1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Geofflove
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zipper flipper 2 (resized).JPG
    zipper flipper 1 (resized).JPG
    41C4DA45-8212-4041-A515-92A79D7E88E4 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I need some information about the switches on a Bally nip it zipper flipper - pictured.

There are three switches, 2 normally closed and one normally open which are activated when the flippers close. I need to know what they do as I can only find one in the schematic. No doubt it’s there I just can’t see it!

I know one of the normally closed switches opens to kill the close relay when the zipper activates. I don’t know what the others are meant to do.

Currently the normally open one activates the release catch as soon as it closes. The means when the zipper closes it immediately opens again. I don’t know if this is a short or if something else is meant to prevent this but as it stands it doesn’t seem logical.

Any info? Thanks

41C4DA45-8212-4041-A515-92A79D7E88E4 (resized).jpeg41C4DA45-8212-4041-A515-92A79D7E88E4 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

I'll take a stab at it. I don't know which game that is, but I'm going to assume it's a Bally since it looks different than the (one) Williams zipper flipper assembly I've seen. So here are a couple snippets from the "Nip It" schematic. You can see there are 3 EOS switches that I assume are the 3 that you're looking at - 2 NC and 1 NO which is what your picture shows. I'd guess that your machine is similar.

zipper flipper 1 (resized).JPGzipper flipper 1 (resized).JPGzipper flipper 2 (resized).JPGzipper flipper 2 (resized).JPG

So it looks like in the top snippet, the NC EOS switch allows the "Close Flipper Sol" to be energized when a switch on the "Mushroom Bumper Relay" (M-B RE.) is closed, closing the flippers, which then opens that NC switch and cuts power to the M-B solenoid. The flipper must mechanically latch in the closed position.

In the bottom snippet, the other NC EOS switch on the right is part of the lock-in circuit for the "Mushroom Bumper Relay". That NC EOS switch keeps the "M-B Re." energized until the flippers are completely closed, at which point it opens and cuts power to the mushroom bumper relay.

In the bottom snippet, the NO EOS switch on the left side closes when the flippers are closed, and allows the "Open Flipper Relay" to be powered when any of the switches above it close.

#3 1 year ago

That’s helpful thanks. I hadn’t found the NO switch on the schematic. And yes it’s a Nip It.
    So one of the 5 switches far left must be stuck closed when they shouldn’t be. Time to get searching. Cheers

ACTUALLY…. I suspect I’ve already solved it without knowing. This morning I was trying to find out why the ball count wasn’t advancing. Not solved it yet but on the way I found the ball index relay wasn’t operating. I’ve sorted that so suspect that’s what was tripping the close relay. I’ll go check now….

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zipper-flipper-info-needed?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.