Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 381 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160902_131806 (resized).jpg
    puscifer.jpg
    aiw.png
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389b68339be9cdc9657031c091f8a9d9fad23db51.jpg
    7b0e4718e6eef42fc5014ecc2289dff487636b621.jpg
    11313406_1474570746188304_921389254_n1.jpg
    primus4up.jpg
    07fe2035d2c1e77ce414f5d72acd81f7.png
    tester.jpg
    aiw_crestDET.jpg
    alice_crest_bg.jpg
    AIWFS2.jpg
    AIWFS1.jpg
    There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Well I guess we know 200 is not enough.....lol, it sold out just as fast. Love your work Jeremy, but let me be clear here, there is enough money in the pinball community to keep you working for the rest of your life. I think you are underestimating your audience. I bet you could do a run of 400 and it would sell in hours. Pinball collectors have more money than they know what to do with it.......Hence why they are spending $8000 on a game. I personally hope you stay with us and continue to devote your talent to this amazing hobby. That being said, this limited crap is for another industry. Pinball collectors are going to buy whether it's limited or not, you are only charging $35. If you want to limit it, limit the time you will be taking orders. Make it available for a limited time??? Brother you have a family to take care of, be more business man and less artist. Now let's put our heads (I.e pin side community) together and make you some money!

This sounds like a great idea! In the gig poster realm it could never happen so I never considered it. But I like this as it makes more sense. Hmmmm... ok - next time #1 at least a week lead time on the sale #2a 3 day duration that is open & then editioned based on sales... variants would still be limited - but maybe I could increase amount or do multiple variants... will think that one over.

Lastly - for the record - I held back 50 prints from this edition for the possible out of towners - so I'll make those available next week & will update you ASAP on WHEN

THANKS to all who bought & support! Some REALLY exciting stuff is brewing all thanks to you folks!

#302 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Burned up this little guy on solid stock maple. Staining & will finish it off this weekend...
    tester.jpg

I'm interested in the wood carved items.

#303 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I take it Stern contacted you for some sort of aftermarket mod? Now if you could just do the all art for Stern's next title, I think many people would be happy.

Nah - this was for the 4th season premiere. They had a gallery show in LA & I was asked to be a part of it. I had just started playing with lasers and it came out of that Now as for the 2nd part - I'd be down for that for sure! Go spam Stern and tell them you want it to happen haha

#304 8 years ago

Well I guess we know 200 is not enough.....lol, it sold out just as fast. Love your work Jeremy, but let me be clear here, there is enough money in the pinball community to keep you working for the rest of your life. I think you are underestimating your audience. I bet you could do a run of 400 and it would sell in hours. Pinball collectors have more money than they know what to do with it.......Hence why they are spending $8000 on a game. I personally hope you stay with us and continue to devote your talent to this amazing hobby. That being said, this limited crap is for another industry. Pinball collectors are going to buy whether it's limited or not, you are only charging $35. If you want to limit it, limit the time you will be taking orders. Make it available for a limited time??? Brother you have a family to take care of, be more business man and less artist. Now let's put our heads (I.e pin side community) together and make you some money!

Respectfully disagree. I love the collector side of things. (And full disclosure, I wanted a crest and was out of town and did not get one) It's cool to have something not everyone owns. The answer, I suppose, lies in the middle. Also, as no doubt is considered in this business, is the idea of how scarcity creates and drives sales. A product that is limited simply sells better, generally speaking, than one that is not. Clearly there is a demand for the AIW artwork. The question becomes whether making the artwork unlimited decrease it's desirability to the (or a significant portion thereof) consumer. Selling out of a limited product run and having customers who did not get one causes many to become even more interested in the next release. Just because an artist can squeeze more money out of a particular product does not always mean that's the right decision. That's short-term thinking. It's not like ZY is going to run out of ideas or kickass works of art. If you missed the last one, try to get the next one. Being a pinball "collector" is cool for many reasons, one of which is the collectibility of what we do; unlimited runs of anything sharply decreases the "collectibility" of the product.

Keep up the awesome work ZY! Find a happy medium between maintaining the collectibility and desirability of your work, while earning the living you deserve.

#305 8 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

It's cool to have something not everyone owns.

This mindset is a detriment to every hobby I've enjoyed over the years. Comics, vinyl records, screen-printed posters, sneakers, now pinball. I guess I'm not wired to enjoy something more when other people aren't able to enjoy it. Comics in the '90s are a prime example of collectability trumping quality and eventually undermining the hobby itself.

