25 new ratings were added to the Pinside, in the past 24 hours!

7.915/10
Feature packed game with plenty of modes to play through. Most competitive players will multiball all day which ruins the machine a little.
6.935/10
When all the ballsncome out of the Ark, it's super cool. So cool they stole it and reused it in Aerosmith. Haha! This would be a cool game if the rules were better.
7.713/10
Always a hit at my place. The last remaining DE game I own, I've had it for 15 years now ...
8.573/10
This game is absolutely brutal and unforgiving. It boasts gigantic slingshots that seem to put a mile between the flipper and the nearest starred standup target or spinner, and the ball will either ricochet between those two for a short eternity or come screaming straight down the middle, center post be darned. This may not sound like a promising description for a pinball machine; at first, I couldn't stand it. But, if you like a little challenge with your pinball, this game is perfect - the spinners are satisfying to hit, and are most so when you have managed to light the starred inserts on the right spinner through the standup targets. The drop targets are less rewarding and only slightly less risky, but they do provide an alternate method to getting points. The playfield seems simple with the two banks of drop targets, two spinners, pop bumper, and scattered standups, but the apparent sparseness belies an engaging, engrossing machine - it's so addictive to play, inspires such an obsession to execute a good score, that it doesn't need many whistles or bells. A great game.
7.377/10
I love the theme on this one unlike many other people and the layout is great. Classic pat lawlor design with an upper flipper and nice flow. There's even a mini flipper on the left that is just like the thing flipper from Addams Family! Unfortunately, the rules are pretty lackluster. Half the modes aren't worth playing because the shots are risky or don't score much and 2 of the modes are the same with different scoring. The other 3 modes are decent scoring, but are still pretty basic and boring, with the exception of power ride. Power ride is a 2 ball multiball mode where you have to shoot for 2 of the 3 ramps over and over for increasing values. Once all the modes have been played you can be a park tycoon, which is the wizard mode and it's a fun 4 ball multiball to collect jackpots. The scoring is also off on this it seems cause the end of ball bonus is super tiny at around 100k when a single jackpot scores 250k. Fun game to shoot on but it's not the deepest game.
6.669/10
The game, among small manufacturers, uniquely plays well and has a very decent overall playfield design. I wasn't able to get deep enough into modes to evaluate its depth and lastability, but despite a few odd ball-eating features, it left me wanting to play more. It's fast, it's got a sort of understandable racing theme (although I couldn't quite figure out how it related to real cycle racing), and unlike very other bleeping $U#@)))$#@ small manufacturer, they seem to know what QA is on their software builds. At least I had no discernible glitches. I don't think this will ever become my favorite pin - theming in part is a bit too familiar with every other motorized sports game that's been produced - but I'd be more than willing to try to crack it if there was one closer to where I live.
5.611/10
Meh. So we have an R-rated pinball machine; unlike Lebowski, where the cussing makes some kind of elegant tie-in to what's going on in the pinball game, this is just kind of thrown out there. The machine I played on was full of bugs, throwing balls out and swallowing them, and the playfield seemed really unbalanced. Even getting into a couple of multiballs, I didn't feel that sense of either discovery or anticipation, and hitting jackpots was strangely underplayed. I don't like the feel of the flippers, either, which feel like they're toys. The bugs in the software and bad STDM throws turned me off soon enough, though, and I doubt seriously there's much in the theme to draw me back in given the poor overall gameplay. But, it's still better than Domino's.
2.916/10
This was in a tournament - a TOURNAMENT - I played in, if you can imagine that. I can't, because the machine was so badly malfunctioning (throwing balls STDM, zotzing them, switches not tripping, etc.) it was taken out of the tournament after an hour or so. I idiotically had played a bunch of games on it by then, figuring as the machine I was least familiar with I should spend the most time on it. I even more idiotically played more later when it got moved onto the floor and turned back on, because of some kind of pathological interest in the truly terrible.

Well, I could rag on the horrible theme (Domino's Pizza?) and the resulting banal artwork and animations but they take a backseat to the truly off-line design of the playing field. Every Spooky I've tried has had similar issues, but this was truly the worst.

I'll just leave it at that: I'm no fan of most Stern designs of the last 15 years, and am sick of their playfield gimmicks that trap balls and toys that break after being on site for three months, but at least they generally work and have a coherent set of rules. This, OTOH, may be the most ill-conceived and poorly-executed pinball machine in a generation.
5.601/10
I got a chance to play this on-location, and fed a lot of quarters into it only to find it's got significant bugs. The other Heighway game was in much better playing shape (the motorcycle game) and hands down I'd rather play that one.

It wasn't just the bugs that suddenly stopped the game from time to time, or left the machine thinking it had balls when it didn't; the game just stopped having flow of any sort, and while the playfield looks like it might as least be as good as your typical Stern, there just wasn't any consistent ball rhythm to the thing.

I will say the jaw-droppingly impressive back display nearly swayed me, or rather, it did inveigle me into putting a few more dollars into the machine. The theme allows you to pick from the first two Alien movies (sort of two games in one that way) (what, no love for Alien Resurrection?) and the animated video display on the back shows super well-done versions of the heads up displays and shooting style from the movie. It has real potential in that sense to be a great theme pin.

But in the end, it was deadly boring because of the failures and the multiple ball hiccups (particularly with the "plunger" and scoops). Not knowing exactly when the machine is going to burp and die is not the kind of tension one wants to build up with _Alien_.
5.531/10
I got to play a prototype version of this game in both single user mode and multi-machine networked mode at a recent tournament where it was up at the venue. The basic game is like a carnival game, more so than a traditional pinball; you have to shoot at animated pirate ships in the backglass/animated display as they pass from left to right and change directions, shooting the pinballs exactly so. It's an interesting training exercise, as it were, but the play itself is like every video submarine game from the 70's and 80's, only you're flipping balls instead of firing on-screen torpedoes.

The networked game is basically a parallel-play version, where you get identical challenges but one of you does better than the other.

As with all the other P3s I've tried (I think I've tried them all, at least all I've heard of) there are some intriguing ideas for innovation here that come up significantly short when it comes to execution in terms of a Fun Quotient. So I give it a friendly pat on the head but it's way, way down on my must-own must-play list right now.
7.756/10
Pr
8.836/10
Beautiful cabinet, backglass and playfield art. Wolverine scale a little off but Magneto looks good. The rule set is excellent after some seriously needed updates which tarnished its reputation early on after release. Some call outs are aweful and completely over the top but others like Deadpool are hilarious. Everyone loves an upper flipper to ramp shot and this one is awesome. Overall very good and I'm probably in a minority of one but I actually prefer it to the similarly laid out Tron!
8.396/10
Very good game! The shots feel very good and always a challenge to play. I focus so much Tortuga and the Kraken that I forget there is the jack the monkey shot and the heart chest. The theme is integrated well into the game and I really lIke the toys
9.340/10
A classic in all respects. You can really feel that the designers of LotR wanted the game to succeed. The rules are wonderfully thought out and fine tuned. The shots are very satisfying. And the theme is presented in a way that only a few games in history have managed to achieve.

The game does have its flaws: the Gimly VUK, the Path of the Dead, pixelated art and flippers that get weaker during a longer game come to mind. To me, they are overshadowed by all the goodness of the game.

To me, LotR was the game that put pinball in general back into the saddle. This was at a time when the public had nearly forgotten about pinball and fans were wondering if it would survive the modern age of gaming. It turned pinball's tide. Clearly Sterns best effort up to date, it was proof that pinball could move on after the decline of Bally/WMS. And so it has. There and back again.
9.660/10
I put about 30 games on this machine. Although the theme is different (I actually commend them for that). I find the game somewhat boring, repetitive, and not very energetic (maybe why I like music themes so much). My hope is that the game will mature with new code. If it does I am sure the game will improve immensely....

round 2....played another 20+ games, and now I'm a believer...WOW....
7.815/10
Spot Pool is the Italian version of Bank Shot. Bank Shot was the game that Roger Sharpe used to demonstrate the "skill" involved in playing pinball that got the game back into NYC.

The Pros:
Lots to shoot for. Some shots are gimmes. the lane shots at the top of the PF can be shot from below (so tough) as well as dropped in from above with a bit of nudging and luck. Complete all 15 ball targets ASAP and hit the alternating lit "WOW" at the saucers and the center "1" upper lane. The 1 lane from the top is the "skill" shot Roger hit to prove his point to the NYC legislators and is an absolute priority from the plunger. Lighting 1-5 also lights up the pops which can offer big points! The hundred thousand score is tracked by lights (not a reel. vintage 50's!). This can be a bit of a surprise when you thought you rolled it into 200 k and the light just comes on instead. 300k, 400k, 500k and so on...

The Cons:
Finding a copy with a nice PF and BG is a tough call.

The Takeaway:
A very simple, but never easy game from Master K and the king of pinball in the early 70's, Gottlieb. This game is a true player that keeps on giving.
6.473/10
Sharpshooter is the first game by GamePlan. It's a good start and with few exceptions (andromeda, pinball lizard and if you can find them... cyclopes or loch ness monster!), is their best game as well.

The Pros:
This game lives up to it's name and offers the player many tempting targets. Some are close to the flippers and others are full PF shots. Sounds are well done. Double pops by the flippers have not been seen since Pat Hand. The horseshoe and the saucer shots as well as the orbit are tight and skillful. There are some slight adjustments to the layout that really "refine" the game, notably around the saucer and the spinner.

The Cons: Parts?
The Artwork is not the best, with a different artist, again.

The Takeaway:
A solid game for 1979. Not enough to keep up with the pace of 1983 games. It's too bad that they did not keep up with the rest of the industry... Game Plan made some great machines and this is one of them.
6.094/10
This is a great example of what people refer to when a 70's williams game is "ok".

The Pros:
Fast shots and wide open PF.

The Cons:
uninspired artwork and a layout that is SCREAMING for action (specifically a spinner on the left lane to the top). This deck REALLY needs to be maintained well to be of real interest. The play can get flat fast.

The Takeaway:
If you can find a sweet well maintained copy, great! If not, walk on by...
7.017/10
Special Force was a game that I had looked for, for a long time. Thanks to Mr. Ron Schuster in PA, I finally got my hands on a copy.

The Pros:
A great layout with lots to shoot for. The classic Bally build/collect bonus scoring scheme is well implemented here and is part of the multiball qualification process. Multiball rerquires shots to be made all over the PF and when collected builds the "escape" bonus during multiball. Using the rockets to drop the drop targets on the respective sides of the PF adds to the strategy of the game. Do you want to use the rockets? Do you want to save the rockets? Decisions, decisions... The helicopter ramp is a great idea that uses the saucer as a randomizer for the ball's path as it drops back onto the PF. It's a really cool idea that I don't recall ever seeing in any other game. The layered plastics of the jungle make for an amazing effect and the vacuum formed ramps give us an idea of things to come with Blackwater 100. The Centaur outlane gates mean that nudging is still in fashion in late 1986. I heartily approve! The rules on this game are what will keep you coming back. Considering this is Nordman's first design, I am thoroughly impressed with it.

The Cons:
The cheapo black bally cabinet blows. I'm not a big fan of the theme and while I like the effect of dropping bombs on the thatch roofed huts... it bums me out. What can I say, I don't like the smell of napalm in the morning. Other than the helicopter blades, the sounds on this game are super cheesy. The BG is not my favorite. Oh well.

The Takeaway:
A much better game than most would give it credit for. Not the best looking or sounding table, but this game has it where it counts: IN THE GAME! They can still be found for cheap and when set up properly, offers challenging and strategic play. I may have to put this one on the want list!
4.049/10
The ball arch u-turn. It begins.

The Pros:
Ummm... the cabiniet looks good. BG is ok.

The Cons:
Gameplay is lackluster to say the least.

The Takeaway:
Take it away from my sight.
7.395/10
This is one of those woodrails that makes you play in a very specific way.

The Pros:
The concept and play of the game means that every shot, every plunge you make, counts towards your game strategy.

The Cons:
Spelling A-P-T can get old

The Takeaway:
An interesting game that takes some skill and a whole lot of luck!
6.670/10
A relatively rare game from Stern v.1

The Pros:
One of the fastest single level PF games I have ever experienced. The drop target placement means that you will be clipping targets as you run the ball through the lanes. A well placed shot will sweep all 3 targets down at once. The spinner shot is way sweet!

The Cons:
I have only played one copy and have to say that the jury is still out with this table. I just don't "get it" yet. Could really use another spinner on the left lane.

The Takeaway:
Find one if you can and play it. Your mileage may vary. I believe there is solid gameplay in this design, I just have yet to really find it.
6.415/10
Happy Tour is the AAB version of Grand Tour.

The Pros:
Nine shots all over the PF mean that you have to work those Eeeeety Beeety Fleeepers for all they are worth! A great BG with lots of detail and a solid PF wth Can-can girls is always a bonus. The carryover feature makes you keep your eyes on the places travelled across the globe. Opening the gate and getting that ball all the way up the right side of the PF is VERY satisfying. A real skill shot with real consequences to your game, love it!

The Cons:
Even with all of the shots to make, this PF comes up as, well... boring. Maybe I need to find another copy that plays with a bit more zip?

The Takeaway:
Maybe I need to spend more time on this deck to really let it shine, but so far... I'm not feelin' it.

Me: Thank you Tim Arnold and Shaggy at Vfwpinball.com

Tim Arnold: Bah...

Much pin-love to Tim, his wife and all the PHOF volunteers! Thank you to Clay Harrell and his band of merry pin-peoples!
3.956/10
Hi Dolly, as compared to Hello Dolly.

The Pros:
The BG is great. But Barbara got a nosejob.

The Cons:
Gameaplay and cuck-tac-u-lar themes are lame. One of the lesser games from Neyens/Parker from this vintage.

The Takeaway:
Bye Felicia.
5.502/10
After Baby-Pacman... came Granny and the Gators.

The Pros:
The pinball game is really quite good. Interesting shots and fun to be had.

The Cons:
The videogame is HORRIBLE. As in it is infuriating to play. The opposite of fun.

The Takeaway:
Would someone kindly remove or re-write the video game portion of this table? I know it is asking a lot, but the vidja on this deck is not helping out the team.
There are 30456 ratings (that include a comment). Currently showing results page 13 of 1219.