5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by homebrood
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0921.JPG
    surfersprogress 026.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG

#1 5 years ago

What exactly are zipper flippers?

#2 5 years ago

http://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php#Flipper-Zipper
    "Flipper-Zipper —
    This is the correct term that Bally gave the feature that is popularly called Zipper Flippers. Their first game to have it is Bally's 1966 'Bazaar'.
    It is a trademarked feature found on some of their games that (temporarily) closed (or "zipped" up) the gap between the lowest flippers when certain game goals were accomplished, such as lighting up a series of targets, thereby preventing the ball in play from draining down the center drain. Bally parts catalogs refered to this feature as the Flipper-Zipper Assembly.

Bally used the term on its flyers, starting with their second game to have this feature, Bally's 1966 'Capersville', and they almost always hyphenated it. Bally finally referred to it as 'Zipper Flippers' on the flyer for their last game to have this feature, Bally's 1981 'Medusa', which is also their only Solid State game to have this feature, and their only game where these flippers were not placed at the bottom of the playfield.

Used on four Williams EM games, where it was known as "Closing Flipper Action".

Also used on a few games made in Europe."

#3 5 years ago

Find a Nip It to play. One of my fav Zipper Flipper games.

--Jeff

#4 5 years ago

This shows 'em in action;

#5 5 years ago

4 Million BC uses zipper flippers and is quite an interesting game from 1970.IMG_3220.JPGIMG_2570.JPG

A close up of the zipper flippers on 4 Million BC and a overall shot of the 4 Million BC

#6 5 years ago

Zipper flippers are cool. I wish they would make a comeback in newer tables.

#7 5 years ago

I would venture a guess that Bally went away from the zipper flippers, and to the pop up post instead, because the zipper flippers were a much more complex mechanism than the pop up post.

Meaning, cost.

#8 5 years ago

Yeah, I would think they would be a bear to maintain.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cruzin1a:

Yeah I would think they were a bear to maintain.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the karma gods, not as bad as you might think. I've had a game with them for 42 years and they've been pretty reliable (furiously knocking on wood, crossing fingers, etc).

Bally games of that vintage were very strongly built. Once you dial them in, they are very reliable. Gottliebs get the love, but over the years, I've found them much more finicky, and at times more difficult to maintain, than Williams or Bally.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Find a Nip It to play. One of my fav Zipper Flipper games.
    --Jeff

That was the first pin I ever owned. I love the artwork. Its still to this day one of my favs!

#11 5 years ago

Conceptually I like the idea of zipper flippers, certainly my guests enjoyed playing a pin that had them but I find them nearly impossible to aim with. I am reduced to playing like a total amateur, just trying to keep the ball in play without aiming.

Between the flippers being sloppier (just more moving parts so the flippers are not as ridged), the flippers are the smaller rounder early flippers(which I am awful with), and the angle of the flipper changes when the close all lead me to enjoy playing a game or two on a zipper flipper pin, but that is it. I don't think I would ever own one for the long term, they just come and go out of my collection once I burn out on the game.

#12 5 years ago

So there wasn't any extra kind of button to close them, but it was a reward from something on the playfield? There's a Rocket III around here that's been sitting for some time, but I can't decide if I'm interested....

#13 5 years ago

Zipper flippers! Lovem! Don't think they are really tough to maintain (not any tougher than the rest of the stuff on my EM), and they look great! Better than a "post" going up and down between your flippers and they really change your shots by the different angles....fun challenge. Here's my kid playing Dixieland.

#14 5 years ago

bump

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Polonius:

So there wasn't any extra kind of button to close them, but it was a reward from something on the playfield? There's a Rocket III around here that's been sitting for some time, but I can't decide if I'm interested....

For instance on the 4 Million BC there are two targets one closes the zipper flippers and the other opens the zipper flippers.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Polonius:

on this particular unit, the red mushroom bumper (by where it says "flips in") will close them up and there are 2 simalar yellow bumpers below that will open them up

surfersprogress 026.JPG

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Conceptually I like the idea of zipper flippers, certainly my guests enjoyed playing a pin that had them but I find them nearly impossible to aim with. I am reduced to playing like a total amateur, just trying to keep the ball in play without aiming.
    Between the flippers being sloppier (just more moving parts so the flippers are not as ridged), the flippers are the smaller rounder early flippers(which I am awful with), and the angle of the flipper changes when the close all lead me to enjoy playing a game or two on a zipper flipper pin, but that is it. I don't think I would ever own one for the long term, they just come and go out of my collection once I burn out on the game.

Interesting, you claim the zipper flippers make you play like an amateur, then say you're awful with two inch flippers.

Maybe it's not the zipper flippers causing your issue. Being able to catch and trap and aim with two inch flippers and no inlanes kind of separates the wheat from the chaff.

#18 5 years ago

Bally's Medusa have the zipper flippers (only SS game to have them) and it basically divides the playfield into two. The zippers are 2/3rd the way towards the top of the playfield and allow you to bang on the drop targets and outkick hole. One would think it's best to keep the ball up there as long as possible as you can't drain the ball but you need to play the bottom of the playfield as well or you miss out on scoring! Really neat concept on this game!

IMG_0921.JPG
    #19 5 years ago

I was really hoping WOZ would have zipper flippers then they could have advertised the game and it would have been a fun play on words... Ruby Slipper Zipper Flippers! C'mon, it's fun to say even!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 18.95
    $ 103.00
    $ 129.00
    Lighting - Led
    LED OCD
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside