By NorwegianRockCat

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm having a problem with a Zaccaria Time Machine. This machine has been talked about before here in a [previous post](https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-time-machine-rising-playfield-problem#post-2492313). When I got it everything was working well.

Now the problem seems to be that the machine seems to mostly think it is in the past. Every time the ball lands in the time hole. The pop bumper platform raises or lowers as expected, but the machine almost always announces "now you will go into the past." In this state, the drop targets only award a bonus in the past. The worst side effect of this is when playing with multiple players. Then, the pop bumper platform changes position on the next ball (e.g., Player 1 gets the platform up, then drains; the platform goes down for Player 2). Needless to say, the machine "as is" can't be used in a tournament.

I have gone through all switches and they all check out. Switch 51 (the switch that marks if the platform is down or not) seems good too. The connectors for the switch matrix were weak and old, so I have changed all of them with trifurcon pins. That didn't seemed to make a difference, but on the other hand all the switches still work.

From reading online, I thought that IC38 might have been bad (since "maybe" the future/past state was part of the matrix?). I socketed and switched this as well and it didn't seem to make a difference. I also thought that maybe some transistors were bad, but they all seemed OK as well.

I'm starting to get at wits end here. I'm hoping someone may have seen this issue before or maybe has a suggestion. To me it seems like there is a problem in the software somewhere and not in the electronics. I'd be happy for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

Any progress?

#3 5 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer No, unfortunately not. But thank you for asking.

I'm kind of at a loss. The only thing that I can think is to get some test ROMS to see if the my RAM is bad or the ROMS are bad. I tried to change the RAM chip at IC4. Even though, the chips are the same, but it just made the machine go crazy (as in even when it was in service mode with Dip-4 switched on, I couldn't do anything). Maybe both IC4 and IC5 need to be changed at the same time, but that seems very strange.

I'm really grasping at anything at the moment. So, I'm slowly going back through the information about Zaccaria machines on-line. Seems there is stuff on zaccaria-pinball.com, pinwiki, and pinrepair.

Still, any sort of hint would be useful. I'll be sure to post a follow up if I have any sort of breakthrough.

3 weeks later
#4 5 years ago

Mine did the same thing a few years ago, drove me crazy, lol. It's a simple fix, but extremely hard to find. Pm me your number and best time to call, and I'll walk you thru it.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from FUNWIZ:

Mine did the same thing a few years ago, drove me crazy, lol. It's a simple fix, but extremely hard to find.

Care to post details of the fix for the good of the community and future reference

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

I'm having the same or a very similar problem - if FUNWIZ or NorwegianRockCat could post any advice, it'd be much appreciated.

EDIT: after a bit more fiddling, I think I've got it.

Switch 51, which closes when the mini-playfield is raised, tests just fine in switch test mode. Some experimentation shows that if it changes state too much during a ball, then the game discards its info and will run the mini-playfield motor between balls. I don't know why Zaccaria made it this way - maybe they thought that a flickery switch might indicate a jam, and thought that between balls was the best time to free it, I don't know. The microswitch is mounted between a couple of pop bumpers, so it gets vibrated to hell and covered in coil dust.

Anyway, dismantling the switch and cleaning its contacts put the game into reliable operation again in my case. I had to drill out the microswitch rivets to gain access to the inside (and you'll have to do this in order to get the lever off, if you plan on replacing the switch entirely). The screws holding the switch to the mounting bracket should hold the two halves of the switch in place.

3 months later
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from CavemanJoe:

I'm having the same or a very similar problem - if FUNWIZ or NorwegianRockCat could post any advice, it'd be much appreciated.
EDIT: after a bit more fiddling, I think I've got it.
Switch 51, which closes when the mini-playfield is raised, tests just fine in switch test mode. Some experimentation shows that if it changes state too much during a ball, then the game discards its info and will run the mini-playfield motor between balls. I don't know why Zaccaria made it this way - maybe they thought that a flickery switch might indicate a jam, and thought that between balls was the best time to free it, I don't know. The microswitch is mounted between a couple of pop bumpers, so it gets vibrated to hell and covered in coil dust.
Anyway, dismantling the switch and cleaning its contacts put the game into reliable operation again in my case. I had to drill out the microswitch rivets to gain access to the inside (and you'll have to do this in order to get the lever off, if you plan on replacing the switch entirely). The screws holding the switch to the mounting bracket should hold the two halves of the switch in place.

CavemanJoe Thank you for posting this!

Sorry for the long silence here. It's been very slow work for me as I've had issue getting parts, finding time to get to the machine (working on a PhD). I went the other way and thought memory or the ROMs were bad. At the end, I now have new memory and free play ROMS that work great, but the problem is still there.

I will look at the microswitch and see what happens as that seems very much what I'm seeing. What did you do in your experimentation to see this?

I will of course post my final solution.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from NorwegianRockCat:

cavemanjoe Thank you for posting this!
Sorry for the long silence here. It's been very slow work for me as I've had issue getting parts, finding time to get to the machine (working on a PhD). I went the other way and thought memory or the ROMs were bad. At the end, I now have new memory and free play ROMS that work great, but the problem is still there.
I will look at the microswitch and see what happens as that seems very much what I'm seeing. What did you do in your experimentation to see this?
I will of course post my final solution.

FUNWIZ was not able to help you?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

funwiz was not able to help you?

I didn't get a chance to talk to @funwiz. I only just returned to this. I'll PM funwiz too.

#10 5 years ago

Didn't see anything else going on, and was no longer watching this... Yes, it's the up/down switch located on the back of the moving playfield. It gets flaky, and not making good contact. You can get a can of switch cleaner, and spray the switch heavily while working it open and closed. Wrap it first in a heavy terry cloth towel, so the spray stays on the switch, and not all over the inside of the machine. You should see the dirt coming out of the switch, after a min or two, should be ok again. You probably need to make a note to 'clean this switch' yearly in the maintenance log. That should fix your problems, if not, recheck the wiring on all the connectors to that switch. Keep on flipping! :0)

#11 5 years ago

Thank you, @funwiz! I bought some "electronic connection cleaner without oil" at the local electronics store and sprayed it into switch. It took a couple of attempts, but afterwards the game started recognizing the "future" and "past" again. Yes! I never would have thought to clean the switch when it tested OK in switch test.

I'm marking this resolved. Thanks again for the help, even though I was slow to get back to this, I have a much better Time Machine than I started.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-time-machine-always-thinks-it-is-in-the-past and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.