player 2 (resized).jpg
player 1 (resized).jpg
high score (resized).jpg
MPU & driver boards (resized).jpg
credit ball-in-play (resized).jpg
Farfalla2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5399 (resized).jpg
IMG_5400 (resized).jpg
There are 3,465 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 70.
#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hey all,
I have 2 issues I need some help with on Farfalla please.
1. I’m having sound issues. The speech at the end of sound test works, there’s only one sound effect that works (the rollover lane at the top of the playfield). No other sound effects work, if at all they are very momentary. I replaced the capacitors on the sound board, no change other than it took the buzz out of the speakers. I also reflowed the connector pins and the pot pins on the board.
2. I’ve also got the lower pop bumper frying it’s transistor... I’m going to replace the coil which seems burnt and crusty with the Bally/Williams equivalent. I’ll replace the transistor, resistor, and coil and diode and try again, unless anyone has a suggestion of anything else I need to do.
Thank you guys

Marco snd pinball heaven have some zaccaria coils.

I bought a few recently and they work very good.

#1802 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I want to change out my backglass lift channel, its a bit dented and rusty.
Which one do i buy?
Early bally in stainless?

you want the channel for the thicker glass. They have 2 types, thin and thick. Zacs use thick.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you want the channel for the thicker glass. They have 2 types, thin and thick. Zacs use thick.

Does anyone sell the metal clip at the top?

#1804 4 years ago

you don't really need it. It's just there for the lock so it doesn't hit the glass directly. you could use plastic trim along the top if you want, or small piece of tape in the middle if you wish.

#1805 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you don't really need it. It's just there for the lock so it doesn't hit the glass directly. you could use plastic trim along the top if you want, or small piece of tape in the middle if you wish.

Great thanks!

#1806 4 years ago

Interesting problem on farfalla.

Once in awhile the left outlane switch triggers the react flipper before you can flip it.

It only happens once in awile.

#1807 4 years ago

this is confusing. You mean it flips on it's own? Or does it mean that the ball goes through the outlane and passes the flipper before it works? or does it mean you are flipping before the ball reaches the ideal point on the flipper?

#1808 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is confusing. You mean it flips on it's own? Or does it mean that the ball goes through the outlane and passes the flipper before it works? or does it mean you are flipping before the ball reaches the ideal point on the flipper?

Ah, yes it is confusing.

this only happens on the left side of the playfield.

The react flipper flips on its own after the ball rolls over the outlane switch.

Then of course since its a one shot deal, you cant flip the flipper to save the ball.

So, the outlane switch causes the react flipper to flip on its own, before you can flip it, once in awhile.

It does this for a game or 2 when you first power up the game.

After a few plays, or after it warms up a bit, it doesnt happen any more.

I was thinking that it may have something to do with the relay? Arcing perhaps as it energizes the flipper?

#1809 4 years ago

i'd first look at the wiring for the switch, for the flipper and everything connected in between. If there is a relay board for that, check it for cold solder joints. check for wires touching. Loose wires, and diodes that might be loose.

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd first look at the wiring for the switch, for the flipper and everything connected in between. If there is a relay board for that, check it for cold solder joints. check for wires touching. Loose wires, and diodes that might be loose.

Hmmm, yes!

A bad diode might be it.
Ill look, thanks.

#1811 4 years ago

wiggle them around. I've had them just crumble in my hands just from trying to move them. One Williams game I had once. 4 of them crumbled on me when checking the entire playfield.

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wiggle them around. I've had them just crumble in my hands just from trying to move them. One Williams game I had once. 4 of them crumbled on me when checking the entire playfield.

Will do.

I imagine there at least a few blown diodes...

#1813 4 years ago

I’m in the process of trying to clean up my Devil Riders, and replace the rubbers. A lot of the rubbers at the top of the playfield are underneath the “Devil Rider” elevated playfield.

Any tips, tricks, or walk-throughs of removing the elevated playfield so I can get to the rubbers below?

#1814 4 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

I’m in the process of trying to clean up my Devil Riders, and replace the rubbers. A lot of the rubbers at the top of the playfield are underneath the “Devil Rider” elevated playfield.
Any tips, tricks, or walk-throughs of removing the elevated playfield so I can get to the rubbers below?

Work slow, take tons of pictures.

#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Its got to be something in the relay circuit.

I caught the right outlane switch firing the right react flipper just now.

Are there replacement relays available?

#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from fat-johnny:

the playfield actually comes off really easy. There are a couple of screws in the lexan. If you take those out, and take off the switch springs on the entrance gates. take the flippers off. It should lift right up and you can get under it.

#1817 4 years ago

Its got to be something in the relay circuit.
I caught the right outlane switch firing the right react flipper just now.
Are there replacement relays available?

try reflowing the solder on the relay first. and make sure your switch diodes are all on correctly, and on the right points of the switch. Look for banded side orientation. I really don't think it's the relay itself, but could be.

