player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg
There are 3,449 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 69.
#1901 3 years ago

I have joined the club, and the forum. Just picked up today and have started to go through it. Needs a lot of TLC, but I feel it will definitely be worth it! First pinball machine I have owned. Hello from Texas!

IMG_20200425_110256 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_110256 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_110247 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_110247 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_110235 (resized).jpgIMG_20200425_110235 (resized).jpg
#1902 3 years ago
Quoted from rpk2012:

I have joined the club, and the forum. Just picked up today and have started to go through it. Needs a lot of TLC, but I feel it will definitely be worth it! First pinball machine I have owned. Hello from Texas![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The game looks to be in pretty good shape!

#1903 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The game looks to be in pretty good shape!

It is actually a little rough. Some damaged playfield plastics that I am sure will be hard to find, backglass (sourcing now), back trim broke(it appears someone broke because lack of keys), and some playfield posts that are brittle. I feel this machine sat for many many years. We will see what else I run into.

#1904 3 years ago

Heads up post for you Zac owners... I'm doing a Pinball.Center group buy ... and they typically have some Zac reproductions.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballcenter-parts-needed

#1905 3 years ago

I'm working on a PC82 with a 1b1165/0 board converted to take 2 x 2764 ROMs.
I've got it booting - with Farfalla ROMs from Gersic's site (both original and free play versions).
But the PC82 ROMs (free play 7 digits and free play 8 digits) don't boot.
Leon's test ROM says everyting is ok, RAM works, controlled lamps and sound card LED blink in rhythm with the control LED.
I'm not sure what to make of this, all electronics seem to work so perhaps it's a software issue ...

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions ?

#1906 3 years ago

Very strange, if it works with the two roms for Farfalla it must work with the two roms from PC82

There is no difference.

When you say that it doesn't boot, you mean nothing on the displays?
And with Farfalla, can you try to move around the tests with the driver board disconnected?

Have you tried to start the PC82 with the driver disconnected?

#1907 3 years ago

gianfri : Sorry I wasn't clear.

Booting on bench (5V PC PSU) :

Farfalla : LED goes on and stays on
PC82 : LED stays off (I have activity on data and address bus, so there's something going on, no address bus/data bus lines stuck, chip select looks right, reset line high then low)
Leon : Starts with blinking, triggering RAM test goes OK, goes into switch test - all switches off, setting DIP switch on shows switch light (so this is correct)

Booting in machine with driver card and sound card connected, switch connectors not connected :

Farfalla : LED on PCB stays on, displays show all zeros, LED on soundcard goes off (test button on soundcard works) - no attract lights blinking, though, unsure what's normal here
PC82 : LED on PCB stays off, displays show garbage, LED on soundcard stays on
Leon : LED on PCB blinks, controlled lights blink, LED on soundcard blinks

I tried PC82 booting with only displays, without displays, on bench ... no go.
I tried both 7-digit and 8-digit roms (machine is 8 digit).

I'm going to try to make 2764-ROMs out of the 2532 images and see if that works ...

#1908 3 years ago

Maybe you are dealing with a very early cpu board for Pinball Champ. On those, transistor TR4 is missing and the area around the J13 J14 jumpers just below the IC1 and IC2 Gameroms looks a bit different. On these boards, J13 and J14 seem to be swapped. I bumped my head against this once….

#1909 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Maybe you are dealing with a very early cpu board for Pinball Champ. On those, transistor TR4 is missing and the area around the J13 J14 jumpers just below the IC1 and IC2 Gameroms looks a bit different. On these boards, J13 and J14 seem to be swapped. I bumped my head against this once….

This is what the area looks like here. TR4 is there, but if I understand correctly J13 and J14 go to the CS-lines of the ROMs ?
I believe that using J13 as it is now ties CS1 and CS2 together and sends it to pin 22 of ROM 1 and 2.

I have modified the board using Gersic's Zeropower RAM as a guide, but used a FM1680 in the end as the Zeropower device didn't work.
I have of course moved the write line to pin 27, tied A11 and A12 on this chip to ground.

2020-04-28 17.15.33 (resized).jpg2020-04-28 17.15.33 (resized).jpg
#1910 3 years ago

perhaps this isn't working since the zeroram conversion didn't work.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/cpu-zeropower.html

Can you reverse the FM1680 conversion and use a backup memory cap instead for the battery, then try the roms? I prefered the backup memory cap for all my zacs when I had them. it was an easy way to go batteryless.

Quoted from Zigzagzag:

This is what the area looks like here. TR4 is there, but if I understand correctly J13 and J14 go to the CS-lines of the ROMs ?
I believe that using J13 as it is now ties CS1 and CS2 together and sends it to pin 22 of ROM 1 and 2.
I have modified the board using Gersic's Zeropower RAM as a guide, but used a FM1680 in the end as the Zeropower device didn't work.
I have of course moved the write line to pin 27, tied A11 and A12 on this chip to ground.[quoted image]

#1911 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

perhaps this isn't working since the zeroram conversion didn't work.
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/cpu-zeropower.html
Can you reverse the FM1680 conversion and use a backup memory cap instead for the battery, then try the roms? I prefered the backup memory cap for all my zacs when I had them. it was an easy way to go batteryless.

The original RAM chips are toast I'm afraid, but yeah, you have a point with the Zeropower RAM.
I'll have to try to get that working first perhaps, maybe Leon's test ROM doesn't test the whole RAM area ?

#1912 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

This is the version with TR4 and jumpering is not the issue here. At some boards as I mentioned earlier, TR4 is missing and Jumpers J13 and J14 are below eachother in stead of next to eachother. If you want to use 2764 Eproms on these boards the jumpering is different - jumpering J13 will not work. But again, not the issue on your CPU board.

#1913 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

This is the version with TR4 and jumpering is not the issue here. At some boards as I mentioned earlier, TR4 is missing and Jumpers J13 and J14 are below eachother in stead of next to eachother. If you want to use 2764 Eproms on these boards the jumpering is different - jumpering J13 will not work. But again, not the issue on your CPU board.

Are you sure about not jumpering J13 ?
It seems it is looking at this page : http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/cpu-zeropower.html

#1914 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I'll have to try to get that working first perhaps, maybe Leon's test ROM doesn't test the whole RAM area ?

As far as I know, Leon's ROM only tests the first and the last location in the RAM chips on Zaccaria boards. I talked with him about that when he was still amongst us before I started coding testroms myself. (He knew, the RAM tests in his Gottlieb system 80 testrom and Zaccaria testrom were weak, he bettered that in the later Williams testroms but never for Gottlieb and Zaccaria as he didn't had the time for that anymore….).

#1915 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

As far as I know, Leon's ROM only tests the first and the last location in the RAM chips on Zaccaria boards. I talked with him about that when he was still amongst us before I started coding testroms myself. (He knew, the RAM tests in his Gottlieb system 80 testrom and Zaccaria testrom were weak, he bettered that in the later Williams testroms but never for Gottlieb and ZAccaria as he didn't had the time for that anymore….).

MarAlb I see, so there's room for error there.
I guess I'll go over the RAM section again, thanks for all your input, people !

#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Are you sure about not jumpering J13 ?
It seems it is looking at this page : http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/cpu-zeropower.html

The jumpering on your board is correct. At some older boards (without TR4) it is different.

#1917 3 years ago

Just joined the club and thought I would show my two Zaccaria pins that I just got in the last 2 days.

20200502_01024700 (resized).jpg20200502_01024700 (resized).jpg
#1918 3 years ago

Wow great finds! Got a story on where they came from? You don’t see Clown very often. It’s one I wanna find someday.

#1919 3 years ago
Quoted from shazam78:

Just joined the club and thought I would show my two Zaccaria pins that I just got in the last 2 days.
[quoted image]

Those look great!

#1921 3 years ago

What is the availability on the time machine ramp? Anyone have a spare that they would sell?

#1922 3 years ago

every time machine ramp is blown out on the right side. it's too thin and the thing takes a beating. I'm working on trying to redoing the ramp and make it much smoother.

#1923 3 years ago

Hi guys,
Just got a soccer kings

So far I only saw one issue: when it should be kicking balls on the upper playfield, it strugles to do so.
I hear a buzzing sound each times it tries to eject one, but nothing happens.

Any idea?

#1924 3 years ago

check out the VUK that's back there. Make sure something isn't jammed up in the ball popper. Move it freely with your hands. If that is all good. Make sure there isn't a wall missing back there, letting the ball shift and jam up on something. Something is binding somewhere. also make sure you have 3 balls back there.

#1925 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

check out the VUK that's back there. Make sure something isn't jammed up in the ball popper. Move it freely with your hands. If that is all good. Make sure there isn't a wall missing back there, letting the ball shift and jam up on something. Something is binding somewhere. also make sure you have 3 balls back there.

Thanks for the feedback

it moves freely and does not look like anything is missing.
there are 4 balls there, checked in the manual and 4 is the right amount.
I'm now checking the transistor driving it, hoping it's gonna be the culprit.

#1926 3 years ago

made a couple test more:
- all transistors are ok
- swapped with a known good driver board => exact same behaviour
- swapped with the center kick out coil which is the same one => exact same behaviour

I am very puzzled here

#1927 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

made a couple test more:
- all transistors are ok
- swapped with a known good driver board => exact same behaviour
- swapped with the center kick out coil which is the same one => exact same behaviour
I am very puzzled here

Check the wires for breaks, corrosion inside of the wire, cold solder or hanging by a thread etc.

Buzzing and anemic behavior on a single coil when everything else is ok, sounds like reduced current flow.

Voltage might be correct but amperage might be suffering.

Check all the connections in that circuit with an ohmmeter and maybe see if there is an area of high resistance.

But sounds like a cracked/barely touching wire.

#1928 3 years ago

and check and double check the switches back there. If one has poor connection or not working right, things are going to act weird as well.

#1929 3 years ago

Check the bridge rectifier for the coils power supply.

#1930 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check the bridge rectifier for the coils power supply.

Even if the center kick out uses the same coil and works fine?

Will also check all cables and switches again

#1931 3 years ago

check connections on the goalie coil too. think the power wires , bounce off the goalie to the VUK.

#1932 3 years ago

Just got in my Soccer Kings Translite today. Special thanks to Zitt for doing the orders for pinball.center
I'm pretty impressed with it. I wish I could light it up but my boards are out for repair.
I'll give an picture update once I get the boards back.

20200518_193116.jpg20200518_193116.jpg20200518_193504.jpg20200518_193504.jpg
#1933 3 years ago

checked every connection, the cable, the switches... everything is fine.
I am now changing the diod/transistor/capacitor/Resistance associated to hit, just i ncase, and will also change the whole connector.
If this still not works I am lost...

When I put the Q5 tab directly to ground I clearly hear it have a little "hum" but nothing more. There is clearly a power issue, but where....

#1934 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

checked every connection, the cable, the switches... everything is fine.
I am now changing the diod/transistor/capacitor/Resistance associated to hit, just i ncase, and will also change the whole connector.
If this still not works I am lost...
When I put the Q5 tab directly to ground I clearly hear it have a little "hum" but nothing more. There is clearly a power issue, but where....

Try replacing the wires to the coil?

#1935 3 years ago

Try replacing the wires to the coil?

Probably the last thing to try XD So yep, will clearly try it.

Changed connector, transistor, etc => absolutely no change.

#1936 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Probably the last thing to try XD So yep, will clearly try it.
Changed connector, transistor, etc => absolutely no change.

You can just clip a jumper to "double" the hot wire as a test.

Did you check the coil resistence?

#1937 3 years ago

You can just clip a jumper to "double" the hot wire as a test.
Did you check the coil resistence?

The coil was swapped with the identical one (working) on the center kick out => working there, and the one which was working there is not on the other position.
Coil has been ruled out of the equation

#1938 3 years ago

Laurent, I still need to restore my soccer kings so I don't know much about it but something I remember is that the balls must be 3 and not 4, have you tried to insert only 3 balls?

#1939 3 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Laurent, I still need to restore my soccer kings so I don't know much about it but something I remember is that the balls must be 3 and not 4, have you tried to insert only 3 balls?

Hi Gianfri,

I will try but the manual specifically says 4 balls, and with only 3 balls the switch won't be down

#1940 3 years ago

Restoring a Pinball Champ 82 , wrong legs on the game, where can i buy original legs for this game?

#1942 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

The coil was swapped with the identical one (working) on the center kick out => working there, and the one which was working there is not on the other position.
Coil has been ruled out of the equation

Did you check the other coils in the daisy chain?
Maybe one of the wires is just barely hanging on, but not enough to make solid contact.

#1943 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just use williams legs. They are the same.

Williams Non Ribbed ?

#1944 3 years ago
Quoted from Alby:

Williams Non Ribbed ?

Williams legs are the same exact length.

Early bally legs are not ribbed and look similar to zaccaria legs.

#1945 3 years ago
Quoted from Alby:

Williams Non Ribbed ?

non ribbed, but ribbed looks fine too. It's about the height more than the style.

#1946 3 years ago

Hey guys, my Farfalla is having volume issues. The volume is cutting in and out; I suspect the volume pot inside the coin door is suspect. As I have sent my boards off to be repaired because of sound issues. Does anyone know which pot I need to purchase for the volume control inside the coin door?

#1947 3 years ago

did you move it all the way back and forth like 20 times? that cleans them out well.

#1948 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you move it all the way back and forth like 20 times? that cleans them out well.

Yessir, sure did, been working on this game for a few months

#1949 3 years ago

There is a product called "contact" which cleans the contacts of the potentiometers.

That's an option

Otherwise I would verify that the Molex which connects to the sound board is not too loose and is not the source of the problem.

#1950 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed150:

Just got in my Soccer Kings Translite today. Special thanks to zitt for doing the orders for pinball.center
I'm pretty impressed with it. I wish I could light it up but my boards are out for repair.
I'll give an picture update once I get the boards back.[quoted image][quoted image]

Were did you get the translight from?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,449 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 69.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome/page/39?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.