Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9479 (resized).JPG

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Perhaps jjp should hire richie to design some games with a better budget instead of the shit stern gives him.

#52 6 years ago

I love that stern is starting to build bench strength with new, young talent. Very smart move on their part to develop and groom the next generation of pinball business and creative leaders.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ranhorton:

I love that stern is starting to build bench strength with new, young talent. Very smart move on their part to develop and groom the next generation of pinball business and creative leaders.

Agree. Some very shrewd hirings as of late.

And despite issues with QC and code delays, Stern just seem to be getting the themes people want.

All the rumored titles are cool - Guardians, Iron Maiden, Elvira 3, Deadpool, Pulp Fiction etc.

Compared to Pirates, Muppets, Toy Story with JJP. Ok, some will love these themes but I just keep going back to Stern themes.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Surprised Jody still has a job

The only thing I know about Jody is from the GOT dead flip video. If his promotion means he will no longer partake in the videos than I am all for his promotion.

#57 6 years ago

Awesome news and congrats to Zach. Now they need a better QC manager.

#58 6 years ago

This is a Great Hire!
    Gary is a smart guy to be in business this long and survive the test of time..His goal has always been to build low cost pro's for operators to route. Then premiums for collectors.
    Needed some marketing for awhile now.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

All the rumored titles are cool - Guardians, Iron Maiden, Elvira 3, Deadpool, Pulp Fiction etc.
    Compared to Pirates, Muppets, Toy Story with JJP. Ok, some will love these themes but I just keep going back to Stern themes.

Totally right, Stern absolutely crushes the themes. They get titles that the people buying machines today, in the 36 an older age bracket, really want.

I have faith Stern will fix both their QC and code issues. I hope Zach can market pinball to new people and grow the hobby. We all benefit from hobby growth. The more new people the better.

#60 6 years ago

I hope in this new era of transparency we'll get to find out how Steve Ritchie makes his hair do that.

#61 6 years ago

Congrats to Zach, Jody & Stern Pinball! Exciting times and beyond excited to be along for the ride as long as they let me!

And as much as a few folks here like to sh!t on Jody - I hope you realize the multiple roles he's played and the beyond positive results from the licenses he's brought. He was also integral in getting me involved in some things I hope you'll like- so there's that. Unless he's killed your pets or loved ones I say relax on the guy & see what happens moving forward

..And 'moving forward' with Zach focusing on marketing and Jody focusing on licensing is a great decision by Stern that will only lead to better titles & better messaging.

Also, this is jody's alt account etc...

#62 6 years ago

Now that's a rational response

Quoted from zombieyeti:

Congrats to Zach, Jody & Stern Pinball! Exciting times and beyond excited to be along for the ride as long as they let me!
    And as much as a few folks here like to sh!t on Jody - I hope you realize the multiple roles he's played and the beyond positive results from the licenses he's brought. He was also integral in getting me involved in some things I hope you'll like- so there's that. Unless he's killed your pets or loved ones I say relax on the guy & see what happens moving forward
    ..And 'moving forward' with Zach focusing on marketing and Jody focusing on licensing is a great decision by Stern that will only lead to better titles & better messaging.

#63 6 years ago

Very cool, who betta?

#64 6 years ago

Maybe a good player and collector like him should be in charge of sterns qc, not marketing.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Maybe a good player and collector like him should be in charge of sterns qc, not marketing.

He couldn't afford the pay cut....

#66 6 years ago

Excellent! Hopefully Zach will fully support operators and launch parties to the level they deserve!!!

#67 6 years ago

Even with stern so called "crushing it with licenses" I really didn't think Star Wars could be a miss again after all these years. Boy I was wrong! I know it is a sensitive subject for some, but at least I know I am not the only one. So yeah Guardians and Deadpool would be dream themes, but I am sure that they will be super barren with little code. I mean seriously when was the last time stern created a mechanical toy? I know its debatable, but in my opinion the last toy they created was POTC ship. There needs to be a centerpiece well thought out main toy in every game.