#1818 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

try reflowing the solder on the relay first. and make sure your switch diodes are all on correctly, and on the right points of the switch. Look for banded side orientation. I really don't think it's the relay itself, but could be.

Will do.
Thanks!

Ill take a look friday.

#1819 4 years ago

Got a Farfalla, which was in pieces.
I am putting back everything together, but on the power driver board I have red and black wires coming cout; they were cut. Where are they going to?

Any pic appreciated!

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Got a Farfalla, which was in pieces.
I am putting back everything together, but on the power driver board I have red and black wires coming cout; they were cut. Where are they going to?

Any pic appreciated!

Can you post a pic of what you are working on?

#1821 4 years ago

Sure can!

20200321_200228 (resized).jpg20200321_200228 (resized).jpg
#1822 4 years ago

looks like that's not the only board you are going to be redoing some connectors on.

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Sure can![quoted image]

Can you post a pic of the backbox and all the boards?

I need some prespective on what you have.

#1824 4 years ago

Have everything.
I know the roms are wrong
Haven't assembled the head to the body yet, preparing before.

20200321_230229 (resized).jpg20200321_230229 (resized).jpg
#1825 4 years ago

Looks like someone soldered the wires directly to the power supply board and cut them off to part out the game.

My game had similar bad treatment lol.

Does your harness have a connector on it, or cut wires.

New pins and connectors are definitely in order i think.

Do you have the schematic?

#1826 4 years ago

yep, it had the connector so I just resoldered one. No schematics on hand unfortunately, but it was simple; I just did not see it as I was focused on the head which was apart from the cables
should have looked there for a connector first

#1827 4 years ago

first boot done: it reboots non stop after like 1 sec.
Any hint where to look at?

edit: values are ok except TP4 which is at 2.9 instead of 5VDC

Edit 2: removed the dreaded white watch dog wire => pinball booted just fine!

Now I have everything working except the inserts; none of them is working. Investigating.

#1828 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

first boot done: it reboots non stop after like 1 sec.
Any hint where to look at?
edit: values are ok except TP4 which is at 2.9 instead of 5VDC
Edit 2: removed the dreaded white watch dog wire => pinball booted just fine!
Now I have everything working except the inserts; none of them is working. Investigating.

My original board doesnt have the white wire.

But I did buy a new CPU and driver board from @gianfri, mine are pretty torn up.

#1829 4 years ago

If someone has the American insert to Farfalla, I’d like to buy it, the one with the girl with a dress on

#1830 4 years ago

My original board doesnt have the white wire.
But I did buy a new CPU and driver board from gianfri, mine are pretty torn up.

Both boards are fine it seems here.
Only having an issue with the 5VDC from the power driver board, which creates the issue with the inserts (at least I guess).
If I read the schematics correctly I should replace P3 bridge?

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Both boards are fine it seems here.
Only having an issue with the 5VDC from the power driver board, which creates the issue with the inserts (at least I guess).
If I read the schematics correctly I should replace P3 bridge?

The power board is very simple.

I would shotgun it and just replace all the 30 year old parts.

One thing though, I would definitely get the LED displays from gianfri and disable the 170v circuit.

The 170v system is ancient and totally unnecessary at this point. Its good to avoid fires lol.

They are inexpensive and very easy to build. I built them all in 4 hrs.

They are just perfect.

#1832 4 years ago

The power board is very simple.
I would shotgun it and just replace all the 30 year old parts.
One thing though, I would definitely get the LED displays from gianfri and disable the 170v circuit.
The 170v system is ancient and totally unnecessary at this point. Its good to avoid fires lol.
They are inexpensive and very easy to build. I built them all in 4 hrs.
They are just perfect.

that's already ordered with him

#1833 4 years ago

you can use schematics from pretty much any Gen2 zac. The PS board, MPU board and driver board are pretty much the same on every gen2. Only thing that changes is the sound board sometimes, and the PS board on New Stars phoenix.

#1834 4 years ago

If the 5v is low there is likely something pulling it down. I would work to first see if you can find what that is and why.

#1835 4 years ago

well I have no clue on how to find what's causing it.
I replaced P3 with a KBPC1032 => still no insert light but F3 is blowing up everytime. How can I test to figure what's reducing it? Cause according to the schematics, it's the 6,3VAC in (which is working fine) and 5VDC out
http://www.pinrepair.com/zac/manuals/zac2_farfalla_sch.pdf page 8

Edit: F3 blow up was caused by me, not soldering the new P3 correctly.
Everything is now working as intended

#1836 4 years ago

Start by unplugging everything from the power board except the wires from the transformer. Check the voltages with everything disconnected... If it's still low the problem is on the power supply board and you should probably rebuild it. If it's not still low then there is a problem with another board.

#1837 4 years ago

Hey guys I need a little help with Farfalla, I have everything working except sound, I get voice and a couple of sound effects and that’s it. Where do I start looking?

I have installed brand new roms.

