Topic Stats

• 1,221 posts
  • 181 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Nihonmasa
  • Topic is favorited by 64 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 424 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0010a.jpg
IMG_0003a.jpg
6D1D8683-0362-4EF4-88F3-B432C3A5A3FF (resized).jpeg
Driverboard Neu 1. Gen (resized).jpg
CPUboard Neu 1. Gen (resized).jpg
Neue Platinen (resized).jpg
20190114_184304 (resized).jpg
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).png
file1 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file-11 (resized).jpeg
file-6 (resized).jpeg
20181125_093140 (resized).jpg
20181125_093149 (resized).jpg
20181125_093134 (resized).jpg

There are 1221 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 25.
#1201 10 days ago

Hello, I received a Farfalla with a non working CPU. It's my first non-DMD machine and I try to repair it. I burned a eprom with Leon's test program. When I read it, I see that only the 312 first bytes are used, the rest of the eprom is full of FF. Is it normal ?

#1202 10 days ago

Looking for a 3000pt Drop Target..would settle for. 30,000 one.

6D1D8683-0362-4EF4-88F3-B432C3A5A3FF (resized).jpeg
#1203 9 days ago

Thinking of letting go of my Time Mach. Let me know if there is any local interest. Lyons CO.

#1204 9 days ago

OK, so if I understand this correctly, I could source remanufactured boards as follows:

Generation 1:

- MPU: Blackadder (now) & gianfri (soon)

- driver: Blackadder (now)

- power: gianfri (possibly in future)

Generation 2:

- MPU: gianfri (now)

- driver: gianfri (now)

Is this accurate?

As for myself, I think my Farfalla (Gen 2) is fine except that one of the pin connectors has a few busted pins. I presume that gianfri could sell that as a separate piece since he is making new boards with that, and I could just repin it myself. The MPU on my Space Shuttle (Gen 1) is not working and the power board seems to have an ugly hack, so I would want to replace that.

As for keeping old boards going, I've got a bad track record with Gottlieb System 1 and the early Bally boards, so my attitude is to just replace everything and not worry about it. That said, the Gen 2 boards seem to be solidly built, so maybe I will try to keep those going. In any case, if I'm ever considering shipping out my boards to get fixed, I will always prefer to buy remanufactured boards instead.

#1205 9 days ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

OK, so if I understand this correctly, I could source remanufactured boards as follows:
Generation 1:
- MPU: Blackadder (now) & gianfri (soon)
- driver: Blackadder (now)
Generation 2:
- MPU: gianfri (now)
- driver: gianfri (now)
Is this accurate?

Yes, that looks ok for what concerns my products, cannot tell you about the others.

Regarding MPUs reproductions, I had some direct experiences with them and I can affirm that sometimes they can be very instable, could be due to modern components which are not exactly equivalent to the old ones.

One last detail, our boards are not clones but compatible evolutions like the Alltek.
Both MPUs work with flash roms and dip switches and not with original eproms. (G2 can still support old eproms but G1 won't)

I think you can still contact David Gersic in US for Zaccaria board's repair.

Gianfri

#1206 8 days ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Yes, that looks ok for what concerns my products, cannot tell you about the others.
Regarding MPUs reproductions, I had some direct experiences with them and I can affirm that sometimes they can be very instable, could be due to modern components which are not exactly equivalent to the old ones.
One last detail, our boards are not clones but compatible evolutions like the Alltek.
Both MPUs work with flash roms and dip switches and not with original eproms. (G2 can still support old eproms but G1 won't)
Gianfri

So you are saying that Gersic's EPROM/ROM ?? that allows for free play won't work with your G1 but will work with your G2? Does your board come with free play? What I mean by "free play" is that the new credits are awarded as usual, and the only extra thing that the MPU does is allow the player to start a new game even if the number of credits is 0. This is what the Ni-Wumpf Gottlieb System 1 MPU does, but the AllTek Bally Universal MPU board does not. According to him, Gersic's EPROM/ROM allows for this.

As for the repair, all I am interested in is one of the male pin sets, specifically CN11. Obviously you have been able to source these to build you product; I just want to get that part number and a vendor that sells it. Or I could just get it from you when I get the G1 MPU from you in the future. And it may turn out that that G2 MPU I have has some other issues, and in that case, I would just buy the G2 from you as well - but I would rather get that pin part on my own and fix it and after that determine if I need to replace the whole board.

#1207 7 days ago

Sorry, I forgot to answer your CN11 question.
No I don't have them and they appear to be impossible to find.

We just use standard strips which do not fit on the original boards.

And regarding the Free Play, the G1 board will come with both normal and free play roms while the G2 needs an additional flash rom to exchange on the board in order to have free play roms.
So both can have free play, G1 directly embedded and G2 with an optional/additional ROM sold as optional rom and probably as alternative to the original rom with no price difference. (these details are being finalised now)

#1208 7 days ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Gianfri

So you are saying that Gersic's EPROM/ROM ?? that allows for free play won't work with your G1 but will work with your G2? Does your board come with free play? What I mean by "free play" is that the new credits are awarded as usual, and the only extra thing that the MPU does is allow the player to start a new game even if the number of credits is 0. This is what the Ni-Wumpf Gottlieb System 1 MPU does, but the AllTek Bally Universal MPU board does not. According to him, Gersic's EPROM/ROM allows for this.

