You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Combat-Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a Zaccaria Combat and it worked great at the sellers house. Machine was clearly gone through and cleaned/tested. 700 miles later there are some issues. I have been through a few SS machines and resolved those issues but am new to EM.

I have fixed most of the small issues but a big one remains, I can't start a game.

The backbox is lit and the reset relay will reset scores. Starting a game makes noise like it trying to do something but nothing happens. Manually actuating the player unit does nothing but it turns and resets like it should.

The machine worked briefly but would not go past player 4 ball 1. Also the Coin SW coil is locked on, is that normal?

Working with the seller now and he has been very helpful, just figured I would put this out into the ether in case someone thinks of an obvious issue I am missing.

Thanks

John

#2 5 years ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#3 5 years ago
Combat-Schematic.pdfCombat-Schematic.pdf
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Also the Coin SW coil is locked on, is that normal?

Maybe a stuck switch on the coin door?

#5 5 years ago

make sure all your jones plugs are all the way in, Also you may want to sand the jones plugs down so they have a new surface to conduct to. Many times I have put a head back on, it didn't work, and it turned out to be a jones plug issue.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks all, will check all of that tonight. Jones plug check was the recommendation from the seller as well.

#7 5 years ago

When you push the Start button next to front door, does the Replay relay or any other relay activate?

Thanks for the schematic @brenna98. Does anyone know what these 2 switches are? Seems like one should be the Start button?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#8 5 years ago

Appears to be an issue with the game over relay. If I hold the game over relay then the game shows the correct number of players and the correct player up.

Pics and video at link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PNXZZN5LMVgcfHLR7

I thought it was the Coin SW coil that stayed on but it is the 1st coin SW add that stays on.

Getting better at reading the drawing but still pretty new. Might enlist some local help soon.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

When you push the Start button next to front door, does the Replay relay or any other relay activate?

Relays activate but game does not start. Once I hold the game over relay it lights up correctly but is fighting me to get back. I think the latch should be holding it but that stays energized keeping the game in game over status.

#10 5 years ago

Here are the 3 circuits that activate the Game Over (Trip) relay at 17G. Just to make sure we're talking about the same coil, it should be an M-28-1000 and have a Black&Yellow wire on one side of it.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#11 5 years ago

Are these things possessed by demons? I was exercising (or exorcising in this case) some relays and a random one made the machine work, can't even remember which one it was, didn't seem like a consequential one.

Was acting quirky but the more I play the more it seems to be playing correctly. EMs might run on voodoo.

Thank you all for the help.

John

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

the more I play the more it seems to be playing correctly

You'll find that to be true of all EMs. They need to be played to keep running smooth. reason being, the contacts of the switches have (or should have) an over wipe to the action. Meaning every time they close, the contacts "clean" themselves.

If you really want your EM to run like a top, study NicoVolta 's thread on his north american tour.
Basically, I "magic brush" every-single-switch and make sure they're cleaned and adjusted correctly as I go for the entire game. This makes a huge difference vs. just addressing a single issue to "get it working".

#13 5 years ago

I may have spoken too soon. I have a few lingering issues that I am going to try and work out but may look for some help. The game is mostly playable though which is nice. Learning and having fun, it is not entirely frustrating yet

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/zaccaria-combat-start-game-help?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.