(Topic ID: 128607)

Zaccaria: Switch matrix shorted to +39V?

By buttons

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CNKay
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wires.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I discovered that one switch on my Zaccaria Magic Castle was disconnected. It was obvious that the operator had done it intentionally, but I couldn't imagine why. Please see the attached photo. The switch is contact 47, 50.000 PTS CENTRAL BANK.
Because this was completely disconnected, the central droptarget bank was also not registering.

So I connected the two green wires to one lug of the switch, and the two white/purple on the other side.
When I fired up the game, IC38 on the CPU board exploded! That must have been the reason why the op had disconnected it.

I read on zaccaria-pinball.com that this may be caused by a short circuit between the +39V solenoid voltage and the switch matrix. After the accident I measured between each of the four wires and ground, and I didn't find any +39V. The results were +5V,0V,0V,+5V.
I also tried checking for continuity between each of the wires and the lugs of all solenoids, but couldn't find anything.

Do you have any suggestion how I should continue troubleshooting? I read that all the solenoids are powered all the time, and that they are activated by switching them to ground. So could it be that one of the four wires are stripped and is somehow shorting one of the solenoids to ground?

If I connect up the two green wires now, all of (or many of) the coils are firing. But I don't know if that is to be expected now that IC38 is blown.

wires.jpgwires.jpg
#2 8 years ago

Well to be honest you likely did a ton of damage to the board. Ic exploding is never good.

How ever those wires were before redo. Then you need to fix your board. And with schematics really understand where those hanging wires need to go.

You took a guess sounds like and made a huge mistake.

That happened to me once. Solenoid voltage on switch matrix by accident with a screw driver. It is very very bad news. I think I took out 4 ic's.

No more guessing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-switch-matrix-shorted-to-39v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.