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Hey guys I need a little help with Farfalla, I have everything working except sound, I get voice and a couple of sound effects and that’s it. Where do I start looking?
I have installed brand new roms.

background sounds set to on (1) in the menu?
Clear all audits in the menu and set background sounds to on.
Go thru all settings untill the end as sometimes it wont save anything.

Try turning the volume adjustment pots back and forth, they might just be dirty.

My game had no sound when I got it and came alive after fiddling with the sound pots.
I let it set another 10 years and of course no sound lol. But turning the volume control up and down fixed it again.

Do the sounds work in test?
If they do then its a CPU issue, not necessarily a sound board issue.

Or its a bad chip on the sound board if it doesnt work right.

see here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-sound-issues#post-4979075

#1839 4 years ago

background sounds set to on (1) in the menu?
Clear all audits in the menu and set background sounds to on.
Go thru all settings untill the end as sometimes it wont save anything.
Try turning the volume adjustment pots back and forth, they might just be dirty.
My game had no sound when I got it and came alive after fiddling with the sound pots.
I let it set another 10 years and of course no sound lol. But turning the volume control up and down fixed it again.
Do the sounds work in test?
If they do then its a CPU issue, not necessarily a sound board issue.
Or its a bad chip on the sound board if it doesnt work right.
see here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-sound-issues#post-4979075

Capacitors replaced and connectors and pots solder reflowed on the back of the sound board. ( reflowing one of the pots stopped a hum in the sound from a cold solder joint )

Pots adjusted over and over with no change

Pots adjusted per the manual as well

95% of the Sounds do not work in sound test

Same sounds that do work in sound test also work in game, maybe 2 sound effects work and the voice sound effects all work to my knowledge.

All of the settings gone through and adjusted one by one, and double checked afterward. Successful adjustment save .

#1840 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Capacitors replaced and connectors and pots solder reflowed on the back of the sound board. ( reflowing one of the pots stopped a hum in the sound from a cold solder joint )
Pots adjusted over and over with no change
Pots adjusted per the manual as well
95% of the Sounds do not work in sound test
Same sounds that do work in sound test also work in game, maybe 2 sound effects work and the voice sound effects all work to my knowledge.
All of the settings gone through and adjusted one by one, and double checked afterward. Successful adjustment save .

Id go thru this list in the sound section, sounds like a chip or 2, maybe location 20 IC:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/index.html

#1841 4 years ago

sounds like you have flaky sound board. It happens sometimes. That might need to be sent out to be fixed. zaccaria-pinball.com fixes them.

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

well I have no clue on how to find what's causing it.
I replaced P3 with a KBPC1032 => still no insert light but F3 is blowing up everytime. How can I test to figure what's reducing it? Cause according to the schematics, it's the 6,3VAC in (which is working fine) and 5VDC out
http://www.pinrepair.com/zac/manuals/zac2_farfalla_sch.pdf page 8
Edit: F3 blow up was caused by me, not soldering the new P3 correctly.
Everything is now working as intended

Do like pinball_ric said.
Remove all output connectors and verify, you may have a short in one of the lamp holders which kills the 6v

#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Do like pinball_ric said.
Remove all output connectors and verify, you may have a short in one of the lamp holders which kills the 6v

As stated above everything has worked just fine after I replaced P3

#1844 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

sounds like you have flaky sound board. It happens sometimes. That might need to be sent out to be fixed. zaccaria-pinball.com fixes them.

Thank you!

1 week later
#1846 4 years ago

Just got my new farfalla backglass.

Its amazing! Perfect! Wonderful!

So much better than the original.

Way better color and seperation of the elements.

It just GLOWS lol

Coos is a Master!

20200407_135418 (resized).jpg20200407_135418 (resized).jpg20200407_135429 (resized).jpg20200407_135429 (resized).jpg20200407_135433 (resized).jpg20200407_135433 (resized).jpg20200407_135455 (resized).jpg20200407_135455 (resized).jpg
#1847 4 years ago

I got a new bally classic 3/16" stainless lift trim from pinball life.

The edges are a bit sharp.

I taped it to protect the finish with masking tape and just ran a smooth file followed by emory cloth to take the slight edge off

I had to trim off a little to make it 27 3/8".

I just used a dremel cutoff wheel.

I added 12" of friction tape.

It fit perfecty, just tapped it on with a harbor freight yellow plastic/soft face mallet.

It was super easy to install.

#1848 4 years ago

Just got my new farfalla backglass.
Its amazing! Perfect! Wonderful!
So much better than the original.
Way better color and seperation of the elements.
It just GLOWS lol
Coos is a Master![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Its impossible to show how beautiful Coos work is.

Just stunning.

#1849 4 years ago

Its impossible to show how beautiful Coos work is.
Just stunning.

Now, how can i pry loose a euro green lady insert from one you collectors....!

#1850 4 years ago

I’d like an American insert if anyone has one to sell

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
San Francisco, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
There are 3,465 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 70.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-pinball-owners-club-all-welcome/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.