Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by StevenP
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveFury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

This is a video of the reset sequence of a 1971-1977 Gottlieb 4 player game. I don't have a 2 player game of the period so I'm not sure if the principal would apply in that case. Maybe someone can comment whether it's the same or not.

Many, especially new people to the hobby are naturally confused about how the score reel reset works and how the various parts work together. This is my attempt to demonstrate as plainly as possible.
    Note that I mention a lot of circuits found in an actual game have been eliminated such as coin accumulation and bonus units etc. Something else noteworthy is score reel bank reset pulses are provided by 2 separate score motor switches. My model has just one. It would have become too complex and distracting with the other circuits for the purpose. You can find the circuits in the video within your specific schematic intermixed with other game-specific circuits.

This is the first video I've made of this type, and if I were to do it again I'd change a few things. Mainly re-arrange a few things and I notice some spelling errors after the upload. It's a bit longer than I had planned but I wanted to present the same sequence in different ways.

I'm hoping this will help someone and entertain everyone else. Maybe this will help someone understand "Why does my score motor keep rotating" and other Score Reel reset problems.

11 months later
    #22 10 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

How do you even begin to make an animation video like that? Simply amazing and very informative! Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment. You all are too kind. The reason I spend the time/effort is to help keep these old games alive. I think most younger "modern" technical minded people are more likely to be overwhelmed by relay logic than "more seasoned" techs who grew up in it. I know a couple recent technical college grads who see the bundles of wires, rows of relays etc and are intimidated and overwhelmed.

There's nothing a few extra lines of computer code won't fix... right?

These games are so colorful and represent so much fun, nostalgia etc and I think it's very unfortunate the pool of people who can work on them are necessarily shrinking. I believe another 50 years will pass and it will be hard as it is today to find someone to fix a 1923 regenerative tube type radio.
    I figure the least I could do is to leave as much information as possible for the poor fella trying to fix that 90 year old Gottlieb Centigrade game. So to do my part, I make a couple animations and explain schematics best I can along with all the other wonderful people here at Pinside and other places.

I've been doing animation on a hobby level for about 12 years so this project was fun for me to do. I use programs similar to Blender. The most difficult task in the project is to make a complex electrical system easy to understand. In that, I personally think my Gottlieb animation is too convoluted.
    I think my Williams reset sequence came out more understanding and it uses real schematic examples.

But thanks, it's nice to know people are finding it useful.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SteveFury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-1977-gottlieb-score-reel-reset-animation?tu=SteveFury and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.