12 new ratings were added to the Pinside, in the past 24 hours!

9.712/10
This machine is a classic. Looks great and plays fast. However to really experience the best with this machine you must have the pinsound board installed. All original sounds from the movie with the Prince and Tim Burton soundtrack. Absolutely elevates this game to the next level and makes it a keeper. My kids love this one and after playing the other three Batman tables, I have to say this one is the funnest!
7.749/10
Absolutely gorgeous playfield. The artwork really draws you in along with the vintage sounds. So much fun. My wife really loves this one.
9.818/10
Getting multi-ball is an incredible feeling with the amazing three rocket stage sound effect. Unforgettable.
9.640/10
A timeless classic. Never gets old. Plays fast. Amazing design.
8.992/10
The best game ever... it keeps kicking my ass and I keep coming back... deep ru leset which is challenging and keeps u thinking. I changed the voice over from hillbilly and made a huge difference.. This is one game that's never leaving...
9.720/10
Great Game by Steve Ritchie Love the Enterprise Action
10.000/10
Great Pinball,A Steve Ritchie masterpiece,Played it at the Zanzabar in Louisville.I want one
8.179/10
I will start out with the disclaimer that Fish Tales is a sentimental favorite for me because it was the machine I won my first (and thus far only) major title on in a finals, back in the whacky 90's when this was brand new. (I completely owned the Fish Finder that game).

It may tie with "Creature from the Black Lagoon" for the title of "best machine with a completely over the top busy playfield" award, which I just made up. It makes the pace of the game a bit more frenetic -- in addition to all the cool crossing over (perhaps a Ritchie family trait?) the ball makes, because the player has so little time visually to track balls coming down from the upper playfield, it's almost like playing in "Tommy" (blind) mode sometimes. It's an acquired taste, and I'm glad not every game is like this, but it can make for some excellent challenges. Multiball locking may be a touch too easy here, but the scoring is pretty balanced and you can either work one part of the machine or another for points or try to work on progressive goals, so there's some very good lastability here.

As far as the flopping fish? It's awesome. I'd never turn mine off, even in attract mode, if I had one, at the risk of literally wearing it out. My only regret is the fish doesn't say stuff to you, like Billy Bass, its obvious inspiration. And as far as the theme -- it's not exactly classic pinball theming, but it's pretty funny, and one of the things I liked about the non-licensed themes of the 80s and 90s Williams machines was their creativity and charm. The machine was its own theme!
8.444/10
I'm going ahead and reviewing "Lunar Shot" separately from Blast Off and Apollo, cognizant that they're all basically the same game. Lunar Shot has a couple of things that would rank it below Blast Off and Apollo, though. The main thing is the art. The cabinet art on Blast Off and Apollo is outstanding rocket-themed outlines; the cabinet art for the Lunar Shot, for reasons utterly unclear, is a sort of generic pattern with no space theme at all. Secondly, the cabinet backglass has a different, almost purpleish color scheme. I thought at first this might be differential fade of the one I have in my collection, but every example I've seen of Lunar Shot has a sort of purplish ocean while Blast Off and Apollo have a blue ocean.

On the plus side, as an Italian export machine it has stars for the "special" counter, which I think are a bit snazzier than the Blast Off version's number count. Minor uptick there.

Now, the basic machine: basically one of the most outstanding EMs of the 1960's. The fantastic theme is well-incorporated into the playfield and rules in a variety of ways. First is the "Countdown" to zero for the rocket, which then causes the mini-ball in the back box to "blast off" when you drain, giving you a one in five shot at a special. (The ball in play counter also counts down, 5-4-3-2-1.) The machine is symmetrical, and the whole layout looks like the outline of a rocket as a result. Then there are the two orbit shots -- literal orbit shots! With the rollover at the top causing the left and right orbit lights to alternate, with the lit orbit being 300 points. This gives real incentive to make both orbit shots. Then there are "stages", stand up targets that score points progressively higher each time you hit them that also advance the "countdown". The playfield plastics are also subtly cool: they show the stages of a 60's era rocket launch, from top to bottom, corresponding to the altitude at which they take place (top graphics are orbital, then shows descent, and finally recovery at ocean level) -- with the "re entry" gate to the right returning the ball to the plunger lane if you open it (get it? re-entry!). If you combine the points goal with the quest to get up to five specials (and you can substitute your own version of what the gambling payoff was, back in the day), there's three or four distinct goals to shoot for in this game (Countdown, orbit shots, incremental standups, and specials count). Throw in the cute back box toy, it's a winner. Playable, clever, and a great artifact of "Go fever!"
5.942/10
Meh. Add this to the pile of "themes I wish they would remake before they did another Pirates of the Caribbean, Kiss, or Batman remake". In full disclaimer mode, I was an ardent fan of the original show for its first four seasons, roughly the time period before this pinball was made, and have been yawning as and then ignoring it ever since. But that said, it seems to me there are so many more avenues of South Park theming they could have pursued in building a rules set, including maybe going full Basic Cable level of language, etc. (notwithstanding that there is a giant piece of poop in the artwork - lovely Mr Hankey.)

But the killer here is the flow and rules just aren't that great. Find a working one, I'd play it, but not for long if there's something else around. That's almost the definition of a C-grade machine.

This machine was, I think, the last one put out by the original Sega of Chicago (maybe Harley Davidson was the last), and they had some truly excellent licensed themes that produced utterly no memorable pinball machines, save for the deliciously over the top Apollo 13 and to some extent, Jurassic Park (although I'm slightly partial to Godzilla, I can't say it was entirely a success). There's a lesson to divine in there someplace; after all, Williams/Bally put out some of the greatest titles of all time at the same time Sega was in business, and yet they both went belly up in the same year.
9.303/10
Great game don't think I will ever sell it.
9.119/10
All around great game! Can't seem to get tired of it.
8.296/10
Fun game. I like the call outs
8.985/10
I think the game is good. I'm not a big stern fan but this one is a lot better than the Ghostbusters. IMO. The game has a couple hard shots and I think once they get it dialed in it will be a great game.
6.058/10
unique design for sure. Has the typical gottlieb clunkiness of the era.One of the worst video modes I have ever seen, but I guess it was 1992. There isnt much flow or depth to this game. The back part of the play field is almost completely blocked off and unused. I would never want to own this and only sunk money into it as it was the only pin in the joint.
8.716/10
Ask yourself: if you had to pick only one game to play for the rest of your life, between The Addams Family and The Twilight Zone, which would you choose?

My answer's TZ. I will say that objectively, they're almost the same machine when it comes to the shots on the playfield; TZ has a weaker upper flipper shot and a less interesting skill shot, but adds in the upper playfield. But there are two main differences that I believe sets TZ well apart and ahead of TaF.

First is the graduated overlapping scoring; while there's progress towards a Wizard mode in both games, there are so many more detours in TZ, including more than one mode going at once, that it makes for an N-squared number of possible approaches to the game. We all know there are certain shots in TZ (as well as TaF) that are very dangerous to make, and yet the multiplicity of scoring modes offer them as a temptation so it's not really possible to lie in the weeds (which in my experience is possible in TaF with its easier ramp shots).

Second is theme integration. As appealing and amusing as TaF is in its great encaspulation of the movie's version of the Addams Family quirks, and with the actual celebrity voices on it, The Twilight Zone takes it one step further by having a mixture of call outs to the actual television show (which was longer-running, more complex, and weirder than The Addams Family) and some things that *seem* like they should be in the show, but were actually invented for the game in the style/as inspired by, the show. You very rarely see liberties being taken with a theme that way, and despite my occasional disappointment they didn't get more of the original Twilight Zone's classic episodes incorporated, it makes the pinball machine more of an extension of the theme inspiration than a mere hommage to it.

As with TaF, the only time I get bored with TZ is if the machine isn't tuned or if something's broken. Unlike TaF, the machine still surprises me from time to time. And that is, in the end, why it rates a bit higher.
8.072/10
I have resisted rating TaF for a while in part because it may be the most played machine of all time, in part because of my inherent biases (note my user name!), and in part because there may be nothing original to say about it.

I could be contrarian by listing the things I don't like about it:

- the playfield's not balanced, the way a lot of Lawlor machines aren't balanced. Bumpers at the bottom, unusually cruel outlanes, so many unique shots that the playfield feels like a series of little games not one big one, sometimes.

- the complexity of the design invariably means that when you run into a machine that's not tuned, the game can play terribly.

- Lawlor's reputation for innovation is deserved, but also his repetition for having such a signature feel that sometimes it feels like every Lawlor is just a new edition of the same single machine. TAF is now relatively early in his design stretch, but even a machine as fantastic as Dialed In!, I can close my eyes and feel the same shots I take on Earthshaker.

Not to say that this machine's reputation is ill-deserved; when you find a machine in excellent working condition, it remains a pleasure to play. Whether this or Twilight Zone is the ultimate epitome of Lawlorness will be the perennial question (I myself am increasingly partial to Ripley's, which only lacks the actual animated head and a better scoring right flipper shot to make it the ultimate synthesis of Lawlorhood).
6.968/10
May I quietly and somewhat weakly dissent about Pinbot and its descendants?

There are four main gimmicks in this game. One is the obvious - the double-ball-capturing opening, along with the flashing field of lights and two ways of activating the box. There's the vortex skill shot, and the bagatelle-style upper playfield on the right. Almost none of these really engage unique skills. The robot part is fun, of course, and there's the progressive planetary goals (which seem like they're from a different theme than the robot theme), but all of this feels like it's from a machine from a decade earlier. Just because the ship allows the robot sounds and a little more complex scoring logic doesn't make it feel like the acme of the era (High Speed came out the same year).

The kicker for me is that when I play this, I always post pass to the right flipper. A machine where this is a winning strategy for play is inherently unbalanced. It's not that I don't enjoy all the toys, it's just they feel like they were smooshed together in the wrong order somehow.

Yes, an amusing machine that's worth revisiting; but not the classic that merited two sequels, IMHO. There, I said it - Pinbot is overrated.
7.556/10
Was 1995 the best year for pinball ever? Quite possibly, and in turn that may be the major reason Mnemonic isn't better remembered -- any year with Theater of Magic, Attack from Mars, No Fear, and Congo (not even to mention oddballs like Apollo 13, Who Dunnit, or Waterworld) is going to have some also-rans that may be hidden jewels.

The movie had a plot that was so non-sensical at the time it ended up being inadvertently campy good fun. Having Keanu Reevers on your backglass is the perfect starting point for the level of seriousness. The passage of time only accentuates this (your average USB stick now has as much memory as Mnemonic's brain!). THE PROBLEM IS UP HERE! (Points to brain.)

But, Mnemonic the machine managed to recapitulate the plot of the movie and some of the cool tech gimmicky things quite well, incorporating a good flow, progressive goals, and the toy (the vaunted glove, which is basically a tic tac toe machine!) that actually is a completely non-pinball skill but is still fun (compare to: the helicopter in Rescue 911, or maybe the crane in Last Action Hero).

As such, it has aged incredibly well. I enjoyed this a ton when it was on location and among the pantheon of mid-90's Williams/Bally DMD games, it deserves quite a bit more respect. It's not the complex beauty of an Addams Family or Twilight Zone, or the perfection of a Theater of Magic or Attack from Mars or the chaos of Shadow, but it was a pretty good design and the machine still plays well.

This one also has a special place in my heart as being the only William Gibson-themed machine; I am still waiting for a Sprawl Trilogy pinball machine (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive).

One personal PS: I played on this machine in a singles league at the time it was on location. First place in the league was a nice cash prize and a trophy; second place was smaller trophy and a little less cash; third place was a Mnemonic translite. I finished in...third place. I still have my translite, which is now worth more than the value of both trophies plus the cash plus inflation. WINNING
7.213/10
Ah, yes, the most unique pinball machine between Black Hole and Safecracker. From a collector's standpoint, if you were making a museum of pinball, this would be on the must-have list. The vertical pinball takes the mechanical back box animation to its ultimate logical finale, a call out to both pachinko and bagatelle, and is tons of fun. The major flaw of the whole design is the rules and scoring and playfield challenges aren't balanced. Jackpots are incredibly hard, relative to payoff, and the lower playfield (ahem, main playfield) is simple. While I always dig the originality of Lawlor's theming, and the dirt bike maze is well thought-out, I still think that somehow if there had been a different thematic hook to this machine other than another racing game it would have had more staying power. It's a player's machine in that it's not particularly easy to master, but not in the sense that it rewards a balance of skills, and it takes a lot of plays consecutively to get into the game successfully.

