New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 79389)

Zaccaria pinball owners club! All welcome

By SpOoKyRiDeS

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,157 posts
  • 238 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 692 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20201013_135500 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_135439 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_135357 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201013_135417 (resized).jpg
IMG_3218 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3217 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-9 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-8 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-7 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-6 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-5 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-4 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-3 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender-2 (resized).jpeg

There are 2157 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 44.
#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I always have displays on hand.

you're like Alibaba cave

#1003 2 years ago

I was wondering how much interest there would be for a similar product for Zaccaria displays:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tester-for-ballystern-displays

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

Original or led?

I would prefer original style. but 7 digit LED would work too. thanks!

#1005 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I always have displays on hand.

how much for a couple 7 digit displays Neo, complete?

#1006 2 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I would prefer original style. but 7 digit LED would work too. thanks!

For Original probaly Neo will be able to help you, I have only LEDs

#1007 2 years ago

Hello club, hoping I will be a member some day I was wondering which are your top three zacc ?
Since it is pretty complicated to get one or even find one to play I tried them all digitally but I would like to have your opinion.
Game play wise and overall package. For now leaving out the mecas, but we can also make a list of the top mecas.

I like magic castle, spooky, robot(really dig playfield, bg not so much), locomotion but never got to play for real. I only played farfalla. Maybe zankor too but not sure.
TBH I think I could get my hands on robot or locomotion, farfalla, and the rest is nearly impossible, or unobtainum(spooky)

Let s hear your thoughts !

#1008 2 years ago

Opinions vary, but the most fun I had of all the zacs I owned and played were with the generation 2 games.
Games such as Farfalla, Pinball Champ, Magic Castle, Soccer Kings, Zankor, Mexico 86, Robot, Pool Champion are the best.

The only generation 1 game I truly enjoyed was StarGod.

There are couple of stinkers in the generation 2 games (I'm looking at you Black Belt and Time Machine) and 1 game I never played (Spooky), but its so rare you probably won't find it anyway.

Quoted from archaik:

Hello club, hoping I will be a member some day I was wondering which are your top three zacc ?
Since it is pretty complicated to get one or even find one to play I tried them all digitally but I would like to have your opinion.
Game play wise and overall package. For now leaving out the mecas, but we can also make a list of the top mecas.
I like magic castle, spooky, robot(really dig playfield, bg not so much), locomotion but never got to play for real. I only played farfalla. Maybe zankor too but not sure.
TBH I think I could get my hands on robot or locomotion, farfalla, and the rest is nearly impossible, or unobtainum(spooky)

#1009 2 years ago

My top 3 favs are

Zankor
Robot
Locomotion

(who am I kidding, now I have to go down the list in order)

Pinball champ
Soccer Kings
Clown
Spooky
Magic castle
Farfalla
Pool champion
Time Machine
Scramble
Devil riders
Blackbelt
Stars Phoenix

I have never played mexico 86 yet, so I can't say. It's the only Gen 2 I don't own, or ever played. Only Gen 1 I have played is Locomotion. Not including the EM's in this list.

#1010 2 years ago

Sh*t, I have a Locomotion to restore since 2 years now, I should try to get some motivation before I get old

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from archaik:

My Three favorite are Farfalla (the artwork), Zankor (the sounds) and Soccer Kings ( big fan of the upper playfield).

I agree with Frank, Time Machine gets a bit old once you've played it a while. I find myself hoping not to go back into the past or future as I have to wait for the playfield to move. It really breaks your rhythm. The 4 flippers seem kind of pointless as well. As far as Spooky is concerned, the best part of that game is the back glass animation. You can get some satisfaction from hitting the ramps, but otherwise the playfield is fairly sparse. One drop target with the rest being stand-ups, not a lot to shoot for otherwise. Given the amount of things to do in other games from their late production, Spooky looks like it was a cost cutting effort. Great artwork though.

#1012 2 years ago

so I see we are pretty much agreeing on what I should look for

i really like time machine because its pretty but pretty boring so its a no
I know where to find a spooky but i also know its not for sale

I see you both mention soccer kings I forgot about it but could be one too

My problem is I find it very hard to buy a game I dont like from the artistic point of view, Zankor would need an alternate BG, but anyway never seen one up for sale.

#1013 2 years ago

The backglass is really pretty in person on Zankor.

I'll tell you a funny story about that. I agreed to purchase a Zankor sight unseen because it was the only one in the USA at the time, but it didn't have a backglass. It was part of a container and was non functioning, and I mean REALLY non-functioning. It took forever for the seller to get around to it and in the meantime I found a backglass in England and paid the seller and had it shipped. Well I was ripped off and never got the backglass or my money back. That was a hard lesson.

So 6 months come around and the I am going to pick up the game without a backglass. I get a call the night before from a friend and he said "Hey, I know you like these zac games and my friend has a backglass for one, would you be interested in buying it? I asked him what was the game and he said "I dunno something about zardoz or zandor. I said Zankor? He said ya, thats it! Needless to say the next day I picked up the game AND the backglass.

I spent the next 5 months working every night fixing it though, ordering parts from all around the world, but it was worth it! What a fun game.

Quoted from archaik:

so I see we are pretty much agreeing on what I should look for
i really like time machine because its pretty but pretty boring so its a no
I know where to find a spooky but i also know its not for sale
I see you both mention soccer kings I forgot about it but could be one too
My problem is I find it very hard to buy a game I dont like from the artistic point of view, Zankor would need an alternate BG, but anyway never seen one up for sale.

#1014 2 years ago

Zankor may be just as hard to find as Spooky is. Personally, I love Zankor's back glass, never really understood the theme though. I assumed it was some obscure comic book reference, but that would require licensing. Seems like all the Zacs were original themes.

#1015 2 years ago

Zankor was an original theme. It wasn't Rimondini (artist) since his last game was Mexico 86, so the brothers hired another artist to complete the last 3 games (Zankor, Spooky and Stars Phoenix). It felt disjointed in a quirky way but there were some really weird things in the game that just gave it such charm. The upper playfield didn't make sense but it was a novel way to meet a plunged ball, the large headhunter target with flasher was cool, the artwork was all of the place but ecclectic and interesting.

You could theorize about the main character, why was he in the jungle with monster spiders and weird shit all around, was he saving the girl, as his expressions were that he couldn't care less ! Was this on earth or maybe a weird planet? Freaky flowers, all kinds of imagery. It was a challenging game to play, pretty hard to score.

Years ago I exchanged some emails with an Italian guy whose friends band made the music for the game. There were several riffs in the game and one of the best ones only plays at the end of the game and only once. Also one of the few games that only had Italian language roms (spooky too)

Quoted from Joeplainfield:

Zankor may be just as hard to find as Spooky is. Personally, I love Zankor's back glass, never really understood the theme though. I assumed it was some obscure comic book reference, but that would require licensing. Seems like all the Zacs were original themes.

#1016 2 years ago

Hey, I'm in the club now - just picked up Farfalla. Now I have something to
trade to Neo with .... for his Robot!

#1017 2 years ago

I guess that I qualify as an associate member, I have a Apple Time "Thunder Man", built in 1987. It has a Zac boardset with Gottlieb playfield parts and original LED displays.

The artwork on the backglass and playfield features Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken in "Escape From New York" and a woman and young boy from the motion picture "Young Sherlock Holmes", all of which are absolute copyright violations. Maybe that's why Apple Time only made one machine.

Maybe you guys can help with a problem. During gameplay, the right hole kicker, drop target reset and outhole coils fire on a regular basis, almost like they are in Test Mode. It's not like a missing ball search because the left hole kicker does not fire and why would the drop target reset coil fire
to find a missing ball? I have a manual but no schematic.

Thanks,

Alan

#1018 2 years ago

Since this is the bedt club for European machines , anyone knows repair tips on Playmatic ??

Comes with 8 track player for sound/music

Game not booting up , see some corrosion on the cpu board

Anyone ?

4F448C4C-4A0B-4E05-ACE8-2E0C0FBE4CF5 (resized).jpeg

C6D5F77D-B579-4DDC-96CE-EBBB18B6A74D (resized).jpeg

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

My top 3 favs are
Zankor
Robot
Locomotion
(who am I kidding, now I have to go down the list in order)
Pinball champ
Soccer Kings
Clown
Spooky
Magic castle
Farfalla
Pool champion
Time Machine
Scramble
Devil riders
Blackbelt
Stars Phoenix
I have never played mexico 86 yet, so I can't say. It's the only Gen 2 I don't own, or ever played. Only Gen 1 I have played is Locomotion. Not including the EM's in this list.

No love for Hot Wheels ?!!

#1020 2 years ago

rdvd for playmatic try the spanish forum (petacos) or maybe a new topic about spanish games.
I can help with traduction if needed, but I dont own nor have knowledge of those machines.

#1021 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

No love for Hot Wheels ?!!

never played one. I havn't played any gen 1's except locomotion. I am looking for one tho.

As for zankors theme. It's pretty easy concept. It's a dude that lives in his van down by the river, and plays bass. His girlfriend is a figure skater, and she has dr. manhatten trying to steal her with his pets of fury crab spiders and boa.

#1022 2 years ago

One hot wheels is ready for shipping
It’s a beauty

My own hot wheels won’t do nothing other then just playfield lights come on.

No displays or anything else.
Any tips ?
Fuses are good and all boards were checked/repaired

Even put a new CPU gen 1 in there and still no luck

Help anyone .....Neo

D2E461C0-D52D-4272-BFB7-CFB6125C6F10 (resized).jpeg

F5CE7948-940E-433F-B476-38F8E1635C9A (resized).jpeg

#1023 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

It’s a beauty

Shipping where??? To me? Such a generous idea. How much does a Hot Wheels fetch out of curiosity?
-Mike

#1024 2 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Shipping where??? To me? Such a generous idea. How much does a Hot Wheels fetch out of curiosity?
-Mike

Hi Mike

To get a working one from Europe to USA
Sets you back about $3k

Took 2 years to find this nice sample
My hr rate is $100/hr
On top of purchase

You want one

Rob

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Zankor was an original theme. .... Also one of the few games that only had Italian language roms (spooky too)

Frank,my Spooky speaks English. In fact I think it’s using the sound board you helped me get several years back. Whoever you got it from had the English roms

#1026 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Hi Mike

To get a working one from Europe to USA
Sets you back about $3k

Took 2 years to find this nice sample
My hr rate is $100/hr
On top of purchase

You want one

Rob

um ...guess I'm stuck playing on Ipad. Really like the machine. Maybe someday.
-Mike

#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

It’s a beauty
My own hot wheels won’t do nothing other then just playfield lights come on.
No displays or anything else.
Any tips ?
Fuses are good and all boards were checked/repaired
Even put a new CPU gen 1 in there and still no luck
Help anyone .....Neo

eh eh
I know where this board is coming from

BTW, the Zaccaria Gen 1 machines are a nightmare in terms of MPU.
We are working on a new MPU similar to the one already existing for G2 but... the original project is so unstable that any single detail counts and there are big differences between early G1 machines and late ones like EWF or Locomotion.

If your board doesn't go ON and if you are 100% sure it works correctly then you have to check the power board but... if your MPU board was unassembled and you assembled it yourself (as I think) then you can be sure that there is an incompatibility with some components and good luck to find them, I had the same with the homepin boards, too many old components mixed to new ones (chinese clones) which where just not compatible anymore between them.

gianfri

#1028 2 years ago

Cool thanks for the correction and glad you still have Spooky! There are certainly only a handful in the USA.

Frank,my Spooky speaks English. In fact I think it’s using the sound board you helped me get several years back. Whoever you got it from had the English roms

#1029 2 years ago

my spooky speaks english

My zankor does not. Dave was able to find English sound roms, but they were compressed for the 8 bit chip, and are so distorted, it's pretty much impossible to understand anything.

I'd love to buy one of those hot wheels. But I would never pay 3k for a Gen1.

#1030 2 years ago

For EM Zaccaria owners: I just shipped out new sound and flasher boards to Marco. They will get them early next week.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-zaccaria-em-sound-and-flasher-boards#post-4410430

#1031 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

eh eh
I know where this board is coming from
BTW, the Zaccaria Gen 1 machines are a nightmare in terms of MPU.
We are working on a new MPU similar to the one already existing for G2 but... the original project is so unstable that any single detail counts and there are big differences between early G1 machines and late ones like EWF or Locomotion.
If your board doesn't go ON and if you are 100% sure it works correctly then you have to check the power board but... if your MPU board was unassembled and you assembled it yourself (as I think) then you can be sure that there is an incompatibility with some components and good luck to find them, I had the same with the homepin boards, too many old components mixed to new ones (chinese clones) which where just not compatible anymore between them.
gianfri

I swapped the power board over from a fully working game and the cpu seperatly
The game remains dead , no displays , no start up just few playfield GI

It’s a Mystery !

#1032 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I swapped the power board over from a fully working game and the cpu seperatly
The game remains dead , no displays , no start up just few playfield GI
It’s a Mystery !

I didn't understand, you swapped the CPU from a working machine to this one and still not working or you put this CPU on a different machine and still not working?

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from gianfri:

I didn't understand, you swapped the CPU from a working machine to this one and still not working or you put this CPU on a different machine and still not working?

I have one fully working hot wheels
So swapped power supply over
But nothing
Then also cpu over , still nothing

Put both back in working machine where they came from and all is ok

Why it did not work for my non working game ?

#1034 2 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

I have one fully working hot wheels
So swapped power supply over
But nothing
Then also cpu over , still nothing
Put both back in working machine where they came from and all is ok
Why it did not work for my non working game ?

the question is:

does the new CPU work on your working machine?

If nothing works on the second machine even if with the good CPU and power the only thing remaining is the power, please measure all the tensions from the CN1 coming from the transfo. Probably missing something.
There is also a fuse in the cabinet, 1,6A if not mistaken.
Is the main switch working?

several option to check.

#1035 2 years ago

Does anyone have a Spooky, Pool Champion or Soccer Kings backglass they’re willing to sell?

#1036 2 years ago

Spooky, Pool Champion or Soccer Kings backglass

Check with BGresto. Basically anything that Clay has he can scan to make one.
Might need to have someone else scan spooky though.

#1037 2 years ago

Does anyone have a Spooky, Pool Champion or Soccer Kings backglass they’re willing to sell?

pm sent

1 week later
#1038 2 years ago

Looking for a Backglass for Combat. Mine looks like someone shot it with a .22.

1 week later
#1039 2 years ago

My Farfalla has stopped working today. Keeps blowing f2 5amp solenoid fuse and all control lamps are permantley on! Also player 2 display is out , as well.
It use to blow the 5amp fuse intermittently, but now blow immediatley on boot up. Possibly transistor or coil problem.
But the control lamps all on permanently seems to be a new problem.

#1040 2 years ago
Quoted from riverinapinball:

My Farfalla has stopped working today. Keeps blowing f2 5amp solenoid fuse and all control lamps are permantley on! Also player 2 display is out , as well.
It use to blow the 5amp fuse intermittently, but now blow immediatley on boot up. Possibly transistor or coil problem.
But the control lamps all on permanently seems to be a new problem.

F2 doesn't have anything to do with GI or solenoids.
what do you mean with control lamps? fix lamps GI or controlled by the driver board?

Try two things:
- replace F2 and disconnect the driver board power cable before powering on.
- disconnect the display ribbon cable from CPU and power on

Verify if with one of those two actions your F2 doesn't blow.

If it still blows then concentrate on the power board.

start with this and then we see...

Gianfri

#1041 2 years ago

did you pull off any connectors and put them back on before you started having this problem? Sounds like you have a connector off, or 2 of the them in the wrong spot, which can be very very bad. Especially if it's F2 and F3 on the PS board.

1 week later
#1042 2 years ago

I purchased my first pin at the age of 10, it was a Zaccaria Magic Castle, I still have it after 26 years.

One of the score boards is starting to go on the fritz, does anyone know where I could locate an original score board for replacement (would prefer to not upgrade the look and feel of it)?

#1043 2 years ago
Quoted from conversekidz:

I purchased my first pin at the age of 10, it was a Zaccaria Magic Castle, I still have it after 26 years.
One of the score boards is starting to go on the fritz, does anyone know where I could locate an original score board for replacement (would prefer to not upgrade the look and feel of it)?

Probably neoskywalker can help you...

#1044 2 years ago
Quoted from conversekidz:

reseat the connector first. Then try the ribbon cable. Sometimes the little prongs break off on the edge of the board off the glass. They are fragile. Resoldering those prongs back to the edge of the board would fix that.

#1045 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

reseat the connector first. Then try the ribbon cable. Sometimes the little prongs break off on the edge of the board off the glass. They are fragile. Resoldering those prongs back to the edge of the board would fix that.

I'll try that, thanks for the advice.

1 week later
#1046 2 years ago

Does anyone have photos or scans of the score cards for Zaccaria's Ten Stars? Even if they are low resolution that is ok, I can recreate them in Photoshop. Just need a semi-clear image where I can read the text. Thank you!

-BB

#1047 2 years ago

I need some help. I bought new Caps for my Farfalla. I removed the old 16v 10000uf cap and realized it has 4 posts not like the usual 2 post caps. Is it safe to use the 2 post cap since it looks like they all go to the same positive or should I try and find the correct caps?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1048 2 years ago

you can't buy 4 prong ones anymore, but if you look, there might be 4 prongs, but 3 of them go to the same place. so it's really only a 2 prong that is really held down with more.

#1049 2 years ago

Negative going up and down respectively.
The cluster of solder pads all connected is one lead. Then the single is the other.
Use the long black line on the original cap as reference for negative.

7D8FA4CD-A1A6-4C72-BFAB-7B0428E86668 (resized).jpeg
#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you can't buy 4 prong ones anymore, but if you look, there might be 4 prongs, but 3 of them go to the same place. so it's really only a 2 prong that is really held down with more.

Awesome. Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to double check before I go powering up and toasting a hard to find board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
West Bloomfield Township, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
Sale Pending!
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 2157 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 44.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside