player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg
There are 3,465 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 70.
#2451 2 years ago
Quoted from INSATANSSEAT:

Does anyone else get chills down their spine when they look at a Spooky? It looks like a Fulci film made into a pinball. I'm a lifetime Lucio Fulci fan. That pinball almost needs to get a soundtrack mod with a board that plays an all new Fabio Frizzi soundtrack. He was born in Bologna.

Spooky doesnt bother me, Its the Clowns one that is freaky as sh@t and disturbs me a lot...

#2452 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Spooky doesnt bother me, Its the Clowns one that is freaky as sh@t and disturbs me a lot...

#2453 2 years ago

My creepy trio
34D53F8F-ADBB-4290-B81D-E61BE4E75839.jpeg34D53F8F-ADBB-4290-B81D-E61BE4E75839.jpeg
it is also coincidentally the 1-year anniversary of my Clown acquisition. Such a fun game!

#2454 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

My creepy trio
[quoted image]
it is also coincidentally the 1-year anniversary of my Clown acquisition. Such a fun game!

I have a clown in very bad conditions to restore and a Magic castle in good conditions to restore.
I miss and probably never have a Spooky

#2455 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Expanding my Zaccaria pinball collection this weekend (now have 3 Zaccaria machines) and purchased a Magic Castle from Pinsider stumptown in Portland Oregon. Excited to add this unique machine to my collection. Machine is in overall good condition and just needs a good cleaning/shop job.
[quoted image]

Glad to see it in the hands of an appreciator with time to work on it. Was gonna be a long time before I ever got around to giving it the care it needed. Looking forward to seeing its transformation in your hands

#2456 2 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Glad to see it in the hands of an appreciator with time to work on it. Was gonna be a long time before I ever got around to giving it the care it needed. Looking forward to seeing its transformation in your hands

Will post updates on it and my other ones as the process of refurbishing happens.

#2457 2 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

If the 3081 is bad that is the kind of behavior you'll see. I would wait until you get the IC replaced before messing with any of the contacts.

Frisbez - you rock! I got the 3081 replacement chips, put one in, held my breath and poof! It worked! Very happy. I obviously had to go through the reprogramming steps but once I did that, the game came to life. It’s not perfect by any means yet but a huge step in the right direction! Thanks so much! When I took the old chip out, I can see evidence of it being cooked.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

Hey Gianfri, any update on that power board? I have a Devil Rider that I troubleshot once, and replaced a bunch of components on the power board. It worked OK for a month or two, and now it's back to doing the same thing: all light blinking and the machine never boots up to operational. What I would give for a power board and just end this problem once and for all.
Please let me know,
FJ

Hey @gianfri, any chance of selling the power board again? I could REALLY use one. I posted this a while back, and got no reply.

Please advise,
Thanks,
FJ

#2459 2 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

Hey gianfri, any chance of selling the power board again? I could REALLY use one. I posted this a while back, and got no reply.
Please advise,
Thanks,
FJ

Hello, I have the last board in stock which is already reserved and we are working on the Rev B which should be available by end of the year.

Can you wait?

#2460 2 years ago

No way! So there will be replacement power supplies available from Pinball Solutions??

#2461 2 years ago

I have been considering trading my Alvin G. Punchy The Clown for a Zacc Clown project, or selling Punchy to fund getting a clown. Anyone have a Clown that isn't at it's best? I'm really loving bringing these Zaccarias back from the dead! I'll be even happier if BG Resto actually ever sends me the new glass for Soccer Kings. I haven't heard from Stephen in almost a month.

#2462 2 years ago
Quoted from Trainman15148:

Frisbez - you rock! I got the 3081 replacement chips, put one in, held my breath and poof! It worked! Very happy. I obviously had to go through the reprogramming steps but once I did that, the game came to life. It’s not perfect by any means yet but a huge step in the right direction! Thanks so much! When I took the old chip out, I can see evidence of it being cooked.
[quoted image]

Congrats on getting Locomotion up and running! I know it's an incredible feeling when the machine roars to life!