Rant over. No offense intended to you personally.

#306 8 years ago

^ That said, I understand that screen printing requires a pre-determined production run, and that poster collecting is tailor made for limited edition lust. Necessary evil. Rant really over this time.

#307 8 years ago

Also interested in a print of the Magic Girl translight. The artwork is just gorgeous.

#308 8 years ago
    Quoted from Euchrid:

Respectfully disagree. I love the collector side of things. (And full disclosure, I wanted a crest and was out of town and did not get one) It's cool to have something not everyone owns. The answer, I suppose, lies in the middle. Also, as no doubt is considered in this business, is the idea of how scarcity creates and drives sales. A product that is limited simply sells better, generally speaking, than one that is not. Clearly there is a demand for the AIW artwork. The question becomes whether making the artwork unlimited decrease it's desirability to the (or a significant portion thereof) consumer. Selling out of a limited product run and having customers who did not get one causes many to become even more interested in the next release. Just because an artist can squeeze more money out of a particular product does not always mean that's the right decision. That's short-term thinking. It's not like ZY is going to run out of ideas or kickass works of art. If you missed the last one, try to get the next one. Being a pinball "collector" is cool for many reasons, one of which is the collectibility of what we do; unlimited runs of anything sharply decreases the "collectibility" of the product.
    Keep up the awesome work ZY! Find a happy medium between maintaining the collectibility and desirability of your work, while earning the living you deserve.

I can tell you have no clue what it is like to be a contract artist or any type of artist.......You completely missed my point. I could give a crap about a $35 print. I want to give him $250-$500 to do his art work justice......I am talking about full color, back glass or whatever. No where in your ramble did you factor in the most important fact......he is only charging $35 and 200 is not all that limited given the subject matter and a pinball audience. The fact he sold out so quickly points to the fact that he is pricing his work too cheaply.......business 101. Know your audience, business 102.......It's all good my friend, we can agree on one very important fact.............we are lucky to have Jeremy and we all want him to do well. I gave up my dream to be an artist because the money was shit and good luck finding healthcare as a "gun for hire". It's not enough for people to say, "cool, I love your art".........This man has a family to provide for. I make good money now and have seen what happened to all of my artist friends that followed their dreams........I believe our artists are one of the greatest assets this country has, but unfortunately we pay our artists less than most garbage men......".

#309 8 years ago

I can tell you have no clue what it is like to be a contract artist or any type of artist.......You completely missed my point. I could give a crap about a $35 print. I want to give him $250-$500 to do his art work justice......I am talking about full color, back glass or whatever. No where in your ramble did you factor in the most important fact......he is only charging $35 and 200 is not all that limited given the subject matter and a pinball audience. The fact he sold out so quickly points to the fact that he is pricing his work too cheaply.......business 101. Know your audience, business 102.......It's all good my friend, we can agree on one very important fact.............we are lucky to have Jeremy and we all want him to do well. I gave up my dream to be an artist because the money was shit and good luck finding healthcare as a "gun for hire". It's not enough for people to say, "cool, I love your art".........This man has a family to provide for. I make good money now and have seen what happened to all of my artist friends that followed their dreams........I believe our artists are one of the greatest assets this country has, but unfortunately we pay our artists less than most garbage men......".

I am an artist and understand how to price work, as does ZY. ZY noted previously he feels indebted to the community and recognizes many of his supporters have already lost considerable money to the games he helped creatively design. I can also speak personally to how just a few dollars can shift buyers out of purchases, and so yes art is generally lower priced than some are willing to pay. I'll instead applaud ZY for getting a price point that grows his fan base quickly and remaining profitable.

For the type of reproduction he's distributing and in the edition he's running, I'd say ZY a smart man and on target to grow his base while keeping the kids in new kicks.

Also remember, the work he's been sharing was already produced, so there's no new creative time for the most part.

If your really interested in giving him money, understand that $200-500 doesn't come close to what it would cost in his time to create a new piece. However if your hardcore as your post seems to suggest, email ZY and ask him for a price on a commissioned original work. That's real patronage.

