player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#967 6 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Anyone looking for a Robot
Putting it on sale soon for $2500

This is probably at the top of my list but I live in Texas. What sort of condition is it in?

1 year later
#1249 5 years ago

Are these something someone can mold at home possibly? My games are currently not setup so I can't look for myself and I can't really recall them from memory.

4 weeks later
#1304 4 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Well it’s my problem to solve soon enough

This was a lie. What he meant to say is it's his problem for me to solve.

Quoted from rvdv:

That’s how this is is hooked up also
Do you have a pic of the coin switches how the wires are on it
I’ve got too many loose wires

Anyone got a picture of the coin switches? I can figure out the wiring sort of but not 100%. The column wires are easy enough I'm just not sure how to wire up the row wire.

#1305 4 years ago

The diodes on the coin door might be toast. My 1n4148's are at home (which I think is what is in the machine now) but I have 1n4004's on hand. Will 1n4004's work?

#1311 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well my transformer doesn't have those 115 lugs like yours does. Just 200-220.

Thanks for replying. I was actually going to reach out to either you, david or both just to double check if play_pinball somehow got a magical unicorn. Which it seems he did.

#1319 4 years ago

Well I figured out why rvdv was having so much trouble with the front cabinet switches. Not only was the wiring all hacked up and causing matrix problems but the board also has switch matrix issues. Put together my zaccaria switch matrix tester board last night and hooked it up today. The front cabinet switches on still didn't work with the tester and one of the playfield switches was acting as test advance. Fairly confident the cabinet wiring is ok now. Just have to sort out the board and see if I have the parts on hand. Anyone got any tips for troubleshooting the switch matrix to figure out which component is bad?

#1321 4 years ago

Well I guess I don't have to troubleshoot anything yet. Pretty sure I found the problem. Now to figure out if I have this chip and what the actual part number is. Chip says 2081A while schematics say 3081.

zaccaria boom (resized).jpgzaccaria boom (resized).jpg
#1323 4 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I was gong to write you to control IC38 but you found it first.
it's a CA3081 equivalent to ULN2081

Actually just finished putting in the CA3081 replacement pcb barakandl sells (bought a 10 pack awhile back). I actually have an NTE916 I apparently bought like 20 years ago but I only have 1 and don't want to put it into a machine with questionable wiring still. Clipped the battery (shockingly no corrosion yet thank god) and put nvram in while I was at it. Was already socketed so easy.

spooky fixed cpu (resized).jpgspooky fixed cpu (resized).jpg
#1330 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Did that resolve your matrix issue? Do all switches work now? I'd love to see a gameplay vide when you get it running. This title always eluded me.

Not entirely. I overlooked that row 0 doesn't use U38. Got the board back home with me now. TR3 might be bad which is a BC548 but I don't have any of those on hand. I do have 2n2222's which I think will work. Should I use that or is there something else that might work? I have some other things but that was the first thing I saw as a possible alternative.

Hopefully U41 isn't also bad. Before I go swapping things this time I'll put the oscilliscope on it to see the signal is at least coming out of U41. Though I guess both TR3 and U38 are driven by U41 so it is probably fine.

#1332 4 years ago

I'm making this harder than I need to I think. The U38 replacement board uses 2n4401's which I have a bunch of. TR3 is just an extension of U38 since it only has 7 transistors and the board needs 8. The pinout for the 2n4401's in reversed so I just need to put it in backwards.

#1340 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there are 2 adjustment pots on the sound board. Maybe 3. They one adjusts the speed of the sound. It's slower than it should be. that needs to be adjusted.

"Needs" is a strong word. We actually think it sounds better this way, at least for now. Haven't yet played it much (I basically left once we confirmed it was working) but neither of us have heard it switch what track it is playing. In your video I think I heard it switch tracks a couple times. The version that is in the Zaccaria pack on steam doesn't change tracks either. Just plays the same thing on repeat.

Eventually I'll get the roms dumped and compare them just to make sure there's nothing different there. Could have dumped the CPU roms but didn't think about it. Though there's probably no change there.

#1344 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

And I’m in a new club officially. Heading back home with a Devil Riders in the trailer. Fun times are here again!

Now we just need a code update to your OLED display board for Zac's.

