(Topic ID: 37518)

ZAPCON! Phoenix, AZ's own Classic Arcade & Pinball Extravaganza!

By toxicwes

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    ZAPCON1_s.jpg
    zaxxon_ZapCon_Copyright_Infringment.jpg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

After long, grueling search for an appropriate venue that was both available when we needed and not super expensive, we have succeeded! Sorry it took so long, but it wasn't for lack of effort.

ZAPCON will take place April 6-7 at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

So now it's time to put your money where your mouth is… I'll be hitting up everyone who previously gave an "unofficial" pledge to bring down games for an "official" pledge.

For those not in the loop, we need games to make the event successful. If you bring games you get in for free, and we promise to take good care of your property.

Our website, zapcon.com, should be up in the next couple weeks. We'll have more information there.

Yeah!

#2 11 years ago

If you want to participate by bringing down some (fully functional) games for the event, PM me with your name, phone number, email, and what arcade and/or pinball games you would like to bring.

#3 11 years ago

Looking forward to a new event in Phoenix....the last one was like 15 years ago, Dann Frank's Wild West pinball Festival.....Hope all goes well....If you need any help in the Marketing & Advertising areas let me know.

Stu
    CPR Art Director,
    Scottsdale, AZ

#5 11 years ago

Hells Bells. Good date for me to attend and a few others I know will come.

#6 11 years ago

I lived in Phoenix for 12 years from 1980 to 1992, and I've been meaning to get back for a visit. This might just be the impetus I need!

#7 11 years ago

Sounds great! Marking the calendar.

#8 11 years ago

AWESOME!!!, looking forward to this event

#9 11 years ago

I'm absolutely in as a vendor.

#10 11 years ago

Larry? What are you selling?

#11 11 years ago

What's the meaning behind the name Zapcon? Kinda sounds like a Trading Card Convention....just curious as to how the name corelates with Pinball?

#12 11 years ago

Greg: I'm selling tickets to your wedding.

#13 11 years ago

100% in. Will bring a pinball or two.

-ben

#14 11 years ago

what's a ZAP?

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

What's the meaning behind the name Zapcon? Kinda sounds like a Trading Card Convention....just curious as to how the name corelates with Pinball?

We tried coming up with a clever acronym, but nothing really worked out (we almost went with APEX, but turns out that's already taken by some AZ s&m group). When we say "Zap", it refers a common sound used in pins or arcade games. The sounds of a classic arcade are very nostalgia inducing. even just thinking about it makes me happy (my boss feels the same way). That and ZAPCON just has a nice ring to it.

#16 11 years ago

Please call me, Wes: 602/677-7611

#17 11 years ago

wow...never would have put a "zap" sound and Pinball in the same conversation.....Chimes & Dings yes, but "zap", sorry, just not getting it....Just so I'm not so confused as I am about it can you explaine which 'common sounds' on a pinball machine are making the Zap sound?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

wow...never would have put a "zap" sound and Pinball in the same conversation.....Chimes & Dings yes, but "zap", sorry, just not getting it....Just so I'm not so confused as I am about it can you explaine which 'common sounds' on a pinball machine are making the Zap sound?

There's a myriad of solid state sci-fi/space themed pins that "zap". In fact, many of the early williams pins used the same exact sounds as they did in their arcade games. For example, I hear a lot of Joust and Defender when I play Gorgar or Firepower. "zap" isn't pointing at 1 specific sound, it's a generalization.

#19 11 years ago

Zap also kind of stands for A(Z) (A)rcade and (P)inball, but even more importantly--- a classic arcade and pinball event in Phoenix! So excited about this!

#20 11 years ago

"Z"ona "A"rea "P"inball?
    Zona Area Pinball

#21 11 years ago

LOL....ZAP = Electrical Fire
    .........Electrical Fire + Pinball = BAD for Everyone!

----just sayin'

#22 11 years ago

2 words... Pinball. Rodeo.

#23 11 years ago

I agree with Stu, it should be called something iconic, I'm putting my vote in for KnockerCon, or to really uplevel it, Huge KnockerCon. I also like Bangback Expo. But alas, I'm not the organizer...

In all seriousness, Zapcon sounds awesome. Get Jersey Jack to show off WOZ and the Predator guy to show off Predator, and you'll have a hit!

-Wes

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I agree with Stu, it should be called something iconic, I'm putting my vote in for KnockerCon, or to really uplevel it, Huge KnockerCon. I also like Bangback Expo. But alas, I'm not the organizer...
    In all seriousness, Zapcon sounds awesome. Get Jersey Jack to show off WOZ and the Predator guy to show off Predator, and you'll have a hit!
    -Wes

Hey man, when is the next WESCON???

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

-Wes

I'm working on it!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

Hey man, when is the next WESCON???

Soon...ish

#27 11 years ago

I want a ticket to WESCON... sounds awesome.

#28 11 years ago

you have to buy the chocolate bar with the Winning Gold Ticket : )

Keep in mind that Wes is out of prison now so we are changing the title to WESexCON : )

See you Saturday Wes....

Quoted from Squeakman:

I want a ticket to WESCON... sounds awesome.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

Wes is out of prison now

Secret's out! See you there Stu!

#30 11 years ago

Any specific genre of arcade or pins your looking for? or anything and everything

#31 11 years ago

Wes, Just curious, Did you obtain Licensing from Sega to use their Zaxxon Logo or are you in Copyright Infringement with your new Zapcon Artwork?

zaxxon_ZapCon_Copyright_Infringment.jpgzaxxon_ZapCon_Copyright_Infringment.jpg

#32 11 years ago

Like I said on FB, it's an homage, and it was no secret. In fact it was pretty obvious. I'm not an expert in copyright law, but I think it's different enough that we don't have to worry.

I plan to honor a different game/pin ever year. I figure if CAX can get away with it...

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from CodyF:

Any specific genre of arcade or pins your looking for? or anything and everything

anything AND everything!

#34 11 years ago

Well, as a Professional Graphic Designer for the past 30 years, and having sued (and won) people for using my work, basterdising it, and calling it there own, I'm here to tell you that your in Copyright Infringement/Violation with the artwork you are using. You may think that you changed it enough, but you didnt, it's clearly the Zaxxon Logo. As a Designer myself, and dealing with these issues all day long I have to say publicly that I am very much against what you are doing if you decide to keep this Copied Artwork as your own. My Attorneys will agree that you are clearly in Copyright Violation.... I'm sorry to say that I can Not support your event, as much as I wanted to as I am also local, but what you are doing is Illegal and I just can't support that...

Stu

Quoted from toxicwes:

Like I said on FB, it's an homage, and it was no secret. In fact it was pretty obvious. I'm not an expert in copyright law, but I think it's different enough that we don't have to worry.
    I plan to honor a different game/pin ever year. I figure if CAX can get away with it...

#35 11 years ago

Stu to say u wanted to support the event seems wierd since you have been cutting it down from your first post... Take it easy...

#36 11 years ago

I'm excited for this show! It's about time Arizona started getting some more pinball events. Thanks for organizing this, Wes.

#37 11 years ago

oropuro: My "first" post was offering All of my Professional Services to wes for this show as "support", so get you facts straight before your lips move.

Quoted from oropuro:

Stu to say u wanted to support the event seems wierd since you have been cutting it down from your first post... Take it easy...

#38 11 years ago

Good luck with the show. Wish I lived closer .

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Stu:

My "first" post was offering All of my Professional Services to wes for this show as "support", so get you facts straight before your lips move.

Technically Stu, your first offering on the first thread I started regarding a Phoenix con was:

"...just doesnt look like it would work."

You have been a source of negativity from the get-go. In fact, I'm POSITIVE that if I were to change the logo you'd just find something else to complain about. incidentally I have a non-homage logo ready to go, so if you really don't have anything better to do than to use your time and resources to snitch on us, it won't slow us down any. If we get a cease and desist letter, I'll just swap it out. Frankly in the long run it would mean *less* work, as I wouldn't have to come up with a new homage every year.

We don't stand to make money on this endeavor. In all likelihood we're going to lose our shirts. This is a labor of love... love for pinball, love for arcade games, and love for the community that has formed around them. That's why it's so frustrating to have a member of that community do his best to sh*t on what we're trying to accomplish.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished, eh?

#40 11 years ago

toxicwes great work and effort! I would like to bring a pin or two and bring some of the playfield glass that I offer. Please keep me informed on the details to be a part of it. Thanks!

#41 11 years ago

SWEET! I am on board with a vendor booth/table. I will bring my Banzai Run, the Blackwater 100 I finally picked up today, Judge Dredd, Dragonette for the geezer crown, and my hurry up and get it back together already DEFENDER PINBALL. Maybe even my Time Fantasy but that one is so far gone at the moment that it will probably have to wait until next year. Plus whatever pins that I have for sale that are still available by the date of the show.

#42 11 years ago

For the anything and everything I will have to convince Topo to bring some of his skill games. He's got some fairly unique ones.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

SWEET! I am on board with a vendor booth/table. I will bring my Banzai Run, the Blackwater 100 I finally picked up today, Judge Dredd, Dragonette for the geezer crown, and my hurry up and get it back together already DEFENDER PINBALL. Maybe even my Time Fantasy but that one is so far gone at the moment that it will probably have to wait until next year. Plus whatever pins that I have for sale that are still available by the date of the show.

will the BLACKWATER be for sale?
    (you can let me know when you come to my house on Friday)

#44 11 years ago

Will there be a block of discount rooms available at the hotel?

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Will there be a block of discount rooms available at the hotel?

Yes there will! The Renaissance has offered Zapcon attendees a discounted rate of $160/night vs. their normal $299/night for that time of year. They have also cut their valet parking to $13/day down from $24/day. I believe overnight parking is extra, though.

#46 11 years ago

WHAT! Kris is calling me a geezer. WHOA. I am a geezer but Dragonette is still before my time.

#47 11 years ago

Hey you guys, I know Stu very well. He is a helpful guy that generously shares his 67 game collection. I think he over reacted a little but you have to understand that he is an artist and his ability to put a roof over his head and feed his family is only because of copyright laws. My general feeling on this is that if I use copyrighted material, if no one gives a shit then it;s OK. Although legally it is not OK.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

will the BLACKWATER be for sale?
    (you can let me know when you come to my house on Friday)

pinball get together Glen? I saw you got an I500.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from toxicwes:

discounted rate of $160/night vs. their normal $299/night for that time of year. They have also cut their valet parking to $13/day down from $24/day. I believe overnight parking is extra, though.

A pinball event in a $300/night hotel??!
    Even the $160~$175/w car seems like alot to me. (I guess I'm cheap)
    Good luck with the event, nice to see something closer to CO.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Even the $160~$175/w car seems like alot to me. (I guess I'm cheap)

That hotel is pretty nice, stayed there last year, they've recently renovated *almost* every room in that hotel. The hyatt next door and the westin just north of this hotel are nicer, but way more expensive. There *are* cheapo hotels nearby, for those on a budget.

-Wes

There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zapcon-phoenix-azs-own-classic-arcade-pinball-extravaganza and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.