F8E7E8C3-0F9B-4527-B4AC-CC06B440B3E7 (resized).jpeg
283D0977-D5AB-4070-8DCF-0EEB879B86ED (resized).jpeg
RIGHT (resized).jpg
LEFT (resized).jpg
784CA593-B798-426E-880F-3F3A4E27E7C4 (resized).jpeg
AFF5AA47-5C5A-4C42-90BE-DF6A42E97989 (resized).jpeg
2181FAD8-8FEE-46E4-9662-994CFDE79636 (resized).jpeg
C4763716-D5BB-44EE-A74D-9EBE9F203676 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#677 5 years ago

Hello all. I have a Farfalla, and have just picked up a Space Shuttle in Europe for $900. (There is some guy in AZ who has one - he's the guy that won an award with it in CO - but he wants $2900.) At $800 shipping, that's only $400 more than from a generic location in the USA.

Anyway, this Space Shuttle appears to have been originally distributed in Austria, and unfortunately, the coin labels have been scratched out. I'd like to get the labels as per the Austrian coins. I see that there is someone who makes vinyl decals for all the different coins (https://www.easywebshop.com/arcadedecals/webshop/218779-zaccaria-vinyl), but it seems that the original labels were screen printed like the one Dave Gersic has (http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/). I'd rather have a set of Austrian labels, especially since the lengths of the coin slots match these. I suppose that if I can't find these, I'd need to get the coin slot frames that match Dave's 25c label.

First, I'd like to know if anyone knows of the original label out there, either NOS, repro, or used. I'd also like to know if anyone has used the labels from the easywebshop; I can't tell if they need a clear plastic label or if they are just put right on - or whether they really o an adequate job.

Thanks

2 years later
#1064 3 years ago

Hello. I'm a newbie to this thread. I recently imported a Space Shuttle that is not working (it looks like I will just send all the boards to Dave Gersic) and have a Farfalla (that I still haven't gotten around to playing; I've got lots of other pins in the herd that have needed my attention and I'm pretty busy on the road a lot, etc.) that I bought in the USA. Down the road, I plan on getting a Robot.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be anything in the schematics or manuals that specify what the amps should be for the transformer - which is important since Zac sold a lot outside the 115V mains zone. The 230V released Space Shuttle has fuses of 5A & 1.6A (big & small transformer), and am wondering what I should do now that I have converted it to 115V. Common physics says to simply double the amps, but I recall that it was typical for American manufacturers to use 8A for 115V and 5A for 230V, so maybe my understanding of transformer impedance is not as good as I think - as a mechanical engineer I took "comprehensive electrical engineering" in my studies, but I have long forgotten about how to figure in a transformer in impedance calculations, so maybe I am missing something here. Looking at the fuses for the power board (I presume that the 3 fuses on the backside of the playfield feed from the power board), I tally up 672.5 VA - but I am not sure which transformer feed which fuses on the power board. Perhaps Zac set up the fuse levels for the lowest voltage in the world? The 6.6A would fit the 672.5 VA.

I haven't looked at the transformer fuse for Zaccaria, but it seems to have been released in the USA, so I would imagine that it is proper, but of course the manual only shows 5A, but it's in Italian, so was it meant for 230V? WHO KNOWS?

The manuals also don't seem to indicate whether any particular fuse is fast or slow blow. I've done a little googling of images, and it seems to be a hodge-podge of fast & slow everywhere, so I have no idea. I would appreciate the wisdom of the group for this.

I am firm believer in replacing MPU boards with remanufactured ones. I see that there is a Gen 2 remanufacture, but haven't seen one for Gen 1. Is a Gen 1 available anywhere?

Grazie

#1066 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Dear Swamp,
I confirm that we have produced the Gen2 replacement MPU board and we are working on the Gen1 version.
We have a working version using the original eproms but we are currently experiencing some troubles with the flash function which will allow this MPU owners to select any Gen1 game without original leproms therefore this replacement will be only available when those will be solved.
Eproms for Gen1 are quite an annoying thing as one needs 5 eproms, most of them 2708, which are difficult to find and to program, therefore the flash option will really be the best feature for this MPU.
Gianfri

That's excellent! Rather than get the OEM board fixed, I will simply wait for this product to come out. Are you also working on the other boards? Does the Gen 2 (and whenever it comes, the Gen 1) board allow for new game if the number of credits is 0? This is the behavior of the Ni-Wumpf Gottlieb System 1 replacement board, but not the Alltek Bally replacement board, which to allow for free play doesn't use credits, and thus there is no way to get special.

Are you also working on any of the non-MPU boards for Zacs?

#1067 3 years ago

Are you also working on any of the non-MPU boards for Zacs?

#1069 3 years ago

It looks like I have found a place that makes the Zaccaria-style post caps, although the material here is titanium:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Din-1587-titanium-hex-domed-cap_1879537593.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.12.104c12241fW3PE

I think the Zacs post thread is 3.5M. Can anyone confirm this?

#1070 3 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

It looks like I have found a place that makes the Zaccaria-style post caps, although the material here is titanium:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Din-1587-titanium-hex-domed-cap_1879537593.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.12.104c12241fW3PE

I think the Zacs post thread is 3.5M. Can anyone confirm this?

1 week later
#1074 3 years ago

Anyone know if Trump's tariffs will include "pinball machines & bell ringers" from the EU? (That's the official listing in the government's Harmonized Tariff Schedule, LOL.) I've got my eye on another Zac (which of course is "made in Italy"), and I sure wouldn't like to pay a 25% tariff on importing it!

1 month later
#1141 2 years ago

I have a Space Shuttle that was bought from someone in Hungary, but it had all the stickers indicating it was released in Austria - including having an extra set of 10 ÖS coin labels (the original set were scratched out), and a Farfalla that was bought in the USA (and seemed to be released in North American as it has a NEMA plug) and had standard 25c plates.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but it seems that of the 4 coin plate brackets I have between the 2 (I mixed them up), I have the coin slots as:

1 @ 25 mm

2 @ 28.5 mm

1 @ 32 mm

Researching this, the diameter of the coins are:

AUT 10 ÖS : 26 mm

USD 25¢ : 24.3 mm

So basically the only coin that fits in the 25 mm slot is the 25¢, so this must have been used on the Farfalla. The 10 ÖS coins fit in the 28.5 mm slot, so that makes sense. But why is there not another 25 mm slot for the other 25¢. I don't recall buying another bracket - and if I did, I sure wish I could remember where I did!

3 months later
#1197 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
I would like to introduce you to our little project!
Me and Han B. have built a CPU board and a driver board for ALL first-generation Zaccaria pinball machines. These boards are rebuilt, with modifications, to the original boards so that the schematics and testers can continue to be used.
Alex
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So these are available for purchase? Are you working on the other boards for System 1 too? I'm the kind of guy that likes to replace everything on these old machines.

#1198 2 years ago

So what boards for Systems 1 & 2 are currently available for sale now, or are planning to be on sale in the future? I'm getting confused by all these one-off posts in this forum.

#1204 2 years ago

OK, so if I understand this correctly, I could source remanufactured boards as follows:

Generation 1:

- MPU: Blackadder (now) & gianfri (soon)

- driver: Blackadder (now)

- power: gianfri (possibly in future)

Generation 2:

- MPU: gianfri (now)

- driver: gianfri (now)

- power: gianfri (possibly in future)

Is this accurate?

As for myself, I think my Farfalla (Gen 2) is fine except that one of the pin connectors has a few busted pins. I presume that gianfri could sell that as a separate piece since he is making new boards with that, and I could just repin it myself. The MPU on my Space Shuttle (Gen 1) is not working and the power board seems to have an ugly hack, so I would want to replace that.

As for keeping old boards going, I've got a bad track record with Gottlieb System 1 and the early Bally boards, so my attitude is to just replace everything and not worry about it. That said, the Gen 2 boards seem to be solidly built, so maybe I will try to keep those going. In any case, if I'm ever considering shipping out my boards to get fixed, I will always prefer to buy remanufactured boards instead.

#1206 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Yes, that looks ok for what concerns my products, cannot tell you about the others.
Regarding MPUs reproductions, I had some direct experiences with them and I can affirm that sometimes they can be very instable, could be due to modern components which are not exactly equivalent to the old ones.
One last detail, our boards are not clones but compatible evolutions like the Alltek.
Both MPUs work with flash roms and dip switches and not with original eproms. (G2 can still support old eproms but G1 won't)
I think you can still contact David Gersic in US for Zaccaria board's repair.
Gianfri

So you are saying that Gersic's EPROM/ROM ?? that allows for free play won't work with your G1 but will work with your G2? Does your board come with free play? What I mean by "free play" is that the new credits are awarded as usual, and the only extra thing that the MPU does is allow the player to start a new game even if the number of credits is 0. This is what the Ni-Wumpf Gottlieb System 1 MPU does, but the AllTek Bally Universal MPU board does not. According to him, Gersic's EPROM/ROM allows for this.

As for the repair, all I am interested in is one of the male pin sets, specifically CN11. Obviously you have been able to source these to build you product; I just want to get that part number and a vendor that sells it. Or I could just get it from you when I get the G1 MPU from you in the future. And it may turn out that that G2 MPU I have has some other issues, and in that case, I would just buy the G2 from you as well - but I would rather get that pin part on my own and fix it and after that determine if I need to replace the whole board.

#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Yes, that looks ok for what concerns my products, cannot tell you about the others.
Regarding MPUs reproductions, I had some direct experiences with them and I can affirm that sometimes they can be very instable, could be due to modern components which are not exactly equivalent to the old ones.
One last detail, our boards are not clones but compatible evolutions like the Alltek.
Both MPUs work with flash roms and dip switches and not with original eproms. (G2 can still support old eproms but G1 won't)
I think you can still contact David Gersic in US for Zaccaria board's repair.
Gianfri

So you are saying that Gersic's EPROM/ROM ?? that allows for free play won't work with your G1 but will work with your G2? Does your board come with free play? What I mean by "free play" is that the new credits are awarded as usual, and the only extra thing that the MPU does is allow the player to start a new game even if the number of credits is 0. This is what the Ni-Wumpf Gottlieb System 1 MPU does, but the AllTek Bally Universal MPU board does not. According to him, Gersic's EPROM/ROM allows for this.

As for the repair, all I am interested in is one of the male pin sets, specifically CN11. Obviously you have been able to source these to build you product; I just want to get that part number and a vendor that sells it. Or I could just get it from you when I get the G1 MPU from you in the future. And it may turn out that that G2 MPU I have has some other issues, and in that case, I would just buy the G2 from you as well - but I would rather get that pin part on my own and fix it and after that determine if I need to replace the whole board.

Quoted from gianfri:

Sorry, I forgot to answer your CN11 question.
No I don't have them and they appear to be impossible to find.
We just use standard strips which do not fit on the original boards.
And regarding the Free Play, the G1 board will come with both normal and free play roms while the G2 needs an additional flash rom to exchange on the board in order to have free play roms.
So both can have free play, G1 directly embedded and G2 with an optional/additional ROM sold as optional rom and probably as alternative to the original rom with no price difference. (these details are being finalised now)

I don't understand. If you don't have the CN11 pin header, then how does your board interface with the harness of the machine, which is designed to interface to a CN11 pin header?

I wonder if that CN11 pin header can be made to order via 3-D printing.

#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
I would like to introduce you to our little project!
Me and Han B. have built a CPU board and a driver board for ALL first-generation Zaccaria pinball machines. These boards are rebuilt, with modifications, to the original boards so that the schematics and testers can continue to be used.
Alex
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are these boards for sale now?

#1214 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
yes, the boards are for sale.

How would I go about purchasing it?

#1215 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Gersic's free eproms will be directly embedded on the G1 board together with the original ones, no need to burn them on eproms so no need to have eprom's support on the board.
And for the headers, we use different headers which are compatible with the connectors present in the pinball machine but not usable on the original boards for repair works.
Gianfri

I don't understand how the headers you use can be compatible with the connectors, but yet cannot not be used on a stock board.

1 month later
#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are you asking about the 20 pin pin headers used on the MPU board and driver board?
The pins on those headers are staggered (zig zag) on the solder side. The German manufacturer of these particular pin headers (cant remember their name but they're still around) no longer makes them; they are obsolete. Gianfri is using replacement pin headers that are traditional straight line on the solder side. That's why the headers he uses are not a drop in replacement on your original board. To make matters more difficult, Zaccaria used metric pin headers that are pin spaced 2.50mm apart. Not like your typical Molex imperial 0.1" connectors with pins spaced 2.54mm apart.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Added 33 days ago: [Edit] Found the original manufacturers (Lumberg) staggered pin header as used on these MPU / Driver boards: Good luck trying to find any though...
https://www.lumberg.com/en/products/product/2%2C5+MSFQ%252FO

OK, I just wanted to know how gianfri's new Gen 2 MPU interfaces with the OEM connectors without having the same plug-in part. This explains it very well. I will be soldering in some jumpers to bypass the bad male connector sticks (what are they called?) to see if that works; if not, I'll just get a brand new board from gianfri.

#1300 2 years ago

Anyone doing the Gen 1 power board remanufacture? The one for my Space Shuttle looks screwy, with all kinds of mods, including what looks like a small bolted on board at the top. I much prefer to have new boards that don't have any screwy hacks (i.e., that have been designed to remove those hacks).

#1303 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

We are working on both of them, G1 and G2 but no forecast for the moment, first concentrating in finishing what is currently beeing produced.

I shall be patiently waiting for your product. I know that I am ready to do install a complete set of remanufactured boards into my Space Shuttle (the ones in my Farfalla look in much better shape, so I don't think I will need that - although *I* have a very short fuse with OEM boards, and am always looking to install a remanufactured one at the slightest hint of problems).

2 months later
#1437 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Dear Zaccaria lovers,
I just wanted to confirm that the new Zaccaria MPU for G1 machines is finally available.
This MPU has the same concept as the G2 MPU, it comes with an internal flash rom including all the game ROMs.
On top of the standard ROMs we have also included the FREE PLAY ROMs which are selectable with an additional dip switch.
The main difference with the G2 MPU is the support for the original EPROMs which has been removed, we considered that it is unlikely to use the original EPROMs which are very difficult to burn when they are all present in the internal flash.
here you find a picture of the final product:
[quoted image]
Some of the features:
Modern components easy to find on the market;
Embedded flash rom with all the original game roms;
Possibility to select original or Free Play game roms;
One board can be used on all the G1 Zaccaria pinball machines without the need of replacing the eproms;
Easily select the game rom using a dip switch;
All socketed ICs for easy diagnostic and repair;
Status LEDs for quick diagnostic;
Headers on the original position in order to guarantee fully compatibility with original cabling;
We are currently testing them on some customers' machines before having them available on the website but I already wanted to introduce it to you.
I'll try to post a video later
Gianfri

I wonder if Dave Gersic's free play rom work with this 0 or perhaps the MPU takes care of free play?

#1440 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I’m going to have to report another instance of a pinitech NVRAM causing coil lockup problems. My Devil Riders was working just fine but without a battery. Swapped in the NVRAM and it started randomly locking coils on startup.
Last time I powered it up I didn’t notice a stuck pop bumper, until the coil started to melt and the board transistor blew out. My own fault it got so bad, I completely forgot to check the fuses to make sure values were correct.
Also seemed to respond a lot slower in some ways. The reaction flippers were most obvious. I wonder if the NVRAM causes issues on the data bus and this screws with the I/O circuits. I’ll have to look into the speeds on the NVRAM compared to the original style.
Unfortunately the bad coil is on the bottom left pop bumper and looks like I have to pull the upper left flipper too in order to work on it.
On a happy note I’m also starting to test some 3D printed flipper bags. Anybody have a pair of short flipper shafts? My game has Bally flippers for the main two and the top playfield just won’t be enough of a durability test.
[quoted image]

You could print the original white flipper bats too. They look like Gottlieb's, but don't have the shoe, so they are much lighter.

#1441 2 years ago

OK, now that gianfri has finally released the Generation 1 MPU, are there any other remanufactured boards for Generation 1 that are on the market? The power board (or is it the solenoid board?) for my Space Shuttle looks like a mess, with an extra small board bolted on to it (?) so I'd be in the market for that as well. With both of those, I should be ready to gt my project to go!

1 week later
#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Dear Zaccaria lovers,
I just wanted to confirm that the new Zaccaria MPU for G1 machines is finally available.
This MPU has the same concept as the G2 MPU, it comes with an internal flash rom including all the game ROMs.
On top of the standard ROMs we have also included the FREE PLAY ROMs which are selectable with an additional dip switch.
The main difference with the G2 MPU is the support for the original EPROMs which has been removed, we considered that it is unlikely to use the original EPROMs which are very difficult to burn when they are all present in the internal flash.
here you find a picture of the final product:
[quoted image]
Some of the features:
Modern components easy to find on the market;
Embedded flash rom with all the original game roms;
Possibility to select original or Free Play game roms;
One board can be used on all the G1 Zaccaria pinball machines without the need of replacing the eproms;
Easily select the game rom using a dip switch;
All socketed ICs for easy diagnostic and repair;
Status LEDs for quick diagnostic;
Headers on the original position in order to guarantee fully compatibility with original cabling;
We are currently testing them on some customers' machines before having them available on the website but I already wanted to introduce it to you.
I'll try to post a video later
Gianfri

The website says it is out of stock.

And a question about the free-play ROM with this board. Does this mean that the free-play ROM that is sold separately is already part of this board - IOW, it would make no sense to get this board AND get a free-play ROM? Or is it that the free-play ROM would need to be installed on top of the board?

#1458 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

The board is being initially sold and tested here in Europe before letting it available for the rest of the world.
G1 machines are extremely annoying in the way the run and we want to collect feedbacks from close countries before starting shipping overseas.
We are selling it privately, so it is out of stock in the webshop.
Regarding the FREE PLAY, if you're talking about the ROM sold on the webshop, it is clearly stated that it is for G2 MPUs, not for G1.
FREE PLAY option is embedded on this board:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome/page/29#post-5122032
I hope this answers your questions.
Regards
Gianfri

OK, so the Gen 1 board will have the free-play ROM.

I presume that you are basically considering the first rollout of the Gen 1 MPU to be a "beta release", and want to be able to make it easy for folks to ship it back to you to do any upgrades that you will figure out in this release. That's very considerate. When do you think this process will be complete?

#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

We are already working on the next release, we have realised, but we knew it, that the early G1 games have bugged roms which may bring to have a machine unusable when the memory is corrupted, and the problem is that the corruption comes from the fact that the rom doesn't populate the memory with the parameters in the correct way. This may appear with both old MPUs and the new one.
I will not enter into details as it is quite complicated to explain.
To make users' and our life easier we will add some new features to avoid having the memory corrupted and the new release will be produced in September.
I expect we will have the new MPU available end of September or October.
All the current revision boards have been sold, I have kept one for testing, so no other boards will be available until then.
Gianfri

Great. I wasn't looking to get this until before November in any case.

2 weeks later
#1478 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
yes, the boards are for sale.

Hi. You had not answered my question about how to purchase a board; I might be interested in the driver board. Do you also do a power board?

#1479 2 years ago

Farfalla owners, do you prefer the modest or sexy backbox overlay art? I have the modest one, like this one being offered at eBay.

ebay.com link: itm

I tend to think that the modest one goes better with the theme of "innocent love" that is depicted as a young, fully-clothed couple on the bridge.

4 months later
#1723 1 year ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Parting a Locomotion . Below is a link to items on Epay. Also have PF parts not yet listed - let me know what you might need. Backglass is good but unfortunately broken on top right corner.
ebay.com link
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I could use some of the Zaccaria M3.5-0.6 machine-screw top, 40 mm sheet-metal-screw bottom (i.e., length from bottom of the stud platform to end of screw) post studs that are standard (at least for my Farfalla). I broke the top left plastic and so I am converting one of the regular screws to a post stud.

Something like this, except sized for Zaccaria (which is important because the sheet-metal screw part has already been grooved on the plastic, and it fits the standard Zaccaria flanged hex cap nuts):

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-5469

I could also use a few of the post caps.

#1725 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you talking about the metal standoff screw that has a hex on the end used for plastics? With the screw in wood style bottom?

Yes, the screw goes through the post, and has a hex top with a machine screw above that, so that plastics are lain on the hex tops, and post caps are used on top to tie it down. I need the screw and post caps.

#1733 1 year ago

I have a Space Shuttle that needs new flipper springs. What exact part number (i.e., as is referenced in the USA), and where could I get it? I'd prefer to get it at Marco's since I will be doing an order there soon.

#1734 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you talking about the white top hat looking slider that goes on? how many you need. I have both on hand I think. Used but have them.

I need 2 of each.

#1736 1 year ago

I have questions for gianfri:

Are you going to be doing the Gen1 power board?

Are you currently out of the Gen1 MPU (i.e., available as "backorder"), but will have them when you do another manufacturing run?

1 week later
#1739 1 year ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hello, the G1 MPU board is available, I have got a big order and I have one left.
No plans for the power boards, I'm really not that motivated in running a production right now as we are currently working on new projects for Williams boards.
!!!One important detail on the Zaccaria MPUs!!!
We have discovered a compatibility problem with the very old white ceramic Signetics 2650 microprocessors.
Those ones are suspected to be a bugged or slower version of CPU which doesn't correctly work on our EVO MPUs
I hope I have answered to your questions

So shall I presume that you are working with this Signetics 2650 problem and will come up with a new rev, and then start producing this board again? I won't need it for several months.

#1740 1 year ago

I'm currently going through my Space Shuttle and making it sure it is ready for gianfri's Gen 1 board. So it powers up - and actually makes a squawk - and the general illumination for the playfield is fine, but nothing for the backbox general illumination. It seems that the backbox general illumination gets the feed directly from the transformer - does it come from the little transformer? I have no idea if that is working. Also, the controlled lamps are all out except for the Game Over one, which is flashing; is this what it is supposed to be?

#1742 1 year ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Not really,
the problem comes from that version of the signetics 2650 which is known to be slower and with some flaws.
The boards will not be corrected nor modified as it works perfectly with the updated version of the 2650 which is also the most available one.
We just added the notice that that particolar version of 2650 in not compatible.
I hope I was clear enough

OK, so you're saying that the current one you have is working fine, but that some earlier versions were not. Are you still going to be making another batch?

As for myself, it looks as though mine is working, so it looks like I won't need it, although the displays are in bad shape, so I might be getting that.

#1743 1 year ago

I need a flipper coil for Space Shuttle; I'm getting the proper voltage, but the coil is dead.

The marking says D45 S-500 / 14-6000. Where in the world can I get this?

This website has it listed (but out of stock) and says that it is cross-listed with Bally AQ-24-500/34-4500. I think I have one of these on a cannibalized Bally early SS.

https://www.flipperwinkel.nl/winkel/contents/nl/d185.html

#1745 1 year ago

I have a battery (or something) on the MPU for Space Shuttle that is a squat cylinder coming out with the marking "NC-M 110 EMERRICH". There looks to be some minimal corrosion around, and I will clean that off. I'd like to move to an offsite battery location, so I am wondering what my options are. My Farfalla has a remote rechargeable battery, so I am wondering if I should replace this with a rechargeable one, or if I could just use regular alkalines. Also, is the net battery voltage 4.5 just like every other pin?

#1747 1 year ago

I put a 3 x 1.5V remote non-rechargeable cell, and it seems to be holding the memory. But I have a much bigger problem with the flipper coil!

#1748 1 year ago

VERY, VERY confused about the replacement coil Bally AQ-25-500/34-5050 I got from Marco's!

First off, even though these websites say they are a match with the D45 S-500/14-6000:

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html

the EOS-open resistance for the Zacc is 530Ω whereas the one for the Bally is 362Ω (it's marked as this and measures this on the ohmmeter). OK, maybe this is OK ...

The coils have 3 leads with a pair of diodes going across the leads. Let's call A the side at the bottom of the arrow, C the side at the top of the arrow, and B being the point of the arrow from A and the bottom of the arrow to C.

A -> B -> C

Looking at the coils such that the leads are forward and on the bottom, there is:

Zacc: A -> B -> C

Bally: C <- B <- A

OK, no big deal, just the mirror image to keep in mind.

Now, when I do the resistance check, I get:

Zacc: AB = 530 | BC = 3.3 | AC = 530

Bally: AB = 3.3 | BC = 360 | AC = 363

Looking at the schematic for Zacc Space Shuttle, the EOS switch is in parallel between B & C, which is what is shown on the label of the Bally coil.

It would appear that 1 of 2 possibilities must be true:

[1] The Bally coil I have is correct, but it not a true substitution for the Zacc

[2] The actually Bally coils I have were manufactured incorrectly, and the proper Bally design is the same as Zacc. I've gotten an incorrectly assembled Game Plan board from Marco's made by Gulf Pinball for Marco's, so this could be a possibility.

Either way, it seems that the problem could be rectified by turning the diodes around (i.e., cutting the ones in putting in new diodes in parallel, or soldered in place).

What do you think?

#1750 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have recieved coils with the diodes reversed ftom Marco before.
I'd flip the diodes and retest.

Yes, that's what I have done, and it works fine. I had to really sand down the EOS switch - which is another issue as the one for one side is longer than the other side (any idea of what part it takes?) - and now that I think about it, the original stock coil prob probably had been working fine, as I'm getting the same good readings on both the stock coils (I replaced the pair since there were getting a different pat than stock).

#1752 1 year ago

OK, now I have a problem with the top hole not being strong enough to eject the ball. It looks like it's trying, but it's power stroke is not long enough.

#1753 1 year ago

I replaced my stock coils.
The metal bobbins were dragging horribly.
I also replaced the ribbon cables in the backbox.
The flippers are now twice as strong as the worn out beat down ones.
My farfalla is starting to play amazing!

As it appears that the 2 stocks ones were OK, I was considering putting them back in, but with your recommendation, I'll pass on it and keep the new ones. Maybe I should put new flipper coils on all my pins.

1 week later
#1768 1 year ago

It looks like I need the coil for a kicker, which appears to be D.40 / S.1200, and cross-references to 26-1200 for Bally or Williams. I've also read that sometimes this coil is to long to fit in applications, and vendors ask if a diode should be put in. What's the deal with this? Which exact model and configuration do I need? If it matters, it is for the top hole kicker on Space Shuttle.

4 months later
#2008 1 year ago

What other manufacturer's coil should I get for a Zacc D.40 / S.1200? This is for the kick out hole at the top of Space Shuttle.

I have in my notes that it could be replaced by a Williams or Bally 26-1200. Does that sound right?

At The Pinball Resource there are:

Bally A26-1200, AN26-1200, AO-26-1200, AP-26-1200, AR-26-1200, AT-26-1200, ATT-26-1200

Williams AE1- 26-1200, A2-26-1200, Coil A26-1200, AE26-1200

I have no idea what the difference is with these different coils.

#2010 1 year ago
Quoted from RazerX:

That looks to be correct according to Dave Gersic's coil cross reference:
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/misc/parts-interchange.html

So which one of those that I had listed is the proper one? There are 7 Bally & 4 Williams listed.

3 months later
#2147 1 year ago

For a replacement for a hole kicker (i.e., the top hole for Space Shuttle), the pinballmedic.net site says that it is cross-listed with "Williams 26-1200". I am looking to buy the AN-26-1200 / AO-1200 from Amazon (the item listing has both models listed). Would either of these work? Also, what is the difference between the AN & AO models?

1 week later
#2156 1 year ago

Is the diode a problem on regular flippers? It doesn't seem to be for my Space Shuttle.

8 months later
#2401 3 months ago

I've just noticed that unlike seemingly every other pin I have, my Zacc Space Mission does not have a symmetric playfield support (i.e., when the bottom side of the playfield needs to be accessed). On my 70s Bally SSs, there is a nice little groove that the playfield can rest on where it leans at a low angle on the backbox. Now granted, there is a long set of 3 x 2 studs (I am presuming they are the size in metric) supports on the Space Mission upon which to support, but no groove - and it is not an easy glide to get it to those 3 x 2 studs as one side has a notch to go on top of, and the other side has a gap to over. I've had to lift it up with a single arm, and even though I am old weight lifter, it's still tough!

I have a hard time believing this is stock. It's like the configuration on either side would work (almost) if the other side were symmetric.

LEFT (resized).jpgRIGHT (resized).jpg

#2402 3 months ago

Now for the reason that preceded the post about the playfield supports.

I posted it at Tech - Early SS:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-diagnose-bad-playfield-hole-kicker-zaccaria-space-mission#post-6368491

3 months later
#2433 13 days ago

Has anyone seen or have a Farfalla green lady insert panel? I really need one.
I really want to replace mine if there is a nice one out there.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you have a link to what this is?

#2441 11 days ago

Oh, it's just the regular back insert, with the full dress design. I have the one with the gal wearing shorts; I actually prefer it. I've seen the one you're talking about at eBay for like $500.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside