Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rikoshay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 3 years ago

1977 Evel Knievel game. Zero digit out on #3 player. Installed new Pinscore display and zero is still out. Does anyone know which pin powers the zero?

#2 3 years ago

Move the display to player 4. If the problem moves with that display, then separate the 2 boards, mate them back together, reinstall the display and retest.

Sometimes it is just a bad connection between the pair of display boards.

#3 3 years ago

Download the schematic here from from IPDB. https://www.ipdb.org/files/4499/Bally_1977_Evel_Knievel_Manual.pdf

#4 3 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #5 3 years ago

I swapped #3 with #4 and now no displays are lighting at all. Starting at ground zero.

#6 3 years ago

Unplug 3 and 4. Any of the others return to working?

#7 3 years ago

1. are you running a mix of gas and LED displays?

2. have you checked voltages at test points?

3. to start from scratch just have one display in P1 slot and the other in the credit/ball in play slot.
    go into book keeping mode via internal red button front door switch and advance to display test, having done this what are the results?

#8 3 years ago

I am now running all LED's. All of my boards are Alltek except for the Lamp Driver board. Following Alltek troubleshooting I have found that TP2 on the Solenoid Driver Board I have 246 VDC when I should have 180VDC. All of the displays have 240+ VDC at pin 1. Could the displays be in a shutdown/protection mode due to the high voltage. The t/s said I should be reading 180 VDC at pin 1.
    I had been running the LED's in position 1 & 2. When the zero digit on position 3 started only working some of the time I decided to replace the remaining 3 displays with LED's. When first turning on after replacing all three the zero was still out on position 3. That's why I thought a connector problem. After switching 3 and 4 and powering back on all displays are blank.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

After switching 3 and 4 and powering back on all displays are blank.

And after removing the connectors from these 2, what are the state of the other 3?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

Alltek troubleshooting I have found that TP2 on the Solenoid Driver Board I have 246 VDC when I should have 180VDC. All of the displays have 240+ VDC at pin 1. Could the displays be in a shutdown/protection mode due to the high voltage. The t/s said I should be reading 180 VDC at pin 1.

LED displays do not use high voltage so that fuse on the power driver board can be removed, after power is turned off.

#11 3 years ago

your LED displays don't require the high voltage as needed by the original gas displays.

you can safely remove fuse F2 on the rectifier board, above the transformer, this is the fuse for high voltage for the gas displays, also as mentioned you can remove the fuse on the solenoid driver board, depending which solenoid driver board you have installed. Early solenoid driver boards didn't have the smaller fuse installed in high voltage section. But removed with the power off, and I personally unplug the pin.

By your readings on the solenoid driver board it sounds like the regulation section has failed anyway, possibly due to a 2N3440.

#12 3 years ago

I disconnected each display one at a time with no changes. I removed the F2 fuse on the rectifier board but left the fuse in on the solenoid board which now reads 3+ VDC at TP2. I've never messed with the bookkeeping mode but followed the instructions and no displays lit up.

#13 3 years ago

Is the game booting up with 7 flashes on the LED mounted on the MPU and the game is going in attract mode?

#14 3 years ago

once the mpu boot up sequence is confirmed, and I read you had some sort positive result from the Pinscore score displays, but have you checked the Pinscore display brightness potentiometer? the adjustable black dial at the front of the display to the right hand side of the zeros digit.

#15 3 years ago

Yes I get the 7 flashes. What is the attract mode?
    When I initially installed the 3 new displays I adjusted the brightness to match the 2 older ones that I installed over a year ago.

#16 3 years ago

after your game boots, completes the LED flicker followed by 7 flashes then remains dim, the machine will go into 'attract mode', where switched lights alternate and the scores switch from the last score shown to the high score to date, it will also energise the chime coils, playing a tune.

#17 3 years ago

The game does all that except for anything that would display on the score displays.

#18 3 years ago

is there a 5VDC test point the score displays?

#19 3 years ago

No there's not. But I can read voltage from the back of the connector. That's how I did it on pin 1.

#20 3 years ago

whilst booting up do you notice any flicker of colour on any of the displays?

you must have a good 5 volts at the solenoid driver or your game wouldn't boot, so that's good.

also have you done the modifications for the solenoid driver?

#21 3 years ago

gotta eat some food, will be back

#22 3 years ago

On the LED's no. When I reinstalled the 3 old displays that I am replacing to see if they still worked I could see a dim orange like glow inside when the game was booting up but that went away when the game finished booting and they were blank just like the LED's. 2 of the three I am replacing worked perfect but I decided that since I already had 2 LED's I would just make them all the same.
    The Solenoid Driver board is an Alltek that is as installed when new.

#23 3 years ago

yes of course, sorry, you did mention all new except for lamp driver.

so have you tried one LED display in P1 and one LED display in credit/ball in play only? Or even just one display in P1?

I only ask this as i have seen where when all LED displays installed the mpu would reboot, as an LED display was faulty dragging down the 5V.

#24 3 years ago

Just tried only pos 1 installed and then pos 1 and credit/ball and still no luck.

#25 3 years ago

Pin 20 on the edge connector is the 5V input to the displays
    Pin 13 is Ground

#26 3 years ago

I checked for the 5 V at pin 20 and didn't have it using pin 13 as ground. I checked pin 13 to ground and that is good.

#27 3 years ago

that's a problem right there.

with no displays connected, check for continuity from connector display pin 20 to Solenoid driver board J3 pin 17, and the power off

#28 3 years ago

i forgot you had an altek solenoid driver board, the readings you mentioned in #8 point to the high voltage regulation has failed, so if you go back to using gas displays, well i wouldn't, that voltage will reduce the lifespan of the gas displays heaps.

i have seen this section of their board fail before

i think the altek solenoid driver board has a legend to the side screen printed, showing what is what.

try testing for the correct voltages, except you won't have the high voltage input due to fuse 2 being removed

#29 3 years ago

I checked from pin 20 to J3 pin 17 and it is open. I wondered about that high voltage.

#30 3 years ago

All of the voltages on the Solenoid Driver board are correct except like you said the high voltages.

#31 3 years ago

Based on what I've found I think the next step is to contact Alltek.

#32 3 years ago

With power off, can you reseat the top left MPU connector? Any change?

#33 3 years ago

Didn't change anything.

#34 3 years ago

I rechecked for continuity between pin 20 and J3 pin 17 and I do have continuity. I must have been n the wrong pin on J3. I measure 5VDC out of pin 17 at the connector but do not have 5VDC at pin 20. With continuity I should have voltage.

#35 3 years ago

Replaced the wire from pin 17 on J3 on the Solenoid Driver board to pin 20 on position 1 display and all displays work now.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

Replaced the wire from pin 17 on J3 on the Solenoid Driver board to pin 20 on position 1 display and all displays work now.

great to hear, well done!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zero-digit-on-display-out?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.