player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fat-johnny.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1652 4 years ago

Hi. My name is John, and I am from Cleveland, Ohio (USA). I came across this site from a Google search.

I have a Zaccaria Devil Riders (1984), and it recently started having a problem. When I turn it on, the playfield lights and back glass lights turn on OK, but the game does not start. The score displays just flash on and off, about once per second.

I opened the head, and I don’t see anything obviously burnt or exploded. There IS a RED LED on the board on the top left that flashed in time with the displays, about once per second.

I have found some resources online that tell me to disconnect all plugs except plug #1 from the power supply board (lower right), and check fuses and voltages, so I think I am going to start there in the next day or two…..but I was just wondering if yall experts had any obvious advice for me. Like “Oh yeah, flashing once per second, it’s definitely THIS…”

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to learn a lot here. (Well…..at least enough to fix my Devil Riders!!)

Thanks,
John

PS….or does anybody know anyone in the Cleveland, OH area that fixes Zaccaria pinballs?

1 month later
#1711 4 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

Hi. My name is John, and I am from Cleveland, Ohio (USA). I came across this site from a Google search.
I have a Zaccaria Devil Riders (1984), and it recently started having a problem. When I turn it on, the playfield lights and back glass lights turn on OK, but the game does not start. The score displays just flash on and off, about once per second.
I opened the head, and I don’t see anything obviously burnt or exploded. There IS a RED LED on the board on the top left that flashed in time with the displays, about once per second.
I have found some resources online that tell me to disconnect all plugs except plug #1 from the power supply board (lower right), and check fuses and voltages, so I think I am going to start there in the next day or two…..but I was just wondering if yall experts had any obvious advice for me. Like “Oh yeah, flashing once per second, it’s definitely THIS…”
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help. I hope to learn a lot here. (Well…..at least enough to fix my Devil Riders!!)
Thanks,
John
PS….or does anybody know anyone in the Cleveland, OH area that fixes Zaccaria pinballs?

OK, quoted above just to refresh you of my situation. So I DID end up measuring the voltages, and all seemed to be good. So that led me to think it was my CPU board, so I went ahead and ordered "CPU board 1B1165/evo for G2 pinball machines" from pinballsoultions

https://www.pinballsolutions.eu/product/new-zaccaria-cpu-board-1b1165evo-for-g2-pinball-machines/

I got the board, and from the instructions, I THINK that all I had to do was:
1) Set the jumpers for Devil Riders
2) Pull the 2650 microprocessor from the old board, and install into new board
3) Install board, power up, and enjoy!

Well, I did those things, powered up, and pretty much the same thing. Displays are still flashing zeroes. Awesome.......

Looking at the diagnostic LED's on the new board:
5V lit up solid green
INT lit up solid green
RES flashes red
RUN flashes green
DMA flashes green, but occasionally latches ON green for 3-5 seconds.....then goes back to flashing green
WDG is off (dark)

The documentation included with the board says I might have the "power fail signal active from the power board, check the power board"

What am I doing wrong?? Where can I start to look??
Please save my Christmas! <lol>
Thanks for your help,
FJ

#1713 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Here is a page describing the power fail circuit from the power supply.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/powersupply.html#PowerFail

I have seen one source say that in some machines, previous repair people have cut the white wire responsible for this power fail signal, and that allows the game to boot. Do you think it is worthwhile or advisable to cut the white wire, and see what happens?? Can you give me someplace to start looking, such as "diode D9 always fails" or something?? Any thoughts on what this could be? Does anybody even sell a replacement power supply board??

Thanks for any help,
FJ

1 month later
#1754 4 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I give a quick option if you look for components to replace, replace C9 near the heat sink, most of the times he is responsible for power failure.
Power failure circuit depends on power inputs, the LM339, the 3 transistors around it and some other components.
Removing the white cable is not a good idea if you're not sure about what you do, but it clearly removes the power failure signal.

Back to update yall. I replaced C9, still not working. Did some Googling and internet research, and it led me here: http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/mc/mcelectronicseng.htm

So using this site, and Gianfri's suggestion, I looked into replacing the three transistors in that circuit. TR4, TR5, and TR6. On that site, the guy says that he replaced them and his started working, and he noted that his TR4 was the same value as TR5 and TR6....when it should not have been. Well, looking at mine, all three on mine were the same too! All three were BC337. Threes no evidence of fresh solder or any rework....so maybe they came like that from the factory?

I ordered some new BC337, and tried sourcing a new B323. The B323 is not easy to find, but I did find two on Ebay that I had shipped from England (I am in Ohio, USA).

I desoldered the three transistors, and soldered in the three new ones.....and the power board is now working!

Now to start cleaning and replacing rubbers.
FJ

1 month later
#1813 4 years ago

I’m in the process of trying to clean up my Devil Riders, and replace the rubbers. A lot of the rubbers at the top of the playfield are underneath the “Devil Rider” elevated playfield.

Any tips, tricks, or walk-throughs of removing the elevated playfield so I can get to the rubbers below?

9 months later
#2219 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hello Zac lovers,
I promised I would have posted a new video with the new Zaccaria power board, here a small teaser with the prototype which I'm running on my Devil Riders since 2 months now:

Cheers
Gianfri

Hey Gianfri, I seen this was posted 40 days ago. Any ETA on the release of this power board, and also an approx price? My Devil Riders is acting up again, and I already replaced a few components once. I think I want to try just replacing the power board.

Please let me know,
Thanks!

5 months later
#2398 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I have got enough offers for testing the power board so for the moment I close the orders for this revision, I'll ship them out in the next weeks and get feedback before proceeding with a much bigger production.
Really thanks to all of you for the continuous support.
Gianfri

Hey Gianfri, any update on that power board? I have a Devil Rider that I troubleshot once, and replaced a bunch of components on the power board. It worked OK for a month or two, and now it's back to doing the same thing: all light blinking and the machine never boots up to operational. What I would give for a power board and just end thsi problem once and for all.

Please let me know,
FJ

4 months later
#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

Hey Gianfri, any update on that power board? I have a Devil Rider that I troubleshot once, and replaced a bunch of components on the power board. It worked OK for a month or two, and now it's back to doing the same thing: all light blinking and the machine never boots up to operational. What I would give for a power board and just end this problem once and for all.
Please let me know,
FJ

Hey @gianfri, any chance of selling the power board again? I could REALLY use one. I posted this a while back, and got no reply.

Please advise,
Thanks,
FJ

#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hello, I have the last board in stock which is already reserved and we are working on the Rev B which should be available by end of the year.
Can you wait?

gianfri yes, I can wait. You say "end of the year", which is only about ~6 weeks. Let me know if there is any way I can get on a waiting list, or even pre-pay, or what I need to do to get the board in my hands the earliest possible.

Thanks,
FJ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhorn, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fat-johnny.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome?tu=fat-johnny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.