I think the analog to this machine isn't, say, No Fear or even Safecracker or Haunted House, but Hercules -- a novelty machine so wonderously weird you really have to put it on your checklist of machines to play, but not one you're likely to pine for when you haven't played it a while. A bucket list machine, not an obsession.

That said, when I start my Pat Lawlor Museum, this will be on the list, for sure.
8.852/10
Fast, fast, fast. And difficult. The theme is a home run, no question. And the sounds and video clips are great. The option to choose a character, which then affects the missions you can choose, is groundbreaking, IMHO. With every ball this game lets you choose what goal you want to tackle next. This “modern” design, along with the terrific video screen and the mini video monitor on the playfield are utilized nicely. It feels like a SW movie. The downside, mainly somewhat overwhelming rules and ultra short games. R2D2 seemed to appear often when I lost my ball, and I quickly got used to seeing him. I couldn’t really enjoy the video clips or even see what the screen was instructing me to do because I lost my ball too fast. Admittedly, I am pretty new to this one. The design is just ok. I wasn’t pulled into the game right away and I felt some shots were very hard. The bank of targets under the mini LCD screen seems too close and it can send your ball right back at you. One of the loops also sends the ball almost SDTM. More diversity in the playfield design would have been nice.

More play is needed on this one, but I enjoyed BM66 more right away than SW, but I suspect SW is a better game to own in the home, due to difficulty and complexity. I felt GB was too hard and crowded at first, but now I love it. I’ll update this after spending a few more hours on it. Tie fighter battle is fun tho, and the hyperloop is pretty cool. It definitely has cool features, but it’s a very fast, punishing game. It all depends on your style!
8.840/10
I’ve only just started playing BM66, but I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth gameplay. I feel the colors and art are great, and the campy videos, callouts and theme are perfect for this title. It’s easier than the new Star Wars, and more straight-forward. It’s almost simple, except for the cool crane, borrowed from BM Dark Knight, and the spinning wheel supercomputer. The spinning wheel toy is silly, but I’ll admit it works on this game. I didn’t experience the odd angles or difficult shots others have described. I also didn’t get my ball trapped anywhere. I feel the shots on GB are much more difficult.

I need to spend a few more hours on this one, but my initial impression is good. It’s a silly, campy, family-friendly game that isn’t especially innovative, except the spinning wheel target is a nice touch. It’s a beautiful looking game, and the one I played had the latest code update, and I must say I am impressed, if not blown away, by this fun Stern title. It’s definitely worth an hour in an arcade from time to time, and it may be a decent pin at home, especially for a family. (I need to learn the rules and depth of code). The new video screens are fantastic too. Both on BM66 and SW, the size is perfect and the image quality is outstanding. There is more quality here than I expected, but I wouldn’t say this one will become a classic. I feel it belongs in the top 50 however.

I will update this review soon after spending another few hours on it, or if I decide to add one to my collection. The bat-phone ringing to start you off is immersive! The quality of the final code will really determine how this one is respected. It’s got the looks and features to be a keeper. *update. Played another few rounds on this one and I do see where people feel the game is a bit cheap feeling. It feels like the cost of the amazing digital tv screen may have required less money for a solid-built game. The new Star Wars, which I played right next to it, feels similarly cheap. Don’t get me wrong, they both have ALOT going for them, but Batman is a very plain, fan layout with cheap metal ramps and flimsy materials. The new Walking Dead, also by Stern, lacks the new tv screens, and feels much sturdier and higher quality. IMHO.
8.672/10
Really enjoy this game more than I thought I would. Really like the clips they use. Game us fun and entertaining.
9.296/10
this game doesn't has deep rules but atmospheris specialso you want to play again and again
this game is too easy if you take jewels with your wishes
very beautiful pinball
9.600/10
Great great game.
I regret selling my first Pro and bought an other one. Metallica have a great layout, fast and flowy, great rules, great sounds, great animations. It's a winner on all points.
A better cab speaker is a must have, because i find the stock sound too high/sharp, that's the only negative (and as well very annoying Lars callouts)
Definitely a keeper next to my TWD and IM.
Borg + Lyman best combo ever ;)
There are 31544 ratings (that include a comment). Currently showing results page 5 of 1262.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside