(Topic ID: 117390)

ZAPCON April 18-19, 2015: Bigger and Better!

By toxicwes

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by desertT1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-261.jpg
    image.jpg
    Brandon2015.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-453.jpg
    image-280.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_8036.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-735.jpg
    image-310.jpg
    image-717.jpg
    image-720.jpg
    image-578.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

The 3rd annual ZAPCON is right around the corner! Are you ready?

If you haven’t heard yet, we outgrew the Renaissance and are now at the Mesa Convention Center. That means twice as much space, more power than we could ever use, FREE PARKING, a WAAAAAYYY better load-in/out situation and cheaper hotel accommodations at the neighboring Phoenix Marriott Mesa (make reservations prior to March 16th to get the ZapCon rate).

ZapCon needs YOU! for every working game you bring you get a weekend pass, a super-awesome exclusive personalized badge & lanyard, early access to the game room, and our eternal gratitude for being an important part of the AZ arcade/pinball community. If you have games but no way to get them to the show, there may be a couple of options. I will do my best to put you in touch with other folks that may have room on their truck, or that might be willing to split the cost of a rental 2-3 ways. Just PM me your actual name, email, phone number, and we’ll get to work on it.

We’re also looking for sponsors/advertisers and vendors. If you’d like to get your name or business in front of the AZ classic gaming community, this is great and affordable way to do it. PM me if you or someone you know is interested.

THIS YEAR'S HIGHLIGHTS (so far):

-Pinball Tournament! As always the AZ Pinball Players League will be hosting an IFPA pinball tournament. Format details will be available closer to the event.

-Pinball Rodeo! Danger Dann and his Pinball Rodeo will be returning, with a new wacky game or two to mix things up.

-Best of Show contest! Firebird Pinball will once again host a ‘best of show’ contest with prizes and trophies for best pinball machine and arcade game in a couple of categories, so bring your “A” games! More details to follow.

-Arcade competitions! Last year we didn’t organize any arcade competitions, but this year the folks at This Old Arcade are stepping up and hosting a Tetris competition and a couple of fighting game contests. Thanks Tim & Ricardo! Details to follow.

-NES Lounge! The Atari Lounge was such a hit that we’re also including a NES lounge this year!

Together we can make this an event to remember… and spread the word!

More info at ZAPCON.COM

#2 5 years ago

Nice to see Wes. Looking forward to it, don't forget to post dates in email above or title.

#3 5 years ago

haha.... Thanks Brent!

#4 5 years ago

Awese, Wes! Looking forward to another great year at Zapcon. I'll be bringing at least one game (Tron).

#5 5 years ago

I used to go to the Mesa Convention Center for Comic-Con before they moved it to Phoenix. It's a good site, plenty of parking, easy to get in and out of. Should be a lot less stressful finding parking for the contributors and patrons. Main street to the south has some restaurants and Mesa Riverview to the northwest on Dobson Rd. has a huge shopping and food district. I plan on bringing at least two games myself. For me, it's better than Christmas! Thanks Wes for bringing ZAPCON to Arizona three years in a row.

#6 5 years ago

Looking forward to the new venue! Im still pondering what to bring...

#8 5 years ago

We are probably bringing

ACDC premium
    Tron Pro (premiumed out!!!)
    X-men Pro

the rest depends on what sells between now and then
    Transformers Pro
    Terminator 3
    Dr Dude
    Funhouse
    Cyclone
    Hearts Spades Cocktail Pinball
    Centipede
    Mini Ms Pacman.

Spaseff also helped us build an awesome portable mini-jamma tester with a 5" CRT on it that we'll let people use for testing video game boards.

#9 5 years ago

Also for the awards we are going to need some judges.

We are going to due a peoples choice best of show for both pinball and video games, but will also do some judged categories such as best restored, best original, etc...

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Nate, you should bring EATPM!

That sounds like a good idea! Was considering bringing The Shadow also.

#11 5 years ago

Can't wait. Last year was a lot of fun and this year looks to have several improvements. Thanks to all who make this happen.

EDIT: Seminars and movies are still on the event list correct? Any preview of who is going to be presenting? Were these recoreded last year? The ones done at Expo were pretty cool to be able to see.

#12 5 years ago

YES!

I'll be bringing the Marvel Lineup!

Avengers LE (Will be for sale AT Zapcon, I think)
    XMEN LE
    Spiderman
    Ironman

Right now, the plan is to have all of them running with the latest Pinduino light mods too, if Prof_Pinball and I can get the time we need to finish them off...

