• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jaywire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

RE: shooting the rapids gen 2

The machine has been working perfectly for 6 months, getting lots of play, until this week when it started to 'cut out' at random intervals.

The first thing I replaced was the molex and pins at CN5 (i think - not in front of me but its the two pin molex that goes from power board to driver board) as there seemed to be cold solder here. It didnt resolve the issue so I then proceeded to test voltages across the TP on the power board (after verifying transformer was good).

I've been using David gersics site to troubleshoot but am hoping someone may have experienced my troubles before or have an idea which components to start with.

I tested voltages at test points and got these. 'voltage' is the voltage it's supposed to be and 'tested' is what I got when I tested.

I got incorrect readings:
Test Point Voltage Tested
TP1: 170v 168v
TP2: 12v 5.8v
TP3: 5.6v 11.7v
TP4: 5v 5.6v
TP5: 39v -4.9v
TP6: -5v 37.4v

It's as if TP2 and TP3 are reversed, and TP5 and TP6 the same....? Maybe it's coincidence.

Could anyone offer some advice on where to start testing components on the board?

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Shooting the Rapids is a Gen 1 game.

1 golden rule in these Zaccaria games: replace all the fuseclips at the powerboard, also the fuseholders at the playfield and the bottom of the cabinet. The fuseholders tend to break. Replacing the fuseclips at the powerboard is a nasty job (drill new holes 1.5mm) as the replacements probably won't fit.

Also replacing the main cap buffering the 12V/5V isn't a bad idea. Same for replacing the rectifiers if other steps don't help. CPU board can be affected by leaking batteries too causing similar problems.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Marco

#3 7 years ago

Thanks Marco! I think then perhaps I've done the stupidest thing and compared voltages off the wrong gen sheet! Doh...

I have a feeling now the voltages will read good off the gen 1 sheet.

This leaves me with a random power cutout issue where gi stays on and everything else drops.

I'll replace fuse holders and clips and see where we go from there.

Many thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious to me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zccaria-gen-2-power-board-pointers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.