3 weeks later
#1383 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I’m going to have to report another instance of a pinitech NVRAM causing coil lockup problems. My Devil Riders was working just fine but without a battery. Swapped in the NVRAM and it started randomly locking coils on startup.
Last time I powered it up I didn’t notice a stuck pop bumper, until the coil started to melt and the board transistor blew out. My own fault it got so bad, I completely forgot to check the fuses to make sure values were correct.
Also seemed to respond a lot slower in some ways. The reaction flippers were most obvious. I wonder if the NVRAM causes issues on the data bus and this screws with the I/O circuits. I’ll have to look into the speeds on the NVRAM compared to the original style.
Unfortunately the bad coil is on the bottom left pop bumper and looks like I have to pull the upper left flipper too in order to work on it.
On a happy note I’m also starting to test some 3D printed flipper bags. Anybody have a pair of short flipper shafts? My game has Bally flippers for the main two and the top playfield just won’t be enough of a durability test.
[quoted image]

Hrm. This could explain why @play_pinball's spooky would lock on coils on power up sometimes. I wasn't even aware this was a thing

I have a new oscilloscope on the way and have the stock chip still. If I can be of assistance let me know. Might require alot of hand holding though

#1387 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

10 years ago we used a backup memory cap instead of the pinintech nvram (which wasn't created). Simple solution and scores/settings were retained for months without play(although I never had a game I didn't play for months). I installed this in place of batteries on all of my zacs.

Yup my farfalla still has the super cap and I still have some spares around somewhere. Maybe they are still good

#1395 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

All depends on what's causing the oddness. If it's mixing in ROM data to the I/O somehow, the symptoms could be game specific.
Makes me want a good logic analyzer again. One nice thing about the 2650 processor series is you can de-clock it and run them in step mode. Would be able to see what signal differences are going on. But I don't have the time or equipment to do that right now. Maybe after I hit the lotto and build that new shop.
-Hans

Would the beaglebone logic analzyer be good enough to do what needs to be done? I technically already have a beaglebone since the remakes use them. Not sure what else would be needed (i'm assuming some cape of some sort) or how much it would cost. If it were cheap enough and I could be walked through the steps of what's needed easily enough maybe I could do the leg work on the data collection portion.

https://hackaday.com/2015/02/19/turn-your-beagleboneblack-in-to-a-14-channel-100msps-logic-analyzer/

Though I don't currently have time for that so it would have to be sometime in the future. But between play_pinball and myself we have a rather large collection of gen 2 zaccaria games.

1 month later
#1417 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Yep...... jealous for sure. I've put Spooky on my wishlist but definitely not in my price range right now.
I'm about 90% done bringing my Devil Riders back to life finally. Plays just fine, and have some more LED's on the way to finish up the changeover. Though I have found out that 4 of the 5 display glasses are bad on mine. I checked all the solder joints, ohmed out the transistors and resistors, swapped them around all sorts of ways. It's just the obvious problem that I only have a single good display.
Not surprised or upset about this though. I've actually got protoype boards for LED displays sitting here. Lots of work to go before I think they're ready to install, the first version has numerous dimensional issues. Not sure how far down that particular rabbit hole I'm going to travel.
I'm also finding that the 2nd NVRAM doesn't QUITE solve the locked coils issue. I'm still getting my knocker coil firing on startup occasionally. I may still go back to standard RAM and a remote battery.
-Hans

Sounds like you need to get support for zaccaria games in your bench testing display =P

In all seriousness though do you know how far off that might be? I actually ordered some LED displays today so that I could get to bench testing some boards. Not that big of a deal since I know they will wind up in a game eventually.

play_pinball also didn't have any luck using pinitech nvram in both slots. It works *most* of the time now but sometimes still has an issue. I've got someone sending me a couple prototype nvram for zaccaria games that uses 1 chip to replace both IC4 and IC5 so we'll see how that goes.

1 week later
#1429 4 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hi Hans, I really don't get what you're are talking about.
Probably because I have already developed the LED displays for Zaccaria machines 4 years ago therefore to me all looks straight forward.
What do you mean with bench displays?

He has a "universal bench display" which is an a board with a single OLED display. On it you will see the 4 player's scores as well as the match/credit/highscore display. Currently only supports Williams System 3-7 boards.