#68 6 years ago

Hopefully this doesn't mean stern will continue operating as usual and this marketing guys spin job is to be a fan boy in making everyone believe things are really great.

#69 6 years ago

Just throwing this out there:

Would it fall under the "Director of Marketing" to better communicate software development plans and the road maps of the software for the games?

This seems to be an ongoing sore point. Maybe Zach can come up with something better than "stay tuned".

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from srmonte:

. I mean seriously when was the last time stern created a mechanical toy? I know its debatable, but in my opinion the last toy they created was POTC ship. There needs to be a centerpiece well thought out main toy in every game.

Subway shot on gb
    Floating slimer target on gb
    Dragon on got
    Chair lock on got
    Sword lock on got
    Toy box and launch on aero
    The turntable on bm66
    The crane on bm66
    Gene head on kiss
    Starman ball transfer on kiss
    Barn on twd
    Well walker on twd

And we could go on... most games have at least two significant mechanical toys the player interacts with

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Just throwing this out there:
    Would it fall under the "Director of Marketing" to better communicate software development plans and the road maps of the software for the games?
    This seems to be an ongoing sore point. Maybe Zach can come up with something better than "stay tuned".

Classical... no. Unless the software schedule were part of your value proposition of why buy us.

That would be support or communications. But given stern is relatively small... one could argue pr/marketing/communications- basically all public facing statements should go through the same staff managing the public image.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Subway shot on gb
    Dragon on got
    Chair lock on got
    Sword lock on got
    The turntable on bm66
    The crane on bm66
    Gene head on kiss
    Barn on twd
    Well walker on twd
    And we could go on... most games have at least two significant mechanical toys the player interacts with

Some of these are really reaching. The GB subway? Sword lock? Gene head? Lol. Not exactly Rudy. Plus wasn't the BM66 crane just a retheme of a toy they designed ten years ago?

I like Stern, but it's kind of undeniable they have mechanically simple playfields compared to 90s B/W and modern JJP games.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I do NOT see how any way shape or form he should be allowed to participate in tournaments TOOO much inside info

Ludicrous.
    Only an inferior player would have a concern like this.
    ------------------
    Congrats Zach.
    I'd like to think things at Stern will change now, but.....????

Zebras do not change stripes - no matter how good the ideas they receive from their employees.
    Cheap is cheap, goes too the bone.
    Hope I'm wrong.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

We did have a cat go missing last year

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Some of these are really reaching. The GB subway? Sword lock? Gene head? Lol. Not exactly Rudy. Plus wasn't the BM66 crane just a retheme of a toy they designed ten years ago?
    I like Stern, but it's kind of undeniable they have mechanically simple playfields compared to 90s B/W and modern JJP games.

You don't have to like them to be mechanical toys.

Congo's gorilla is stupid... still a mechanical toy.

The statement wasn't about more or less... it's that they have not had any. Which is hyperbolic at best... and categorically wrong in most senses.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

I do NOT see how any way shape or form he should be allowed to participate in tournaments TOOO much inside info

LOL - you can always count on Mike to be wrong and stupid about everything. What an friggin' dangus.

Congrats, Zach! <---(that's want a non-stupid asshole says, Mike).

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

And as much as a few folks here like to sh!t on Jody - I hope you realize the multiple roles he's played and the beyond positive results from the licenses he's brought. He was also integral in getting me involved in some things I hope you'll like- so there's that...

Jody has made his own bed for the way he treats customers, the lies he tells, and the 'marketing' tactics he has used. no need to have you come use your respected name to come tell us all to give Jody another chance because he is your buddy now. If he wants another chance then he needs to earn it with his actions.

I hope you realize the multiple lies he has told people, the QC issues stern has had, and the perpetual lack of clear code timelines or completed code are important to the customer base. IF you want to do something valuable then don't come here to defend him and instead go encourage him to change and take more accountability for his actions. I believe anyone can change, but when his peers are not helping him and influencing him to do so then it is less likely.

On topic, congrats to Zach and I am hopeful this will mean some much needed improvements to get the brand back on the right track.

#78 6 years ago

Congrats to Zach and to Stern! It's great to have world class players working at Stern

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Subway shot on gb

Strictly speaking, this is an inertial toy, not mechanical. Like a ramp. Which it's...part...of.....oops.

Unless you were talking about the lock trough...hard to call that a toy, in the traditional pinball sense, though.

#80 6 years ago

Which position oversees quality control at Stern?

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Jody has made his own bed for the way he treats customers, the lies he tells, and the 'marketing' tactics he has used. no need to have you come use your respected name to come tell us all to give Jody another chance because he is your buddy now. If he wants another chance then he needs to earn it with his actions.
    I hope you realize the multiple lies he has told people, the QC issues stern has had, and the perpetual lack of clear code timelines or completed code are important to the customer base. IF you want to do something valuable then don't come here to defend him and instead go encourage him to change and take more accountability for his actions. I believe anyone can change, but when his peers are not helping him and influencing him to do so then it is less likely.
    On topic, congrats to Zach and I am hopeful this will mean some much needed improvements to get the brand back on the right track.

nailed it.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Strictly speaking, this is an inertial toy, not mechanical. Like a ramp. Which it's...part...of.....oops.
    Unless you were talking about the lock trough...hard to call that a toy, in the traditional pinball sense, though.

It's like the waterfall ramp on WH20 are completely for effect and standout features on the game.

#83 6 years ago

Looking forward to a new era. Stern has great licensing talent, great artists, and some fresh blood marketing. Best of luck Zach. See what you can do about getting more than 2 flippers on some new games.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope you realize the multiple lies he has told people, the QC issues stern has had, and the perpetual lack of clear code timelines or completed code are important to the customer base. IF you want to do something valuable then don't come here to defend him and instead go encourage him to change and take more accountability for his actions.

How many of these issues do you blame on one person? Seems like you are blaming him for a lot of things he may not have control over.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

It's like the waterfall ramp on WH20 are completely for effect and standout features on the game.

Okay, but it's not mechanical or electrical...the only mechanical part of that thing is the flipper and the diverter to go into the trough. =P

#86 6 years ago

Pinball is an ugly industry, full of underhanded tactics, sabotage, and fakery. Always has been, Stern didn't invent any of it. Maybe it's the Chicago in it all, city of gangsters.

I heard Jody tried to steal the Alien license away from Heighway. Is that true? lol beats me, if Andrew himself had told me I wouldn't necessarily believe it. But admit it, you probably think it's true, because pinball is like that.

Be real though, no one cared about Jody until he showed up on a couple game streams and annoyed the community, and now it's grudge city. Oh Pinside.

We just love to gossip and pick sides. The really good stories don't even make the forums, I promise you that!

I don't own any pinball team jerseys. Zach has been one of the realest people in pinball since he was ankle low to a centipede's toe, just celebrate him, and wait and see what he does instead of picking on the guy he's replacing in the job.

Go Zach!

#87 6 years ago

I can only see upsides to hiring Zach

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I heard Jody tried to steal the Alien license away from Heighway.

That would have been a tough battle with a Sharpe on the other end of that deal

#89 6 years ago

Where's Bakushan in all of this? Still Boy Valet?

#90 6 years ago

Congratulations Zach...looking forward to the pinball future even more now...go get 'em!!

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Subway shot on gb
    Dragon on got
    Chair lock on got
    Sword lock on got
    The turntable on bm66
    The crane on bm66
    Gene head on kiss
    Barn on twd
    Well walker on twd

The batmobile spinner might count as a new toy as it was an improvement on an existing design from Avengers. The new design is self centering (about 2/3'rd of the time anyways) vs never centering centering. So they are trying to improve on mechanical designs in some areas. Also the whole way the ball locking mechanism works with the diverter gate is new and clever.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zach-sharpe-new-marketing-director-at-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.