#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Hello, I have the last board in stock which is already reserved and we are working on the Rev B which should be available by end of the year.
Can you wait?

gianfri yes, I can wait. You say "end of the year", which is only about ~6 weeks. Let me know if there is any way I can get on a waiting list, or even pre-pay, or what I need to do to get the board in my hands the earliest possible.

Thanks,
FJ

#2464 2 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

gianfri yes, I can wait. You say "end of the year", which is only about ~6 weeks. Let me know if there is any way I can get on a waiting list, or even pre-pay, or what I need to do to get the board in my hands the earliest possible.
Thanks,
FJ

As soon as I have them produced I will publish a message here

No need to pre-pay.

#2465 2 years ago

No way! So there will be replacement power supplies available from Pinball Solutions??

shit happens!!!

#2466 2 years ago

Did everybody see this one come up? I like seeing machines go to collectors instead of local flippers, so here's a deal: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124232

135ec52c5585e2a23d0491c8fb3d26e7df617e19 (resized).jpg135ec52c5585e2a23d0491c8fb3d26e7df617e19 (resized).jpg
#2467 2 years ago

Does anybody have a flipper coil plunger that would work on Soccer Kings? My game's missing one and I chose to make it a harder difficulty by stealing the one from the right upper flipper nearest the shooter wireform. The one that was missing was for the attack zone flipper.

I also think I have the last issue with the game's functionality pinned down. So after you sink the ball in the attack zone(score or miss) the sound loop continues to play for about 30-40 seconds before the announcer screams "Watch the goalie!" and the machine spits the ball out of the lower elevator kickout. This coupled with the attack zone flipper always flipping during a game makes me think that there is a drain switch in the trough behind the attack zone that's not being met. I had thought they were separate issues before but all my voltages seem to be correct so I don't think a low voltage issue is causing the flipper to stutter. I think the CPU is trying to get the ball out of the attack zone because the attack zone drain switch has not been met, and it has a timer and automatically spits the lower ball out for you to continue your game even if it can never get the upper ball into the attack zone goal drain.

#2468 2 years ago

I've been trying to switch to English sound ROMs on my Time Machine for months. Marco's and Action Pinball's ROMS have proven useless. I don't know how many times my German ROMS can take removal and re-installation.

#2469 2 years ago

I've been trying to switch to English sound ROMs on my Time Machine for months. Marco's and Action Pinball's ROMS have proven useless. I don't know how many times my German ROMS can take removal and re-installation.

I downoaded sound ROMS from david's site and had astil gaming burn them for me.

Make sure you get the right ones

#2470 2 years ago

I am working on a Shooting the Rapids project. I need a system one/gen one driver board and am also looking for a pop bumper cap. I reached out to David but don't think he is doing much anymore with Zaccaria repairs/parts.

Thanks,

#2471 2 years ago

I downoaded sound ROMS from david's site and had astil gaming burn them for me.
Make sure you get the right ones

Both sets were marked "Time Machine" then "1D", "2E", and "3G". Installed properly. The Marco's units produced terrible racket. The Action Pinball units have a few working phrases but they run very slowly. "aaaaaaannnnnnnnnd nnnnnnnoooooooooowwwwwwww wwwweeeeeeeeeee sssssstaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrt" The original units work perfectly every time I put them back in. I have had someone who knows German come and listen and they said it is mostly nonsense. Between that and not being able to understand German, I've decided to go ahead and swap to English ROMs.

I'm not really happy about being out $120 for some scrap electronics.

#2472 2 years ago

Both sets were marked "Time Machine" then "1D", "2E", and "3G". Installed properly. The Marco's units produced terrible racket. The Action Pinball units have a few working phrases but they run very slowly. "aaaaaaannnnnnnnnd nnnnnnnoooooooooowwwwwwww wwwweeeeeeeeeee sssssstaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrt" The original units work perfectly every time I put them back in. I have had someone who knows German come and listen and they said it is mostly nonsense. Between that and not being able to understand German, I've decided to go ahead and swap to English ROMs.

