player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider remembermom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2267 3 years ago

Hello Zaccaria fans, I've been working on a Devil Riders for a friend and I've been running into an issue where the game consistently resets whenever I try to start a game.

For context on the game's repair history: It's recently had board repairs done and (in theory) the boards were in working shape when we got them back, but then a few playfield fuses and driver transistors blew due to coil wiring and diode issues. After fixing that, I was briefly able to play a full game in between instances where it'd randomly enter the coil/display tests mid-game, or occasionally continuously reset after exiting the test mode (one time it also fired several coils at once on each reset).

Right now, all the coils work fine in the coil test with no resets, and I went in and set all the game settings to be safe. I also measured a few test points on the power board (TP2: 12.55V, TP3: 5.78V, TP5: 40.5V, TP7: 4.94V), and the only one that immediately stood out to me was that TP4 rose from 4.8VDC in attract mode to 5.7VDC just before resetting. TP3/7 don't seem to change, I haven't measured TP1/TP6 yet.

Does anyone have any pointers on where to look next/what the culprit might be for this reset issue?

#2275 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

It's really difficult to help you on this issue but I give you two tracks to follow:
In some case, the reset circuit on the Power board can be faulty, this is managed by the LM339, 3 transistors and some other components, sometimes the CAP C9 is defective and needs to be replaces. It's the small 1uf next the rectifiers.
The Devil riders has a very dangerous contact lead next the the main flipper mechanisms that can get in contact with the metallic parts.
If the contact lead shorts there, you may damage the switch matrix circuit but from what you describe, the game works properly and only resets from time to time therefore I really don't think this may be the source of the problem.
I would therefore verify the power board and the 5v in order to be sure that it's in good conditions, you can try to replace the big 5v rectifier P2 and test the 10.000uf capacitor in order to verify that it is still in good shape.
Verify also that the Fuse clips are in good conditions.
enjoy!

Thanks for the fast response! I tried to do some poking around yesterday:

- I think I found the contacts near the flippers you were talking about, it looks like the previous owner put some electrical tape around it so it wouldn't short.

- I tried probing the 5V line with a meter a bit more thoroughly, it stays pretty solid at 5.7V (assumingly still in spec?) and doesn't seem to change much when resets happen. I'd like to mention again that the game consistently resets/acts strange whenever I try and start a game, though yesterday it's decided that "resetting" can also mean just locking up, among other things. Tripping the coin switch now also causes resets for some reason (but said switch works fine in the switch test, I've been using the service switch to start games up until now).

- I also tried probing the power supply's reset circuit's output with a meter and a logic probe. It seems like it sometimes goes low when a reset happens. I'll try replacing C9 to see if that changes anything, then potentially the other parts in the 5V circuit you mentioned failing that. Thanks again!

#2283 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

C9 can cause random resets
If the CPU reacts strangely depending on which contact is activated you may have a Switch Matrix problem, IC38 is most of the times the responsible.

Tried testing (but haven't gotten a chance to replace yet) C9, my multimeter reads it as .9uF. My meter isn't a super fancy cap tester in fairness, so I could try replacing C9 anyways. I'll keep troubleshooting IC38 in mind, I don't think I've noticed any other switch-specific issues yet aside from the coin switches (which oddly enough only reset the game in attract mode and not the test menus, and only occasionally cause resets after today).

After adding some wire loops to the test point holes on the power board and resetting the audits/settings, the game is back to just acting randomly when starting a game. Sometimes it'll reset, other times it'll enter the coil/display tests, and a few times fired several coils at once and blew a fuse. Another time it actually *did* start a game only to enter a coil test mid-game, while still allowing scoring/some game progression (video below). Audits in the test menu sometimes have garbage data and blank digits - maybe they're getting corrupted?

I'll keep poking around/look into actually replacing some parts. I think there's some low-level electronics demons haunting this game now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider remembermom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome?tu=remembermom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.