player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg
There are 3,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 70.
#2901 1 year ago

Does anyone happen to have a spare Zaccaria coil: 50 V.D.C. D. 45 - S. 1000

It looks like a Williams 25-1000 may work but I would prefer to get the correct Zaccaria coil.

I am missing one of these coils and the two L shaped brackets that hold it in place.

#2902 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

Have a few questions on a Zaccaria Time Machine: Game seems to play correctly and adds bonus time during the third ball. However when you lose the third ball the the game switches to "Down" but never starts counting down, so the game never ends. Great for getting a high score, but like to know how to fix this problem. Other question is on the "Platform" where is it suppose to be when you start a game? The platform on this game changes position with each ball played. No stuck switches in the self-test. Is this a programming problem or am I missing something?

sounds like your ram is glitched. Go through all your settings with DIP switch number 4 on. Change every single setting. Even if it's on the one you want, cycle through back to the number you want. After you get past setting 37. Turn Dip switch 4 back off, and see if that fixes the problem.

This is of course, if you have either Memory cap, or NVram on your game to hold settings.

#2903 1 year ago

Got to bragg a bit - my farfalla won best game @ Dory Hill last weekend!
Thx to all that voted!

20220910_222319 (resized).jpg20220910_222319 (resized).jpg20220911_195203 (resized).jpg20220911_195203 (resized).jpg
#2904 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestion CaptainNeo, will give that a try next week and let you know if it solved the problem.

#2905 1 year ago

Has anyone had an issue where the cpu locks on solenoids.

I am working on a Magic Castle (power supply fixed and interface board fixed). Using a working CPU I am able to play a game and everyting works as it should.
When I install the original CPU the machine boots although at least 3 solenoids turn on and stay on. Has anyone seen this before as i am not sure where to start looking with this one. I am new to Zaccaia so still finding my way around these boards.

#2906 1 year ago

Did you install NVRAM on the original board? Certain brands do not play nice with Zacc boards and cause lock ons like that.

#2907 1 year ago

yes, NVram or bad ram can cause random lock ons. Clear out the settings like I told pinballdr. Sometimes that helps too.

#2908 1 year ago

btw, for those using NVram. If you are using the one that only uses the socketed RAM on the board. It will not work. Zacs have 2 ram chips that work together. (one socketed, and one next to it not socketed). If you are trying to use NVram, you have to use the Brinks version made for zacs. Which replaces both Ram chips to one NV chip. If you are using the single socket one, that causes all the problems you guys are experiencing. I'd done it first hand.

#2909 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

btw, for those using NVram. If you are using the one that only uses the socketed RAM on the board. It will not work. Zacs have 2 ram chips that work together. (one socketed, and one next to it not socketed). If you are trying to use NVram, you have to use the Brinks version made for zacs. Which replaces both Ram chips to one NV chip. If you are using the single socket one, that causes all the problems you guys are experiencing. I'd done it first hand.

Not sure what the Brinks version is but Gianfri at pinball solutions also has one that works great!

#2910 1 year ago

didn't know gainfri made one. Is it double socket?

Brinks made NVram for zacs, long before anyone was doing NV ram for pins. When it was very early. They work very good. The headers are fragile, but work great.

#2911 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Brinks made NVram for zacs, long before anyone was doing NV ram for pins. When it was very early. They work very good. The headers are fragile, but work great.

Yep, double socket and works great.

#2912 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Did you install NVRAM on the original board? Certain brands do not play nice with Zacc boards and cause lock ons like that.

I have not installed NVRAM although I have replaced IC 5 due to battery damage. Maybe I will try another 2114 in there jiust incase it is bad.

#2913 1 year ago

I have just tried another 2114 and have the same issue.
Is there another part of the hors I should be looking at. I have checked the 3081’s and they measure ok as I have seen these hold solenoids on a early SS Bally. Can the 4028’s cause any issues.

#2914 1 year ago

if you had battery acid damage, I think you have more damaged than just that socket. It gets everywhere. And if it was on the legs of the other chips, it grows into the chip leg, up and into the plastic casing of the IC. Causes all kinds of random shit to happen.

#2915 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you had battery acid damage, I think you have more damaged than just that socket. It gets everywhere. And if it was on the legs of the other chips, it grows into the chip leg, up and into the plastic casing of the IC. Causes all kinds of random shit to happen.

Ok thanks. I will look for a replacement 6514 and will remove/replace the socket.

#2916 1 year ago

check all components hardcore for white powder.

#2917 1 year ago

Any Aussies looking for a farfalla or a earth wind and fire let me know

#2918 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Since almost five years now

For the single NVRAM I still have it in my Time Machine and I never had problems with it, still a mystery why, where and when these locks happen.

