate some pointers before I go too far in the wrong direction.

This game has individually resetting drop targets (at least for the ones that are acting up). The six targets that can block the ramp all reset "up" and then individually drop down to reset the playfield to the previous state (or for a new game). This has been working properly until recently.

Now, occasionally, after the reset sequence I'm left with all six targets up. It should only ever be the rear three up for a new game, or the front three up if the rear three have been completed out of order. Or whichever were remaining up at the end of the previous turn.

I'm hoping that I can simply clean and gap the switches on the drop target assemblies to restore the proper behavior but if anyone has any other advice I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping this isn't a deeper issue since the targets are still sometimes working properly and they all seem to be capable of resetting themselves, they just aren't doing it 100% of the time.

Thanks.

#2 56 days ago

This could be mechanical, but there are option settings in the MPU and DIP switch settings for the drop target memory. Meaning what happens ball to ball when X number of targets are down and then the next ball is served. All targets should drop at end of ball and then if configured as such, the lower 3 Vector ramp targets should stay up and the upper 3 (by the ramp entrance) should individually drop. Check the manual for the exact specifics. I don't have it at my finger tips and my pdf is not reachable at the moment.

You can also run a switch test and solenoid test to make sure all switches & solenoids are registering.

Check your settings and see how it is configured too.

#3 56 days ago

I know there are settings for the drop target behavior but those haven't been adjusted so whatever is happening has been caused by something acting up... I'm reading through the manual and yes, the switch and solenoid tests seem useful.

#4 56 days ago
Quoted from sped372:

I'm hoping that I can simply clean and gap the switches on the drop target assemblies to restore the proper behavior but if anyone has any other advice I'd appreciate it. I'm hoping this isn't a deeper issue since the targets are still sometimes working properly and they all seem to be capable of resetting themselves, they just aren't doing it 100% of the time.

The switches have zero to do with this issue - all those memory drops are controlled by the solenoid expander. (The game does NOT check switch state before dropping the targets). Make sure the 555 bulb has not burned out (it's a bulb in a socket that seemingly doesn't light anything near a board in the apron area under the playfield).

It has to be an incandescent bulb not an LED for the circuit to latch properly.

#5 56 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

The switches have zero to do with this issue - all those memory drops are controlled by the solenoid expander. (The game does NOT check switch state before dropping the targets). Make sure the 555 bulb has not burned out (it's a bulb in a socket that seemingly doesn't light anything near a board in the apron area under the playfield).
It has to be an incandescent bulb not an LED for the circuit to latch properly.

Thanks for the lead. Will that bulb be lit during operation or game on? Can I visually check it or just swap in a known good one?

#6 56 days ago

Lift the playfield and look for the small square solenoid expander board with it's load lamp nearby. Put the game in lamp test, the board's relay should be clicking and the lamp flashing like an old fashioned automotive turn-signal.
It's very common for the solder connections to the boards pins to need reflowing or perhaps the lamp has failed or been replaced by an LED which will not work.

1 week later
#7 47 days ago

Wiggling the bulb in that expander board seemed to cause its relay to behave erratically. I cleaned up the legs on the bulb and it seems happier. Time will tell if that actually fixed it.

I also reworked the post near the upper bank of drops near the ramp. The playfield was stripped out so I drilled completely through it and used a #6 machine screw and nut to tighten it up. I also replaced the single rubber band across two posts with two individual rubbers. I see some set up that way in the gallery and it eliminates the slight interference between the right-most drop target and the rubber band. I also noticed that some games have smaller diameter posts in this area which would also probably help. I don't know what the original configuration would have been but I'm going to try this out for awhile. I also don't know whether that rubber band interference had anything to do with the erratic drop target behavior but it seemed like a worthwhile fix either way. I did have to grind the coil stop bracket slightly to clear the machine nut.

PXL_20240308_155921237 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_155921237 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_163522461 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_163522461 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_164005871 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_164005871 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_185159704 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_185159704 (resized).jpg
#8 46 days ago

Several games later this seems to be resolved. Thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-vector-drop-targets-inconsistent-reset?hl=sped372 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.