(Topic ID: 101696)

The Walking Dead ZOMBIE shooter from pinball_customs!

By pinball_customs

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 292 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by stretch2
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20150130_234351.jpg
20141230_160549.jpg
image-948.jpg
image-682.jpg
image.jpg
10801901_10205430991401015_1761675359668907309_n.jpg
image.jpg
kicker arm.jpg
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG
20141027_204933.jpg
20141020_232932.jpg
20141020_232911.jpg
20141020_232845.jpg
20141020_232830.jpg
There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 9 years ago

Sounds like you can also start working on mods for hobbit. Doh!

#52 9 years ago

way ahead of you

239506.jpg239506.jpg

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

So to keep things going with TWD ('cause I fricken love zombies) I'm going to re-hash my old bone flipper concept and sculpt some with some rotting flesh, etc.

ALSO ... I will be selling this head as a non-shooter rod option in case you wanted to add it somewhere on the playfield (like under the left ramp!)

bones.jpg 141 KB

now this is what i'm talking about.

#54 9 years ago

So to keep things going with TWD ('cause I fricken love zombies) I'm going to re-hash my old bone flipper concept and sculpt some with some rotting flesh, etc.

ALSO ... I will be selling this head as a non-shooter rod option in case you wanted to add it somewhere on the playfield (like under the left ramp!)

bones.jpg 141 KB

I'm definitely in for both. Amazing work!

#55 9 years ago

Awesome work! Looking forward to seeing progress on the flippers.

#56 9 years ago

I had to finish the neck ... It was bothering me. Now it looks like a victim of Michonne! he's in the silicone right now, still curing.. I'll shoot my first cast tomorrow and fire off a few new pics. . In the meantime, I've started work on the zombie finger flippers.

#58 9 years ago

The bones on the playfield don't have any rotting flesh, their miss. Make em good enough to stink.

#59 9 years ago

Thanks, Mez! Yeah I'm going for creepy rotting fingers for sure.

Here's a pic of the neck area, and a couple of the demolded piece. Excited to start painting tomorrow

20140919_001011.jpg20140919_001011.jpg
20140919_002644.jpg20140919_002644.jpg
20140919_002542.jpg20140919_002542.jpg

#60 9 years ago

Right down to the that level of detail, awesome gruesomeness.

#61 9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing progress on the flippers soon. Keep up the superb work.

#62 9 years ago

Do you mould in the opening in the back, or drill each one individually or what?

Love the severed neck detail. Most people won't even see it, but that's the kind of attention to detail I dig.

#63 9 years ago

way ahead of you

239506.jpg 26 KB

Holy crap!

#64 9 years ago

Said it once...will say it again! Sick talent!

#65 9 years ago

Looking great!
Also second Aurichs post about how it gets attached to the shooter rod.

Do you use a 2 part mould, have any trouble with the cavity in the mouth? Id be interested in seeing more about your process, materials that you use.

#66 9 years ago

Nice! I wish you did the popup targets for The Hobbit!

#67 9 years ago

Final pics below.

20140922_072149.jpg20140922_072149.jpg
20140922_072116.jpg20140922_072116.jpg
20140922_072156.jpg20140922_072156.jpg
20140922_072054.jpg20140922_072054.jpg
20140922_072036.jpg20140922_072036.jpg
20140922_072002.jpg20140922_072002.jpg

#68 9 years ago

Awesome!!!! Cant wait for my game and one of those bad boys to be installed on it!

#69 9 years ago

That's DISGUSTING!....in a good way!

#70 9 years ago

To answer your questions, I drill every shooter individually after casting (hence my drill injury earlier this year LOL!). My shooter rods are typically built with a single part mold, and I simply pop them out. More complex shooters do however require a two-part. Deep crevices and high detail used to be lost due to air bubbles, but I bought a vac chamber about a year ago and it's been a god-send... it's allowed me go into a level of detail I never thought possible. Air bubbles are almost a non-issue at this point. However, the lifespan of the mold is as with more complex detail comes faster mold degradation. I'm betting I'll only get about 20 heads from this mold before I have to make a new one. The T2 molds I get maybe 10 pieces out of. It all depends on the complexity really.

Anyway after pouring the resin and it cures, I then pop out the piece and remove the flashing (waste). From there I sand down the necessary areas, wash each one with soap and water to remove the mold release. After everything has dried, I drill each one out using a real funny drill bit size (lol). Fill each one with glue and carefully set each blank shooter rod inside so that they're all set to the same length of a regular shooter rod. This is a common mistake for other shooter rod makers I think. Set the rod too deep or too shallow and it totally changes how the ball launches. Anyway from there I prime each piece and hand paint them. Then I apply a minimum 3 layers of clearcoat for durability, let that cure for a few days and mail them out accordingly.

Each shooter takes approximately 2 hours from start to finish to produce, which can make for some long nights sometimes.. but I enjoy it. Seeing one of my finished products out in the wild or on pins at Expo brings a smile to my face, as I'm sure it does a lot of other mod makers out there.

This zombie head took over 2 hours just to paint, but that's always the case with the first few while I get my paint scheme down.

Making custom shooter rods from scratch is something I've been doing for almost 7 years now, so there's been a lot of trial and error to get things to where they are now.

#71 9 years ago

Ok, So is t his for sale now?
If so, can I be first
Thanks Brock

#72 9 years ago

Wow, that thing is frightening. I'd be afraid of having my hand nibbled on .

#73 9 years ago

Yup, officially for sale!! $65 shipped worldwide.

$55 shipped if you want just the head (no shooter) so you can make your own playfield mod with it.

payments can be sent to [email protected], PLEASE make sure you put in the notes what you're buying. Please be patient for your order to arrive, I make them from scratch on a per-order basis.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

- B

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow, that thing is frightening. I'd be afraid of having my hand nibbled on .

Keep the ball alive, you won't have to touch it

Looks great Brock…..maybe I should buy one just in case….

#75 9 years ago

errr also, when my flipper tops are done I'll be selling these as a kit with the shooters, so anyone buying a shooter now that wants the flipper tops as well will get a discount on those when they're available.

- B

#76 9 years ago

Just sent you a PM Brock

#77 9 years ago

Great shooter rod. Kudos to you.

#78 9 years ago

just a quick thread title change to reflect the finished piece. Thanks again to all for the kind words. I'm looking forward to doing the zombie flippers to match

#79 9 years ago

I'm looking forward to doing the zombie flippers to match

Definitely start a separate thread for those, I can see people with other games being interested in something like that. EATPM, Scared Stiff, Tales from the Crypt, Metallica, just to name a few.

#80 9 years ago

just a quick thread title change to reflect the finished piece. Thanks again to all for the kind words. I'm looking forward to doing the zombie flippers to match

Sent you an email respond already

#81 9 years ago

Gotta have one.

#82 9 years ago

Great to see someone in Canada making these !!

#83 9 years ago

*bump*

I like to do these in batches to save time on setup (resin, paint colours, etc). So that said, I'm trying to get as many pre-orders in as possible before the weekend.

Cheers

- Brock

#84 9 years ago

Awesome product .. do you confirm via email.

I am in for this. Fits well on any pin, if you are a zombie freak!

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

do you confirm via email.

I'm not sure I understand this question..

#86 9 years ago

For clarification : I sent you a paypal payment. Should i expect anything else besides a zombie shooter arriving in the mail someday. If you receive a paypal payment do you send a confirmation email?

Great work , thanks

Ed Z

#87 9 years ago

I am sending payment when I get home tonight Brock. Don't send them out without mine

#88 9 years ago

Ed! Thanks for clarification. Sorry about that.

From here, just expect to get your shooter in the mail.

#89 9 years ago

Looks fantastic. Let us know when you have stuff finished for "The Hobbit" as well.

#90 9 years ago

bravo !

#91 9 years ago

Bump for the night crowd

#92 9 years ago

Check your PM's and bump

#93 9 years ago

Bump for a great guy who mods one of the best pinball shooters around.

#95 9 years ago

You guys rock... almost brings a tear to the eye.

#96 9 years ago

Got a weird question from a member.. "do your shooters come clearcoated or do I have to do it myself?". Then I realized why... bobbleheads aren't typically clearcoated.

The answer is YES. All of my hand-made parts come with at least 3 layers of clearcoat.

- B

#97 9 years ago

Bump for impatiently waiting for zombie finger flippers.

#98 9 years ago

PM sent. Looks amazing.

#99 9 years ago

I got hit with a nasty cold on the weekend so I'm a little behind, but production on the zombie shooters is back in full swing. If you want in on this batch, now's the time!

- B

#100 9 years ago

I am also waiting to see what the flippers look like. I have a feeling it is a set I am gonna need to order.

There are 292 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zombies-soon-from-pinball_customs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.