I actually bought one of the first ones made before I realized I only had a single game it would work with. I was hoping he'd get zaccaria support at some time but thought that it wouldn't be till way later. Surprisingly it seems like that's next up. Looks like I'll be needing to ship my board back to him.

#1444 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

White would be no-problem at all. I just need to give the current process/design/material a good testing to make sure they'll survive. If I knew they would be durable enough, I could have them on my website for sale tonight in any color you wanted.
But the upper flippers on Devil Riders aren't exactly hard hitting. So I still need one more flipper shaft to install a lower pair in my game and give them a good thrashing. Haven't found any yet for sale.
-Hans

Do you know what games have special boards? I have most of the more common gen 2 games.

#1446 4 years ago

Well I can definitely get you anything you'd need for the sound daughter board for spooky but there probably isn't much demand there.

2 months later
#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I am shopping the game a bit as the rubber is dried up.
Has someone glued my bumper caps on?
I cant get them off easily.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Does anyone have covers for these bumpers? Are they even available lol?

Yikes.. Yeah it looks like someone epoxied your pop bumpers closed. No there are no replacements. You're going to have to try to find someone who's parted one out.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I used the pinitech nvram. Found I had to replace both RAM locations or weird things happened on startup. Still get an occasional locked coil on the knocker but at least its easy to hear and I can work around it.

I also had issues with the pinitech nvram. Even after replacing both RAM with nvram the game still occasionally had issues.

#1613 4 years ago

Just when I was getting confident in my 36 year old displays...
I lost a segment:
[quoted image]
It it time to get all new led kits?
My displays are only 2 generations old now

Pretty sure this is likely something on the board and not a display glass issue. So should be repairable.

#1618 4 years ago

Great. I'll check it out.

When I got my farfalla all of the displays had the exact same segments out. Turns out something in its life before i got it something shorted out and took out ic3 I believe.

If somehow yours is the same I would suggest you get someone skilled at soldering to fix it. Pretty sure when I did mine I lifted quite a few pads.

#1657 4 years ago

If your issue is similar to HHaase's you're probably best off sending the board to someone to be repaired. David Gersic is the main Zaccaria repair person.

#1663 4 years ago

It looks like the neon tube is 3/8" from the photo?
Can anyone verify the diameter for my replacement neon?
I need to know before I order it.
I'm getting 2 different sizes from pinside:
3/8" or 1/2"
And they are in millimeters.
So 10mm or 12mm?
I'm thinking 10mm after looking at the photo!

Picked up a new set of calipers today so took a measurement of the neon tube on my Farfalla since the backglass was already out. The calipers read 12.11mm but I didn't try to get it real tight since they were metal.

1 month later
#1712 4 years ago

Here is a page describing the power fail circuit from the power supply.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/powersupply.html#PowerFail

2 months later
#1834 4 years ago

If the 5v is low there is likely something pulling it down. I would work to first see if you can find what that is and why.

#1836 4 years ago

Start by unplugging everything from the power board except the wires from the transformer. Check the voltages with everything disconnected... If it's still low the problem is on the power supply board and you should probably rebuild it. If it's not still low then there is a problem with another board.

4 weeks later
#1887 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

everything. I've built up a fairly big zac parts stash over the years

I'm sure there's other stuff I'd like but do you happen to have a gen2 transformer with the voltage selector so you don't have to retap things? I'm guessing not since you have at least 1 step down converter on your games.

4 months later
#2084 3 years ago

If you end up selling the clown or magic castle please contact me. Those are 2 I am still looking for.

1 month later
#2172 3 years ago

So what are people using for keying connectors on the power supply if they have to rebuild a connector? I don't think they make the long key pins that zaccaria used on the ends. My current idea is to have 2 empty pins on each side of the connector and put keypins in them. Not sure what else I could do.

#2175 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they make double sided keys for connectors. If I run out, I used to just glue a toothpick in the extra spot on the connector.

Got a link to them or know the proper name? I can't find them on mouser or digikey

#2177 3 years ago

Thank you. I tried looking for that but there was no mention of boss. Both the datasheet and preview had the wrong picture too

4 weeks later
#2192 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I thought they just removed the high voltage section, but it's more than that. Something else is different as well.

According to the page there's a jumper to provide power to the displays that's been added. Have you tried using a regular board with that jumper?