I switched my Farfalla for Italian ROMs that I had Astil burn for me.

It was perfect, now Pinballgoddess repeats the italian call outs....!

The only think Im working on is that some call outs are covered up or shortened by system sounds that happen at the same time.

Evidently the data channel only has room for one thing at a time.

#2473 2 years ago

Assuming you have the 1B11136/0 sound board. There should be a potentiometer at P4 that can adjust the speed/pitch of the speech. P4 is in the top right corner. Sounds like the Action Pinball ROMs might work and just need that adjusted.

#2474 2 years ago

I'm finishing the restoring works on my Farfalla and one of the problems is related to the sound board.
First time it happens to me but I have replaced the sound eproms and I'm having very strange behaviors.

I need to better investigate to understand where the problem is. It looks like that sound eproms are tricky.

I would like to ask the ones with a Farfalla if they experience problems sending the ball on the upper playfield.
I have the impression that the right lower flipper doesn't have enough force to push the ball up the ramp but I would like to get some other experiences.

thanks

#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I'm finishing the restoring works on my Farfalla and one of the problems is related to the sound board.
First time it happens to me but I have replaced the sound eproms and I'm having very strange behaviors.
I need to better investigate to understand where the problem is. It looks like that sound eproms are tricky.
I would like to ask the ones with a Farfalla if they experience problems sending the ball on the upper playfield.
I have the impression that the right lower flipper doesn't have enough force to push the ball up the ramp but I would like to get some other experiences.
thanks

Its a tough shot but works pretty good on a clean hit.

Rejects from the ramp are somewhat normal

I replaced the flipper switches, rebuilt the flipper mechs, replaced the incorrect coils and cleaned up everything and its a bit better.

#2476 2 years ago

My friend keeps saying that my Time Machine flipper is weak. I keep saying that Zaccaria ramps are just a challenge. How difficult is the Time Bridge for any of you guys?

#2477 2 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Assuming you have the 1B11136/0 sound board. There should be a potentiometer at P4 that can adjust the speed/pitch of the speech. P4 is in the top right corner. Sounds like the Action Pinball ROMs might work and just need that adjusted.

Why is it perfectly set for the original German ROMs, but so far off that it sounds like something from Space Invaders with the new ones? Is P4 for voice only? I have major issues with the music and sounds as well.

#2478 2 years ago

Why is it perfectly set for the original German ROMs, but so far off that it sounds like something from Space Invaders with the new ones? Is P4 for voice only? I have major issues with the music and sounds as well.

yes, it's regulates the speeches speed only. It operates on the TMS5220

The fact that I'm having troubles with my Farfalla sound eproms is confusing me, I need to understand if it's the board then I can give you my opinion.

Regarding the Time Machine, if I target correctly the ramp, it generally goes all around the ramp otherwise it happens that the ball comes back.

#2479 2 years ago

Its a tough shot but works pretty good on a clean hit.
Rejects from the ramp are somewhat normal
I replaced the flipper switches, rebuilt the flipper mechs, replaced the incorrect coils and cleaned up everything and its a bit better.

I have seen that the flipper mechanism was missing the lock between the plastic harm and the metallic piston, I have put it and it looks a bit better but still, I have a ratio of 2/3 failures in sending the ball up.

I have already cleaned and replaced the flipper button contact.

I will replace the coil just for fun, I will see.

#2480 2 years ago

So I happened to notice when I had Time Machine in test mode that the speech sounds start first in the sound test when running the new ROMs. With the original ROMs installed, the sound effects start first. Could Action Pinball have mismarked the two larger chips?

#2481 2 years ago
Quoted from Trainman15148:

I have joined the Zaccaria owners club with the purchase of a Locomotion! That’s the good news. The bad news is that it’s an absolute mess.
It will sometimes start a game and most of the time, not. The switch matrix is all messed up. I have some switches not registering at all while other register three or four switches. I’ve been trying to figure out what it up with the switch matrix but it’s giving me fits. I’ve inspected all the switches and made adjustments as needed. All of the solenoids work in test mode but the don’t activate by the switches. Every once in awhile a pop bumper will fire correctly but generally not.
Sometimes the start button will advance the numbers in the programming mode and sometimes not. All the fuses all good. Looking for help and advice!

I bet it's in better shape than my locomotion was when I got it. If you never seen mine, I have a restoration thread on here, called Locomotion, a zaccaria love story.

#2482 2 years ago

Is there someone whou can re-touch my farfalla backglass insert?
Maybe someone who paints miniatures or something like that?
I need the typical nose and nipple wear corrected.
Or if someone ha a left-over or spare, I would like to purchase it.
As well as a NOS backglass.

Any luck in finding a repair for your insert? I have the same problem...

#2483 2 years ago

So I happened to notice when I had Time Machine in test mode that the speech sounds start first in the sound test when running the new ROMs. With the original ROMs installed, the sound effects start first. Could Action Pinball have mismarked the two larger chips?

Eprom1 and 3 are the same model while eprom2 is a 2532 so you can try to swap 1 with 3, doesn't harm anything.

#2484 2 years ago

I need some advice on how to diagnose & fix a problem with Space Shuttle. The top hole either doesn't work or the ejection is too weak for the ball to get out. I did a resistance & inductance test on the coil, and it seemed to be OK. I have a Williams brand coil I could replace it with - and I suppose that I should just replace it just to take one possible failure mode out of the equation. But if I still have this problem, how should I try to diagnose a problem on the board? If it's a bad transistor or resistor, I could replace it, but I don't know what I am doing when trying to diagnose ICs, so I would just order up a new board (probably get a new MPU while I am at it).

#2485 2 years ago

If the coil works but it’s weak perhaps it’s binding. I’d check the physical mechanism. Perhaps the sleeve is worn and the plunger is dragging. Coils heat up and bind too around the sleeve. Might have to replace the sleeve or coil.

Quoted from swampwiz:

I need some advice on how to diagnose & fix a problem with Space Shuttle. The top hole either doesn't work or the ejection is too weak for the ball to get out. I did a resistance & inductance test on the coil, and it seemed to be OK. I have a Williams brand coil I could replace it with - and I suppose that I should just replace it just to take one possible failure mode out of the equation. But if I still have this problem, how should I try to diagnose a problem on the board? If it's a bad transistor or resistor, I could replace it, but I don't know what I am doing when trying to diagnose ICs, so I would just order up a new board (probably get a new MPU while I am at it).

#2486 2 years ago

Did everybody see this one come up? I like seeing machines go to collectors instead of local flippers, so here's a deal: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124232[quoted image]

It was me! Farfalla finally showed up today, very happy to have her here.

Tried booting up quick, and has a few issues. Can add credits but not start a game. So I ran tests quick...displays: good. Switches: good. Lamp test: nada. Solenoid test: nada.

Checked the incoming voltage to the power board, and the green and white wires at CN1 are showing 0V. So I guess I'll start there. I'll take a look at the connector and the board, but seems like maybe an issue at the transformer?

In any case, super excited to be here. My first Zac.

#2487 2 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

I don't agree on replacing the CPU nor the driver board.

If you just have a coil problem I would concentrate on that.

As said before, you should be sure you don't have a mechanism problem, I had something similar on the ball launcher at out hole, a bit of WD40 on the mechanism and the problem was solved.

You may also have a bad transistor, replacing it is something easy, testing the resistor as well.
Nothing can be defective behind the darlington if you have just that coil problem so I would not waste your time checking the driver board ICs.

Check the coil and the mechanism first

#2488 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

It was me! Farfalla finally showed up today, very happy to have her here.
Tried booting up quick, and has a few issues. Can add credits but not start a game. So I ran tests quick...displays: good. Switches: good. Lamp test: nada. Solenoid test: nada.
Checked the incoming voltage to the power board, and the green and white wires at CN1 are showing 0V. So I guess I'll start there. I'll take a look at the connector and the board, but seems like maybe an issue at the transformer?
In any case, super excited to be here. My first Zac.

