Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DS_Nadine
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hey everyone. First off, I apologize for posting anything remotely negative publicly on Pinside. That may sound like irony or sarcasm, and it's def there - BUT - I'm actually kind of serious for a change. Regrettably And frankly, I have better things to be using my time doing - but I feel like this train is a ways from the station...

So, full disclosure: I had a rough year personally and professionally last year - and have made a lot of personal reassessments & general prioritization in life as a result. I share this only so you can hopefully understand that what I'm about to skirt around is not meant to damage anyone but defend those being wrongly damaged.

Any guesses what this is about? Pinball! Obvious. I know.... but more about the behind the scenes/curtains/locker-room innuendo that has been being thrown about for a while now by people based on an individuals actions and words.

Here's what I want to say about 'it' based on what I know...

The most recent social media musings by a colleague intimating that Stern pinball is/was both resistant to 'their work' and or 'their ideas' on particular licenses is patently misleading. I really hope it's not intentionally misleading... but I'm unable to speak to the colleague because they purged me long ago... BUT someone shared a current post and thread that is pointed and misleading and I felt it worth rebutting.... or at least explaining as cryptically as possible

I won't share details or processes but the current 'tale' being told is not true and is really damaging to the community and the personal reputations unwillingly ensnared.

Let me make this fact clear: Licensors are the ultimate deciders on who does what in the realm of art. I personally 'try out' for every project I've ever done. That's standard in any license-based product for any industry. /end fact

Sooooooo - to insinuate or to blame Stern or the Art Director at Stern for failing a try-out is just plain wrong. (And we are given more than one try -btw)

Greg Freres goes to bat for all artists on the team for all projects. In fact, Greg is perhaps too supportive of the artists at times to the point of getting the brunt of the burn in any situation. Part of being in a team environment is working together - and having disagreements to create resolutions. (Ask Dwight! We love to scrap! Problem solving 101 is predicated on having a problem to solve- right? )

So, to all those loving to hate people at Stern based on rumor and innuendo: I've said it, and I'll continue to say it loooong after I'm gone from pinball: The creative staff at Stern are some of the best intentioned, creative, kind, and amazingly talented people I've worked with. They are also nice human beings with feelings and emotions. They deserve the benefit of the doubt as much as you or I. This is not hyperbole either - I know bad people and bad business and I've yet to find them at Stern in any team I'm a part of.

And I don't get any benefit out of sharing this other than I know it's right to defend any good persons name or reputation when/if you can. So now you know why I gave the full disclosure above and hopefully you don't think I'm trying to insert drama or grandstanding. I promise I'm not (intentionally).

I'm a freelancer. I'm hired help. Some licencors won't like my work. I won't blame them or anyone else. I'll move on.

Life is too short to waste energy. So please focus it on supporting people versus feeding the easy crowd of haters. I realize the irony in me 'calling out' a person here - but I'm trying to call out the words. Again, I'll assume it's unintentional - I want nothing but the best for everyone.

And I do apologize for this post, I know it's a meandering ramble for such a small and succinct issue - but you know I like cluttering up big empty space (where's the 'pepto-text-color' tag when you need it)

Thanks - j

#2 4 years ago

Keep doing what you’re doing, ZY. You rock!

#3 4 years ago

Love your work, Jeremy. Deadpool is a masterpiece.

#4 4 years ago

Very well said. We should all rise above the toxic drama. Keep the faith and the beautiful work coming.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

but I'm unable to speak to the colleague because they purged me long ago.

That is a shame.

No way to resolve something if one party won't participate.

Things taken out of context, out right lies and bs, spread. And then other people start believing it. All of a sudden you are the bad guy.

Nothing new under the sun. The 9th commandment covers this. We'll never learn.

LTG

#6 4 years ago

Keep doing good work man. That is what matters to the vast majority of those in the hobby, though not the most vocal.

#7 4 years ago

Who would have thought zombies were so well spoken? /end zombie joke

#8 4 years ago

No need to apologize to support people's reputation, or to say you feel that this post is negative. There's too much of far worse on this site, this is pretty tame in the drama dept.

I for one appreciate the candor and info.

#9 4 years ago

I also have a lot of respect for artists which is why a Brom image is my avatar and username.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Who would have thought zombies were so well spoken? /end zombie joke

It’s the Yeti in me

#11 4 years ago

I love your pinball art!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Life is too short to waste energy. So please focus it on supporting people versus feeding the easy crowd of haters.

That should be posted across the top of the Pinside forum.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmike217:

That should be posted across the top of the Pinside forum.

Agreed.

#14 4 years ago

ZY, I met you at MGC, bought one of your translates and had a nice chat with you. I felt at the time that you were a very decent guy. The post you created reaffirms this belief. Keep being true to your values. It is noticed and is inspirational.

#15 4 years ago

I srsly have no clue about what recent stuff this is about but I guess I know whom your are talking about. XD

If my customer says "hide that cleavage", I will try to persuade him not to, but ultimately it's his decision and this is just "work" and the "customer is king". If I don't like it I may refrain to work with them again but I don't say "YOU TAKE IT THIS WAY OR YOU GET NOTHING, SO YOU HAVE TO START COMPLETELY FROM SCRATCH ALTOUGH YOU HAVE NO TIME AND THE PICTURE HAS ALREADY BEEN SHOWN".

Noone would, would one?

But to be honest I hate working with licensors in the background, but my invoices resemble that, so it's ok.

But to get back on topic it is completely normal.
    There is a difference between being an artist and doing art (as a craftsmen)... and artists usually aren't good businessmen.

Edit:
    Oh but there's one Thing I don't get.
    How come you (he) does a full cab artwork for Kaminkow to pitch a license inside Stern.
    So if the licensor disagrees I get that, but why would you pitch a license with a completely finished artwork inside the company?

#16 4 years ago

Sorry I killed the thread!

Love your work ZY!

Love Stern for the most part.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zombie-yeti-s-guide-to-defending-good-people?hl=parzival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.