#2919 1 year ago

50% of my single ram styles, create random problems. Brinks only had 1 bad one out of 20.

#2920 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

50% of my single ram styles, create random problems. Brinks only had 1 bad one out of 20.

And if I'm not mistaken the 50% which gave you problems are not produced by me.

#2921 1 year ago
Quoted from gianfri:

And if I'm not mistaken the 50% which gave you problems are not produced by me.

yeah, I never used your NVram yet. Have your single socket versions had issues?

#2922 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yeah, I never used your NVram yet. Have your single socket versions had issues?

not from what I know but never say never.
If the problem is related on the product design it may be that our design is not affected, if the problem is related to the difference on the chip speed then it could affect all similar products, as I said, I'm not aware of problems related to my modules but I cannot exclude any possible strange behavior.

Said that, NVRAMs is not our preferred domain, it's just a way to offer that kind of solution to our customers but we don't push for it.

#2923 1 year ago

I have acquired a Pool Champion
In the manual it says there are no Rom jumpers on the CPU board
Is this correct?
Cheers

#2924 1 year ago
Quoted from zacman:

I have acquired a Pool Champion
In the manual it says there are no Rom jumpers on the CPU board
Is this correct?
Cheers

Of course you have them

if your machine has the original roms you have a 2532 on IC1 and a 2764 on IC2
jumpers must be set like indicated in the schematics book
IC1: J2-C; J3-E
IC2: J5-H; J6-I; J7-K; J8-L

Cheers

#2925 1 year ago

if you burn the double chip ROms, all the jumpers are the same on every MPU board. I did this on purpose, so all my machines were the same when swapping boards for troubleshooting.

#2926 1 year ago

@robotworkshop, did you find a coil yet?

#2927 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

Robotworkshop, did you find a coil yet?

I did! A friend had a spare Williams 25-1000 coil. That was the one listed as a cross and it had similar resistance. The main bracket was there but the coil mounting brackets (L shaped) were missing. I was able to use a pair of those and a short upkick plunger out of a trashed Stargate. That part if fixed!

Still have lots of work to do on the games. Working on sound boards now and then need to do some power board and switching supply work.

#2928 1 year ago

I should have an original, but would need to do some digging thru boxes to find it.

#2929 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

I should have an original, but would need to do some digging thru boxes to find it.

Some of the trickier pieces I am looking for are for the Mr Game machines that came right after Zaccaria and used many of those parts:

- Plastic stationary upright target. (one if broken)
- Plastic cabinet shells for the flipper buttons (may be able to 3D print replacements)
- Extra Power supply board (as-is would be fine) as I have one to rebuild
- Switching Power supply that is used for the monitor power and video board (going to try recapping the PS)
- Credit/Start button

Ant other random parts. Asked about the coils first since those are Zaccaria parts.

#2930 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Some of the trickier pieces I am looking for are for the Mr Game machines that came right after Zaccaria and used many of those parts:

- Plastic stationary upright target. (one if broken)
- Plastic cabinet shells for the flipper buttons (may be able to 3D print replacements)
- Extra Power supply board (as-is would be fine) as I have one to rebuild
- Switching Power supply that is used for the monitor power and video board (going to try recapping the PS)
- Credit/Start button

Sorry, don't have any of these parts, but did find the D45-S1000 coil if you want an original.

1 week later
#2931 1 year ago

Hello friends! I'm finally in the club with a Farfalla. I promise I will go through the entire thread when I get a chance but I had a few quick questions I'm hoping someone is willing to get me a short answer on. I have read the manual and pinrepair.com article.

Is it recommended to replace the giant caps on the power supply? I usually do day 1 cap kits on my other classics. Are there kits available or do I need to piece them together at mouser / digikey?

Are there any other "day one" recommended pieces of maintenance, or back-up parts to get that are uncommon to the other classics? Those ribbon cables scare me and I imagine they're not abundantly available if at all. It does seems like everything is running as it should thus far at least.

The gentleman who sold it to me said he believed it had a freeplay "personality chip" installed. Is there a resource for these chips? If it's unable to go on coin drop I may want to get it replaced as there's a possibility I'll put it out at one of my locations for others to enjoy some day.

Thanks, I'm starting on page 1 and will see you guys back here

#2932 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Are there any other "day one" recommended pieces of maintenance

The fuse holder clips on the power board are usually badly corroded. Replace with new if they haven't been replaced yet.
Watch out for corroded batteries on the MPU board.

Quoted from Chalkey:

The gentleman who sold it to me said he believed it had a freeplay "personality chip" installed. Is there a resource for these chips? If it's unable to go on coin drop I may want to get it replaced as there's a possibility I'll put it out at one of my locations for others to enjoy some day.

Freeplay ROMs are available here: see the readme for how to disable freeplay mode.
http://zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/index.html

#2933 1 year ago

you can turn free play on and off. I think it's setting 30?

Also , the bottom right connector on nearly every PS board, needs to be repinned with new connector and header if it hasn't been already.

#2934 1 year ago

I confirm that to verify if you have freeplay roms it's enough to set Setting 30 to 1, if it plays with zero credits than you have it.
To disable the free play you just set 30 back to 0

It's very rare that the big 10000uf caps need to be replaced, it's extremely high quality stuff.
On the other hand the big rectifiers as well as the fuse holders are often old and tired.

#2935 1 year ago

Badass. Thanks yall!

#2936 1 year ago

gianfri Is there a the common symptom that make you suspect that a bridge rectifier is tired?
Low coil power?

Besides complete failure obviously.

#2937 1 year ago

Hi, I'm also a member!

I currently have Farfalla, Robot, Pinball Champ 82 & Spooky (plus a couple of project pinball champs). All available to play at the Pinball Republic Club in London UK.

Three of these can be seen on the recent Backhand Pinball stream of the UK Open classics division.

#2938 1 year ago
Quoted from albianto:

gianfri Is there a the common symptom that make you suspect that a bridge rectifier is tired?
Low coil power?
Besides complete failure obviously.

Generally easy to see on faint lamps and coils, I generally replace all three ones when I decide to intervene.

2 weeks later
#2939 1 year ago

Often on Space Shuttle you can hit the drops directly and they won't drop. It's as if you hit them so hard then bounce back into position so fast they don't have time to drop.

Is this common?

Also any idea what pitch these gen1 zacs were intended to be at? i jacked mine up to 6.5 ish and space shuttle is so brutally fast but I wonder if it was meant to be floaty?

#2940 1 year ago

CaptainNeo, update on Zaccaria Time Machine: Game seems to play correctly and adds bonus time during the third ball. However when you lose the third ball the the game switches to "Down" but never starts counting down, so the game never ends. Reprogram the game several times and still has the same problem, it switches to the Down mode, but the timer never starts. I even removed the roms and clean the pin and still has the same problem. Also the edge connectors are clean. Any other suggestions?

#2941 1 year ago

Does anyone in the St. Louis area have a Time Machine game? I would like to try my CPU in a different game to make sure the problem is on the CPU board.

#2942 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballDr:

CaptainNeo, update on Zaccaria Time Machine: Game seems to play correctly and adds bonus time during the third ball. However when you lose the third ball the the game switches to "Down" but never starts counting down, so the game never ends. Reprogram the game several times and still has the same problem, it switches to the Down mode, but the timer never starts. I even removed the roms and clean the pin and still has the same problem. Also the edge connectors are clean. Any other suggestions?

Not sure this is it, but I believe the timer stops when you are "back in time" and only counts down when you are "foward in time". (I may have those mixed up)

#2943 1 year ago

I always have game time bonus turned off on all my games, so I don't know how the original behavior is suppose to happen.

#2944 1 year ago

Gametime bonus on the third ball of gen2 games should count down and stop when the ball hits the trough, gets put back into play and count down continues to go down. rinse repeat until timer is 0 and flippers freeze, ball drains and game ends. Maybe a setting in the rom needs to be changed? Setting gametime bonus in setup #31 should be 01. Aside from that I can't see any other setting that matters. maybe set it to 00 to turn off game time bonus and see if the game ends correctly then flip it on again and see what happens.

Quoted from PinballDr:

#2945 1 year ago

if time machine can freeze game time bonus, maybe the game doesn't know you are in the future, or you are starting Game time bonus in the past? It's been so long since I had GTB on, I dont' remember TM having the ability to stop time. But would make sense

#2946 1 year ago

I confirm that Time Machine freezes the time bonus countdown when the playfield goes down to future and starts again as soon as the playfield goes up again for any kind of reason.

#2947 1 year ago

Are there flipper rebuild kits avaialbe for Zaccaria's. Looking to rebuild some on a Magic Castle although I am not able to find anything at the usual on line parts suppliers.

#2948 1 year ago

No need for a kit. Take it apart, clean the plunger. Clean the stop, put a new sleeve in, and put back together. Just like new.

#2949 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No need for a kit. Take it apart, clean the plunger. Clean the stop, put a new sleeve in, and put back together. Just like new.

Ok. Thanks I will give that a go.

#2950 1 year ago

Just wanted to drop a thank-you/recommendation/rave/etc. (not that all you need it at this point!) for the PinballSolutions boards.

Took less than a week to get a new power board from Belgium to powering up a now very happy Farfalla in Minnesota. gianfri - wow dude. What a service you are providing all of us - thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhorn, WI
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 70.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome/page/59?hl=martymart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.