cftbl (resized).png
Good-Fellas-Hilarious (resized).jpg
IMG_0227 (resized).PNG
IMG_0228 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
1B5258A5-CA64-44A8-A136-0E67AB27EA9A (resized).jpeg
1C5F229B-CFFC-4634-8333-38175284C980.gif
A1C58467-1A7A-4CBB-B212-199587B60DD6 (resized).png

There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#2 5 years ago

Yes!!!!!
Finally these games will come out with good physics.

#3 5 years ago

Holy shit. Well that's interesting.

If Zen can get the physics right, this could be a good thing. Their other games are cool but sometimes it feels like I'm just wacking a pingpong ball around. Doesn't feel like the ball has weight. That was probably a few years ago, though.

Edit: And they need to turn off that horrible ball trail effect or I'm going to projectile vomit all over the place.

#4 5 years ago

They apparently thought they needed the WMS games to help sell their new vpins badly enough that they're spent enough money to swipe the rights.

They get to rebuild and relicense all the 3rd party content again. Huzzah? I wonder if they'll do kickstarters for licensed themes like Farsight did.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Yes!!!!!

I'd like to see better physics as well, like in High Speed, where the ball bounces a lot.

This is not good news for Mac owners, as they do not support OSX. TPA at lease gave lip service to supporting OSX. Oh well, it may be time to get a Nintendo Switch. My kids have been bugging me about it for months now.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

And they need to turn off that horrible ball trail effect or I'm going to projectile vomit all over the place.

There's an option in the settings to turn that off, as well as things like the pop up scoring numbers.

They made a comment that they will have a new physics model, one for the Williams/Bally games and one for their original designs.

I hope they get a PSVR version out soon.

edit: watched a video, the balls still seem very floaty =\

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I'd like to see better physics as well, like in High Speed, where the ball bounces a lot.
This is not good news for Mac owners, as they do not support OSX. TPA at lease gave lip service to supporting OSX. Oh well, it may be time to get a Nintendo Switch. My kids have been bugging me about it for months now.

Zen Pinball 2 should work on your Mac although the Switch is my go-to now for pinball.

#8 5 years ago

Having already bought the WMS games on multiple platforms, I will only buy titles which were not released by TPA.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Zen Pinball 2 should work on your Mac although the Switch is my go-to now for pinball.

That is good to know. I based my observation on what I found on their home page, I didn’t see OSX listed under their supported devices.

#10 5 years ago

I wondered if that was going to happen. And I dreaded it. I don't care for Zen Pinball's physics and cartoony scoring system. I figured they'd screw it up, but after seeing the video's, it actually looks good.

#11 5 years ago

Yes, videos look good. Also, Zen has better software engineers that are willing to spend energy in bringing the old tables back. TPA felt stale.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Yes!!!!!

+1. I never bought any of the TPA tables, because the 'physics' were so jarring and the flicker fest lighting was so bad.

If they get this right, I definitely will, even if it's just for learning rules and patterns.

#13 5 years ago

To me, the most awesome thing is this: PORTRAIT working!

If you have a Portrait monitor, Pinball FX3 (and 2) just works out of the box. You don't have to mess with mods to make portrait work properly.

So that's going to be great.

#14 5 years ago

I dont know exactly how I feel about this, I like some Zen Pinball but Pinball Arcade has always been my favorite. I felt Pinball Arcade has always been the most realistic playing of a machine

#15 5 years ago

I’m thinking SWITCH versions all the way....glad I was patient! And since ZEN is the king of fantasy tables maybe Williams will let them do some tweaked originals a la the Zaccaria recreations

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

I dont know exactly how I feel about this, I like some Zen Pinball but Pinball Arcade has always been my favorite. I felt Pinball Arcade has always been the most realistic playing of a machine

They are going to be using different physics for these games than the Zen originals. So what you don't like about Zen may not be a factor with these B/W games.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

Come on man.....Zsolt even invited us for a free pass to their Pinball sanctuary after a studio tour!! Give the tables a chance first

#18 5 years ago

It can't hurt to have multiple versions of the best games ever besides things made for free by hobbyists. Well, maybe it can hurt if Farsight's versions were better and aren't available to buy anymore, ha. I'm not a fan of Zen physics, but it looks like these are free to try on Steam? I'll give it a shot later on at least.

#19 5 years ago

This is great new possibly. Zen has the best graphics of about any game ive ever played. They do need to get the ball physics right though because right now they dont feel right. It feels like you are smacking a rock around the playfield. Farsight wasnt doing a good job with updates though and they just didnt see, to care anymore so im glad this is happening.

