(Topic ID: 235669)

AC/DC, which version?

By tdes78

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Newbie here! Looking to add a second machine to what will eventually be a music collection. Looking at AC/DC. Problem is, I don't know which I should be looking for. I don't like the Pro version with Angus' big ugly face so that's probably a no. It may come down to an older premium model with the clear glass for the lower PF. I see the early production had some problems with that. The newer version has removable glass which is great but I'm seeing videos that show out of the box the glass is uneven and has to be adjusted before play. I don't really want to deal with that. Don't really care for the lower PF but like the bell, the moving band members and the look of the premium. The new pro without the big ugly face doesn't look bad but may play a bit boring? I also see some bad reviews on Sterns new model in regards to the lighting and a few other things. Opinions from you educated folk?

#2 5 years ago

I like the vault edition pro because it has updated lighting and the swinging bell.

Welcome to Pinside.

#3 5 years ago

I really like the Luci version. Its on my list of trying to get a few more music themed games.

#4 5 years ago

I have the later AC/DC Pro (with the swinging bell). Yes it has "Angus' big ugly face" but I must say that I never notice it while playing. Actually I kind of like it.

#5 5 years ago

d

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I like the vault edition pro because it has updated lighting and the swinging bell.
    Welcome to Pinside.

Thanks! I noticed some have the bell and others don't on the pro. I can find this new? I've looked at so many, I'm confusing myself.

#7 5 years ago

Acdc pro vault has swinging bell. Ugly backglass, I replaced with aftermarket on ebay. Pretty good game

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sonora70:

I really like the Luci version. Its on my list of trying to get a few more music themed games.

It is a sexy looking beast. My issue is the foggy glass on the old version and the uneven glass on the new. decisions, decisions...

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from tdes78:

It is a sexy looking beast. My issue is the foggy glass on the old version and the uneven glass on the new. decisions, decisions...

The uneven glass can be fixed by carefully adjusting the screws. Took about and hour but I got mine to perfection.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from tdes78:

The Luci doesn't have the foggy glass issue like the earlier premiums did from what I've seen. There are plenty of those that are come up for sale that are clear. I just bought one a few months ago.

Also, Luci is my preferred version.

#11 5 years ago

That Luci chick crawling all over the cabinet is puke fest. But I like men, so.........but the back glass is ugly on the Premium. Ugh. Wish they had a cartoony one like Metallica Monsters

#12 5 years ago

Vault luci all day

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from tdes78:

Thanks! I noticed some have the bell and others don't on the pro. I can find this new? I've looked at so many, I'm confusing myself.

I think the later run Pros from a few years ago that included LED’s had a swinging bell. All vaults have the swinging bell.

I like the Pro but I would run with a HUO Prem. Older Prem models are a great deal at around $6000 or a tiny bit more with some cool mods. Vault HUO Prems are nice also. Premiums have red Armor, LED real train, Dancing band, 7 drop targets instead of stand ups, working TNT plunger, Lower Playfield, cross bar diverter from left ramp for cannon.....uhhh, over the Pro. They made a ton of AC/DC’s also, so they pop up.

I love Stern Pros though. Other fantastic music games that are fine to go Pro on are MET and IMDN. AS and Kiss are good also but a fair bit behind MET, IMDN and ACDC IMHO.

What other music pin do you have already??

#14 5 years ago

I don’t like Luci at all. I think she is really tacky, but to each his own. She used to be rare and different, but now she is a phone call away. To each his own though.

That being said Hairy Angus chest Translite isn’t that great either.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think the later run Pros from a few years ago that included LED’s had a swinging bell. All vaults have the swinging bell.
    I like the Pro but I would run with a HUO Prem. Older Prem models are a great deal at around $6000 or a tiny bit more with some cool mods. Vault HUO Prems are nice also. Premiums have red Armor, LED real train, Dancing band, 7 drop targets instead of stand ups, working TNT plunger, Lower Playfield, cross bar diverter from left ramp for cannon.....uhhh, over the Pro. They made a ton of AC/DC’s also, so they pop up.
    I love Stern Pros though. Other fantastic music games that are fine to go Pro on are MET and IMDN. AS and Kiss are good also but a fair bit behind MET, IMDN and ACDC IMHO.
    What other music pin do you have already??

I have a GNR. Been wanting one for years but didn't have the room. ACDC next followed by Metallica. Then a coin toss between Aerosmith or Kiss

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

That Luci chick crawling all over the cabinet is puke fest. But I like men, so.........but the back glass is ugly on the Premium. Ugh. Wish they had a cartoony one like Metallica Monsters

I agree, she is a bit much.

#17 5 years ago

I wanted to throw AC/DC Luci Vault out the window the first day I had it, and now it’s my favorite pin. It’s amazing fun.

#18 5 years ago

GNR?! Nice! Don’t see many around.

IMDN is probably one of the best music pins out there. If you don’t like the band I can see that. But the game play is off the charts.

I oddly only knew one IMDN song, due to no FM radio play, before I bought IMDN. Really dig the music now

#19 5 years ago

I love Iron Maiden, but I didn't like the pin.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

GNR?! Nice! Don’t see many around.
    IMDN is probably one of the best music pins out there. If you don’t like the band I can see that. But the game play is off the charts.
    I oddly only knew one IMDN song, due to no FM radio play, before I bought IMDN. Really dig the music now

Not that I don't like IMDN, just not top on the list. I jumped on the first good GNR I found and glad I did. Thanks for your input.

#21 5 years ago

I’ve had the premium vault for about 500 plays now. It’s fantastic. Just as good as the original.

If you can turn a screwdriver you can adjust the lower playfield window.

Drop targets, tnt detonator (such an awesome mode), added lighting just put the premium over the top for me.

You probably have a premium somewhere near you to go play. Go check it out. Good luck finding a pro to play. I don’t think there are many out there.

I agree with others about Luci. Don’t like that art. I went with the standard art package.

#22 5 years ago

I have the Luci vault & I ❤️ her

#23 5 years ago

I have the Vault Premium and love it. The lower playfield is not my fav toy, but hell is not supposed to be that enjoyable. If you go with the Pro, you will make up the $$ in upgrades eventually. The Pin Stadium lights are worth the investment even though the lighting is already good. Great game regardless of the version you get! We have whittled our collection down to three games, AFM, TAF, and the AC DC machine. Perfect.

#24 5 years ago

Pro Vault is a value with the upgrades and the translite can be replaced with a luci translite if you want to change it up

Luci and standard premium vaults are great, I do prefer the premium but since the added upgrades on the pro it’s not such a big difference to me. Lower Playfield is cool but not so cool I couldn’t live without it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ac-dc-which-version?hl=tdes78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.