Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

If you have n iPad, you have to download Epic Quest from Zen pinball. Awesome table gameplay, rule set, animation and eyecandy. I was a firm believer that virtual tables did not feel like real pinball. This table proved me wrong. Awesome ball control, shots and realistic gamplay. This tables gets an A plus.

My high score is 9 milion

#2 12 years ago

It's amazing right.... Love it.

#3 12 years ago

33 million.. level 7. I like the new Paranormal table as well. I'm all for any table with an upside-down flipper where the apron would normally be.

#4 12 years ago

Amazing. Also get pinball arcade to play some classic games on your iPad.

#5 12 years ago

Cool...thanks for the tip!

#6 12 years ago

Is it just for iPad, or also iPhone? I had a lot of fun with Zen's El Dorado on the PS3. It took me months to get to the wizard mode, but once I did, I think it got me in the top 15 score-wise back then. Zen tables have felt less 'real' to me than some other emulation, but they're still fun in their own way.

Probably the craziest Zen table I've played was the Ninja Gaiden table. Would be pretty hard to make a real table with holographics and/or have a ninja cut the ball in half...

#7 12 years ago

Why iPad? Get it for your PS3 or X360. Touch screen controls for pinball are awful.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Why iPad? Get it for your PS3 or X360. Touch screen controls for pinball are awful.

Actually touch screen controls for pinball are dead on for the iPad. You are working 2 flippers...that's it....how are they awful?? That's just a silly statement.

#9 12 years ago

I got it for ps3, it's a great game. I think I'm up to lvl 13, point values increase as you level up, but I didn't take note of my high scores.

The physics are very nice, better than earlier zen titles in my opinion, but the ball tends to do this rediculous backspin thing on all zen titles. Marvel is the best at handling this, I would say the original 4 titles, El Dorado, Shaman, Tesla, and V12 are terrible at this backspin issue.

In the grand scheme, the game plays great and they'll keep getting my money from the looks of things, I'm sure that will help on any physics issues with more going to r&d or new tables... I got Excalibur at the same time as Epic Quest. Talk about a difficult machine!!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

chocky909 said:Why iPad? Get it for your PS3 or X360. Touch screen controls for pinball are awful.
    Actually touch screen controls for pinball are dead on for the iPad. You are working 2 flippers...that's it....how are they awful?? That's just a silly statement.

Not silly, my opinion. I'm referring to the physical problems of touch screen gaming for things like pinball, not the responsiveness of the controls. I've played many pinball simulations on iPhone, Android, PC, Dreamcast, PS3, X360 and others and I've always felt that the touchscreen games are lacking that connection that dedicated buttons have. For a start you need both hands for flippers obviously but you also need to hold the phone or tablet without touching anything you don't want to. A touch screen just isn't the right format for many types of games. They should be used for touch screen type games like Fruit Ninja and the like where you hold the phone with one hand and use your other hand's finger to play. There's also the issue of obscuring the view of the screen with your hands. Also, just touching the screen is not the same as knowing you've pressed a button and holding your finger the right distance away is an added annoyance being too easy to accidentally touch the screen or being further away than you thought. Buttons are great because you can rest gently on them without activating them and be able to depend on them unlike capacitive screens which you cannot. It's also a lot harder to nudge a table using the top half of the screen or shaking the whole screen rather than just using the left thumbstick. Besides, it's much better playing on a big screen at the highest resolution on the sofa anyway. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of playing these games portably every now and then but I'd rather use a 3DS or PSVita any day of the week.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I'm referring to the physical problems of touch screen gaming for things like pinball,

let's not forget unregistered touches. like when you touch the border on the ipad, thinking you were flipping, and nothing happens. This occurs more to me in portrait mode. I love Epic Quest!

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blakesell:

I got it for ps3, it's a great game. I think I'm up to lvl 13, point values
    The physics are very nice, better than earlier zen titles in my opinion, but the ball tends to do this rediculous backspin thing on all zen titles. Marvel is the best at handling this, I would say the original 4 titles, El Dorado, Shaman, Tesla, and V12 are terrible at this backspin issue.

That's probably the biggest "Zen"-specific thing. Though I have noticed TS do very similar things with combos/shadow loops!

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

Pinballerchef said:chocky909 said:Why iPad? Get it for your PS3 or X360. Touch screen controls for pinball are awful.

Not silly, my opinion. I'm referring to the physical problems of touch screen gaming for things like pinball, not the responsiveness of the controls. I've played many pinball simulations on iPhone, Android, PC, Dreamcast, PS3, X360 and others and I've always felt that the touchscreen games are lacking that connection that dedicated buttons have. For a start you need both hands for flippers obviously but you also need to hold the phone or tablet without touching anything you don't want to. A touch screen just isn't the right format for many types of games. They should be used for touch screen type games like Fruit Ninja and the like where you hold the phone with one hand and use your other hand's finger to play. There's also the issue of obscuring the view of the screen with your hands. Also, just touching the screen is not the same as knowing you've pressed a button and holding your finger the right distance away is an added annoyance being too easy to accidentally touch the screen or being further away than you thought. Buttons are great because you can rest gently on them without activating them and be able to depend on them unlike capacitive screens which you cannot. It's also a lot harder to nudge a table using the top half of the screen or shaking the whole screen rather than just using the left thumbstick. Besides, it's much better playing on a big screen at the highest resolution on the sofa anyway. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of playing these games portably every now and then but I'd rather use a 3DS or PSVita any day of the week.

Noted. But instead of comparing iPad to ps3 to a real table....how about just comparing the games that play on each said console. Obviously touch controls on an iPad are going to differ from actually button presses on a dpad to flipper buttons on the side of a machine. Games will always emulate differently on each platform....that's what makes them great. I like getting a different experience from them...seems to work well that way.

#14 12 years ago

Between the Zen Pinball tables and the FarSight Studio efforts (Pinball Arcade, Williams & Gottlieb collections, etc.), virtual flipping has never been better. Whether you play on your home console or digital device, the physics, graphics and gameplay are outstanding. Coming from a gamer that started back in the mid-70's with the Atari VCS's 'Video Pinball', these are some good times...

#15 12 years ago

I have to admit the thought of ZEN and PBA getting games on ipad is very nice. Will it make me want less real pins to save space and money? Maybe. I find all of Zen tables to be extremely fun and entertaining. PBA needs a little work IMO.

#16 12 years ago

I am seriously addicted to virtual pinball lately. HD pinball on the iphone is not a bad set of tables either, and there is a slayer pinball table....amazing.

#17 12 years ago

Epic quest is sooooooo freaking fun. Awesome rpg game + pinball = this table. Such a cool idea.

#18 12 years ago

I really have to get myself an iPad. I tried downloading Zen Pinball THD to my HTC EVO yesterday. Unfortunately, my hardware is not compatible with it.

#19 12 years ago

Really is a cool idea. I played the trial yesterday on XBL. I think I'll probably purchase it soon, seems like it has some legs.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

chocky909 said:Pinballerchef said:chocky909 said:Why iPad? Get it for your PS3 or X360. Touch screen controls for pinball are awful.
    Noted. But instead of comparing iPad to ps3 to a real table....how about just comparing the games that play on each said console. Obviously touch controls on an iPad are going to differ from actually button presses on a dpad to flipper buttons on the side of a machine. Games will always emulate differently on each platform....that's what makes them great. I like getting a different experience from them...seems to work well that way.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that if you do have multiple systems then I would recommend other versions over the touch screens. I was also just making sure people knew it actually was available on PS3 and X360 and that they are the lead platforms with the best physics, graphics and controls seeing as the OP didn't mention them.

#22 12 years ago

Moved to the All Pinball Sub Forum. Pinside Talk is for issues with the forum itself.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I really have to get myself an iPad. I tried downloading Zen Pinball THD to my HTC EVO yesterday. Unfortunately, my hardware is not compatible with it.

ya you need a tegra 2+ android device. Kinda sucks. I have a evo as well. Luckily I have zen on ps3 and xbox. It worked great on an ipad, but the screen was small.

Zen really needs to make a pinball controller for it. Custom ones can be pretty nice looking.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zen-pinball-epic-quest-for-ipad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.