245913889_918581865414739_5852051395825042657_n (resized).jpg
245972030_899443294329329_6460410288633316623_n (resized).jpg
245525218_366675928574454_6141771762566172767_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpg
IMG_0784 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.37.40 PM (resized).png
2BA492F7-089D-42FE-9B06-8EC730A2A38F (resized).jpeg
F8E7E8C3-0F9B-4527-B4AC-CC06B440B3E7 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,505 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 51.
#801 4 years ago

you don't really need to wax these. They are clearcoated from the factory.

#802 4 years ago

Was gonna go pretty light. It goes fast enough as is, just want some protection against the wear and tear of 500+ plays in a weekend.

#803 4 years ago

I never wax any of my games. i'm lazy that way.

#804 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I never wax any of my games. i'm lazy that way.

Even with my other games, it's usually just once or maybe twice a year....right before Texas Pinball Festival. Metallica hasn't been shopped in 2 years.. : P

#805 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Even with my other games, it's usually just once or maybe twice a year....right before Texas Pinball Festival. Metallica hasn't been shopped in 2 years.. : P

my LOTR has never been shopped. I got that NIB in 2007.

#806 4 years ago

A family project Devil Riders resurrection over here (northern California ).

Does anyone have a spare fuse holder for dialing in based on the AC and DC voltages? Ours has a wired work around that we want to make right as we work through all of the electronics.

The playfield cleaned up nicely so cosmetically we are in good shape.

IMG_1263.jpg

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

my LOTR has never been shopped. I got that NIB in 2007.

Well, MET got broke down, shopped, and put back together in about 5 hours yesterday. GOD there are some stupid ways that game is put together... Probably will be getting to Farfalla in the next two or three days. I noticed last night that the flippers are energized even when the machine isn't currently playing a game.

1 week later
#808 4 years ago

I had figured out the issue with the upper playfield flippers on Farfalla.... one side of the switch gate was not screwed down, and thus, you couldn't ever align it properly with the little wire hook to the switch. So that got fixed.

Only two things of concern remain....

1. Ball sometimes gets stuck if it's lightly plunged and just barely makes it to the top of the wireform. I've noticed my wifeforms are held together with what looks like wire? Are they not supposed to be welded?

2. When you play the timed 4th ball, and you subsequently run out of time, are the flippers supposed to remain active even though the game kills all scoring, switches, pops and slings, or do I have a faulty flipper relay? I looked at the schematics and I can't figure out what I'd need to replace it with, but it appears to be a 40V relay... that's all I know..

#809 4 years ago

flippers should die instantly when game time bonus stops.

You talking about the 3 rod chute that zacs use to put the ball into play? They are just held in with 4 of these brackets with round notches cut out, the rods slide in all 3 of them to form the "tube" that you shoot the ball with. Sometimes the notches get blown out and the rod can move cause the ball to get pinched. Make sure your rods are straight, or use a dab of glue to keep it in it's bracket.

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

1. Ball sometimes gets stuck if it's lightly plunged and just barely makes it to the top of the wireform. I've noticed my wifeforms are held together with what looks like wire? Are they not supposed to be welded?

I have the same issue with one of my magic castle. It was a real pain with stuck balls at MGC last year!
When I restored the game, I noticed a bit of JBweld putty on one of the arches. They weren't trying to weld it, but more hold the bar inside the arch.
I can weld it for real, but I think i'll take Neo's advice first. Roll it on a piece of glass and try to bend it straight.

#811 4 years ago

was your bar bent?

I think a little dab of epoxy when it's in it's correct spot should do the trick. Do it on the backside and you will never see it.

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ball sometimes gets stuck if it's lightly plunged and just barely makes it to the top of the wireform.

It is definitely an alignment issue to where the shooter lane wireform meets the upper playfield when you plunge the ball. If I recall on the Farfalla I worked on a few months ago, I aligned the left side of the wire form with the metal guide at the edge of the upper playfield. A light plunge should make the ball return to the shooter plunger and not get stuck on the end of the wireform. I had to loosen the 3 upper playfield screws a bit so I could shift it one way or the other. Could you post a picture of the end of the wireform at it sits now? Don't tighten up the 3 upper playfield screws until you can find the spot that will allow the ball to return to the shooter plunger.

I no longer have access to the game I worked on.

#813 4 years ago

Does anyone have a source for the 8 digit displays? Hoping to wrap up PM this week and do punchy the clown as well. After that going to fix up soccer kings so I can sell it. Its a pretty machine, but out of room :/

#814 4 years ago

I have 8 digits in stock, you need the glass or the whole thing? all are tested and working with no out gassing or burn spots.

#815 4 years ago

Here you go captain
$_57 (resized).JPG
ebay.com link:

#816 4 years ago

awesome. PM me the address and i'll head over.

#817 4 years ago

For the record, fix was done at the show. I pulled the right side bar of the wireform out and bent it a little. Also bent the lane guide at the top so if the ball rolls back, it is directed more toward the hole instead of hitting one of the ends of a wireform. That fixed about 95% of it.

Bad news though...left flipper is sticking up and worse, the plastic above the multispecial target busted in at least two places at the show.

I won best original for the game though?

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

For the record, fix was done at the show. I pulled the right side bar of the wireform out and bent it a little. Also bent the lane guide at the top so if the ball rolls back, it is directed more toward the hole instead of hitting one of the ends of a wireform. That fixed about 95% of it.
Bad news though...left flipper is sticking up and worse, the plastic above the multispecial target busted in at least two places at the show.
I won best original for the game though?

best original? Like original concept? or original non restored?

with the flipper, does it drop when you turn the game off or stay there?

#819 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

original non restored

That.

It's a mechanical bind, not the coil or transistor. I gotta get in there and look at the coil stop and plunger and replace the sleeve. Replaced the return spring at the show, and while I'm not ruling that out, doesn't seem likely at this point. Haven't even unpacked the thing yet.

#820 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That.
It's a mechanical bind, not the coil or transistor. I gotta get in there and look at the coil stop and plunger and replace the sleeve. Replaced the return spring at the show, and while I'm not ruling that out, doesn't seem likely at this point. Haven't even unpacked the thing yet.

nice. Probably the flipper is set too low and the coil might be skewed slightly. That can bind things up. Or the EOS switch is broken off and catching the end of the breaker arm.

#821 4 years ago

Checked flipper gap at the show and moved it up regardless as I noticed some light scuff marks in the clear from dragging. Not really all that worried about it, it's fixable, just have to get the living room back out of chaos mode before I can deal with it. Are there any coil stops used for Bally/Williams that are acceptable replacements in case that thing is totally effed up, or do I just have to find one that fits and dremel out the screw holes?

All I know is game was played a LOT when I wasn't having to fix things. I had to keep loading it up to 99 credits and they were going going GONE.

#822 4 years ago

you know you can set the replay scores for whatever you want and make them super low, so you never have to put credits in, or you can burn the Free play rom images dave supplies on his sight.

Set setting 30 to 1 and you are on free play.

#823 4 years ago

I was going some work this morning on magic castle and realized that when I start a game, the player display does not flash. It's confusing who is up if you do not pay attention when playing with multiple people. Any one know what could be up with that? Also has anyone every did a flipper upgrade or rebuild?

#824 4 years ago

when you play a 4 player game, do any of them flash?

#825 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you know you can set the replay scores for whatever you want and make them super low, so you never have to put credits in, or you can burn the Free play rom images dave supplies on his sight.
Set setting 30 to 1 and you are on free play.

I could if the game had a test switch wired in, or if I had a burner. Neither of which are true right now. I have the switch and the bracket, for some stupid reason it either was removed or fell off. One of the things on my hitlist when it gets unfolded.

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

when you play a 4 player game, do any of them flash?

Nope. Also not getting sounds when credits are added. From what I can tell, everything else works just fine though.

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I could if the game had a test switch wired in, or if I had a burner. Neither of which are true right now. I have the switch and the bracket, for some stupid reason it either was removed or fell off. One of the things on my hitlist when it gets unfolded.

you need a picture on how the toggle switch is wired in and to what colors? The wires still have to be there, if you have the switch, should be fairly easy to wire back in.

#828 4 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Nope. Also not getting sounds when credits are added. From what I can tell, everything else works just fine though.

I wonder if the ram has corruption in them. Have you gone through settings and set everything? If not should try it.

Remember, you have to turn dip switch 4 to on first. When going through all the settings. Change every single one of them before going to the next one. Even if you are keeping the setting the same, go around and come back to the number you want. Clear out all audits (hold down the start button for 4 seconds until all displays say 0. Audits are setting 6-9 or 6-10 (if magic castle or later)..

Try that and see if everything starts working again.

#829 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you need a picture on how the toggle switch is wired in and to what colors? The wires still have to be there, if you have the switch, should be fairly easy to wire back in.

I can probably figure it out from the schematic. It's pretty low priority in my home use situation. I'll post again about it if I need a pic or something else. Does sound like the button I have is not correct though, as it's a simple pushbutton on a bracket...there's no toggle switch or the williams style manual down/auto up type..

#830 4 years ago

the push button is for service credits. The settings are set by a spring loaded metal toggle switch mounted by the coin mechs.

#831 4 years ago

Been trying to test my displays for Soccer Kings. Can anyone confirm that all 5 display boards have to be connected? In my case if I try to test with anything less than 5 display boards hooked up to the ribbon cable the boards will fail to cycle 0-9 correctly. Some or all will go 0, 1,0,1, 4,5,4,5,8,9. Also, I have been seeing where in attract mode (displays should read all 0) the displays flicker like they are strobing to 8 and then back to 0.

In order to test I jumpered all 5 displays to player 2 since at the time it was counting from 0 to 9 correctly. I have 2 good display boards and 3 good glasses. 1 display board only lights a single comma. 2 display boards fail to show the first 2 digits (leftmost) and then the 5 and 6 digits. Really debating whether it is worth dealing with this or just converting to led.

#832 4 years ago

you PS board might have bad voltages going on. You can have any number of displays test in any spot of the ribbon cable. To verify it's not on the ribbon. Try each display in the same ribbon spot. Run through display test in diagnostics. the 010145 45 thing can be caused by a bad chip. Dave mentioned something to me when I had some goofy things going on with one display. Turned out to be a chip on that display board.

#833 4 years ago

Don't think I am explaining it well enough. If I have 4 of the 5 displays plugged in some or all of them will show the wrong numbers 0-9 when doing tests. If I switch those 4 around the issues do not follow the board. If I plug all 5 boards into the ribbon cable the issue goes away altogether. If I plug one board in that shows 0 issues when all 5 boards are plugged in and it is the only board connected, it will fail the display test by showing the wrong digits. Does that make sense?

Frankly I am tempted to sell off the set to someone who wants originals and just buy the led to get rid of it the problem altogether.

#834 4 years ago

yea, mine did that too. When I plugged the problem board in, they all wouldn't show 3,4, 5, or 6's. Once I took it out of the loop, all the rest were fine. I think you have a problem board. did you test each one, by itself one at a time?

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, mine did that too. When I plugged the problem board in, they all wouldn't show 3,4, 5, or 6's. Once I took it out of the loop, all the rest were fine. I think you have a problem board. did you test each one, by itself one at a time?

Yes and if only 1 is plugged in at a time it reads incorrectly. If all are plugged in they read correctly.

#836 4 years ago

you have a MPU board you can swap. Dave mentioned something about the MPU has chips that show digits, and mentioned the 4,5 4, 5 thing as being one of the chips that can cause that on the MPU board.

#837 4 years ago

Hi fellow Zac owners! I have a weird problem with my Farfalla, and in case it is something small and stupid I thought I'd ask here first before I make a dedicated thread. The right ball save flipper ("right kicker flipper" in the schems) does not work. It does, however, work fine in the coil test. The associated switch in the right outer exit canal (24) checks out fine as well in the switch test.

Am I looking at a CPU problem, or is there something else I should be looking at here? There are no other problems with the game.

Thanks!
Archieball

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Hi fellow Zac owners! I have a weird problem with my Farfalla, and in case it is something small and stupid I thought I'd ask here first before I make a dedicated thread. The right ball save flipper ("right kicker flipper" in the schems) does not work. It does, however, work fine in the coil test. The associated switch in the right outer exit canal (24) checks out fine as well in the switch test.
Am I looking at a CPU problem, or is there something else I should be looking at here? There are no other problems with the game.
Thanks!
Archieball

Does it work as a single flip after the drops are hit and its enabled?
It only does a single flip when it is enabled so you have to get good at it.

#839 4 years ago

make sure you test the outland switch with the ball and not your finger. It also has to be lit in order to work. You get one shot to flip. Too early and ball drains through, to late and you miss as well.

#840 4 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys! I am afraid that it is lit and it doesn't trigger while in play. I know that it is only the one shot. Very weird.

#841 4 years ago

did you check the wires on the switch? did you see if the little pads on the switch move at all when you touch them with something?

#842 4 years ago

scramble got some lovin at the midwest gaming classic this weekend. Won best in show for Rare game. Got a lot of compliments on it and people loved the music and light show. Too bad there seems to be only 4 in existence. :/ and out of the 4, 2 seem to be playing and working correctly.

IMG_20170409_165531430 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170409_165520673 (resized).jpg

#843 4 years ago

Nice, man! Year of the Zacc!

1 week later
#846 4 years ago

JuT waned to share this one. It's a rare 4 player woods queen EM. I have been after this particular one for awhile and finally the owner was ready to let it go.

IMG_9426 (resized).PNG

IMG_9427 (resized).PNG

IMG_9428 (resized).PNG

IMG_9429 (resized).PNG

#847 4 years ago

looks good. I hope that the front is only vinyl decal all over the glass. If I was going to get a woods Queen, the 4 player version is the one i'd get.

#848 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

looks good. I hope that the front is only vinyl decal all over the glass.

Yeah its a decal. I haven't peeled it off yet. And I totally agree about the 4 player. I dislike 1 player games.

3 weeks later
#849 4 years ago

I need bolts for Farfalla legs. Are those the same as normal B/W, or do I need a different size?

#850 4 years ago

they are the same as in 3/8-16 thread used on U.S. and all foreign makers too (that i know of.) It seems to be a standard. So williams/bally/gottlieb leg bolts will work fine. Also note that legs are 28.5" in length too (except for a few Zac exceptions like New Star Phoenix.)

There are 2,505 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 51.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside