(Topic ID: 198853)

Zombie Yeti drawing alternative backglass.

By hool10

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by lasermel
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

A few months ago Jeremy Packer or "Zombie Yeti" was at Pintastic. Really great guy! The type of guy who you wouldn't mind having a beer with. It was a bit of a shocker that he said he really doesn't like drawing skulls and death all the time. Drawing zombie's was sort of the fad at that time and using a nickname as "Zombie Yeti' was both "cool" and a neat artist name.

I opened up the idea to Mr. Packer that if there was a Kickstarter or some way that he could A) Get the license to produce a limited run of re-imagined backglasses for classic titles. B) Have different reward tier's such as mirrored backglasses and signed translites.

He genuinely sounded interested in this idea and liked the thought of it. Imagine an alternate backglass for a Medieval Madness, Whitewater, etc. Jeremy did the artwork for Ghostbusters and according to Stern he did it in record time. He also does his artwork more traditionally by doing black and white first and shadowing and then adding color later. He has done a lot of silk screening in the past and it's with these reasons why GB has this rich and bold almost 3D looking artwork.

However doing art for Stern and formerly Zidware is not his only work. The pinball industry is rather new to him in fact. He has done work for Harley Davidson, Microsoft, Sublime, DeadMau5, Pintastic '17 and so many others. Some of his artwork can be seen here: https://www.behance.net/zombieyeti

Adobe Create Magazine also did a nice article and video on him: http://create.adobe.com/2014/12/18/zombies_yetis_pinball.html

I want to see what others think of this idea and I'm sure Jeremy does too. This is just to gauge interest.

#2 1 year ago

Stop talking about it and let's get this ball rolling. Love his artwork and he was awesome at Pintastic. Got a solid "Yes" vote here.
    -Mike

#3 1 year ago

I wouldn't recommend using Kickstarter as the funding method. It's too polarizing. Especially in this community.

That said, yes this could be amazing, but I think you are better off finding someone to fund the venture if needed.

#4 1 year ago

YES! We are all looking for good quality replacement parts for our games. GREEN LIGHT over here as well.

#5 1 year ago

Let's start with Doctor Who. Super easy and cheap to license from BBC. Lots of demand for an alternate DW artwork.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Imagine an alternate backglass for a Medieval Madness, Whitewater, etc.

Those already have great translites, not to mention 3D lenticular reproductions. How about something like a Flash backglass? Great game, high production, less than stellar art.

#7 1 year ago

This is a nobrainer........BSD!

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

This is a nobrainer........BSD!

I'd buy an alt backglass AND a playfield for this one!

#9 1 year ago

Demolition Man please....take my money!

#10 1 year ago

Cool idea, I doubt he'd do Shadow since there are a few floating around out there, but I'd totally buy one if he did.

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I wouldn't recommend using Kickstarter as the funding method. It's too polarizing. Especially in this community.
    That said, yes this could be amazing, but I think you are better off finding someone to fund the venture if needed.

But who's stepping up to fund it up front? This kind of smaller stakes project seems pretty well suited to Kickstarter. Gets a pool of money together without ZY (or someone else) having to take on the risk and see if they'll actually sell or not.

Put another way, would an appreciable number of people sit out if it's done through Kickstarter vs some other pre-order or deposit method? I'm not so sure that they would.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Let's start with Doctor Who. Super easy and cheap to license from BBC. Lots of demand for an alternate DW artwork.

I would probably buy this

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Cool idea, I doubt he'd do Shadow since there are a few floating around out there, but I'd totally buy one if he did.

But who's stepping up to fund it up front? This kind of smaller stakes project seems pretty well suited to Kickstarter. Gets a pool of money together without ZY (or someone else) having to take on the risk and see if they'll actually sell or not.
    Put another way, would an appreciable number of people sit out if it's done through Kickstarter vs some other pre-order or deposit method? I'm not so sure that they would.

I guess it depends on how much the project needs. How do you even quantify it? You have to have some idea of production costs. For some games, if not most, you'll need licensing rights. You have to have that all figured out before starting the Kickstarter. There's a lot that goes into having a successful Kickstarter. There will be upfront costs just to get it to Kickstarter. Those funds need to come from somewhere.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I guess it depends on how much the project needs. How do you even quantify it? You have to have some idea of production costs

Aurich could answer these questions for ZY.

Quoted from MinusWorlds:

For some games, if not most, you'll need licensing rights

Yes, that is a bit trickier. Since it wouldn't be reproductions of any existing art, who would the license be from? For DW it would be BBC, for one of the non-licensed B/W games would there even be a license holder at all if the art was completely different? Outside of my area.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes, that is a bit trickier. Since it wouldn't be reproductions of any existing art, who would the license be from? For DW it would be BBC, for one of the non-licensed B/W games would there even be a license holder at all if the art was completely different? Outside of my area.

Depends on so many factors. Are the rights abandoned? Can you make them in a way that the licensee cannot make a "likeness" claim?

Again, I'm not trying to be a fly in the ointment or piss in anyone's cereal. I just want to make sure all bases are covered. Because, this could be awesome.

#15 1 year ago

An alternate White Water translite with the name of the game on it (for those who don't have the topper) could be nice--although being a fan of Youssi artwork, I think he nailed it otherwise.

BSD would be great, Black Rose might be a nice one to revisit, all those really horrible Gottlieb System 80B photographic translites, and any backglass that has a massive actor's head that takes up like 80% of the real estate: Twister, LAH, JM. A project like this would probably have a far reaching audience if done right, and could put games back into the spotlight. I would have never considered owning TS if it weren't for Aurich's art package.

#16 1 year ago

Great idea!
    The Pinside price on a Gottlieb Genesis just jumped by at least $200 bucks.

#17 1 year ago

i dont care about the title, would buy it anyway. so please do this!

#18 1 year ago

RBION for sure. Congo too

Don't own either one anymore, but both need love in the translite department.

#19 1 year ago

Yeah the reason why I said some of Youssi games is because a game like BSD, while would be great especially considering I own one, is a sort of nightmare with licenses. I mean TAF is a no brainer too but just won't happen I think.

On Packer own website he has a store on it. So I think KS would be ideal because you could help get a translite/backglass/mirrored backglass made. There is actual monetary value associated with requested title(s) rather than say 200 Genesis translites made and only 43 sell. The problem is Pinsiders are rather impatient, very unsure of KS ever since JPOP, very unsure of that "newfangled gofundme-Kickstarter-Indiegogo-whathaveyou" websites, and people (myself starting to be curious) are wondering what the status is of their 30th anniversary Stern books. I think if Packer did a quick concept sketch it would give people a little more promise that it would get made and if anybody knows about getting conned it's Packer. He delivers though and delivers big time.

#20 1 year ago

The lack of communication and interminable delays by the Stern book team are a big reason why most Pinsiders might be hesitant to fund another Kickstarter project.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah the reason why I said some of Youssi games is because a game like BSD, while would be great especially considering I own one, is a sort of nightmare with licenses. I mean TAF is a no brainer too but just won't happen I think.

Nah, super easy. Just have is based on a powerful vampire in general and not Bram Stokers Drac specifically. Make a generic translight or backglass. Vampires are in the public domain. Maybe some people will hang it on their wall, maybe they will do something else with it.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just have is based on a powerful vampire in general and not Bram Stokers Drac specifically.

No worries, Bram Stoker's Dracula was written in the late 19th century and is public domain. Just avoid the movie logo and actor likenesses.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

With Kickstarter you're down 15-20% right off the bat if you offer rewards. This wouldn't be a huge project if you do them one at a time. Depending on how much Yeti wanted up front, you could probably get a run out for like $10-15k, then profit share from there.

#24 1 year ago

BSD would be a killer backglass by Yeti! And I love the sound of a chance at a mirrored option!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While I'd be happy to support Jeremy in any way I don't think he needs my help, he's got a ton of print experience, he knows how to handle this stuff.

I know everyone here means well, but personally I wouldn't want the forum planning my next project for me. Let him do his thing. It can feel a little weird when suddenly all these people are putting expectations on your art when you haven't even announced anything.

Edit: I don't mean to sound scolding, hopefully I don't. Everyone is different, I don't want to speak for Jeremy.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just have is based on a powerful vampire in general and not Bram Stokers Drac specifically. Make a generic translight or backglass. Vampires are in the public domain

Bram Stokers Dracula is also in the public domain and could be included. Those specific characters likenesses from the movie could not be, but the names and characters themselves could be (according to my understanding).

"Stoker did not register for a copyright on Dracula in the United States. In the United Kingdom, the work was protected for fifty years beyond Stoker's death in 1912 as dictated by law at the time—meaning that the book fully entered the public domain in 1962."

#27 1 year ago

If someone could secure the license for Harrison Ford's likeness and we could finally get an acceptable IJTPA backglass. That would be epic

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Those already have great translites, not to mention 3D lenticular reproductions.

3D Elvira please.....

#30 1 year ago

I think it would be cool to just create translites for 90's pins that could of been and just hang them on the wall. No worries about licenses for that and might appeal to a wider audience.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

While I'd be happy to support Jeremy in any way I don't think he needs my help, he's got a ton of print experience, he knows how to handle this stuff.
    I know everyone here means well, but personally I wouldn't want the forum planning my next project for me.

I hear you, but I only meant you know what the production cost of small batch translights or backglasses would be as I'm sure it's a bit different from other types of print. Now that you mention it, I'm sure ZY would have a pretty good idea on cost as well.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I hear you, but I only meant you know what the production cost of small batch translights or backglasses would be as I'm sure it's a bit different from other types of print. Now that you mention it, I'm sure ZY would have a pretty good idea on cost as well.

The costs aren't the kind of thing you need a Kickstarter for, depending on your situation, you will need some seed money though. I just looked, last print run I did I had to front about $4500. Less than a Stern Pro I guess! I mean it's money, not everyone can free up thousands like that, but it's not Kickstarter range. Again, not trying to speak for Jeremy, but I can't imagine these costs are any kind of surprise.

As for BSD, I've started my own alt translites for that one a couple times, it's a solid project because of how the lapsed copyright status works out, just never quite managed to get any steam built up on it. That's why I like to keep my projects to myself until they're ready.

#33 1 year ago

Good idea, and not just for ZY.

Re: licensing, it's only an issue re: trademarked titles, not the art.

You can get round it by not including a game's title. Also, for non-original themes where the copyright doesn't reside with WMS / PPS, most IP holders would likely consider it transformative, and too small to mess with in any case.

Only issue I see is that Stern may not like him doing this.

#34 1 year ago

I wouldn't be worried so much about Stern, more so with PPS.

#35 1 year ago

I think he means in the context that he works for Stern. Maybe I'm wrong

#36 1 year ago

Oh man, just think of that. Zombie yeti does a complete BSD overhaul. New art for the backglass, new overlay for playfield & new cabinet decals. A Zombie Yeti restore art package! Dots would still movie based, but they could still be well integrated.

A cult fan favorite pin like BSD is one of the few pins that deserve this kind of treatment. Being in the public domain is the key, so you don't have to worry about all the red tape.

I know it won't happen, but it's still fun to think about

#37 1 year ago

Let's get an alt TX sector....or any Got Sys 80b titles

#38 1 year ago

With a new pinball company springing up every other month I'd rather fantasize about Jeremy drawing art for a new original theme.

I'm happy that he's been able to do work with Stern, but non licensed art is just so much more interesting.

#39 1 year ago

Yeah this is completely up to Yeti obviously and just an idea he thought was cool. I'm just making this thread to show that yes, people want to see this become a reality. Also not entirely sure on this, but I think Stern works with Yeti on a contract basis. It's similar to that of Dirty Donny.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah this is completely up to Yeti obviously and just an idea he thought was cool. I'm just making this thread to show that yes, people want to see this become a reality. Also not entirely sure on this, but I think Stern works with Yeti on a contract basis. It's similar to that of Dirty Donny.

Yes but I'm sure Jeremy wants to preserve that relationship (could be wrong). I really don't see why Stern would really care but it's something he'd want to mention to them for sure

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Yes but I'm sure Jeremy wants to preserve that relationship (could be wrong). I really don't see why Stern would really care but it's something he'd want to mention to them for sure

This is a company that blocked contractors who worked on other company's games from going on their factory tour, don't put anything beyond their ability to be jealous and petty.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is a company that blocked contractors who worked on other company's games from going on their factory tour, don't put anything beyond their ability to be jealous and petty.

And blocked a pinball news outlet from their party, and block FB members for the smallest of questions they felt slighted them. Yeah you're right. This will never happen.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

And blocked a pinball news outlet from their party

Haha how could I forget the most petty example? The way they treated Martin was just shameful.

They cut ties with David Thiel because he took work from a rival too. So yeah ...

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Haha how could I forget the most petty example? The way they treated Martin was just shameful.
    They cut ties with David Thiel because he took work from a rival too. So yeah ...

A good thing too or else Dialed In wouldn't sound so great. A shame about the whole Aliens game but even then, that game sounds incredible too. Yeah who knows what Stern would say. Personally I think Gary saved pinball and all that but should have retired 5 or so years ago. A new vision for the company and pinball in general I feel.

1 week later
    #45 1 year ago

I would LOVE to see (and buy) a "sexy" BSD translite. Dracula was a lady's man, and it would be so nice to have a visually appealing image on the machine. I know it's a dark themed game, but still. The pugstoys alternate doesn't do much for me and isn't a lot better than the original IMHO. Pinball and sexy go together, BSD is a cool game, and there's gotta be a creative someone out there that can make it happen!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.50
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 109.99
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside