• 23 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jimy_speedt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi,

When I start a game, the voices work ok but I get no sound.

In the past I had some sound but not all ok, and the eproms were damaged, so I purchased 3 new eproms. do not know if it is linked or not as I experienced other problems, but now thete is no more sound at game start, but I get the voices.

The sound board boots ok
The test from the coin door is successful for the 8 first sounds, but it buzzes continuously at the 9th.

I read from Dave 's site that the 1408DAC generates that sound. So I replaced it. No change.
I also replaced the sound generator IC and the lm3900s. No change.

Where can this problem come from ??? Can it be from the CPU or a bad eprom ?

Any help is welcome thanks.

#2 2 years ago

did you move the adjustment pots back and forth and clean them out? Also move the sound pot by the coin door back and forth a lot. Clean them out, helps a lot.

Voices
Background sounds
Sound effects

are all separate and driven by different things. Sounds like some of your sections are not working correctly.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply

Yes all pots work, can hear from the background noise.
In test, sounds are ok and audible except it stops at sound 9

Thanks

#4 2 years ago

I forgot to mention that the short middle eprom I received from Marco is a 2732 not a 2532. The jumper schema from Dave Gersic, does it apply to 2732 or 2532 and should I change the jumpers, how ?

Thanks for the support

#5 2 years ago

jumpers are different if your roms are different sizes. You should get the same size eproms, as they are then universal for all MPU and Sound boards.

With Time machine, the 5050 or (5052?) chip is different than all other zacs. we recently found this out, but I forgot which one Time machine should be. Dave knows. It's been awhile since I delt with this problems but it effected the sounds. So you DO have background sounds and voices? but no sound effects?

#6 2 years ago

Ok, I thought jumpers would help compensating the different layouts from one to another eprom type. With the pinball champ, someone over here gave me the good combination (2 eproms impacted, about 6 jumpers to move) and it succeeded, but with this one, I am pending and not sure it is the problem

I have not background sound at all, nor effects, only voices, when playing I mean. In test I have this strange buzzing noise after 8 successful sounds ...

Thanks

#7 2 years ago

thought you said you can hear background in sound test mode? You may have the wrong 5050 chip. Dave is better at the specifics of this. We had a problem recently about Time machine and discovered that TM does something a little different in the sound department. I'd email dave directly. I'll PM his contact info.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks a lot !

#9 2 years ago

Hi,

I would concentrate more on the sound card eproms... as already told Jimy on another forum, it is even incredible to sell eproms for Zaccaria cards which do not fit with the Zaccaria specs.

that card uses 2532 and not 2732, the fact of playing with not known jumper settings to make them work is already something I wouldn't support. Marco should not sell 2732 instead of 2532 not even giving instructions on how to modify the sound board to make it work.

IMHO

PS
Neo, the TMS5200 or TMS5220 is the speech CHIP and normally affects all the speeches but both can work with different results regarding the quality of the voice.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hi,
I would concentrate more on the sound card eproms... as already told Jimy on another forum, it is even incredible to sell eproms for Zaccaria cards which do not fit with the Zaccaria specs.
that card uses 2532 and not 2732, the fact of playing with not known jumper settings to make them work is already something I wouldn't support. Marco should not sell 2732 instead of 2532 not even giving instructions on how to modify the sound board to make it work.
IMHO
PS
Neo, the TMS5200 or TMS5220 is the speech CHIP and normally affects all the speeches but both can work with different results regarding the quality of the voice.

that's the chip the 5200 vs the 5220. It's not true. Both do not work. Not in time machine anyway. Time machine has a different verison 10 chip which makes it not work with both version of the 5200. The sound was all messed up until we figured it out.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's the chip the 5200 vs the 5220. It's not true. Both do not work. Not in time machine anyway. Time machine has a different verison 10 chip which makes it not work with both version of the 5200. The sound was all messed up until we figured it out.

We could have a long discussion about that but better not

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

We could have a long discussion about that but better not

i'm telling you from first hand experience. Time machine was not fully compatible with the 5200 chip. Now it could be the sound roms associated with it, or that 10 chip. Actually I know the 10 chip was involved and slightly different than all the other games. But maybe the sound images for GB effect this as well.

For me, all the sounds were super fast. And I mean super fast. Like every sound was less than 1 second.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'm telling you from first hand experience. Time machine was not fully compatible with the 5200 chip. Now it could be the sound roms associated with it, or that 10 chip. Actually I know the 10 chip was involved and slightly different than all the other games. But maybe the sound images for GB effect this as well.
For me, all the sounds were super fast. And I mean super fast. Like every sound was less than 1 second.

yes I see...
that's exactly what I meant, the chip works, but the voice speed is different due to resistance differences.

#14 2 years ago

I have made some test and here you see the video with EN and FR eproms on a Time Machine sound card with TMS5200

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you try it with the 5220?

No, I should take another sound card with 5220 to try because I will not remove the 5200, and you know why?
Because those chip are extremely bad and pins tend to break when removing them after 35y

#17 2 years ago

oh I break my share. I've had more sounds problems with zacs over the years than anyone else i know. At one point, I had problems with 5 different sound boards.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

oh I break my share. I've had more sounds problems with zacs over the years than anyone else i know. At one point, I had problems with 5 different sound boards.

Sound boards are the most complicated ones... and I understand...

#19 2 years ago

According to the schematic, the time Machine need the 5220 not the 5200.
These 2 chips have compatible pinout but a different encoding algorithm. So you really need the 5220. You won’t get the original sound with a 5200.

The 2532 and 2732 are both 4K eprom with different pinout.
I’ve got 2732 on my Zac for many years now and it works great.

#20 2 years ago

yes it's possible, but it's not refraining the pinball machine to run, this is what I’m saying…

#21 2 years ago

I replaced the new eproms by newer eproms from Gianfri. The problem of the 9th sound buzzing in test mode was overcome. But further sounds remained silent. The only parts that I had not tested were the PIAs which I checked and are good, and the mf10. That part gives the problem. I am gonna change it and hopefully the thread can be closed for me.

#22 2 years ago

I recently had a problem with my Soccer kings. just shopped it out and got it up and running. But sounds 0,1,2,3,4,7,8,9 did not work. Turned out the 3y chip was missing (sound board must have been from pinball champ) so it couldn't play those sounds. The 3 long chips on the board each are responsible for different groups of sounds. If the chip is bad, certain sounds will not work.

4 weeks later
#23 2 years ago

Finally, I replaced the 4053b. No change. As all sounds are played correctly without the mf10, I ll leave the board without this chip. thanks all for your answers to this topic

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uden, NB
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.99
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 75.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside