jd_underplayfield.jpg
jd_DOM.jpg
jd_pick_a_prize.jpg
jd_sniper.jpg
jd_crain_switch.JPG
sniper_jd.jpg
Sniper.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone...I just picked up a pretty nice JD and while doing a really close inspection I noticed on the Subway scoop, the decal said Pick-a-Prize...I had never seen that before and thought it might have been a replacement from another game that could had been installed.

I did a quick search and found in a rule sheet where it specifically says that in the prototype machines that the subway entrance had Pick a Prize on it...so then I went to look at the production date, and it says Aug 17, 1993. Serial number is 2272008462. Checked the serial number database but couldn't sort by production date....

Then checked the intro video on youtube and it looks like its a subway sticker on the scoop. Anyone have any other suggestions to verify whether or not its a prototype?

#2 10 years ago

What colors are your boards underneath? If red, probably prototype. If not, may be early production run... or may have had the scoop swapped on it. JDs were parted out ALL THE TIME, so it wouldn't be uncommon to have had someone replace the scoop with an older one.

Also, check the plastic next to the Sniper tower. I forget what the early run looks like, but I know it is different. And so was the placement of the switch for the left ramp I believe...

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

says that in the prototype machines that the subway entrance had Pick a Prize on it.

It seems there was another thread recently that somebody mentioned they had a pick-a-prize sticker on it. I believe it was dismissed as coming from something else. Now either you ended up with that same machine, or indeed you have a rare early model. I've had two that were both made in Dec. of 93, but my only prize is owning one.

#4 10 years ago

The one I owned also had the pick-a-prize sticker on it but it wasn't a prototype. Most likely a sample. These also had a switch on the crane (ball on magnet) which was later removed (IIRC). There were probably other differences, but it's been a long time.

Tony

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys…I will check tonight the color of the boards underneath..and the sniper plastic. I will shoot a couple of pictures as well.

Late last night I found another site with a list of owners. One guys has a machine that had a DOM of August 13th, 1993…mine is August 17th, 1993….and he lists his as a prototype….he has an e-mail address so I am going to send him a note today to see if he knows any other specifics….
This game must have been stored for some time. There is very little wear on the ramps/playfield and the cabinet has absolutely no fade. I am really looking forward to bringing this one back to 100%. Not a lot of issues, just needs a few tweeks, a good cleaning, and a Dead world mod.

If anyone has any other info, it would be really appreciated….

#6 10 years ago

The sniper plastic would have a real sniper on it rather than just a crosshairs. That doesn't necessarily make it a prototype though, it could just be a very early machine like the one I had.

#7 10 years ago

To visualize this plastic guessing game

Right Standard, Left "The Sniper"

Sniper.JPGSniper.JPG

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Left "The Sniper"

Where can I get one of those?

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Where can I get one of those?

Buy a prototype machine, of course!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Buy a prototype machine, of course!

Here we go again! How much would one cost?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here we go again! How much would one cost?

How much do you have?

#12 10 years ago

$1400?

#14 10 years ago

Thanks for that Thor....I just had the wife take a quick picture from the house...and here is the sniper So now I have the sniper and pick a prize...

sniper_jd.jpgsniper_jd.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Does the machine come with it ? .... hear it's a 1400$ game (ducking for shelter )

Think i hold on to that plastic till Christmas. Rumor says it's gonna be 10K by then

#16 10 years ago

PM sent!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Thanks for that Thor....I just had the wife take a quick picture from the house...and here is the sniper So now I have the sniper and pick a prize...

Great !! So you havea pretty early one then

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

To visualize this plastic guessing game
Right standard, Left "The Sniper"

Someone may replicate the proto plastic

#19 10 years ago

OP...do you have the Deadworld mod? If it is not already installed and you plan to add it, make sure you tell Pinbits that you have an early/sample/proto machine. You will need to use ROM version L1. The special ROM L1AT (if I remember the designation right off the top of my head) will likely not work. I found that out the hard way and it took quite awhile to figure it out. There was a switch numbering change early on that hoses things up. If you use L1, you should be fine and you will not get the credit dot (which is what the special ROM was made to prevent).

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Jackpot! I really like that sniper plastic.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Someone may replicate the proto plastic

Since you mention this..... yes i put up a nice resolution one for the DIY ones amongst us

#22 10 years ago

Hey Jedi...No dead world mod (yet). Dead world works fine and the only error I am getting is the common switch error that seems like everyone gets. I am going to go through this game with a fine tooth comb tonight. Was going to have the wife pull up the playfield and take a picture of the lamp boards but then again...that might not be the best idea, so I will do that tonight as well.

I know I am running the L7 Rom now with an L3 sound rom...I am going to take a ton of pictures etc...I also want to check the location of that crain switch.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Was going to have the wife pull up the playfield and take a picture of the lamp boards but then again...that might not be the best idea

Wise you are, hmmmmm

#24 10 years ago

Got a chance to check out the game...no red lamp boards, but have attached a few pics showing DOM, sniper plastic, and Pick A Prize scoop. Also noticed that the serial number on the boards match the cabinet. I have added a picture of the only crain switch I could find. Not sure if this is what GLModular is refrencing but I am still going to dig into this to find out as much as I can about the game. Thanks guys for all the info and pointers...

jd_crain_switch.JPGjd_crain_switch.JPG jd_sniper.jpgjd_sniper.jpg jd_pick_a_prize.jpgjd_pick_a_prize.jpg

#25 10 years ago

a few more

jd_DOM.jpgjd_DOM.jpg jd_underplayfield.jpgjd_underplayfield.jpg

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I have added a picture of the only crain switch I could find. Not sure if this is what GLModular is refrencing but I am still going to dig into this to find out as much as I can about the game.

No, that is the crane exit switch (opto pair). The "ball on magnet" switch is actually in the crane assembly itself. Enter into switch test and feel under the crane (where the ball is held/picked up) you should feel a small protruding button. Pressing the button should activate the switch if it is installed. You may need to remove the crane cover to be 100% sure.

BTW, I do not believe that my game had the sniper plastic as this is the first time I have seen that plastic. So that's pretty cool!

Tony

#27 10 years ago

Hey Tony...thanks for the heads up...just took this pic, looks like its the switch you are referencing.

thanks again

jd_crain_switch2.jpgjd_crain_switch2.jpg

#28 10 years ago

Super Jackpot!

#29 10 years ago

If memory serves, the skinny plastic separating the left outlane from the left shooter lane should be green instead of the normal blue. Also I think the apron is a slightly different gold...more metallic maybe? I am also guessing your left ramp has the opto switch pretty close to the entrance rather than much further towards the top like the normal one (this is the switch that changed number in the matrix and causes the ROM issues). Trying to remember if there are other differences, but that's all I got off the top of my head...

This thread has me missing my Dredd...

#30 10 years ago

You definitely have an early machine. It doesn't look like it is one of the true "prototypes" though. Cool, nonetheless.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Since you mention this..... yes i put up a nice resolution one for the DIY ones amongst us

Shame that my dad is selling his jd on ebay but hey we maybe getting our selves a i500

#32 10 years ago

Man, thanks guys for all the help with this....just took a few more shots in reference to Jedi's post..
Green left shooter plastic, apron, opto switch...

Not trying to make it more than it is, but right now it looks like the only thing I don't have are the red lamp boards.

jd_green_left_shooter.jpgjd_green_left_shooter.jpg jd_apron.jpgjd_apron.jpg jd_ramp_opto.jpgjd_ramp_opto.jpg

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Man, thanks guys for all the help with this....just took a few more shots in reference to Jedi's post..
Not trying to make it more than it is, but right now it looks like the only thing I don't have are the red lamp boards.

Super cool. I'll give you $1450 for it!

#34 10 years ago

Tamoore....no way...I will not participate in the over-inflated prices of a Dredd. You know its only worth $1400 tops!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

"Not trying to make it more than it is".... as you see in the responses, you got a nice conversation-piece.
Think there are quite a few owners who want to trade their 1400$ machine for yours

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collingswood, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/did-i-just-get-a-jd-prototype?ti=1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.