2 weeks later
#2202 3 years ago

The shipping prices seem quite high to me.

#2204 3 years ago

So I'm trying to resurrect a pinball champ. The flippers are active even when not in a game. If I'm not mistaken it should be controlled by the relay under the playfield. The wires match the flipper coil wires and tone out. The relay is never engaged. Neither when power is turned on nor when the start button is pressed. I manually engaged it thinking maybe it controlled the upper flippers but that doesn't appear to be the case. There's 40v on all 6 of the contacts on the relay which doesn't seem right.

This game has had some creative wiring done to it in a few places that I'm fixing. I'm thinking that perhaps the relay stopped engaging and someone bypassed it? I haven't found it if so. Anyone got any other ideas before I go nuts trying to trace the wiring.

#2206 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what was hacked in the wiring? Check out the flipper wires on the plugs to the boards, make sure they are going where they are suppose to. Schematics are good at showing you alll the connectors, and what wires should be where. Make sure everything is where it suppose to be on the board side of things.

A lot of the coin door wiring has been cut for unknown reasons. There was a lone short red wire soldered to the left flipper button but it was just dangling.. no idea where that would have been connector or why. CN1 on the power board had the last 2 pins completely cooked and someone had soldered wires to the back of the board and used wire nuts to connect to the transformer. First thing I fixed was CN1 and CN4 because it was cooked too. Only thing connected to CN4 in PC is the controlled lamps though.

There is no power at CN5 pin 1 ever. This is the pin that goes to SCR64 which controls turning on the flippers. So somehow the flippers are getting power even though there's no power at SCR64. So there *must* be something I'm missing that's been hacked up unless I'm completely misunderstanding how things are supposed to work.

In light of the relays being suspect I've been trying to find an alternate. David suggests using G6RN-1A DC48 but I'd like to find something that requires either no modification of board or at least less modification. I've been unable to find anything else on mouser though so perhaps there still isn't anything better

#2209 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hello,
have you disconnected the CN16 from the driver board?
If the flippers do not activate with CN16 disconnected then the problem comes from the driver board and not from the relays
Normally when relays are dead they do not fire the flippers so it looks a bit weird to me that they could be the source of the problem.
Relay are discontinued so you won't find them on the market.
If they have been by-passed then you first need to find the hacks, then verify that SCR64 works correctly.
Do you hear the relay activating when you switch the machine ON?
Lots of things to check before buying something new.
Gianfri

Hello Gianfri and thank you for replying. There is no power on the opposite side of the relays that go to SCR64 as far as I can tell. Checked at CN16 and the power supply side of that connection as well. I think somehow both relays bit the dust and someone has bypassed them as even without that power the flippers are on as soon as you turn the game on. I've been unable to find where power has been tapped in though yet. Going to scour the wiring in the next couple of days (probably not today) and see if i can't find it. Then I'll put in a different power supply board I have.

2 weeks later
#2220 3 years ago

nevermind

2 months later
#2310 3 years ago

I got my prototype power supply from gianfri along with a bunch of other goodies I ordered from him on friday. Put the powersupply in Pinball Champ yesterday and my flipper problem seems to be solved. So the relays on the original board are definitely dead I think. I need to fix the coindoor wiring and hopefully that's all that's left.

I really like the new power supply. Lots of diagnostic lights on it. Will save lots of time troubleshooting things

2 months later
#2358 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

There's likely some nuance with which RAM chip is used, how certain parts of the schematic are done, and things of that nature. It does seem that if you use a single NVRAM board that goes into both RAM locations may be the superior option.
I do know that when I had my Devil Riders, using a single NVRAM caused nearly 100% coil locking on startup. Particularly one specific pop bumper locked every time. Going with NVRAM in both locations dramatically reduced the amount of lockups, but it did still happen on an occasional basis. Going back to standard RAM eliminated the lockups completely. I think it may Kris Bliznick who was able to replicate the issue on his own Devil Riders with identical symptoms, down to the same locking coils.

This same thing was seen on @play_pinball's Spooky. We put one of @gianfri's dual modules in and it helped a lot. Checking with play_pinball but I think there may have not been any issues at all after switching. I believe it's still in his game. He'll check later tonight when he's at home (if he remembers)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome?tu=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.