As for the repair, all I am interested in is one of the male pin sets, specifically CN11. Obviously you have been able to source these to build you product; I just want to get that part number and a vendor that sells it. Or I could just get it from you when I get the G1 MPU from you in the future. And it may turn out that that G2 MPU I have has some other issues, and in that case, I would just buy the G2 from you as well - but I would rather get that pin part on my own and fix it and after that determine if I need to replace the whole board.

Quoted from gianfri:

Sorry, I forgot to answer your CN11 question.
No I don't have them and they appear to be impossible to find.
We just use standard strips which do not fit on the original boards.
And regarding the Free Play, the G1 board will come with both normal and free play roms while the G2 needs an additional flash rom to exchange on the board in order to have free play roms.
So both can have free play, G1 directly embedded and G2 with an optional/additional ROM sold as optional rom and probably as alternative to the original rom with no price difference. (these details are being finalised now)

I don't understand. If you don't have the CN11 pin header, then how does your board interface with the harness of the machine, which is designed to interface to a CN11 pin header?

I wonder if that CN11 pin header can be made to order via 3-D printing.

#1209 6 days ago

For anyone interested, I will be listing a very rare, but non-working Gen 1 House of diamonds soon in the marketplace. Shopped, but not working $1000. i am firm on the price. PM me for details. Also have a fully working Earth Wind Fire, shopped, and a Star god that I haven't gotten to yet.

#1210 6 days ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
I would like to introduce you to our little project!
Me and Han B. have built a CPU board and a driver board for ALL first-generation Zaccaria pinball machines. These boards are rebuilt, with modifications, to the original boards so that the schematics and testers can continue to be used.
Alex
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are these boards for sale now?

#1211 5 days ago

Owner from today of a Farfalla!
My first Zaccaria.

When I tested it with the seller it suffered from reboots.
Will get to it when I have some space to work on it.
May have some questions

#1212 5 days ago

Hello,

yes, the boards are for sale.

#1213 5 days ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

So you are saying that Gersic's EPROM/ROM ?? that allows for free play won't work with your G1 but will work with your G2?

Gersic's free eproms will be directly embedded on the G1 board together with the original ones, no need to burn them on eproms so no need to have eprom's support on the board.

And for the headers, we use different headers which are compatible with the connectors present in the pinball machine but not usable on the original boards for repair works.

Gianfri

#1214 5 days ago
Quoted from Blackadder:

Hello,
yes, the boards are for sale.

How would I go about purchasing it?

#1215 5 days ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Gersic's free eproms will be directly embedded on the G1 board together with the original ones, no need to burn them on eproms so no need to have eprom's support on the board.
And for the headers, we use different headers which are compatible with the connectors present in the pinball machine but not usable on the original boards for repair works.
Gianfri

I don't understand how the headers you use can be compatible with the connectors, but yet cannot not be used on a stock board.

#1216 4 days ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

I don't understand how the headers you use can be compatible with the connectors, but yet cannot not be used on a stock board.

Are you asking about the 20 pin pin headers used on the MPU board and driver board?
The pins on those headers are staggered (zig zag) on the solder side. The German manufacturer of these particular pin headers (cant remember their name but they're still around) no longer makes them; they are obsolete. Gianfri is using replacement pin headers that are traditional straight line on the solder side. That's why the headers he uses are not a drop in replacement on your original board. To make matters more difficult, Zaccaria used metric pin headers that are pin spaced 2.50mm apart. Not like your typical Molex imperial 0.1" connectors with pins spaced 2.54mm apart.
IMG_0010a.jpg
IMG_0003a.jpg

#1217 4 days ago

Thanks for helping with the explanation.
For me it was clear enough but apparently wasn't for others

#1218 2 days ago

My farlalla is now plugged.
There is a clear reboot issue; it works for like 1mn and then rebootsvery often.
Any hint?
I'd like to save it

Edit:
Found this, gonna follow it!
http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/gen2/powersupply.html
I'm gonna solve it and turn this machine into a skittle box!

#1219 2 days ago

After controls, on the power supply board, at TP2 I have 8V where I should have 12.

Bridge rectifiers to change?

#1220 1 day ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

After controls, on the power supply board, at TP2 I have 8V where I should have 12.
Bridge rectifiers to change?

yes, go for P2

#1221 1 day ago
Quoted from gianfri:

yes, go for P2

Changed all 3 as I was at it and no reboot so far!
And a shiny 14V (with nothing plugged) when I was getting 8 before

Was finally able to play a full game!
Incredible for 1983; huge digitalisations!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Olathe, KS
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mesa, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 40.00
$ 22.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1221 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 25.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside