Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jasonp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a chance to buy a Bally Gator 1969 with Zipper Flippers. I'm concerned about the Zipper Flippers. Any feedback- good or bad on those? I'm a newbie.

#2 5 years ago

I don't think you can really compare them to anything else. It's a very unique way to play, with its own skills. Do you like other 2" flipper games? If not I doubt you'll like these either, but I find zippers more skillful than other 2" games

#3 5 years ago

I have a pair on my Medusa. It takes a little time to get used to them. It is okay on a small upper playfield like Medusa, but I doubt they will be very powerful on a larger playfield. Plus the 2" size does not help much......

Yves

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

I have a pair on my Medusa. It takes a little time to get used to them. It is okay on a small upper playfield like Medusa, but I doubt they will be very powerful on a larger playfield. Plus the 2" size does not help much......
Yves

Properly rebuilt they should have no issue getting the ball to the top of the playfield. Any older game like this isn't going to play as fast as an SS though.

#5 5 years ago

They are very rare and found only on a few games. Are your concerns reliability or playability? Personally I do not like them but I dislike small flipper games in general.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from steveod:

I have a chance to buy a Bally Gator 1969 with Zipper Flippers. I'm concerned about the Zipper Flippers. Any feedback- good or bad on those? I'm a newbie.

Overall, I like zipper flippers. My personal favorite is Four Million B.C.

That said, I've *heard* (but personally cannot confirm) that Gator plays inferior due to the zippers than the layout does without. Gator is a reused layout. The game was first Sheba (a 2-player in 1965) and then Campus Queen (a 4-player in 1966). Neither of those iterations use the zipper flippers. I've played Campus Queen, and it's an interesting game.

Anyway, some say the zipper mechs don't play the same (more give or something when open?) and the layout suffers for it. No idea if it's a big deal or not since I have no first-hand comparison knowledge.

#7 5 years ago

I like Zipper-Flipper games and EM's there is certainly a different skill set to playing them.

I hadn't had a #gator yet but all the EM's I have now are Zipper Flipper games.

I am assuming a project machine non-working when looking at that one if everything is there will make a great first pin IMHO.

Best of luck & welcome to Pinside

#8 5 years ago

I have one machine, Surfers, with zipper flippers and absolutely love them. Nice change of pace and strategy in my collection. At first, I thought Surfers would be a short term game, but I can’t see ever getting ride of it from my collection. Get Gator, try it, and keep/sell depending on your tastes. There is always a market for zipper flippers games.

5 months later
#9 5 years ago

I like Zipper Flippers and I cannot Lie....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zipper-flippers-1?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.