player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockwell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2486 2 years ago
Quoted from INSATANSSEAT:

Did everybody see this one come up? I like seeing machines go to collectors instead of local flippers, so here's a deal: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124232[quoted image]

It was me! Farfalla finally showed up today, very happy to have her here.

Tried booting up quick, and has a few issues. Can add credits but not start a game. So I ran tests quick...displays: good. Switches: good. Lamp test: nada. Solenoid test: nada.

Checked the incoming voltage to the power board, and the green and white wires at CN1 are showing 0V. So I guess I'll start there. I'll take a look at the connector and the board, but seems like maybe an issue at the transformer?

In any case, super excited to be here. My first Zac.

#2489 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

You clearly have a problem on the outputs.
Verify also if you have the 5v on the driver board

Yeah. I will give those a peek tomorrow.

I saw some of the replacement boards that you make on the pinballsolutions website, they look interesting.

#2490 2 years ago

Also, this is fun!:

PXL_20211201_193318893 (resized).jpgPXL_20211201_193318893 (resized).jpg

#2492 2 years ago

Here's a dumb question...I was checking fuses in my game, and when I pulled the front fuse out of the transformer, I didn't make note of how the plug was situated in the socket. I assumed it gets plugged in with the pin going into the 115V hole, but wasn't sure since I failed to notice. Is it not the 115v option for some reason? (I am in USA).

#2495 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I replaced my CPU board with the gianfri pinballsolutions.eu one.
I can not be happier!
Rock solid build, free play option built in, coin battery, exceptional support...
Solved all of my concerns immediately!
I even went a step further and bought the matching driver board and the replacement display boards.
The display boards were really fun to build and look FANTASTIC!
Getting the displays off the 170v circuit is a super improvement.

Cool, glad to hear. I am considering upgrading to the new board(s) as well. Seems like an easy way to keep things rolling smooth for a long time. Once I can get my game fully trouble-shot, we'll see how dire the situation is...and maybe I'll have to buy one sooner rather than later

#2499 2 years ago

Oh sweet, I am going to order one of those up. Thanks for the links!

** And an update on my power driver issue:

I confirmed everything tied back to the transformer properly, so took the board out and did some closer examination. The fuses checked good, but some of the clips seemed suspect, so I replaced them across the board. I also reflowed solder on the CN1 header. Several of the resistors were also testing strangely. So far I've only replaced the R1 resistor. Now she boots up and plays/tests normally! Next one to go might be that piggy-backed resistor at R5

There are a few bulbs out, and a couple finicky drop targets but we'll get that sorted. I'll give it some more plays and search out other bugs before we dive deep into a shop job

PXL_20211202_190224850 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190224850 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211202_190236729 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190236729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211202_190241397 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190241397 (resized).jpg

#2501 2 years ago

Once you build and install the awesome replacement LED displays, you can pull the fuse and never use the high voltage section again.
My high volatege section caught fire lol, but since its not used any more, I just clipped off all the components after installing the new displays.

The displays on this machine look good, but the LED replacements are tempting.

#2510 2 years ago

On to my next issue... I'll start troubleshooting it tonight, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone has had a similar issue.

I am experiencing an issue on Farfalla where after a playing normally for a little while, the game randomly semi-shuts down. The playfield controlled lamps, displays, and coils go dead. GI stays on. And then it just stays like that. Even if I power the game off and come back and turn it back on, it stays like this.

Seems like maybe something is going on with the power driver, but not sure. Any initial thoughts?

PXL_20211206_223121582 (resized).jpgPXL_20211206_223121582 (resized).jpg

#2511 2 years ago

^ Not sure if the missing battery may have played a role, but I attached a remote battery pack and gave it a few flips and it played through without failing. TBD if the issue persists.

#2515 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

my time machine has started doing something similar. I have a feeling the PS board is getting weak voltages. Check your fuse clips. Push on each fuse. I bet one is getting fatigued.

Interesting. I actually did replace all of the fuse clips on the power board (some were a bit corroded), so I should be safe there. I still experienced the issue sporadically after I installed the new clips. But haven't had it happen since I installed the CPU battery, for whatever that's worth. Though it's only been a day. I've also been noodling around in the backbox and removing/checking connectors, etc. so who knows... maybe I set something straight without knowing it.

#2517 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and you redid the pin connector on the lower right corner? Those always have to have new headers.

I didn't replace it but I did reflow the solder to make sure the connections were solid. I plan to replace the IDC connector housing with a crimp-n-stuff as well, but haven't yet.

#2519 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

replace that header. It's a critical common fail point. New molex, trifucate pins, and new header. It's the first thing I do on any zac I get in.

Roger that, thanks for the knowledge.

Please do advise if you have any other common points of Zac maintenance I may want to address preemptively. Cheers!

#2523 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

If you have the machine shutting down it may concern the power failure signal.
Sometimes C9 can also be a source of problems.
It's a small 1uf capacitor under the heat-sink.

I will make a note, thanks for the heads up.

1 week later
#2530 2 years ago

Nice one! I am going to put LEDs in mine as well. Do the Zacs accept LEDs without modification?

#2538 2 years ago

I did finish up a deep clean on my Farfalla yesterday, and replaced all the bulbs with Comet 1SMD warm whites. They all work, but I get some flicker on the inserts as CaptainNeo mentioned. I will try some other bulbs I have on hand, but I would be curious to know what kind of bulbs are being used that don't flicker.

1 week later
#2554 2 years ago

Can anybody explain what the appropriate bumper lamp behavior on Farfalla should be? I get two bumper lamps coming on at a time, which seems purposeful. But a third glows dimly (new bulbs, good socket), so unsure if it is supposed to be on or not. Appreciate any insight. Cheers!

#2556 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Finally finished my Farfalla and made a video to show the game play and LED bulbs in action:

Regarding the bumpers, they switch on in pairs and the pair changes when the upper contact under the upper playfield is hit.
PS
I have one bumper which has a contact problem and unfortunately it's the one under the upper playfield which means, I should remove the all playfield to fix it and for the moment I have totally no time to do it

Oh sweet, thanks for the video. That helps. I will give that a look and see if I can get it working proper.

1 month later
#2593 2 years ago

Has anybody tried eliminating LED flicker in controlled lamps by adding a resistor to the socket? I'm going to experiment with this today a bit, but thought I'd ask.

#2595 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I only use incandescents in inserts.

Yeah, just curious if anyone has tried and had success.

#2598 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Did you try the LED bulbs I indicated some time before?
If you watch the video I published some time ago I have no flickering on my Farfalla.

I haven't tried them yet, no. But I will give them a run at some point

#2601 2 years ago

Im using Comet 2smd frosted sunlight LED's on every single bulb in my Farfalla (except the move ramp bulb in the blue drops, its a special bulb) and have no ghosting or flickering.

Interesting. I tried Comet 2SMD Warm White and I get flickering.

They might be 1SMD, actually. Now I have to go check

#2602 2 years ago

Also, can anyone confirm for me what transistors drive the pop bumper lamps on Farfalla? I can't read the number on the schematic scan I have.

A pair of the lamps in my pops aren't working. One is very dull, the other has no light.

Appreciate it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockwell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome?tu=rockwell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.