Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

530-5320-00 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 7 years ago

TheBlackKnight, very informative as usual. I used to use the pinball life ultra shiny, but it looks like they dont sell them anymore. Where do you get your pinballs, I have but 1 machine and its got magnets. I want the best, not necesarrily the brightest

Thanks again

2 weeks later
    #18 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

For people's technical interest here is the actual industry definition of "shiny pinballs" (G16A) in terms of steel ball grade and how they are determined.
    This is not related to the steel composition, which was discussed earlier (ie chromium steel versus carbon steel).
    These are actual numbers you are looking for if you go hunting for specifications for these "shiny pinballs".
    There are even HIGHER industrial grade levels, but there is no justification for use in a pinball machine for tolerances.
    They simply make no sense for added cost.
    Any enthusiast could simply take these tolerance numbers to a ball bearing manufacturer with these specs and get an many chromium "pinballs" (1 1/16", Grade E52100 steel, 80 grams of average weight) and get as needed by lot size by 100-10,000.
    The median weight difference is negligible for tolerance if it stays within +/- 0.5 gram for GAME use.
    I personally would not accept any more than +/- 0.25 grams deviation.
    Ball Grade - G16A
    Variation of Ball Diameter (0.000001 IN.) - 16
    Deviation from Spherical Form (0.000001 IN.) - 16
    Surface Roughness RA MAX. - 1.00
    Deviation from Ball Lot Diameter (0.000001 IN.) - 32
    Happiness is a "shiny" pinball that you can see your face in?
    I hope people are not paying much more than a $1.00/ball because the realities are chromium "shiny" pinballs cost less than $0.45 to make. Per production cost from the factory is at $0.25 in mass volume, if you can get the specs right.

So what balls do you use for any games with magnets? Im not concerned about shiny, but I dont want my one and only playfield, Metallica, to get hammered.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balls-and-magnetism?tu=Roostking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.