#310 8 years ago

So just fyi - I've been trying for sometime, behind the scenes, to create a collective of illustrator friends & colleagues with unique perspectives that I can introduce to the pinball world. These are folks that I think you'll like and I'm hoping to start sharing soon! And for the record, I get nothing out of this push - this is for the artists and the art form. I think new ideas and perspectives are ALWAYS a good thing

Hopefully you guys are cool with it I'm calling it the 'Bang Back Collective' for a few reasons - one of which is it sounds dirty haha

#311 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Hopefully you guys are cool with it I'm calling it the 'Bang Back Collective' for a few reasons - one of which is it sounds dirty

That sounds awesome actually.

#312 8 years ago
    #313 8 years ago

While your art looks great Fantasygoat its not really cool to jump on Yeti's post like that. Its the same if you have a pin for sale and someone else jumps in...I have one for sale also.

#314 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If people are looking for pinball-themed screenprinted art, there's a new series now available:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-art-prints

poor form Jeremy

#315 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If people are looking for pinball-themed screenprinted art, there's a new series now available:

Very poor form

#316 8 years ago

ZY, please do another run of the first AIW poster.

If not, is anyone willing to sale an extra?

#317 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

So just fyi - I've been trying for sometime, behind the scenes, to create a collective of illustrator friends & colleagues with unique perspectives that I can introduce to the pinball world. These are folks that I think you'll like and I'm hoping to start sharing soon! And for the record, I get nothing out of this push - this is for the artists and the art form. I think new ideas and perspectives are ALWAYS a good thing
    Hopefully you guys are cool with it I'm calling it the 'Bang Back Collective' for a few reasons - one of which is it sounds dirty haha

Great idea! Always love to discover new talent.

#318 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Wow. Um... not to be a dick, but in my short time doing what I do I could never imagine jumping on another artists thread to promote my own... good luck.

#319 8 years ago
    Quoted from jazc4:

ZY, please do another run of the first AIW poster.
    If not, is anyone willing to sale an extra?

I think you will see them come available. I framed one of the ones I got and sold the other last week. Someone else got a deal (and a great poster) and I really didn't need 2 of them.

I think if you're patient (and timely) you will be able to find one.

Chris

#320 8 years ago

Sorry guys, since people seemed to be looking for art and YZ's stuff was sold out, I thought I was just offering up an alternative. Didn't realize it was taboo.

#321 8 years ago

Just received my order, shipping took some time to Europe, but WOUW it looks amazing. Customs had me paid import fees, freaking 23 euros.

So, when are you going to run the Magic Girl prints ?

#322 8 years ago

Lol at the title change.

#323 8 years ago

C'mon ZY--run us some more foil prints! Maybe next time I'll be fast enough to snag one

#324 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Sorry guys, since people seemed to be looking for art and YZ's stuff was sold out, I thought I was just offering up an alternative. Didn't realize it was taboo.

Well, if it was an accident, then it's TOTALLY fine and BEYOND understandable </sarcasm style="bold">

Seriously though - had you not contacted me to be a part of 'it' months prior, and I obviously was fine selling on my own - then I MIGHT believe it was an accident... as is you can see how i might be suspicious?

That said - what's done is done = no hard feelings.

#325 8 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

C'mon ZY--run us some more foil prints! Maybe next time I'll be fast enough to snag one

I like me some foil - so I def will! I may look at doing a special run on a different foil of the first AIW print down the line... I will say though - after this run of AIW crest prints (I should have next week to sign & start shipping) I will probably not do another release for a few months... but for good reasons

#326 8 years ago

Good reasons are good!...but sign me up in advance for that original AIW foil re-pop! Maybe a mailing list for your fans might be in order.

#327 8 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Good reasons are good!...but sign me up in advance for that original AIW foil re-pop! Maybe a mailing list for your fans might be in order.

Top Super Secret Mailing list

#328 8 years ago

Primus and Dinosaur Jr. almost got me.....

#329 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Primus and Dinosaur Jr. almost got me.....

I also did Faith No More's poster for the same night! I was a happy 13 yr old The faith no more prints are available at secretserpents.com fwiw

11313406_1474570746188304_921389254_n[1].jpg11313406_1474570746188304_921389254_n[1].jpg

#330 8 years ago

And for the record - non pinball related print release - Primus & Dinosaur Jr gig poster & variants are going up at 12PST here -> BUY HERE

Les loved this one & I know at least 2 people other than me here might dig too haha!

primus4up.jpgprimus4up.jpg

#331 8 years ago

Going back to the 'Bang Back Collective' idea... I want to introduce you to the guy who kicked me in the ass to pick up a pencil again after 10 years. He's one of the nicest guys I know (despite his tough guy persona) and he was the first person to hire me as an illustrator. We also played football together in middle school

His name is Joshua Smith and he goes by Hydro74.com - check him out, you've probably seen his work in the NBA, with Nike, or with Hasbro on toy packages etc... he's a rad dude who does amazing work! He's also an incredible typographer & I think getting him in on a pinball project for those skills alone would elevate the form!

7b0e4718e6eef42fc5014ecc2289dff487636b62[1].jpg7b0e4718e6eef42fc5014ecc2289dff487636b62[1].jpg

389b68339be9cdc9657031c091f8a9d9fad23db5[1].jpg389b68339be9cdc9657031c091f8a9d9fad23db5[1].jpg

#332 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

He's also an incredible typographer & I think getting him in on a pinball project for those skills alone would elevate the form!

Agreed, his typography is awesome. He's got great handstyles off of the computer too. I've used some of his fonts for projects before.

#333 8 years ago

I once did a paint by number that my mom hung on her wall.

#334 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed, his typography is awesome. He's got great handstyles off of the computer too. I've used some of his fonts for projects before.

If you ever need any I can get them to you He's a good guy - he plays hard and fast - but he's a softy hahaa
    Check his speech from last years Adobe MAX - touching and inspiring stuff.

#335 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I once did a paint by number that my mom hung on her wall.

Wolfmarsh is next on the list of my dreamteam! CONFIRMED!!!

#336 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Wolfmarsh is next on the list of my dreamteam! CONFIRMED!!!

If you want software written or a flying robot with lasers on it's head, I'm your guy.

I'll stick to appreciating art from guys like you.

#337 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If you want software written or a flying robot with lasers on it's head, I'm your guy.
    I'll stick to appreciating art from guys like you.

Interestingly enough - I might! My former life was in interface design & I'm fairly literate in a handful of scripting languages going back... that said - i know folks in that realm that are always in need of this & that... email me and let's talk! [email protected]

2 weeks later
    #339 8 years ago

Did the AIW crests ship yet? Ordered mine in that tiny window when they went up for sale...

#340 8 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

What's the status on the art?

Quoted from callmesteam:

Did the AIW crests ship yet? Ordered mine in that tiny window when they went up for sale...

Apologies! Prints started shipping last week! I had 2 major gig poster releases drop on top of this one - so I had about 500 prints to sign & about that many orders!?!

So - if you are in the US you should see them in the next week! If not - kick in the door!

As for my recent silence... I've been in crunch mode on projects...one of which is a pin project that is hard to contain my giddiness for - I don't want to NOT tell - but it'll be worth the wait

Thanks! j

#341 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

one of which is a pin project that is hard to contain my giddiness for - I don't want to NOT tell - but it'll be worth the wait
    Thanks! j

Fantastic news! Congratulations. Can't wait to find out what it is. Maybe JJP/Pat's custom themed game???

#342 8 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Fantastic news! Congratulations. Can't wait to find out what it's is. Maybe JJP/Pat's custom themed game???

So this is why I'm staying silent Any response would be a clue - right? haha

But THANK YOU! I'm beyond lucky to be involved & will do my damnedest to knock this project (I'm not saying who or what) out of the park!

#343 8 years ago

Ha! It took you 4 minutes to realize your thumbs up of my post was acknowledgement.

I have no doubt, whomever the company or project is; the art will be out of sight. I'm so glad something good came out of that other situation.

#344 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

As for my recent silence... I've been in crunch mode on projects...one of which is a pin project that is hard to contain my giddiness for - I don't want to NOT tell - but it'll be worth the wait

So what period did you go for? Powerslave or Number of the Beast?

rd

#345 8 years ago

I received crest 21/200 today, beautiful work once again yeti. Thanks!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#346 8 years ago

Cant wait to see mine! Hopefully its waiting for me when I get home!

#347 8 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Half-Life pin confirmed!!!

#348 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

So what period did you go for? Powerslave or Number of the Beast?

I'm guessing he called someone else.

#349 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm guessing he called someone else.

Ghostbusters!

(Do I get a prize for working out the cryptic clue?)

rd

#350 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Ghostbusters!
    (Do I get a prize for working out the cryptic clue?)
    rd

Oh, damn. A Ghostbusters pin with zombieyeti art?!? Be still my heart!

There are 381 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zombieyeti-and-the-selling-of-art/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.