-Wes (nontoxic)

#13 5 years ago

Congratulations, Wes. Was fun to see this come together for the first time on pinside and see it grow.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Can't wait. Last year was a lot of fun and this year looks to have several improvements. Thanks to all who make this happen.
    EDIT: Seminars and movies are still on the event list correct? Any preview of who is going to be presenting? Were these recoreded last year? The ones done at Expo were pretty cool to be able to see.

Due to little interest at previous shows and budget constraints, this year we aren't doing seminars or films. We're not above reviving them in the future, however, so let us know what you think and they may make a comeback next year!

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

We are probably bringing
    ACDC premium
    Tron Pro (premiumed out!!!)
    X-men Pro
    the rest depends on what sells between now and then
    Transformers Pro
    Terminator 3
    Dr dude
    Funhouse
    Cyclone
    Hearts Spades Cocktail Pinball
    Centipede
    Mini Ms Pacman.
    Spaseff also helped us build an awesome portable mini-jamma tester with a 5" CRT on it that we'll let people use for testing video game boards.

Where's the AMH? Tell Spooky to step it up. Haha. Maybe not a good idea you'd have a new game with probably over 1000 plays in 1 weekend.

#16 5 years ago

I will be bringing the ole' WPC games.

1. Whitewater
    2. Monster Bash
    3. TZ

#17 5 years ago

Yeah!

Only gripe is: lots of good machines in the tournament, but the non tournament players never got a chance to play them.

Looking forward to a weekend of Carpal Tunnel wrist pain, but its worth it...

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zappa:

Yeah!
    Only gripe is: lots of good machines in the tournament, but the non tournament players never got a chance to play them.
    Looking forward to a weekend of Carpal Tunnel wrist pain, but its worth it...

I just bought tickets to play the couple that I wanted to in the tourney lineup. Yes, it is a few bucks, but I probably spent an extra $6 for the fun.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from toxicwes:

Due to little interest at previous shows and budget constraints, this year we aren't doing seminars or films. We're not above reviving them in the future, however, so let us know what you think and they may make a comeback next year!

Understandable. Kris had a really good presentation on the tool list he uses at a minimum as well as maintenance advice. But, I can see where making the show the priority at a new venue is important.

Quoted from lyonsden:

I just bought tickets to play the couple that I wanted to in the tourney lineup. Yes, it is a few bucks, but I probably spent an extra $6 for the fun.

And you didn't even finish last for playing just a few machines. Not bad.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

Where's the AMH? Tell Spooky to step it up. Haha. Maybe not a good idea you'd have a new game with probably over 1000 plays in 1 weekend.

Was quoted a timeline of early March for delivery when I ordered in December, but there are currently 31 people in front of me that still need to have their game shipped so at 2-3 a week that's still 10-16 weeks out so likely not in time for Zapcon.

#21 5 years ago

Did you order the Premium, with the cool color-changing ghost, or did you settle for the Pro?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

Was quoted a timeline of early March for delivery when I ordered in December, but there are currently 31 people in front of me that still need to have their game shipped so at 2-3 a week that's still 10-16 weeks out so likely not in time for Zapcon.

That was going to be the machine I was going to play and go right back in line. Got to play it a few times in the basement, but not nearly enough to have a grasp for what I was doing.

#23 5 years ago

We need Pinside Convention Tags. Do these things exist already?

#24 5 years ago

Yeah, Pinsider "practicalsteve" distributed some nice ones at the Arcade Expo in Banning, CA last month. Plan to reuse mine at the next show, which will probably be Zapcon, I guess. See post #57 in that thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-expo-january-16-18-2015/page/2

#25 5 years ago

This year's game list is up: http://zapcon.com/games.php

I will continue to update it as we get more submissions.

#26 5 years ago

I am bringing my swords of fury for sure. Lionman! Thank you to the Zapcon organizers and funders for your hard work!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

Yeah, Pinsider "practicalsteve" distributed some nice ones at the Arcade Expo in Banning, CA last month. Plan to reuse mine at the next show, which will probably be Zapcon, I guess. See post #57 in that thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-expo-january-16-18-2015/page/2

That would be really cool. I know many of the AZ pinsiders, but not all of them.

#28 5 years ago

Trying to talk the owner of a Theatre of Magic (my wife) to bring it to Zapcon. I'm hopeful. . .

#29 5 years ago

ZapCon tickets and shirt pre-orders are now on sale! Come and get 'em! www.zapcon.com

#30 5 years ago

If you enjoy the social media, the facebook event page is now live: https://www.facebook.com/events/448011425356423/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

2 weeks later
    #31 5 years ago

Just made the pinside event page for ZapCon: https://pinside.com/pinball/events/zapcon-2015

#32 5 years ago

Just purchased my weekend pass and booked a room...
    Can't wait !!!!!

#33 5 years ago

Always love a pinball show, and this one sounds fun and unique. I'm thinking about coming, but I'm in Utah.

I have a few interesting pins I'd like to sell: Banzai Run and Cactus Canyon, among others. Is this a good venue? Do folks contribute their games and have them listed for sale during the show, or is there a separate trading event like some I've been to?

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from brundaged:

Always love a pinball show, and this one sounds fun and unique. I'm thinking about coming, but I'm in Utah.
    I have a few interesting pins I'd like to sell: Banzai Run and Cactus Canyon, among others. Is this a good venue? Do folks contribute their games and have them listed for sale during the show, or is there a separate trading event like some I've been to?

I can't speak to how they are running the show this year but I sold a game at last years Zapcon. The game needed to be set up and playing for the entire event and the new owner took posession at the end of the show. One of the best/smoothest transactions Ive had! There were quite a few with for sale signs on them last year.

#35 5 years ago

WARNING: You only have through Sunday the 15th to take advantage of the ZapCon promo room rate at the neighboring Phoenix Marriott Mesa. Call (480) 898-8300 and book your reservation now!

#36 5 years ago

Yeah ZappaCon! Er....ZapCon

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from brundaged:

Hell, I'm from Wyoming and I'm going...

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from brundaged:

Bring that cactus canyon I would love to play one, let alone see one.

#39 5 years ago
    #40 5 years ago

Good news! The Phoenix Marriott Mesa has extended the deadline for booking rooms with the ZapCon discount! You now have through Sunday March 22nd to call (480) 898-8300 and make your reservation.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Bring that Cactus Canyon I would love to play one, let alone see one.

Already sold locally, sorry.

#42 5 years ago

Pinball and arcade tournament information is up now. Start planning your ZapCon weekend! http://zapcon.com/schedule.php

#43 5 years ago

Don't forgot to submit the tourneys (both of them) to the IFPA Calendar! Today's last day.

#44 5 years ago

And when might the game lists be out for the tournaments?

#45 5 years ago

so what games are people bringing and whats for sale?

I will be bringing a teed' off and prob a world poker tour both will be for sale.

Anyone else bringing games to sell and looking for one of my games? maybe we could work out a trade?

I would bring dirty harry if one of the others sold before the show, prob not for sale.

#46 5 years ago

This is great and sounds like it's going to be an amazing show! Good luck with everything OP and I hope it ends up being bigger and better than you even think.

#47 5 years ago

Im bringing an EATPM, it wont be for sale though. I may be trolling for trades on my TZ, Firepower and F2K possibly, not bringing those however. Looking forward to how the Mesa spot is this year!

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Im bringing an EATPM, it wont be for sale though. I may be trolling for trades on my TZ, Firepower and F2K possibly, not bringing those however. Looking forward to how the Mesa spot is this year!

Thought you where bringing your Star Trek ?
    I would be interested in a nice / HUO Spiderman if anyone has one for sale.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

so what games are people bringing and whats for sale?

FINALLY, after years of trying to complete the collection, I will be bringing my heavily modded Stern Marvel Set.

Iron Man Pro (With Pinduino Lit Ramps)
    Spiderman
    XMEN LE (With Pinduino Lit Ramps)
    Avengers LE (Heavily Modded!)

And, I'll be helping bring a Tron and POSSIBLY a LOTR.

The Avengers will be For Sale, I haven't decided on a sale price yet but I would entertain trades (up or down, long list of wanted games) and it will be fairly priced.

Also, I will be looking to BUY a PC10, VS Red Tent, or Neo Geo MVS.

-Wes

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

FINALLY, after years of trying to complete the collection, I will be bringing my heavily modded Stern Marvel Set.

Iron Man Pro (With Pinduino Lit Ramps)
    spiderman
    XMEN LE (With Pinduino Lit Ramps)
    Avengers LE (Heavily Modded!)

And, I'll be helping bring a Tron and POSSIBLY a LOTR.

The Avengers will be For Sale, I haven't decided on a sale price yet but I would entertain trades (up or down, long list of wanted games) and it will be fairly priced.

Also, I will be looking to BUY a PC10, VS Red Tent, or Neo Geo MVS.

-Wes

sounds like you and Ben are have a full trailer! havent played either of your guys games in forever!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Magazines/books
    Just Pinball [SOLD OUT]
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 134.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Inc
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside