Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solenoid 2 (resized).jpg
Solenoid 1 (resized).jpg
20170225_133652 (resized).jpg
20170225_130741 (resized).jpg
20170225_110617 (resized).jpg
20170225_110331 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoitusMysterioso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Good afternoon everyone.

So I've slowly been reading an learning as much as I can about my recent pin purchase. The one constant problem I have with this machine is the 10 point score reel sticks on causing a loud buzzing and the coil gets hot.

This morning I decided to take apart the score reel and give it a good cleaning as it was all gunked up. At the same time I decided to take the 1000 point reel apart so I could compare the two. I took both apart and gave them a good cleaning, cleaned and lightly filed the contacts. Put them back together and the same problem persists.

Any time the 10 point score reel as activated the plunger goes down but doesn't release. The coil buzzes and gets hot. Since this is a 2 player game I switched to 2nd player and tried that side and it also has the same symptoms. The player 2 10 point reel sticks on and buzzes.

This led me to look at the 10-90 relay and sure enough any time 10 points are scored the 10-90 relay activates and sticks on and it doesn't matter if its on player 1 or 2 the same problem happens.

To rule out the switches on the Play Field I disconnected the PF connectors and then manually activated the 1 point relay in the backbox until the 10-90 relay was activated. The relay still stuck on as it did before.

I also found that the coils on each of the score reels don't match even though the wiring schematic says they should all be coil (N-23-625)

Any ideas?

20170225_110331 (resized).jpg20170225_110331 (resized).jpg

20170225_110617 (resized).jpg20170225_110617 (resized).jpg

20170225_130741 (resized).jpg20170225_130741 (resized).jpg

20170225_133652 (resized).jpg20170225_133652 (resized).jpg

Solenoid 1 (resized).jpgSolenoid 1 (resized).jpg

Solenoid 2 (resized).jpgSolenoid 2 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I've got the problem licked!

I tried switching all the known good coil components from the P2 1000 point assembly (Coil, plunger & coil stop) into P1 10 point assembly and after about 200 test actuation's not one jam on P1 10 Point coil.

P2 10 point coil still sticks regularly so I think they were both just completely worn out. If you look at the points structure of this game 90% of the switches score 10 or more points so that reel was definitely the most used. If you look at the pictures of the plungers I posted earlier you can see that the whole at the end of the 10 point plunger was an oval and it’s supposed to be perfectly round. This was allowing side to side movement and caused the plunger to jam in the sleeve.

I will be ordering replacement coils shortly but would also like to order new plungers and coil stops to go with them No sense using worn out parts with new coils. Can anyone tell me how I determine which coil stops and plungers I should order?
The coil is easy enough because the schematic gives me the part number (N-23-625) but there are so many coil stops/plungers and none of the sites seem to give any cross referencing information for these parts.

#6 7 years ago

Yup PBR to the rescue. Of all the pinball places i contacted they were the only ones that had the parts.

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Sweet! What condition is yours in? Send me so.e pics as inspiration!

Mine still has a lot of cleaning and adjusting needed to make it perfect but it's actually a functioning game now.

In FL this week on vacation. When I get back I will start on restoring my PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shelburne, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CoitusMysterioso.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/63-cc-fire-cracker-10-point-score-reel-problem?tu=CoitusMysterioso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.