#20 5 years ago

The ball physics are everything...and theirs isn't very good :/

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

The ball physics are everything...and there's isn't very good :/

The ball physics could be improved. Around the flippers in particular, the ball can behave like a powerball.

But Zen's UI, Physics engine, and graphics engine are better than Farsight's. Their art scans and 3d models look sharp at 4k.
I'm happy for the change and for a fresh approach.

#22 5 years ago

You can check out the new physics for yourself in the beta that is now available. I can say they are much improved for being trying to replicate actual pins instead of just fantasy games. Haven't played enough to say how accurate they are yet.

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?28091-How-to-Access-the-Beta

-Mike

#23 5 years ago

Come on. TPA's engine runs like a cow. TPA's Ghostbusters' table runs like total crap, on a $4000 computer.

Zen will do much better, but they have to comply with the average CPUs though. More realistic physics require more CPU, which not everybody has / can afford.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

The ball physics could be improved. Around the flippers in particular, the ball can behave like a powerball.
I'm happy for the change and for a fresh approach.

That's it, thanks. Perfect. That's how the balls react. Like they are all Powerballs. Couldn't put my finger on it.

#25 5 years ago

Now’s the time on Sprockets when we dance.

A1C58467-1A7A-4CBB-B212-199587B60DD6 (resized).pngA1C58467-1A7A-4CBB-B212-199587B60DD6 (resized).png
1C5F229B-CFFC-4634-8333-38175284C980.gif1C5F229B-CFFC-4634-8333-38175284C980.gif

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Sliderpoint:

You can check out the new physics for yourself in the beta that is now available. I can say they are much improved for being trying to replicate actual pins instead of just fantasy games. Haven't played enough to say how accurate they are yet.
https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?28091-How-to-Access-the-Beta
-Mike

I tried it out too, and the physics feel pretty good.

Didn't notice any physics weirdness on MM. In TPA the entrance to the catapult saucer always felt strange, but it behaves more realistically in Zen.

The graphics are also much better, although my frame rate was topping out at 30...hopefully that's just a beta thing.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I wondered if that was going to happen. And I dreaded it. I don't care for Zen Pinball's physics and cartoony scoring system. I figured they'd screw it up, but after seeing the video's, it actually looks good.

This is what I was going to post. I hope they have worked a LOT on their physics engine. I wonder how much VPX code has been incorporated at this point

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is what I was going to post. I hope they have worked a LOT on their physics engine. I wonder how much VPX code has been incorporated at this point

Should probably be zero, I'd think.

#29 5 years ago

I wonder bow long it will take for them to reproduce these tables? Farsight said they had to physically take apart every piece on the games and 3D render them etc and then do the code. It sounds like a huge undertaking to reproduce one of these games. I wonder if Zen has a different way of doing it?

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I wonder bow long it will take for them to reproduce these tables? Farsight said they had to physically take apart every piece on the games and 3D render them etc and then do the code. It sounds like a huge undertaking to reproduce one of these games. I wonder if Zen has a different way of doing it?

And will it take them forever to fix bugs like farsight... there are still lots of issues w/ their (farsight) Williams/Bally games that will probably not get addressed. I hope they can release in a consistent manor too. I never cared for zen’s games, but maybe now that they’re working with & on real machines their other games will improve...

#31 5 years ago

I’m hoping that they can figure out a way to bring more realistic lighting effects to mobile. I know the hardware isn’t there for it, but there must be some software tricks.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Aphex:

And will it take them forever to fix bugs like farsight... there are still lots of issues w/ their (farsight) Williams/Bally games that will probably not get addressed. I hope they can release in a consistent manor too. I never cared for zen’s games, but maybe now that they’re working with & on real machines their other games will improve...

Im not worried at all about Zen fixing bugs that need to be fixed and the graphics are going to be amazing. Zen is a good company and they dont put out shitty products. The only concern i have is how long will it take for them to pump out the tables. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised. I actually love the Zen FX3 tables, they are very well done and they look gorgeous.

#33 5 years ago

Great news and a possibility they may appear on PSVR. If so, I'll buy the lot. A great time to be a digital pinballer right now.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Should probably be zero, I'd think.

Yep, -should- be.

#35 5 years ago

I just hope the Williams tables are “pinball simulations” with the original gameplay and physics and NOT a “pinball video game”. I played their Star Wars tables with the storm troopers doing the Macarena and little tie fighters zipping around, and they are fun but not the same thing.

PBA had its share of problems but they got a lot right.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I just hope the Williams tables are “pinball simulations” with the original gameplay and physics and NOT a “pinball video game”. I played their Star Wars tables with the storm troopers doing the Macarena and little tie fighters zipping around, and they are fun but not the same thing.

I dont think Williams would allow anything except simulation tables so id say we are safe there.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

fun but not the same thing.

It will never be the same thing. It's still fun though.

(but it must be played with a Portrait monitor. If you haven't tried, do yourself a favor and try it)

#38 5 years ago

Also, I'd hate to say it, but I'd almost say Farsights days are numbered. As much as I've loved Pinball Arcade, I think this will be a big blow to them.

My prediction. They'll be around for a while longer, but if Zen Pinball gains a lot more traction now that they have actual tables, I wouldn't doubt that they may buy Pinball Arcade and their current licenses.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

original gameplay and physics and NOT a “pinball video game”.

Don't kid yourself. No matter how hard they try to get the computed 'physics' to be like real life, it will always be a pinball video game.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Also, I'd hate to say it, but I'd almost say Farsights days are numbered. As much as I've loved Pinball Arcade, I think this will be a big blow to them.
My prediction. They'll be around for a while longer, but if Zen Pinball gains a lot more traction now that they have actual tables, I wouldn't doubt that they may buy Pinball Arcade and their current licenses.

Ya I wonder what this means for the Stern pinball arcade? Will farsight still be working on that.. its not seen an update for a long while

#41 5 years ago

Not available yet on my Xbox One. Is it a Euro thing?

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

Ya I wonder what this means for the Stern pinball arcade? Will farsight still be working on that.. its not seen an update for a long while

I figured Stern Pinball Arcade was already dead. They've already migrated the Stern tables over to Pinball Arcade. And Big Buck Hunter will be coming soon.

Was kind of a lame gimmick. They couldn't even stick with it long enough to make it a thing.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Not available yet on my Xbox One. Is it a Euro thing?

It's a Steam thing.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DragonPin:

If the other Stern tables they make are going to suck as bad as the Ghostbusters table that they made I definitely wont be buying them. Ghostbusters is horrible, not sure what they did wrong there but its not right at all.

#45 5 years ago

I tried to play the beta on Steam. I have no idea how to start a game. I pressed every key on the damn keyboard. It just kept panning around the table. Can anyone give me a clue?

#46 5 years ago

I'm personally looking forward to Big Buck Hunter on TPA.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

I tried to play the beta on Steam. I have no idea how to start a game. I pressed every key on the damn keyboard. It just kept panning around the table. Can anyone give me a clue?

Enter/Return started games for me.

#48 5 years ago

Shouldn't this be in the hobbies without flippers or video game sub-forum?

#49 5 years ago

Played a little bit of Fishtails. The table looks good. But the ball physics just aren't quite there. To me, the ball movement feels like the ball is a little heavier and the table is set to a little more steeper incline.

Just seems like some hard hits the ball goes up really fast, stops then comes right back down. Kinda like playing the backbox part of Banzai. Except that it's not THAT bad.

But the good thing is, they've removed ball trails and the scores from popping up for every switch. Bad news is, that after every game, they take you back to their menu to show you how much XP you've gained in the Zen Pinball game, then show you a high score list, then will ask you if you want to play again.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from radium:

did you even read the blog post? they are going for faithful recreations of the tables. their original designs are a completely different thing.

Quoted from woody24:

Played a little bit of Fishtails. The table looks good. But the ball physics just aren't quite there. To me, the ball movement feels like the ball is a little heavier and the table is set to a little more steeper incline.
Just seems like some hard hits the ball goes up really fast, stops then comes right back down. Kinda like playing the backbox part of Banzai. Except that it's not THAT bad.
But the good thing is, they've removed ball trails and the scores from popping up for every switch. Bad news is, that after every game, they take you back to their menu to show you how much XP you've gained in the Zen Pinball game, then show you a high score list, then will ask you if you want to play again.

agree on the feel of the ball. but i'm sure they will get it dialed in with some time and testing.

the ball trails and scores on the playfield can be turned on if you so choose. not sure who would want those on but at least the option is there.

i'm hoping they will include some sort of 'virtual arcade' room where you can move from machine to machine instead of being kicked out to the normal menu system.

its a beta. things will change. give them feedback on their own site!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 20.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Trade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
There are 290 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zen-studios-aquires-right-to-bally-williams-games-for-digital-release?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.