You clearly have a problem on the outputs.

Verify also if you have the 5v on the driver board

#2489 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

You clearly have a problem on the outputs.
Verify also if you have the 5v on the driver board

Yeah. I will give those a peek tomorrow.

I saw some of the replacement boards that you make on the pinballsolutions website, they look interesting.

#2490 2 years ago

Also, this is fun!:

PXL_20211201_193318893 (resized).jpgPXL_20211201_193318893 (resized).jpg

#2491 2 years ago

I mean, if it works...

#2492 2 years ago

Here's a dumb question...I was checking fuses in my game, and when I pulled the front fuse out of the transformer, I didn't make note of how the plug was situated in the socket. I assumed it gets plugged in with the pin going into the 115V hole, but wasn't sure since I failed to notice. Is it not the 115v option for some reason? (I am in USA).

#2493 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Also, this is fun!:
[quoted image]

I replaced my CPU board with the gianfri pinballsolutions.eu one.

I can not be happier!

Rock solid build, free play option built in, coin battery, exceptional support...

Solved all of my concerns immediately!

I even went a step further and bought the matching driver board and the replacement display boards.

The display boards were really fun to build and look FANTASTIC!

Getting the displays off the 170v circuit is a super improvement.

#2494 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Here's a dumb question...I was checking fuses in my game, and when I pulled the front fuse out of the transformer, I didn't make note of how the plug was situated in the socket. I assumed it gets plugged in with the pin going into the 115V hole, but wasn't sure since I failed to notice. Is it not the 115v option for some reason? (I am in USA).

115v is correct.

#2495 2 years ago

I replaced my CPU board with the gianfri pinballsolutions.eu one.
I can not be happier!
Rock solid build, free play option built in, coin battery, exceptional support...
Solved all of my concerns immediately!
I even went a step further and bought the matching driver board and the replacement display boards.
The display boards were really fun to build and look FANTASTIC!
Getting the displays off the 170v circuit is a super improvement.

Cool, glad to hear. I am considering upgrading to the new board(s) as well. Seems like an easy way to keep things rolling smooth for a long time. Once I can get my game fully trouble-shot, we'll see how dire the situation is...and maybe I'll have to buy one sooner rather than later

#2496 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Also, this is fun!:
[quoted image]

that's really impressive, if it works

#2498 2 years ago

I can confirm these worked to resurrect one of my Spooky’s

#2499 2 years ago

Oh sweet, I am going to order one of those up. Thanks for the links!

** And an update on my power driver issue:

I confirmed everything tied back to the transformer properly, so took the board out and did some closer examination. The fuses checked good, but some of the clips seemed suspect, so I replaced them across the board. I also reflowed solder on the CN1 header. Several of the resistors were also testing strangely. So far I've only replaced the R1 resistor. Now she boots up and plays/tests normally! Next one to go might be that piggy-backed resistor at R5

There are a few bulbs out, and a couple finicky drop targets but we'll get that sorted. I'll give it some more plays and search out other bugs before we dive deep into a shop job

PXL_20211202_190224850 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190224850 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211202_190236729 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190236729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211202_190241397 (resized).jpgPXL_20211202_190241397 (resized).jpg

#2500 2 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Oh sweet, I am going to order one of those up. Thanks for the links!
** And an update on my power driver issue:
I confirmed everything tied back to the transformer properly, so took the board out and did some closer examination. The fuses checked good, but some of the clips seemed suspect, so I replaced them across the board. I also reflowed solder on the CN1 header. Several of the resistors were also testing strangely. So far I've only replaced the R1 resistor. Now she boots up and plays/tests normally! Next one to go might be that piggy-backed resistor at R5
There are a few bulbs out, and a couple finicky drop targets but we'll get that sorted. I'll give it some more plays and search out other bugs before we dive deep into a shop job
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Once you build and install the awesome replacement LED displays, you can pull the fuse and never use the high voltage section again.

My high volatege section caught fire lol, but since its not used any more, I just clipped off all the components after installing the new displays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,465 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 70.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.